Login

russian armor

Uncommon death animations

19 Aug 2019, 16:36 PM

How come we never see these 3 death animations: https://imgur.com/a/JYY0bWG

I haven't seen these before, until toying around in cheatcommands with Teller mines. They only seem to occur with models behind certain types of cover getting killed by a few specific types of explosives (I can only confirm Tellers for now, nades don't trigger them).

Pretty brutal and gritty animations.

Does anyone know more about this?
19 Aug 2019, 16:39 PM

Im pretty sure they used to be in the live version back in the days (2013-14).

I dont know tho when and why they got taken out
19 Aug 2019, 16:41 PM

It's a shame they're gone, it would really add to the realism of the game. :(

The only death animation there is besides these 3 unused ones is the crawling animation afaik.
19 Aug 2019, 16:44 PM

It's a shame they're gone, it would really add to the realism of the game. :(

The only death animation there is besides these 3 unused ones is the crawling animation.

I agree, now we only have the crawlers. The 3 animations above appeared very brutal after an artillery strike or something similar, as it's obvious that the soldiers are so heavily wounded that they cannot move at all anymore
19 Aug 2019, 16:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Wild guess.

Crawlers provide vision for too long and detonate mines and other shit?
19 Aug 2019, 16:57 PM

Wild guess.

Crawlers provide vision for too long and detonate mines and other shit?

Well, the guys in these 3 animations don't crawl anymore, they only curl around in pain. :foreveralone:

The crawler animation is still there and is the only death animation that happens normally. The duration they stay alive differs.

So it can't be that, could just make it from 100% chance for a crawler when the animation triggers to 50% chance for a crawler and 50% for one of these other animations we don't get to see.
19 Aug 2019, 17:45 PM

Interesting. My guess is that it's a critical that only some weapons have and that has very strict conditions.

If that's the case, it would be possible, but a lot of work, to add it back to explosives.
19 Aug 2019, 20:09 PM

I remember these! I forget when or why they were removed, I don't know if it was even mentioned. It might have had something to do with pathfinding (dying soldier occupies space, blocking live soldiers).
19 Aug 2019, 20:33 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I remember these! I forget when or why they were removed, I don't know if it was even mentioned. It might have had something to do with pathfinding (dying soldier occupies space, blocking live soldiers).

But this should be the same for crawling soldiers?

I mean, the above posted animations are very gruesome. Maybe Relic took them out as a premeasure before CoH2 could be branded as a brutal game? My feeling is that CoH2 has lost quite a lot of it's terrifying shock factor over the last years, maybe it is part of "making the game more competitive" to not distract from competitive aspects of the game. But this is also due to the lowered wipe potential of many weapons like mortars .Seeing your soldiers die in a very "dry" sounding and looking explosion while playing a game for fun had something very distressing for me. That's why I was a bit flashed by CoH, because war was presented in a non moralistic, brutal fashion.
But that's a very wild guess. I think I have not played CoH2 long enough to remember if these animations have been in earlier builds or not.
19 Aug 2019, 20:41 PM

cuz they knew they fucked up with the game so yeah
19 Aug 2019, 22:39 PM

I am also guessing there was an idea to have "zombies" again before the game released as in CoH.

You know, those US and Wehrmacht medics from the bunkers that went around dragging wounded soldiers (like in those animations) so you could get a new squad up, was pretty effective for the Wehrmacht since you could get cheap downed volks models and get the more expensive Grenadier squad pop up after 4 volks models were collected. I guess that's why they removed it.
20 Aug 2019, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Well, the guys in these 3 animations don't crawl anymore, they only curl around in pain. :foreveralone:

The crawler animation is still there and is the only death animation that happens normally. The duration they stay alive differs.

So it can't be that, could just make it from 100% chance for a crawler when the animation triggers to 50% chance for a crawler and 50% for one of these other animations we don't get to see.

Crawling is a factor.

Providing vision for +30s after dying is another one.
20 Aug 2019, 07:54 AM

You people used ost G43 so infrequently, you already forgot about map-hack ability called "interrogation" that revealed ALL of opponents units and structures for 30 seconds and needed casualty to be used on.

I can see how crawlers got removed, because dayumn, the amount of mines they detonated, but stationary casualties being gone is just sad.

If vision was an issue, well, its not like it can't be set to 0.
20 Aug 2019, 09:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2019, 07:54 AMKatitof
You people used ost G43 so infrequently, you already forgot about map-hack ability called "interrogation" that revealed ALL of opponents units and structures for 30 seconds and needed casualty to be used on.

It's only 10 seconds of vision and clunky to use, why? Because the only death animation that happens is the crawling animation and if the casualty crawls out of range of your Grenadiers before the 5 second activation time, the ability cancels.

Quite funny if you think about it.

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2019, 07:54 AMKatitof
I can see how crawlers got removed, because dayumn, the amount of mines they detonated, but stationary casualties being gone is just sad.

Crawlers can still happen in any case, but the animations in the OP barely ever do. I've tried spotting for them in spectate and only saw them once when UKF base artillery killed a squad behind sandbags.

The animations only trigger when a squad is behind certain types of (green?) cover and gets killed by a few specific explosives, so it seems like a bug to me.

I'll try to find out if they can trigger behind any other cover type than sandbags when I've got the time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS