Login

russian armor

Are they not fixing heavies?

7 Feb 2020, 20:35 PM

then give them a flat out price increase. not a performance nerf, no one is guna want to spend 230+ fuel on a tank that doesn't perform well in AI and AT

The right power level is about two mediums worth. Right now it's like they're worth two standard meds and a tank destroyer.

I suppose they could make them 300 FU. Manpower efficient, but big fuel guzzlers.
Only Relic postRelic 7 Feb 2020, 21:16 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Boy, this is a tough one to crack, mainly due to the way these units perform across modes.

Some people on the balance team are advocating for final tier side tech as a more equitable solution than tying heavies to all tech buildings etc.

Do people like this proposal?

Also, what (if any) further nerfs do people think would be needed in conjunction with the above?
7 Feb 2020, 21:24 PM

Some people on the balance team are advocating for final tier side tech as a more equitable solution than tying heavies to all tech buildings etc.

It'd definitely help, but then you're creating a almost wholly doctrinal tech tier.

The main problem is the heavies do everything right now. They've got the anti-tank firepower of a tank destroyer, the anti-infantry firepower of a late-game anti-infantry vehicle, and a ton of health and armour on top of that. All for the cost of two medium tanks.

They're simply just more cost effective than their price in other T4 vehicles.

Personally, I think the solution is to put that proposed sidetech cost on the heavy itself. It'd have the same effect on the first heavy, and serve as a penalty for losing them.

It's also much more straightforward to implement.
7 Feb 2020, 21:29 PM

This could work, maybe nerf anti-infantry performance (AOE or scatter) and add something to all factions final tier that is like the Brits Hammer or Anvil. 200 mp 50 fuel would probably be sufficient enough. Keep all heavies at 11-12 CP or so. Anything higher than 11 CP might be very detrimental to 3's and 4's. Ideally this will delay them in 1's and 2's with resources and map control being the limiter and CP's would be the limiting factor in team games to encourage people to attack each other instead of turtling. Or as Lago said add the 40-50 fuel cost to the heavies and make their price point similar to the King Tiger at about 270-280 fuel. Pershing can go back down to 600 mp as well. Honestly I really think doing any of the bottom 3 options in the heavy poll that Sturmpanther posted could work out as well.
7 Feb 2020, 21:32 PM

This was brought up a little while ago, and I think it could work really well. The only problem I can see, though, is how the per-requisites for the final tier would work. Some factions have massive variations to their tech costs, depending on if they're rushing or unlocking everything.

In the quote below, I figured that the 'T5' tech should be priced at the mid point between the minimum viable price (i.e. rush) and the maximum possible price (full teching).

Note: I realized when re-reading my numbers that I assumed the 'rush' build still had each faction unlocking/building every level of tech, which isn't necessary. OST could skip T3, OKW could skip a truck (skip Mech, for lowest costs), etc. I've updated those numbers.

Anyway, numbers. The idea, as Vipper suggested, is to add a "T5" to every faction, who's purpose is entirely to unlock heavy tanks. It would work much like an OST BP, in that you'd research it at your main building, and it would cost some amount of MP and Fuel. The goal of this "T5 Tech" to standardize the amount of MP and Fuel every faction has to spend to reach heavy tanks.

Detailed explanation of numbers ->

As a result, our "T5 Tech" should cost:
OST: 200mp/10f
OKW: 0mp/0f (Free)
USF: 140mp/20f
Sov: 0mp/20f

Those numbers seem pretty fair to me, for a "heavy tank tech" unlock.

If those prices seem inconsequential, they could be used as a starting point, since all they do is equalize the prices between factions. A more substantive cost could be added to those prices (ex. +200mp/+40f) if the intention of "T5" is to delay heavies, or increase the resource investment needed to field one.

Also, what (if any) further nerfs do people think would be needed in conjunction with the above?

Mostly AoE nerfs, so they don't go around wiping squads (or forcing a retreat) in a single shot. Heavies should be good/great 'generalists', but not to the degree they are now.
7 Feb 2020, 22:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

snip

MAYBE the armor (on IS2) + Tiger fix (if it was really bugged) might do the trick, specially with rolling back the CP.

The problem is trying to make heavies too viable on teamgames as that was never the case. Same case is making Super heavy TD viable on 1v1 by making them arrive way sooner and improving their performance.

