Login

russian armor

T34 ram inconsistency

21 Jul 2019, 00:42 AM

This ability is too random. Sometimes the t34 ram is completely underwhelming and it was totally not worth it to lose a t34 for it... for example if you only get the crew shock crit in a moment where an engine damage would have been 10x more useful.

And then sometimes the ability is completely broken and cheesy. I am mainly talking about the ability of a soviet player to delete a full health (super)heavy tank if he is lucky to get crew shock crit and then uses IL2 bomb strike with 0 chance to do anything about it (other than not getting rammed 4Head).

And a few days ago my KT got a heavy engine damage... means the tank was dead af. I didnt even know you still can get heavy engine dmg from this.

But ofc I know that the soviet player is basically losing a t34... so the ability should do something and be viable.

I personally think the very best solution would be to add a 100% chance for normal engine damage + vision glass block damage crit or however it's called, but remove all the other crits.... no more crew shock, no heavy eng. dmg.

In this way the ability is viable and consistent but without the "you cant do anything to save your tank now" cheese. With normal engine dmg you can still destroy heavy tanks with IL2 bomb but now the axis player at least has the chance to dodge some of the bombs.

Oh, and pls finally fix the bug where T34s with engine damage can still use the ram ability. I remember it not being possible some years ago and I dunno how and when this bug sneaked into the game.

21 Jul 2019, 01:31 AM

It's not supposed to be reliable. It's an absolute last resort type ability, one where losing the t34 is a given anyways
But at the same time 90fuel and 300mp for engine damage? And I thought that the conscripts AT nade was overpriced.... Part of the balancing factor is that it ISN'T super reliable it can be more and it can be less, you get the stun guaranteed but anything more is a bonus.
21 Jul 2019, 01:32 AM

Also
T-34 Ramming Manuever

If Successful: 90% chance of engine damage, 8% chance of immobilization, 2% chance of main gun destroyed.

If Failed: 5 second Crew Shock.

Not sure the pen values though
21 Jul 2019, 01:52 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Don't perticularly care what it was DESIGNED TO DO, what matters is what it SHOULD do. What it should do is guarantee engine damage and that is it. From there you can combo with flanks, il2 bombs, typhoon strafe, I really don't care. But it'd be a lot better if it wasn't such an RNG roll.

I don't see why it should be an RNG roll either. There's tactical strategy to discarding a tank inorder to combo. It shouldn't be a "oh shit, tank gonna die" button.
21 Jul 2019, 02:04 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

The penetration of the ram is 160
Also, it does 160 damage (both to self and target).

You can also see that the Relic intern had to fill in random values in the mask to not produce errors, so funny sidenote: It recharges after 2s, but has a reload of 10s which is both pointless since the T34 can't drive anyway.

Back to topic:
What about a guaranteed normal engine damage and guaranteed main gun destroyed? Would enable to take a heavy tank out of the fight and either mitigate damage to save more valuable units. Alternatively, disable the weapon for a certain amount of time, if the main gun crit is considered to strong.

The ability has a 2,5s delay, doubles the max speed, quintuples acceleration and grants heavy crush. If target is hit and penetrated, then a crit is applied. The immobilized crit is split into engine destroyed and tracks broken (maybe in earlier versions there was an effective difference), while the T34 always gets the main gun destroyed and immobilized. If it does not hit, the crew gets shocked.
21 Jul 2019, 02:49 AM

i agree with shadowlinkx37 about what it should do is more important.
I dont really know if engine damage is the way to go, but surely the crew shock time could be increased. For some reason i like the main gun break crit.
21 Jul 2019, 03:35 AM

Originally it had 1000 penetration so it did do engine damage all the time, but that was deemed too strong so they nerfed it :hansRNG:

Edit: found the patch note:
"Currently, ram is being used as a crowd control measure to disable other vehicles. The intent isn’t for a full health T34 to ram other vehicles; instead, ram should be used when the T34 is near death to highlight its usage as a last resort type ability.
No longer causes instant main gun destroyed critical
Now has a chance to cause one of the follow criticals to occur: light engine damage, heavy engine damage, immobilization, or main gun destroyed. The chance is weighed such that light engine damage has the highest occurrence where main gun destroyed has the lowest."

If the t-34 becomes useless the ability has to be incredibly strong or it must be something used as a last resort
21 Jul 2019, 04:17 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I'd take out the RNG entirely.

If hit in the front, 160 damage and 5 seconds crew shock. (This is the same as now on a fail)

If hit in the rear armor 160 damage, 5 seconds main gun disabled, and engine damage.

This adds some counterplay and gives some serious incentives to play around with this ability instead of just YOLO suiciding it for lucky RNG roles.
21 Jul 2019, 04:49 AM

Don't perticularly care what it was DESIGNED TO DO, what matters is what it SHOULD do. What it should do is guarantee engine damage and that is it. From there you can combo with flanks, il2 bombs, typhoon strafe, I really don't care. But it'd be a lot better if it wasn't such an RNG roll.

I don't see why it should be an RNG roll either. There's tactical strategy to discarding a tank inorder to combo. It shouldn't be a "oh shit, tank gonna die" button.

I played the game when it was a reliable way to disable a tank, granted it REALLY disabled a tank, but still.
Right now it's scaled with armour because of the pen value. It's less likely to disable heavy armour. Guaranteed engine damage on something like a KT or would be batshit broken and well worth the cost.

Even right now, if you know the tank is going to die you can use it as a guaranteed 160 damage and maybe bonus crits. We don't want ram to be a sure fire way to disable much more expensive armour, certainly not when you also consider things like the very prominent AT satchel and incredibly potent Su85.

Its fine as it is now, guaranteed engine damage would absolutely break the ability.
21 Jul 2019, 06:05 AM

I don't mind the ram as it is. It seems like it should be random. It shouldn't guarantee engine damage on the tank that is being rammed. If it did, then anything above a P4 would get rammed which would lead to some frustrating gameplay.
21 Jul 2019, 06:32 AM

They could implement a guaranteed engine damage or main gun crit after the tank has lost a certain amount of HP like they did with snares just play around with the percentages.

I think engine damage is far more punishing than main gun crit at least you can try to escape without gun so maybe guaranteed main gun crit when tank has less than 75% HP, engine damage if tank has less than 50% HP, not sure if it should cause heavy engine crit maybe at less 15% HP or something, at this point its nearly dead anyway.

Just to give players a bit more control on this ability both for the user and the player on the receiving end.
21 Jul 2019, 06:36 AM

As said before multiple times, the main reason of ramming is heroic act, but it is not so effective as it looks to be.

I feel like we should add some sort of that inspiration into this ability. Like, if ram connects, it emits aura of same raduis with new USF "Cover to cover" ability, giving little boosts in speed of fire and RA. Another example is "Inspire infantry" for KV-series.

Then, actual nerfing of effect on target to crew shock for 5 sec or immobilize crit for 10 sek would be justifiable. It wont be so easy to combo with offmaps because of at least 5 sec delay on most of them, but still be viable with conventional AT means to badly damage/destroy stunned target.
21 Jul 2019, 07:24 AM

For me, this ability is stupid. I used it only when the Elephant was an absolute OP. And Only the T-34 ram (which always gave one effect) + ML-20 was the only countermeasure. Now I see no point in a ram - conscripts + AT grenade + SU-85 does its job well. If the T-34 ram could destroy anti-tank guns, which would be easy for a 30 ton tank, then I would use a ram.
21 Jul 2019, 08:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2019, 04:17 AMTobis
I'd take out the RNG entirely.

If hit in the front, 160 damage and 5 seconds crew shock. (This is the same as now on a fail)

If hit in the rear armor 160 damage, 5 seconds main gun disabled, and engine damage.

This adds some counterplay and gives some serious incentives to play around with this ability instead of just YOLO suiciding it for lucky RNG roles.

This
21 Jul 2019, 09:25 AM

My thoughts - I think it should be a viable ability at all health.

I think it’s inteneded role is to a) stop a tank from rushing your SU 85s, or b) stop a tank from running away from your SU 85s.

I really don’t like the ram + Il 2 tactic. Too little user input for too much reward, and it feels bad to have control taken away from you. Maybe add a delay between contact & crit?

I’d propose this: Ram deals 160 damage to both tanks for 4-6s. The T34 gets the driver killed crit immediately for 4-6s, and the target also gets the driver killed crit for 4-6s.

This way, if an enemy tank is trying to escape, you can ram it to prevent it from escaping, or if it’s rushing you SUs you can ram it to prevent it from rushing.
Because the crits aren’t permanent, it isn’t as frustrating as well, and doesn’t discourage its use at the beginning of a fight.
21 Jul 2019, 09:53 AM

My suggestion would be:
Make the ability the vet 1 ability of the unit.
Rename it to "ramming speed"
Ability is now a skill shot increasing speed for duration
Make effects scale with veterancy
21 Jul 2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2019, 09:53 AMVipper
My suggestion would be:
Make the ability the vet 1 ability of the unit.
Rename it to "ramming speed"
Ability is now a skill shot increasing speed for duration
Make effects scale with veterancy

Do you mean that it's s still a ram against an enemy with damage/crits or just a different overdrive?
If it's a proper ram, I'm against hiding it against vet1. If it's more constistent and usable, it might be a good use for fresh throw-away T34.
21 Jul 2019, 10:33 AM

Do you mean that it's s still a ram against an enemy with damage/crits or just a different overdrive?
If it's a proper ram, I'm against hiding it against vet1. If it's more constistent and usable, it might be a good use for fresh throw-away T34.

The ability would provide a straight line acceleration boost using the current mechanics but being skilled shot instead of aimed, if the unit collided on an enemy vehicle it would ram it.

Being available on freshly built T-34 i part of problem of balancing the ability (I really do not see the consistency in being vet 0) while the cap territory is not suited for the unit. By making a vet 1 ability and making scale with veterancy one has more tools to better balance the ability.
21 Jul 2019, 12:46 PM

Really good ideas so far guys, I especially like the one from JZuna
21 Jul 2019, 17:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2019, 06:32 AMJZuna
They could implement a guaranteed engine damage or main gun crit after the tank has lost a certain amount of HP like they did with snares just play around with the percentages.

+1 great idea

I was thinking engine damage on rear armor hit, gun crit on frontal hit (if u can even do that?) but i think the hp % idea is better
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 305

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment