Login

russian armor

Ostwind

29 Jan 2019, 20:13 PM

From my OKW Overhaul thread:

• Improve AA capabilities so that it matches the OKW 251 Flak Halftrack
  • Increase rate of fire on main gun. Vet 3 cooldown and reload reduction should be moved to vet 0.
  • Increase penetration so it can effectively fight Allied light armor. Penetration increased to ~80/60/50 from 55/40/35.

(On the third point: due to low accuracy values it wouldn't instagib all lights but it would be certainly strong enough to kill them when out of position or to keep them at bay.)

Nice suggestion.
29 Jan 2019, 20:22 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2019, 20:10 PMTobis

I think you're mistaken, they have identical weapons except the OKW has less scatter and better vet.

Ok that's what I meant, less scatter makes killing inf better and the accuracy bonus at vet 2 for the OKW one is absent from the Ost p4 which only gets armored skirts and better turret rotation.
29 Jan 2019, 22:27 PM
Admin Red  Badge

In all of my games I have never seen a reason to choose Ostwind instead of PIV (1v1 games) or instead of rushing T4 (2v2 games). The only reason to really build an Ostwind is to swiftly get rid of planes in case your enemy spams them. Even then one 222 and some pintle mounted MG42s were enough in 1v1 games or 222 + Flak HT from OKW ally in 2v2 games.
30 Jan 2019, 00:32 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'll start by buffing AA chances and turret rotation (so it can actually shoot at the target).

Giving suppression to the hull MGs would be a buff or a nerf? Put it basically at old 2 stacking bulletins levels of suppression.
30 Jan 2019, 09:04 AM

Oh when you said they both worked the same I assumed you meant that they both worked the same ( which isn't the case). What exactly did you mean?

They both require to be stopped to work properly. Ostwind doesn't perform on the move and when you use it as it has been designed for (stationary), it works perfectly fine. That's why I say we could add a setup time for the Ostwind that would probably help people to use it to its maximum potential.

Now Pz4 is simply too good vs infantry and medium tanks. There is absolutely no reason to build either a Stug or an Ostwind when hitting T3 as Ostheer.
I mean, it never cross my mind when I play Ostheer to build anything else than a Pz4 since it is superior/equal to the sherman, T34 and Cromwell. And that's probably the same feeling for anybody playing Oshteer since everyone basically rush for the Pz4.

And buffing reasonably the Ostwind isn't going to change this issue. If you look a the responses given here, many people want the Ostwind be able to deal with LVs and LTs. People want a Pz4 kind that comes earlier (because cheaper) but still able to fight his way vs anything on the field.
If we give some reasonable buff to the Ostwind, nobody will use it because the Pz4 will still be a better choice because of its versatility being good vs tank and infantry.
Look at the Stug, everyone stopped using it the moment it went from OP to what it is today, which is still really good tank destroyer. So that's what is going to happen to the Ostwind, or you buff it to a certain OPness and everyone will use it, or everyone will still prefer the Pz4.

NB: I'm perfectly fine with buffing Ostwind AA performance.

30 Jan 2019, 09:11 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Rate of Fire, maybe a bit scatter rework, little bit more hp, so it can win vs a t70 at least
30 Jan 2019, 09:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jan 2019, 09:11 AMd0ggY
Rate of Fire, maybe a bit scatter rework, little bit more hp, so it can win vs a t70 at least

Here is the problem:
if the unit has long scatter it will be useless vs infantry due to Small AOE if the unit has sort scatter it will be useless vs vehicles since it will collide.

There is no reason to reinvent the wheel here, simply change the weapon to work with accuracy similar to Centaur and it will be both useful vs infantry and vs Vehicles.

Or increase the accuracy so it can hit vehicles and its AOE slightly.
31 Jan 2019, 03:57 AM

Make the Ostwind a better tank for countering blobs to do this add ether suppression or more range (maybe both). This stops the tank being a pure DPS weapon like the centaur or brumbar lowering the number of wipes.
31 Jan 2019, 04:24 AM
Donator 11

I think its pretty good against lights but I wouldn't mind a more accurate shot.

Like the centaur (but with lower ROF) It tends to clip the ground half the time.
31 Jan 2019, 17:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jan 2019, 09:04 AMEsxile

They both require to be stopped to work properly. Ostwind doesn't perform on the move and when you use it as it has been designed for (stationary), it works perfectly fine. That's why I say we could add a setup time for the Ostwind that would probably help people to use it to its maximum potential.

Now Pz4 is simply too good vs infantry and medium tanks. There is absolutely no reason to build either a Stug or an Ostwind when hitting T3 as Ostheer.
I mean, it never cross my mind when I play Ostheer to build anything else than a Pz4 since it is superior/equal to the sherman, T34 and Cromwell. And that's probably the same feeling for anybody playing Oshteer since everyone basically rush for the Pz4.

And buffing reasonably the Ostwind isn't going to change this issue. If you look a the responses given here, many people want the Ostwind be able to deal with LVs and LTs. People want a Pz4 kind that comes earlier (because cheaper) but still able to fight his way vs anything on the field.
If we give some reasonable buff to the Ostwind, nobody will use it because the Pz4 will still be a better choice because of its versatility being good vs tank and infantry.
Look at the Stug, everyone stopped using it the moment it went from OP to what it is today, which is still really good tank destroyer. So that's what is going to happen to the Ostwind, or you buff it to a certain OPness and everyone will use it, or everyone will still prefer the Pz4.

NB: I'm perfectly fine with buffing Ostwind AA performance.

Whuut? its not too good ... its the only thing u got when u go T3 and u want AI....BECAUSE Ostwind sucks!

U play Axis and the enemy is spamming/blobbing inf u have 2 Lategame Tanks P4 and Brum....
the Whole T3 is messed up because of the Allied TDplay. The stug especially ...

Ost suffers also from the fact, that the allied Inf At options are much better. The Ostwind as an AI Unit faces 6 Man groups with with double Zooks/Ptrd.

It must make more dmg against Inf too actualy stop something... And maybe a ability that give u AP rounds against LV, something like the MG42 stuff
31 Jan 2019, 19:03 PM

Buff it's AI and maybe increase cost to compensate. Right now I never get it in 1v1 because of the reasons Theo stated - it's an AI tank but PZ4 is good enough at AI that it's almost always better/safer just to get that and also have the flexibility to deal with tanks. Until it can better punish players who go heavy infantry spam than a PZ4 can then it'll never see much use.
31 Jan 2019, 19:07 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

It's only 20 more fuel for a p4, less than a minute of income.

'nuff said.
31 Jan 2019, 23:02 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jan 2019, 19:07 PMTobis
It's only 20 more fuel for a p4, less than a minute of income.

'nuff said.

ostwind is 90 no?
31 Jan 2019, 23:18 PM

ostwind is 90 no?

100 last time I've checked.
31 Jan 2019, 23:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jan 2019, 23:18 PMKatitof

no wonder it's garbage....
31 Jan 2019, 23:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jan 2019, 23:18 PMKatitof

It's been 90 since DBP. Centaur's 100.
31 Jan 2019, 23:29 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I checked, it is 90 now. Still not worth it.
31 Jan 2019, 23:30 PM

HA. cough* ahem. Yes I thought so.
1 Feb 2019, 10:51 AM

Whuut? its not too good ... its the only thing u got when u go T3 and u want AI....BECAUSE Ostwind sucks!

U play Axis and the enemy is spamming/blobbing inf u have 2 Lategame Tanks P4 and Brum....
the Whole T3 is messed up because of the Allied TDplay. The stug especially ...

Ost suffers also from the fact, that the allied Inf At options are much better. The Ostwind as an AI Unit faces 6 Man groups with with double Zooks/Ptrd.

It must make more dmg against Inf too actualy stop something... And maybe a ability that give u AP rounds against LV, something like the MG42 stuff

That's pretty much the same for all factions. Or the Ostwind becomes a monster that overshadow the Pz4, or you'll always pickup the Pz4 first for its versatility even if it deal less damage to infantry.
1 Feb 2019, 11:37 AM

Making it cheaper and suppressing from the get go wouldn't make it somewhat viable?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★