You can push heavies back and normalising AoE, but to make them still viable i think they shouldn't struggle as much against VETTED TDs which get hefty pen bonuses making their armor non existent.
7 Feb 2020, 22:37 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Boy, this is a tough one to crack, mainly due to the way these units perform across modes.

You cant balance for anything beyond 1v1 2v2, not really. There are far too many variable to account for, unless something is really glaring, but that would be caught in the lower levels.

I would encourage anyone trying to figure out how to get heavies to work to look at vanilla COH1 and understand how they impacted the game, their timing, and their scaling.
7 Feb 2020, 22:44 PM

You cant balance for anything beyond 1v1 2v2, not really. There are far too many variable to account for, unless something is really glaring, but that would be caught in the lower levels.

I would encourage anyone trying to figure out how to get heavies to work to look at vanilla COH1 and understand how they impacted the game, their timing, and their scaling.

Ive always wondered why game modes dont have unique resource/CP income, is it even possible? That way 4v4's dont end up with 5 minute Tigers (exageration of course) and each gamemode is paced similarly. That would at least cause those game modes to be more conservative rather than spammy.
7 Feb 2020, 22:57 PM

A separate tech is the simplest way to adjust timing and tech cost for these units but that is not the only issue. These unit are simply way too cost efficient.

Currently a Tiger can replace a both a Brumbar and Panther.

And on the other hand some of the TD ignore the armor of these vehicles.

Possible way of fixing some of the problem.

1) Lower the price and Power level of these unit. For instance Tiger could become a Super Comet and IS-2 a Super Churchill

2) Lower the performance in one area so that these unit require additional support like the Tiger could be better at AT and the IS-2 better at AI.

3)Lower base stat so that the shock value of these unit would go down and increase the vet bonuses so that they become rewarding once vetted.

4) Lower cheesy counter like Ram+of map

Finally one has to keep in mind that the performance of these units is tied to their counters so balancing them should go hand in hand with balancing heavy TDs.
7 Feb 2020, 23:05 PM

If heavies receive multiple nerfs though, I would look to tone down the Jackson/SU-85 maybe. Although you have to take the Panther into account so maybe if the Jackson receives performance nerfs its cost should be reduced again to compensate. Firefly is probably fine in its current state especially with Brits getting multiple other buffs this patch. SU-85 is just so consistent at penetrating with vet that it makes it hard to stop unless you are able to get on top on it, but its range allows it to kite moderately well.
7 Feb 2020, 23:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Also, i would consider removing the extra range heavies get at vet 2.

7 Feb 2020, 23:28 PM

On top of the CP delays, at least the scatter (not accuracy) bonuses from veterancy have to be removed completely. If not from all tanks, then at least from Tiger(!), Pershing and maybe also IS-2.

This is an issue in all modes, the vet 2 or 3 scatter bonus of the heavies which is between 20% and 50% makes them completely overpowered since the last patch. During the times when Heavy tank scatter was still very inconsistent, these veterancy bonuses made sense but now where that is sorted out, it's basically "Destroy this vet 2 Tiger asap or you will lose all infantry units and lose the game" on many maps. Atm the majority of veterancy 2 shots against inf is either a forced retreat (with a follow-up wipe on retreat) or instant wipe.

I think with the delays and some veterancy changes, heavies could be in a good state. Their vet 0 anti inf performance is already good but with vet it becomes broken.

7 Feb 2020, 23:30 PM

To me a sidetech is an alternative to the obvious solution:

If a unit is too good for its cost, raise the cost. If the Tiger is too good for 230 fuel, make it 300 fuel. Then not only is it harder to field, it’s also harder to replace, so by reducing the availability of heavies you reduce their impact.

Another change I’d like to see is a revamp of the vet 2 scatter bonus of heavy tanks, which was ok back before the AoE changes but OP now.
7 Feb 2020, 23:33 PM

Also, i would consider removing the extra range heavies get at vet 2.

Yes please.
Standardize the ranges of all non-TD heavies to 45 at all levels of vet (+5 to IS2's vet 0 range).
7 Feb 2020, 23:53 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yes please.
Standardize the ranges of all non-TD heavies to 45 at all levels of vet (+5 to IS2's vet 0 range).

The thing is (not sure post preview patch heavy reworks) the IS2 doesn't need the extra range to work. The unit is not bad at vet 0 to vet 2, while mostly facing TD which are on the 50 range. The 60 range one is the JPIV and that is mostly an anti medium/TD.

Improve the vet 1 shell range/performance at vet 2 for all that it matters if you replace the extended range. Inclusiveor the MG upgrade.

8 Feb 2020, 00:01 AM

I'll stand by my opinion - if heavy can kill 2 meds alone, it should cost more then 2 meds(regular meds, not premium meds).
8 Feb 2020, 00:33 AM

On top of the CP delays, at least the scatter (not accuracy) bonuses from veterancy have to be removed completely. If not from all tanks, then at least from Tiger(!), Pershing and maybe also IS-2.

This is an issue in all modes, the vet 2 or 3 scatter bonus of the heavies which is between 20% and 50% makes them completely overpowered since the last patch. During the times when Heavy tank scatter was still very inconsistent, these veterancy bonuses made sense but now where that is sorted out, it's basically "Destroy this vet 2 Tiger asap or you will lose all infantry units and lose the game" on many maps. Atm the majority of veterancy 2 shots against inf is either a forced retreat or instant wipe.

I think with the delays and some veterancy changes, heavies could be in a good state. Their vet 0 anti inf performance is already good but with vet it becomes broken.

I agree with the vet neft. The tiger should have its scatter bonus removed and have the turret rotation bonus instead like the Is2 as it becomes the worse offender in deleting infantry (accuracy can stay).

Range bonus should be removed from the is2 and tiger, why do they have this anyway? The tiger can keep it's slight advantage.

Also in regards to the aoe of the base tiger, I felt something was different between the ace and the base tiger (base tiger seemed to preform better).

It's also no secret that the okw tiger is problematic, the commander upgrade makes it even worse (I hate how it can call artillery on your at guns and infantry, also the increase accuracy makes it a true beast).
8 Feb 2020, 01:01 AM

This is totally off the wall and something I just came up with so don't know how good an idea this would be... but what if you were still able to Call In Heavy Tanks at the CP that is determined to be best timing compromise between game modes but if you don't have the requisite tech buildings built then you receive a fuel income penalty ala old Tiger Ace (I have no clue what penalty would be non-game breaking). That way Heavy tanks can still be stalled for/rushed for as a strategy but that strategy isn't a no-brainer because eventually the fuel penalty would ham-string you.
8 Feb 2020, 01:14 AM

The thing is (not sure post preview patch heavy reworks) the IS2 doesn't need the extra range to work. The unit is not bad at vet 0 to vet 2, while mostly facing TD which are on the 50 range. The 60 range one is the JPIV and that is mostly an anti medium/TD.

Improve the vet 1 shell range/performance at vet 2 for all that it matters if you replace the extended range. Inclusiveor the MG upgrade.

It doesn't necessarily need the range buff, but it'll probably help with the transition to 'no vet range buff'. Right now every other heavy is at 45 range, and they gain +5 at vet 2, bringing them to 50. The IS2 starts at 40 range, but gains "+20%" (i.e. +10) at vet 2, bringing it to 50 range as well. By standardizing them all to 45, we compensate the IS2's loss of a bigger vet bonus by giving it a minor buff.

Also, it's just nice to have everything similar when making big adjustments. If a 45-range IS2 turns out to be OP, it could easily be brought back down to 40.
8 Feb 2020, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

It doesn't necessarily need the range buff, but it'll probably help with the transition to 'no vet range buff'. Right now every other heavy is at 45 range, and they gain +5 at vet 2, bringing them to 50. The IS2 starts at 40 range, but gains "+20%" (i.e. +10) at vet 2, bringing it to 50 range as well. By standardizing them all to 45, we compensate the IS2's loss of a bigger vet bonus by giving it a minor buff.

Also, it's just nice to have everything similar when making big adjustments. If a 45-range IS2 turns out to be OP, it could easily be brought back down to 40.

I don't consider a 5 range difference to be enough to kite down with TDs.

The token 5 range the Tiger got was fine when the IS2 was dominating compared to normal Tiger and it needed something to buff it.
KT is extremely slow.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 27
Russian Federation 47
Germany 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %