Login

russian armor

allied artillery

11 Feb 2019, 09:51 AM

in 4v4s allied artillery completely outmatches the german ones in almost every aspect. now i know there's OP stuff on both sides that can make some unfun combinations to fight against but i think the biggest difference in power for a specific type between axis and allies is artillery.
11 Feb 2019, 09:57 AM

11 Feb 2019, 10:03 AM

Specify?

i think sextons, priest, and ml-20 are mostly better at destroying defensive positions than axis artillery (except for the stuka halftrack)
11 Feb 2019, 10:23 AM

Don't spam bunkers all over the map then?

Its not Red Alert, static defenses are very weak and arty is specifically made to hardcounter them.
11 Feb 2019, 10:54 AM

As Katitof said though try to be more mobile and aggressive as opposed to static gameplay. In addition you could build Howitzers and the Vet 1 ability will automatically fire at enemy artillery units.

On a side note it would be nice if they brought back the Panzerfeldhaubitze 18M auf Geschützwagen III/IV (Sf) Hummel from COH 1 in some way.
11 Feb 2019, 11:05 AM

On a side note it would be nice if they brought back the Panzerfeldhaubitze 18M auf Geschützwagen III/IV (Sf) Hummel from COH 1 in some way.

That aint gonna happen but for any future games it should certainly be noted that it's not very fair if one side only has static howitzers while the other has access to a variety of armored, high HP and mobile ones.
11 Feb 2019, 11:16 AM
Senior Caster Badge

As Katitof said though try to be more mobile and aggressive as opposed to static gameplay. In addition you could build Howitzers and the Vet 1 ability will automatically fire at enemy artillery units.

That's the problem where it's kind of unfair, since both Doctrines also got a drop. :/
USF has Major Recon, Brit one has flares, will just be dropped.

Countering them with a lefh is kind of impossible.

JU-87 with Commandpanther flares over them is a solution, since it will kill it in one run
11 Feb 2019, 11:33 AM

1) Lefh dies to off map in 4vs4
2) Lefh Vet 1 ability is good vs static artillery, it dos not really work vs self-propelled artillery
11 Feb 2019, 12:18 PM

meanwhile germans get to neglect high cost of tanks with resource hoarding and get premier medium tank on stock so there are something else too
11 Feb 2019, 12:28 PM

The only arty piece that is trully OP in this game is Katyusha as it can consistently wipe lone squads on demand. It is tied to huge risk though because in order to achieve this effect you need to do barrage from minimal possible range.

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2019, 11:33 AMVipper

1) Lefh dies to off map in 4vs4
2) Lefh Vet 1 ability is good vs static artillery, it dos not really work vs self-propelled artillery

Disagree with #2.
From my experience - static artillery pieces at best can be decrewed by counter barrage; self-propelled artillery may be destroyed in process if you don't stop its barrage if it got hit.

Recently I had one game where I decided to give another try to Priests. Had to stop my barrages after I fired 2nd shell as they got hit by Lefh for around half HP pool.

Counterbarrage is effective against both static and self-propelled arty.
11 Feb 2019, 13:10 PM

Disagree with #2.
From my experience - static artillery pieces at best can be decrewed by counter barrage; self-propelled artillery may be destroyed in process if you don't stop its barrage if it got hit.

Recently I had one game where I decided to give another try to Priests. Had to stop my barrages after I fired 2nd shell as they got hit by Lefh for around half HP pool.

Counterbarrage is effective against both static and self-propelled arty.

LeFH will probably win vs Ml-20 with the vest 1 ability. It will probably lose a duel with a priest or Sexton.

Even if one does not lose the duel one will probably lose the LeFH to off map vs Priest or Sexton.
11 Feb 2019, 15:54 PM

in 4v4s allied artillery completely outmatches the german ones in almost every aspect. now i know there's OP stuff on both sides that can make some unfun combinations to fight against but i think the biggest difference in power for a specific type between axis and allies is artillery.

Only USSR have access to non-doc rocket artillery. A important point to note.

Also the Lefh Vet 1 ability is very effective against enemy arty (even mobile ones due to their long barrage) so utilise it where you can. It requires 0 micro beyond getting the unit to vet 1.

Priests/Sextons will only be useful vs an enemy that is being overly defensive. In large team games an ally spamming priests/sextons will often build no tanks and become more of a hindrance than a help.
11 Feb 2019, 15:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2019, 15:54 PMGrim

Priests/Sextons will only be useful vs an enemy that is being overly defensive. In large team games an ally spamming priests/sextons will often build no tanks and become more of a hindrance than a help.

The same player that spent that much resources into LeFH get wiped and it cant recover with tanks fast enough to stop the priest/sexton spammer. So i disagree.

Offensive tactics have an upper hand here, and lots of versatility are belong to allied factions, therefore once axis factions start to get countered, its already gg for them.
11 Feb 2019, 16:09 PM

The same player that spent that much resources into LeFH get wiped and it cant recover with tanks fast enough to stop the priest/sexton spammer. So i disagree.

Offensive tactics have an upper hand here, and lots of versatility are belong to allied factions, therefore once axis factions start to get countered, its already gg for them.

if your enemy has already spammed priests/sextons then its too late to try and counter with your own artillery. The Lefh can win but it should obviously lose against multiple opponents.

No, if your enemy has ploughed all their fuel into mobile artillery then you need to push/dive with a tank. Wait for the enemy to make a push of their own and leave their arty spamming friend behind then flank and take them out. I know it often won't work that way and many things can go wrong but that's the general gist of it and is the fastest way to effectively remove a player from the game.

In truth its easier to beat people spamming mobile arty that static as you don't have to attack ground on the unit after decrewing it. This also applies to katyushas/pzwerfers and stukas.

11 Feb 2019, 16:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2019, 16:09 PMGrim
if your enemy has already spammed priests/sextons then its too late to try and counter with your own artillery. The Lefh can win but it should obviously lose against multiple opponents.

No, if your enemy has ploughed all their fuel into mobile artillery then you need to push/dive with a tank.

This does not work in practice most of the time, since Priest/Sexton spam has a high chance of wiping infantry squads and support weapons to a point where the Axis can have as many tanks as they want but they won't be able to push with them for a lack of support. On top of that the OKW HQ buildings die to about two Priest/Sexton barrages and that will severely hinder unit production as well.

Basically, arty spam in team games is just really stupid. I wish there was a way more severe cooldown on all artillery so they could only be used strategically instead of constantly raining RNG bombs all over the map.
11 Feb 2019, 16:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2019, 16:09 PMGrim

Do you have any replays where Allies won 3vs3 or 4vs4 without building howitzers or SP howitzers?
11 Feb 2019, 16:23 PM

The only arty piece that is trully OP in this game is Katyusha as it can consistently wipe lone squads on demand. It is tied to huge risk though because in order to achieve this effect you need to do barrage from minimal possible range.

And just that you contradict yourself: one Katyusha has a dense rocket volley only at a dangerously close distance. If you want a dense rocket salvo at a distance - you need two Katyushas, one jaeger unit that appeared in the rear can destroy two Katushas, which can cost you victory in game. So no, Katyusha is the most balanced artelian unit in the game.
11 Feb 2019, 16:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2019, 15:54 PMGrim

Only USSR have access to non-doc rocket artillery. A important point to note.

Also the Lefh Vet 1 ability is very effective against enemy arty (even mobile ones due to their long barrage) so utilise it where you can. It requires 0 micro beyond getting the unit to vet 1.

Where are OST Panzerwerfer and OKW walking stuka? You eat them?
11 Feb 2019, 16:42 PM

4 v 4 is cancer fest. No matter what faction you play.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★