Login

russian armor

Teller mines

19 Jan 2019, 21:47 PM

I have played this game for many years, thousands of hours, and as every faction. For the first time, I have decided to make an account here as I feel Teller mines are an ability that isn't too often talked about. I feel as though Teller mines have remained constant, throughout every patch, in being too punishing. Though, now I think it is the last true "cheese" ability. In regards to munition abilities, they are like the original demo-charges and urban defense booby traps: Excessively punishing for relatively little skill. If wiping a squad with 90-100 muni abilities was unfair (it was), than why isn't a 50 munition ability instantly killing a vehicle? Minesweepers are the automatic response people go to, but people forget that Minesweepers are used in response to seeing these abilities, due to mines' relative rarity. Instantly losing a light vehicle offers no chance to adapt, and as a result games tend to instantly swing heavily in the axis players' favor. I would even go as far to say that it tends to be a major reason as to why I don't even bother going light armor when playing an allied faction. I have no problem with the fact that it is a dedicated anti AT ability. I am not blind to its relatively expensive cost. My only issue is the fact that it instantly one shots every single allied light vehicle.

Therefore, I think that its damage should be reduced from 400 to 300. If this were to take place, I believe its cost should be reduced from 50 to 40 munitions. This way, the mine is still punishing, leaving the light vehicles within an inch of their lives, but doesn't immediately negate a play-style.
19 Jan 2019, 23:08 PM

Permanently Banned
Ure only gonna get wehraboo screeching for saying they were like old demos and how theyre not unbalanced or too punishing
19 Jan 2019, 23:19 PM

give wer a LT and then we talk, the max u could do is lowering the damage but changing the critical to immobilized
19 Jan 2019, 23:21 PM

why dont we just delete axis from the game?
19 Jan 2019, 23:42 PM

Ure only gonna get wehraboo screeching for saying they were like old demos and how theyre not unbalanced or too punishing

Comparing tellers to demos is pretty stupid and you should know that by now.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if tellers went down to ~350 damage and heavy engine crit so it takes a follow up faust to kill light vehicles rather than effortlessly OHK'ing everything.
19 Jan 2019, 23:45 PM

Comparing tellers to demos is pretty stupid and you should know that by now.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if tellers went down to ~350 damage and heavy engine crit so it takes a follow up faust to kill light vehicles rather than effortlessly OHK'ing everything.

Agreed. Valentine just costs too much to get blown out of existence with 60 ammo
19 Jan 2019, 23:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2019, 23:45 PMBaba
Agreed. Valentine just costs too much to get blown out of existence with 60 ammo

Valantine has 480 health and thus will survive a teller (400 DMG). Because of this 480HP it's also immune to fausts engine damage when it's on full health (like medium tanks).
19 Jan 2019, 23:50 PM

that was the joke. i think the tellermine fits the way it is. its twice as expensive as russian mines. drive your 222 through 2 of those and you have the same result as teller.
it hurts twice as much when some pesci pioneer gets your mine with his sweeper
if you want to nerf its damage, reduce the price

i used the valentine as an example because lately they are spammed more than i would be able to place mines. equip your grenadiers with lmgs and theres no ammo left to do the mine business
20 Jan 2019, 00:12 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Invised a post for excess flame and just generally being offtopic
20 Jan 2019, 00:35 AM

give wer a LT and then we talk, the max u could do is lowering the damage but changing the critical to immobilized

Copying the behavior of riegel mines would solve the one-shots vs light tanks but from late mid game and onwards it would be too OP. You cannot rescue a medium or expensive heavy tank if it drives into such a mine... they're just dead af then vs competent players
20 Jan 2019, 02:05 AM

I'd try swapping tellers and reigle effects. The ability to OHK being doctrinal AND requiring a halftrack would be better than not, and immobilize would still cover Ost weakness to lights but still require a follow up to secure the kill.
If immobilize is too much perhaps make it guaranteed heavy engine damage--still crippling but not quite as heavily
20 Jan 2019, 02:10 AM
Donator 11

S mines are cancer b/c you can lay down one of them and get like 4 mines while your idiot squads get suppressed and dive/take cover only to eat another mine. Retreat paths can often be mined should the axis player actually care to plant mines but they can be brutal.

Granted blobs should be punished and mine sweepers are a must but now that fortifications and such is so prevalent its only so much more punishing.

Tellers are well worth their price due to their damage and insta light vehicle kills.

I'd opt for a drop to health of 25% of lights if possible for teller.
S mines sure they have the sign and all but with forested maps and with all other clutter they can often be obscured and are quick to plant.
20 Jan 2019, 02:19 AM

Jesus Christ, tellers are fine. Minesweepers are 30 muni and it isn't difficult to guess where tellers would be placed. When you hit a mine, it's because you got outplayed.
20 Jan 2019, 02:36 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2019, 02:19 AMF1sh
Jesus Christ, tellers are fine. Minesweepers are 30 muni and it isn't difficult to guess where tellers would be placed. When you hit a mine, it's because you got outplayed.

Idk man say what you will one shot mines aren't rly tactical/l2P. Even demos are now perma spotted if you get close enough. You are right though, its not hard to guess where they might be but at the same time their damage/potential to overly punish is the problem.

Like I get it you pay more for the mine and therefore it should do more damage but you pay 20 muni more and it should one shot?
20 Jan 2019, 03:15 AM

The Wehrmacht's 222, with a gren or 2 is enough to scare off any light vehicle short of a Valentine or Stuart. Their light vehicle play is hardly lacking. Its not like the Wehrmacht are lacking for AT. Their front line units can deal with light armor easily if it comes too close. Do the Wehrmacht really need an ability to instantly kill a vehicle? Between Paks, Pgrens, and fausts, its not exactly uniquely hard for them to deal with light vehicles. Its one thing to set a trap using mines and AT weapons for a light vehicle in the case, for every other faction. Its another thing entirely, to just set it, forget it, and laugh when it goes off.
20 Jan 2019, 03:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2019, 02:19 AMF1sh

Replace the word "Tellers" with "original Demo-charges", and see if you have any issues with your statement. However, I agree with the statement: "When you hit a mine, it's because you got outplayed" to an extent. Its not like I'm saying that it should be removed entirely. Its not the fact that its an AT mine that I have an issue with. Its the fact that it offers no chance to adapt to your opponents strategy. Is it really too much to bare to not have an instakill ability against units? When a Gren squad walks over a soviet mine or Tommy squad over a Schu mine, you instantly react by getting minesweepers. If your Stuart hits a teller mine, why even bother? you delayed getting tanks to get light vehicles, so you might as well wait until you can have tanks that can survive a teller mine. The Soviets, (and to a lesser extent), British didn't become useless when their demo-charges couldn't easily instawipe squads anymore.
20 Jan 2019, 03:44 AM
20 Jan 2019, 06:01 AM

the main issue here is the OHK cheese of the teller is generally comparable to the squad OHK of the demo charge and like the demo can outright win a game by simply deleting 1 squad important... or in this case light vehicle without an option for counterplay when it does strike... aka it kills rather than maims

i recommend a heavy engine critical + reduction to a silver of health sort of damage for the teller (380)... that ways good teller play is still viable but no longer demo cheesy and you actually have to follow up with a faust or an at gun shot in order to get your kill
20 Jan 2019, 07:28 AM

On one hand we have superiour Light Tech(Stuart, AEC/Valentine, T-70) with both AT and AI abilities and Sdkfz.222 in OST tech tree, with little to zero ability to hurt anything above infantrymen.

But on the other hand we have superior, but slow to set up and aim AT-gun(best movable AT-gun in game, AFAIK) and superb mines to cover flanks of said AT-gun. I see nothing wrong with that.

L2P

However, S-mines are really cancer, especialy in OKW's hands. Fast to place, cheap( You still have to have at least 60 munis in your pockets however), and deadly. Some say "Watch for signs", but they are small and easy to hide in bushes or somewhat simular, if well-placed. I would look at them, not Teller mines.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★