Login

russian armor

LMG Grens Moving Fire

31 May 2019, 15:55 PM

LMG Grens always have a hard time killing retreating or flanking units. The LMG always have to stay still/laydown whenever they are going to fire and have to rotate in order to fire at their target and the LMG gunner has the rotate speed of a tank. Maybe give it as a bonus to veteran LMG grens to fire on the move? LMG42 is best used defensively yes, but VSL upgrade on Germany infantry commander is much better compared to the Bolster squads from tommies. If VSL was nondoc LMG would be rarely used since VSL gives much more survivability and some dps making them able to punish retreating squads.

I suggest to make LMG upgrade cost higher so that they can fire on the move or give it as a veterancy bonus.
31 May 2019, 16:01 PM

Permanently Banned
Lets make 1919s,DP'S,Vickers and Brens fire on the move too then..they have the same issue.
31 May 2019, 16:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

What you are looking for is G43s.

PD: don't hit him hard with the comment guys. I know the idea is bad...
31 May 2019, 16:22 PM

The LMG Grenadier upgrade is in line with the WM playstyle of defenseive play. They’re not about wiping out units on retreat or flanking down squads. WM is about using your weapon teams to defend in depth and force a retreat so you can creep up and take territory. LMG Grenadiers contribute to this by inflicting long range damage to closing enemy infantry trying to de-crew or force off your team weapons. UKF is similar, but not identical, in this regard.

OKW on the other hand is about assault and wiping out enemy units in a more complex and maneuver centric battle.

It’s just a different style of faction. Also probably why most players prefer the OKW style of play, as it is more maneuver oriented and more similar to Soviet and USF styles of play.
31 May 2019, 16:37 PM

Yeah, G43s are killer at hunting down retreating units due to high moving accuracy. Vet 3 Gren moving LMG blob would be the most broken thing unless the moving accuracy was terrible and then what would be the point?
31 May 2019, 16:49 PM

I think moving MG fire should be limited to elite squads. It's very powerful and allows for worse micro, so one would have to be very careful making it too available.

But there's room for creativity! Maybe it could work as a timed ability or something.
31 May 2019, 16:56 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooo. We need more take position and use cover units not less. This is supposed to be a Tactical Real Time Strategy game not an "arm and attack move your do everything mainline infantry" game.
Vaz
31 May 2019, 18:38 PM

I'm not a big fan of this, I can't say the opponents I've gone against that used WM have had a hard time wiping retreaters. Not only that, but the retreating squad getting out alive is kind of a foundational thing in COH, so updates to try an break that don't sound like a good idea to me.
31 May 2019, 19:12 PM

Maybe give PG and Penal this ability?
31 May 2019, 20:10 PM

Why? They don't have LMGs.
31 May 2019, 20:15 PM

I’d rather just see VSLs added to more commanders. I enjoy the mobility and survivability it provides but some variety in the commanders that provide it would be nice. Shooting on the move lmg grens would be too much of a fundamental change.
31 May 2019, 20:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 May 2019, 15:55 PMBakairu
LMG Grens always have a hard time killing retreating or flanking units. The LMG always have to stay still/laydown whenever they are going to fire and have to rotate in order to fire at their target and the LMG gunner has the rotate speed of a tank. Maybe give it as a bonus to veteran LMG grens to fire on the move? LMG42 is best used defensively yes, but VSL upgrade on Germany infantry commander is much better compared to the Bolster squads from tommies. If VSL was nondoc LMG would be rarely used since VSL gives much more survivability and some dps making them able to punish retreating squads.

I suggest to make LMG upgrade cost higher so that they can fire on the move or give it as a veterancy bonus.

Or.... use G43s, which do exactly what you want and for less.
1 Jun 2019, 02:07 AM

Could be interesting as a vet 3 upgrade, but other than that, no. It would either be far too powerful, or the nerfs required to balance it would make G43s simply better in almost every situation.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo. We need more take position and use cover units not less. This is supposed to be a Tactical Real Time Strategy game not an "arm and attack move your do everything mainline infantry" game.

If that's the case, we really need to address the low micro auto-fire units most allied teams have that seem to counter this play style.

1 Jun 2019, 04:16 AM

The LMG Grenadier upgrade is in line with the WM playstyle of defenseive play. They’re not about wiping out units on retreat or flanking down squads. WM is about using your weapon teams to defend in depth and force a retreat so you can creep up and take territory. LMG Grenadiers contribute to this by inflicting long range damage to closing enemy infantry trying to de-crew or force off your team weapons. UKF is similar, but not identical, in this regard.

OKW on the other hand is about assault and wiping out enemy units in a more complex and maneuver centric battle.

It’s just a different style of faction. Also probably why most players prefer the OKW style of play, as it is more maneuver oriented and more similar to Soviet and USF styles of play.

I disagree kind of, because when WM tech to tanks, they cannot play defensive. Their tanks need to move and clear the way. So there is this disconnect with WM now, too much changes and counter fixes that WM is a bit lost faction, and the worst performing come late game.
1 Jun 2019, 06:18 AM

I disagree kind of, because when WM tech to tanks, they cannot play defensive.

Huh? Thats wrong, OSt tanks are the most defensive out of all factions. They are not good at offense unlike T34s, shermans etc. You still need to play with combined arms, with the tanks giving a lot of added punch.

1 Jun 2019, 07:05 AM

Huh? Thats wrong, OSt tanks are the most defensive out of all factions. They are not good at offense unlike T34s, shermans etc. You still need to play with combined arms, with the tanks giving a lot of added punch.

Ap p4 has higher rof pen and also has bigger aoe then the t34. It can take more punishment then a t34, even more when vetted. It has a vet ability to emphezise a fast agressive manouvering tank.

Yes the t34 sucks at defense but is no star at offense. Its only merit is that its relativly cheap to produce.
1 Jun 2019, 20:42 PM

I disagree kind of, because when WM tech to tanks, they cannot play defensive. Their tanks need to move and clear the way. So there is this disconnect with WM now, too much changes and counter fixes that WM is a bit lost faction, and the worst performing come late game.

WM is a faction defined by the defense, counterattack and new line of defense in depth.

Having generalist units like the Panzer IV does not negate this, and all factions require some form of offensive oriented units.

But the key to playing successfully as WM is understanding the nature of maneuver warfare, simply shooting and moving. WM is a shooting army that has some of the best firepower at range and wants to maneuver to keep the enemy at range where they can be reduced until they must retreat. Then the WM player can move up and reestablish new positions while the enemy is off the field of battle, forcing them to attack again.

The Soviets are an attrition style army that attempts to destroy the enemy in detail, by singling our enemy units and overwhelming them aiming to wipe out the unit so that the Soviet army can have an advantage in numbers that steadily grows until a decisive battle can be made where the Axis can no longer hold the line and are wiped out.

The USF are a maneuver warfare army like the WM, but favor maneuver over shooting, attempting to close with and destroy the enemy in order to take ground. Moving and attempting to gain local advantage in numbers is similar to the Soviet style of play, but where Soviets attempt to use combined arms and numbers to brute strength the enemy, the USF attempts to use speed to achieve a decisive advantage by striking where the enemy is weaker or from an undefended angle or with a unit type the enemy is specifically vulnerable to (tank destroyers vs tanks for example).

OKW basically play like Soviets, but with more powerful units that are more expensive, but still favoring attritional battle and destruction in detail.

British are basically like WM, but with funnier accents and silly hats.
2 Jun 2019, 01:33 AM

Permanently Banned
Yeah, this thread could have been closed after the 3rd post. I'm sure OP gets it by now.
3 Jun 2019, 08:03 AM
3 Jun 2019, 13:33 PM

Grens are fine as they are now and fits the Whermacht theme. G43s are what you are looking for flanking and aggressive Gren play.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★