Login

russian armor

MG performance test

18 Sep 2019, 14:21 PM

Harry's performance test No.2 is here. Recently, I have seen a lot of people arguing about the maxims buff. So, I decided to do this test to prove if the concern is valid. As always, it is another 4 hours testing. Please finish reading the whole post before leaving any comments.

Purpose:
The test is trying to showcase the performance of all available MGs in COH2 in a testing environment. Even though a real battle could not be simulated, I personally believe the test can tell some truth.

Methods:
Suppression test:
All MGs will try to suppress a line of 5 VG squads in a group of three tests. VGs were located and determined as: Center squad, two Nearby Center squads, and two Further away squads. The MGs will only shoot at the center squad. Two Nearby Center squads, and two Further away squads will only receive suppression due to AOE.
Blob counter test:
Allies MGs will try to counter a 4 VGs blob charging for three times, and Axis MGs will try to counter a group of 3 Cons along with 1 Rifleman squad charging for three times. See if the MG will be able to stop the blob before being wiped out entirely.

Suppression test Result:
Notes:
CS stands for Time to suppress the center squad.
NS stands for Time to suppress the Nearby Center squads.
FS stands for Time to suppress the Further away squads.
CP stands for Time to pin down the center squad.
NP stands for Time to pin down the Nearby Center squads.
FP stands for Time to pin down the Further away squads.
All times are presented on average.
Unit: second

M1910 Maxim:
CS: 4.26; NS: 8.92; FS: 8.92; CP: 15.33; NP: N/A; FP: N/A.
Vikers:
CS: 3.10; NS: N/A; FS: N/A; CP: 29.09; NP: N/A; FP: N/A.
50 Cal:
CS: 2.16; NS: 6.26; FS: 15.06; CP: 14.00; NP: N/A; FP: N/A.
Mg34:
CS: 1.71; NS: 7.89; FS: 14.04; CP: 15.11; NP: N/A; FP: N/A.
Mg42:
CS: 3.56; NS: 5.57; FS: 11.9; CP: 25.52; NP: N/A; FP: N/A.
DshK:
CS: 2.67; NS: N/A; FS: N/A; CP: 12.89; NP: N/A; FP: N/A.

Blob counter test result:
Shown as: Times Successful/ Total times tested.
M1910 Maxim: 2/3
Vickers: 2/3
50 cal: 1/3
Mg34: 3/3
Mg42: 3/3
DshK: 3/3

Here is something interesting I noticed during testing
1. M1910 tear down much faster than deploy.
2. Vickers has the best ready to fire time, yet MG42 has the worst.
3. Vickers and DshK has so little AOE suppression that it could hardly suppress any nearby squads.
4. All allies MGs would receive damage while changing gunner while the axis MGs did not. (weired)

Personal background:
I am a team game player, which means, most of the times, I play 4v4 and 3v3. I usually ranked among 20 for USF and SOV, and around 70 for the other factions. I am very confident with my MG skill since it helps me to reach the top ten twice both as USF and SOV about a year ago. Personally, I don't think Maxim deserve any more buff on its stats in the future, yet I do think it should receive a price discount especially it is tec locked.
18 Sep 2019, 14:30 PM

thanks for conducting the test and sharing.
18 Sep 2019, 17:56 PM

Your 4th finding is interesting... if this can be confirmed it may be the reason why axis mgs are more difficult to wipe than an equivalent allied mg
18 Sep 2019, 18:31 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thank you for sharing and putting so much effort also into explaining the setup!
One question though! Did you test on a range map? So the ranges are shoen in colored lines, which improves reproducability.
18 Sep 2019, 19:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Sep 2019, 14:21 PMHarry

Blob counter test result:
Shown as: Times Successful/ Total times tested.
M1910 Maxim: 2/3
Vickers: 2/3
50 cal: 1/3
Mg34: 3/3
Mg42: 3/3
DshK: 3/3

Here is something interesting I noticed during testing
1. M1910 tear down much faster than deploy.
2. Vickers has the best ready to fire time, yet MG42 has the worst.
3. Vickers and DshK has so little AOE suppression that it could hardly suppress any nearby squads.
4. All allies MGs would receive damage while changing gunner while the axis MGs did not. (weired)

this does not makes sense cal 50 vicker and dshk have similar or superior aoe suppression than mg42

mg42
Suppression

Amount
AOE suppression
AOE suppression radius
dshk
Suppression

Amount
AOE suppression
AOE suppression radius

cal 50
Suppression

Amount
AOE suppression
AOE suppression radius
vicker
Suppression

Amount
0.00785 <--- this needs to be update as it got buffed to 0.008 i think
AOE suppression
AOE suppression radius
19 Sep 2019, 02:02 AM

Interesting!
My personal experience is right about mg42 slow slow ready aim time.
mg42 slow pin down, im surprised but also not.

Like i said, i always find mg42 poor at handling vet blob squads. Somehow allies can still lob a grenade and or just drop mg42 models. I guess their bars and brens and ptrs guard rifles, fire outside the suppression range or 5-6 man can take shots while suppression is on.

Would be nice if you can test model drop damage inflicted by each mg.

This puts some numbers in perspective. And suggest some vet buff for mg42 is good, because it needs to scale along the stronger allies infantry.
19 Sep 2019, 02:08 AM

Thank you for sharing and putting so much effort also into explaining the setup!
One question though! Did you test on a range map? So the ranges are shoen in colored lines, which improves reproducability.

No, I am still finding that map. If you could, please leave me a link, that will be hugely appreciated.
19 Sep 2019, 02:15 AM

this does not makes sense cal 50 vicker and dshk have similar or superior aoe suppression than mg42

mg42
Suppression

Amount
AOE suppression
AOE suppression radius
dshk
Suppression

Amount
AOE suppression
AOE suppression radius

cal 50
Suppression

Amount
AOE suppression
AOE suppression radius
vicker
Suppression

Amount
0.00785 <--- this needs to be update as it got buffed to 0.008 i think
AOE suppression
AOE suppression radius

I have also noticed this problem at the beginning.
So, instead of doing 3 groups of testing as the others. I have done the test for ten times for Mg42, Vickers, and Dshk. The result is also quite interesting. In the test, 7 out of ten times, Mg42 show suppression to the nearby squad; 4 out of ten times, DshK showed suppression to the nearby squad; and Vickers showed only once. So I decided to include DshK and Vickers into the special list, yet MG 42 did not. Also, the other Mg always showed suppression to the nearby squads during testing.
19 Sep 2019, 11:09 AM

then there must be some kind of bug

as the vikcer should be only a bit slower than a single squad suppression as they have the same AOE suppressionon

while dshk should be faster to suppress but has lower AOE of 10
19 Sep 2019, 11:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2019, 02:02 AMmrgame2
Interesting!
My personal experience is right about mg42 slow slow ready aim time.
mg42 slow pin down, im surprised but also not.

Like i said, i always find mg42 poor at handling vet blob squads. Somehow allies can still lob a grenade and or just drop mg42 models. I guess their bars and brens and ptrs guard rifles, fire outside the suppression range or 5-6 man can take shots while suppression is on.

Would be nice if you can test model drop damage inflicted by each mg.

This puts some numbers in perspective. And suggest some vet buff for mg42 is good, because it needs to scale along the stronger allies infantry.

Lmao someone is too retarded to understand the data...

The mg42 suppresses 1 second faster than the maxim and is 3 seconds faster at near blob suppression than the maxim

Likewise the mg42 in the latter test succeeds is taking out 4 squads 3/3 times (100% success rate) vs 2/3 for the maxim (67% success rate)

Lastly the mg42/34 gunner is somehow invincible during gun transition while the maxim's gunner is vulnerable to fire...

All in all your daft misinterpretation only highlights your cognitive dissonance...

Learn to read... then learn to play
19 Sep 2019, 11:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2019, 11:41 AMgbem

The mg42 suppresses 1 second faster than the maxim and is 3 seconds faster at blob suppression than the maxim

Likewise the mg42 in the latter test succeeds is taking out 4 squads 3/3 times (100% success rate) vs 2/3 for the maxim (67% success rate)

Lastly the mg42/34 gunner is somehow invincible during gun transition while the maxim's gunner is vulnerable to fire...

All in all your daft misinterpretation only highlights your cognitive dissonance...

that we don't know, i will do some testing on my own
19 Sep 2019, 11:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2019, 11:41 AMgbem

The mg42 suppresses 1 second faster than the maxim and is 3 seconds faster at near blob suppression than the maxim

It's just a classic example of someone only playing one faction. I wish he tried using a Vickers or Maxim against a blob of Axis infantry and reported back to us how it went.
19 Sep 2019, 11:53 AM

nope just tested with damage indicator on, they get damaged just fine

there is no invulnerability when they switch gunner
19 Sep 2019, 11:59 AM

and tested vicker it suppresses just fine

same as mg 42

did u really test in the same situations ?

vicker >

mg 42 >

same for dskh even tho it has lower AOE radius

19 Sep 2019, 12:03 PM

It's just a classic example of someone only playing one faction. I wish he tried using a Vickers or Maxim against a blob of Axis infantry and reported back to us how it went.

Well, if you want to reinforce the fact that maxim is by long shot shittiest HMG in game, you're on the right track, buy providing examples of all HMGs performing much better, even vickers, which is considered to lack suppression too.
19 Sep 2019, 12:13 PM

even more test all equal distance form each infantry squad of 10

OP did u really do the test fairly ?

mg 34

vicker

cal 50

u can see they all suppress nearby squad thanks to the suppression indicator

all have equal distance of 10 from each squad
19 Sep 2019, 12:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2019, 12:03 PMKatitof

Well, if you want to reinforce the fact that maxim is by long shot shittiest HMG in game, you're on the right track, buy providing examples of all HMGs performing much better, even vickers, which is considered to lack suppression too.
actaully maxim supress faster vs groups of inf than a lone squad thanks to these changes
Nearby suppression radius from 13 to 15
Nearby suppression multiplier from 1 to 1.1

and vicker got buffed to mg 42 lvl of suppression but not as fast to pin squad
19 Sep 2019, 12:42 PM

even more test all equal distance form each infantry squad of 10

u can see they all suppress nearby squad thanks to the suppression indicator

all have equal distance of 10 from each squad

Which test you did?

Suppression test:
All MGs will try to suppress a line of 5 VG squads in a group of three tests. VGs were located and determined as: Center squad, two Nearby Center squads, and two Further away squads. The MGs will only shoot at the center squad. Two Nearby Center squads, and two Further away squads will only receive suppression due to AOE.

Blob counter test:
Allies MGs will try to counter a 4 VGs blob charging for three times, and Axis MGs will try to counter a group of 3 Cons along with 1 Rifleman squad charging for three times. See if the MG will be able to stop the blob before being wiped out entirely.

19 Sep 2019, 12:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2019, 12:42 PMMaret

Which test you did?

Suppression test:

Blob counter test:

well i posted them , i put them at mid range and they got supressed really fast as u can see the mgs are all alive
19 Sep 2019, 13:00 PM

btw here is mg 42 vs maxim suppression at range 35 https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImperfectRemorsefulArkshell-mobile.mp4
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★