Login

russian armor

Royal artillery

26 May 2018, 10:00 AM

Making royal artillery into a proper commander would go a long way to solving many of the Brits problems.

Currently, the only indirect fire worth building as the Brits is the land mattress. While it is decent, it serves more as area denial than anything else and is also extremely vulnerable to counter battery due to its short range. The Sexton should serve as as viable option to counter static artillery as well as break mortar/leig formations. Additionally, if it was worth building you could use it counter rocket artillery to a certain extent due to vision from the flares + a lucky shot. It should get a damage/aoe and cost increase.

The Valentine needs to be changed. As it is now, it is completely useless vs both vehicles and infantry and while its scan ability is good currently that is its only purpose. The Valentines vet 1 ability to call down supercharged rounds from the Sexton sounds cool but due to how ineffective the Sextons rounds are in combination with the Valentine struggling to even reach vet 1 due to how little damage it does makes this ability unusable. It should do more damage to allow it to vet properly as well as get an increase to the range of its vet 1 ability. As an alternative to buffing the Sextons damage/aoe, a damage/aoe buff could be give to the rounds of this ability as right now I think it is just increased range (although that is banking a lot on keeping it alive).

Perimeter overwatch is perhaps the worst ability in the game. For a boat load of munitions you can ensure that your base artillery will spend the entire duration rotating to fire at different enemy units and even then they need to be in your territory and have LOS. I don't even know if this ability is salvageable and should probably be swapped out for something else, although im not sure what.

I would also like to see a cost decrease to concentration barrage as right now 100 munitions for something that a section/sniper can do for 45 as well as firing less shells doesn't seem worth it.

Thoughts?
26 May 2018, 10:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 May 2018, 10:00 AMDarth
Making royal artillery into a proper commander would go a long way to solving many of the Brits problems.

Currently, the only indirect fire worth building as the Brits is the land mattress. While it is decent, it serves more as area denial than anything else and is also extremely vulnerable to counter battery due to its short range. The Sexton should serve as as viable option to counter static artillery as well as break mortar/leig formations. Additionally, if it was worth building you could use it counter rocket artillery to a certain extent due to vision from the flares + a lucky shot. It should get a damage/aoe and cost increase.

The Valentine needs to be changed. As it is now, it is completely useless vs both vehicles and infantry and while its scan ability is good currently that is its only purpose. The Valentines vet 1 ability to call down supercharged rounds from the Sexton sounds cool but due to how ineffective the Sextons rounds are in combination with the Valentine struggling to even reach vet 1 due to how little damage it does makes this ability unusable. It should do more damage to allow it to vet properly as well as get an increase to the range of its vet 1 ability. As an alternative to buffing the Sextons damage/aoe, a damage/aoe buff could be give to the rounds of this ability as right now I think it is just increased range (although that is banking a lot on keeping it alive).

Perimeter overwatch is perhaps the worst ability in the game. For a boat load of munitions you can ensure that your base artillery will spend the entire duration rotating to fire at different enemy units and even then they need to be in your territory and have LOS. I don't even know if this ability is salvageable and should probably be swapped out for something else, although im not sure what.

I would also like to see a cost decrease to concentration barrage as right now 100 munitions for something that a section/sniper can do for 45 as well as firing less shells doesn't seem worth it.

Thoughts?

Agreed with pretty much everything...
26 May 2018, 10:08 AM

26 May 2018, 10:08 AM

Wait. Someone wants to buff OP Sexton even more??? Are you crazy... Stupid fanboy.

26 May 2018, 10:19 AM

why every community patch don't touch this commander makes me wonder
26 May 2018, 10:57 AM

why every community patch don't touch this commander makes me wonder

Relic scope?
26 May 2018, 11:05 AM

The fact that the artillery fire can not be used without the fog of war is very stupid. Yes, this commander has lighting shells. But I repeat several times - This commander has a bug that the lighting shells are not working. But all do not care.
26 May 2018, 13:03 PM

The fact that the artillery fire can not be used without the fog of war is very stupid. Yes, this commander has lighting shells. But I repeat several times - This commander has a bug that the lighting shells are not working. But all do not care.

The thing that infuriates me the most with this inability is that if the axis were to build an arty piece or the soviets, they can fire into the FOW... This doctrine should allow the howitzers to fire into the FOW but remove the airburst if it proves to powerful.

On some maps the arty doesn't even have range anyway so =/
26 May 2018, 13:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 May 2018, 13:03 PMLatch

The thing that infuriates me the most with this inability is that if the axis were to build an arty piece or the soviets, they can fire into the FOW... This doctrine should allow the howitzers to fire into the FOW but remove the airburst if it proves to powerful.

On some maps the arty doesn't even have range anyway so =/

But other arty pieces are on maps, while the Brit arty is an off map that just happens to be on the map
26 May 2018, 23:49 PM

But other arty pieces are on maps, while the Brit arty is an off map that just happens to be on the map

damage of an on map (not even) with the restriction of an off map.

The worst of both world.

the sight restriction work with normal off map because they are powerful and not affected by range. One strike is normally enough to kill anything caught in its area.

on map firing into FOW (normally) work because of FOW penalty, and relatively low alpha strike.

The british base 25 pounder combined the worst of both type without any real advantages. It's just inferior off map.
27 May 2018, 07:40 AM

Royal artillery has been one of the most viable commanders recently as it's the only one that can counter LefHs and mortar spam. The sexton was also one of the only counters to Superheavy tank destroyers as you could force them to move constantly. Concentration barrage was the main thing that made it viable as it allowed you to not only kill LefH crews but also destroy the gun either after 1 or 2 barrages. Especially with an ally that has recon. Although royal engineers I have found to be the best this patch as you get decent recon with the command vehicle and the 10 inch incendiary basically instantly kills weapon teams, although it doesnt destroy the gun. On some maps, being sneaky with an avre can wipe a gun as well I have found.

I do agree with a lot of what was said however, I think the commander does need a revamp. Concentration barrage needs a revamp especially as paying 100 muni for something an LefH can do for free is pretty harsh (although you do get airburst).

The sexton is fine, it finally has decent anti infantry but is also extremely lethal to armour especially elefants and jagtigers as it forces them to move it making it vulnerable and stops it firing at you, also means it's down for repairs a lot which take a long time in recent patches. It could perhaps use a slight range increase though as in order to fire on an LefH you need to be on their side of the map on some maps.

Valentine I think is fine too, it's anti infantry is ok and it can crush infantry although with panzerfausts so prevalent this is pretty risky. It only costs 80 fuel and the radar is awesome so meh, it's not really meant to be a combat unit anyway, could maybe adjust it so it functions a more like an AEC by buffing MGs or something. Or maybe grant the coordinated barrage at vet 0 and make it entirely utility, that way sextons can fire anywhere you can get your valentine thus giving sextons good range.

Personally I think the artillery flares should be changed to only fire one flare but you should be able to place it like the soviet one rather than it being random. Airburst should be removed from concentration barrage but allow it to fire through fog of war again, instead making it cost say 30-40 munitions allowing you to effectively counter battery enemy LefHs and match their fire rate but keeping airburst on the infantry section and sniper barrages for area denial.

Perimeter overwatch is deceptively good to be honest, but normally I just use it for a laugh. If you can get them to 50 points and activate that it wont let them cap before the game ends. Although obviously that makes it unbelievably niche. I still would rather them change that to a better barrage though. Or make it like zeroing artillery for 1 sector with near perfect accuracy for stationary units, that would justify the price.

If you are using royal artillery you definitely need to spam munitions points rather than fuel though.
27 May 2018, 08:32 AM

valentine need to be cp 3 or 4 as soft counter for luchs :romeoMug:
27 May 2018, 13:47 PM

We had the base 25s firing into the fow and it was awful...
27 May 2018, 13:52 PM

We had the base 25s firing into the fow and it was awful...

If by awful you mean awfully bad, then you're on point.

Its on map arty, which costs 100 ammo for useless barrage.
27 May 2018, 14:18 PM

I mean came to early and combined with airburst was bat shit broken enabling the brit to erase any team weapon that gave them trouble from MG to mortar to arty piece in a click for only 100mu because things firing from the Fow highlight themselves.
27 May 2018, 15:23 PM

I think better choice for arty doc would be total rework. id make it infantry artillery based bit like infantry Company, not full arty.
27 May 2018, 15:30 PM

Make arty company upgrade arty flares to a Victor target ability so any sexton or mortar puts barrage the area would be a good start (maybe instead of the on map/off map ability)
28 May 2018, 01:04 AM

I think better choice for arty doc would be total rework. id make it infantry artillery based bit like infantry Company, not full arty.

You say that, but two of the US infantry doc ability are just giving the rifleman sandbag and lmg, something the british get by default.

the other three are mortar carrier, Time on target (concentration barrage), and priest (sexton).

the Royal artillery ability are just not very good

I mean came to early and combined with airburst was bat shit broken enabling the brit to erase any team weapon that gave them trouble from MG to mortar to arty piece in a click for only 100mu because things firing from the Fow highlight themselves.

1) the concentration barrage can't be cast into FOW. This is simple fact. They had sight on you if you were hit by it.

2) the concentration barrage throw a smoke warning, but it doesn't give sight. This is important because the regular shell suffer from a 25% percent FOW penalty. This mean the british need to maintain sight on you to make the concentration barrage effective.

3) the first warning is an auditory warning that happen instantly the moment the ability is cast, with the smoke warning appearing 1.5 second afterward.

4) the first airburst shell will "land" anywhere from 5 to 12 second after the ability is cast, with 3 more shells hitting in similar time interval. Combined with 3) this mean you have anywhere from 3.5 second to 11.5 seconds to get the hell out after the warning smoke and before the first shell. You would usually have less time to dodge against the katyusha

28 May 2018, 02:37 AM

Concentrated barrage used to be able to be called into the fow and it has since been nerfed. It's power was in its ability to for only 100mu wipe a howitzer or key garrison. It much harder to dodge with an immobile howitzer or with an MG that's not near the front. No ability should be called into the fog of war because they reduce the need for scouting.
28 May 2018, 04:11 AM

It was mostly op due to that fact that it had airburst which landed on the same place 5 times meaning it could nearly destroy all OKW deployed trucks and destroy all OST bunkers through FOW, they have removed that now. If firing artillery into fog of war is so OP why can every other faction do it? (ML-20, B4, LefH etc) And no it isn't fair because you can destroy them, they fire for free (instead of 100 muni) and anyone with a brain will not let you get close to it. You require intense teamwork and timing from your team to counter them, that is why there are so many threads complaining about them atm. That's why most people have been suggesting that they remove airburst and allow you to fire into FOW, so that it is on par with every other faction, not distinctly worse, especially seeing as the recon ability doesnt really work and will never spot an LefH because people usually build them next to their base.

Honestly the rest of the game works off countering. If it were up to me, if you take LefHs and spam mortars and want to rely on that and someone takes royal artillery, you should get countered and have to change strategy.

I agree with the need for scouting though, I think all artillery should have horrible scatter unless spotted for, that also means no artillery would be free as munitions may be required for spotting. This allows better counter play by building anti aircraft (to kill recon) or attacking munitions points. Spotting should then result in much better accuracy and one guaranteed direct hit like railway artillery does.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★