Login

russian armor

Penals have no counters

12 Apr 2017, 16:30 PM

it not like u need to come near any soviets tanks

An IS2 needs to be flanked, as does a SU85. As for t34-76s and t34-85s, they will push and you just keep one or two penals close to snare anything you come up against.
12 Apr 2017, 16:30 PM

nope...they won cause germany fought against the half world....on 3-4 fronts....over whole europe....against 1:10 tanks and infantery relation.

look how much t34 (around 80.000) where build...and shermans (around 40.000)....planes...artillery..

germany was every night under attack from bomber planes

and the half world need 3 years...while france was beaten in 8 weeks. poland (2. hugest army) in 4 weeks.

sovjets lost 3millions solders in the first monts...

yeah....now u.

Yea,right...It's not like Germany lost 90% of it's army on the Eastern Front,right? L2read

On topic: Penals just received a nerf mate...and for the AT Demo charge you need your tank to stand like 5 meters away so he can't throw it lol...soo L2P issue maybe...
Oh and Allies are destroyed by OKW and OST in the latest match-ups,even in the latest tournament...soo post za replay and maybe someone here can help you...
12 Apr 2017, 17:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2017, 16:29 PMDanielD

Ah, thanks. Do you have to aim it, or does it auto-lock like the cons at-nade?

The At satchel works like the At-nade but if you move out of range during the trow animation it is cancelled so it works when you either button or block a tank.

Like blocking a panther with your tank near a penal.

You can still trow the satchel manually in the path of a tank and if you time it right it should stick to the tank according the patch notes, haven't really done it this way so I'm not sure.

12 Apr 2017, 17:27 PM

penals are fine
12 Apr 2017, 17:27 PM

they dont beat upgraded grens. penals are medium to close range. if u start the fight with max range from the grens. grens are sure to win
12 Apr 2017, 17:36 PM

AT super nade that you can super walk away from
12 Apr 2017, 17:44 PM

I just played a game with penals to test some of the assertions in this thread, and while RNG is always a factor I found that:

LMG Grens destroy penals at mid-long range, even with a vet advantage on the penals. Flanking maybe the penals can win that 1v1 but with proper positioning you'd have to gap close and die with the penals.

A panther drove straight past some penals of mine, I targeted it with a satchel but the animation couldn't finish. Doesn't seem to me that penals are as hard a counter to tank flanks as people are claiming.
12 Apr 2017, 18:17 PM

t1 for soviets is anti infantry building. t2 is support team building. when sov go t1 then invest tons of mp and pop cap into penals. even letting them die to get stronger so so much mp spent. while soviet is going t1 u can get light vehicals to keep them at bay. and if you are killing alot of penals its hard for soviets to cap and reinforce them back. or buy other things of need. penals are easy to counter. try not to fight them close. make sure u stay far using cover asap.
12 Apr 2017, 18:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2017, 17:44 PMDanielD
I just played a game with penals to test some of the assertions in this thread, and while RNG is always a factor I found that:

LMG Grens destroy penals at mid-long range, even with a vet advantage on the penals. Flanking maybe the penals can win that 1v1 but with proper positioning you'd have to gap close and die with the penals.

A panther drove straight past some penals of mine, I targeted it with a satchel but the animation couldn't finish. Doesn't seem to me that penals are as hard a counter to tank flanks as people are claiming.

yea they usually cancel and vs decent players they wont let u ever use a satchel. it need to throw faster
12 Apr 2017, 18:38 PM
Donator 11

Yes, the circle is very small and it's enough to go out of it before animation ends. The only problem is that some incompetent players either forget about their units or don't know that it's enough to drive away and they get cought by the satchel. Then they come here to bitch about penals being so good, but in fact all they do is showing how bad they are...

So to sum up, the unit is perfectly fine ballance wise but not idiot proof. Which basically means that it will be top topic on ballance forums until it gets nerfed into oblivion again.
12 Apr 2017, 19:21 PM

The AT satchel is less an AT ability and more of a deterrent to axis vehicles just parking on them.

Because the penals used to lack any AT this was deemed a problem. Soviet T1 openings had to completely shut down axis to prevent being rushed with luchs or flame hts. This was somewhat achievable especially when they could get flamethrowers and be backed up by guards.

That whole strategy was explicitly targeted for the patch.
12 Apr 2017, 19:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

For OP

Otherwise i suggest the OP sends in a replay here:
https://www.coh2.org/forum/109/replay-reviews

so myself or one of the other strategist can help!

i ask myself everyday why in the hell are penals (strafnikis) and unexpierenced USF trainees better than german troops which fought since years on all fronts...

the german soldier was a well trained and experienced soldier.

sovjets didnt trained their soldiers in most cases...they get a hat, jacket, shoes and maybe a weapon

Big old post

TL;DR: don't make Enemy at the Gates your source of historical facts.

Ontopic opinion: they are fine, we had Penal patch balance and tournaments for quite some time for people to put some input into it.
12 Apr 2017, 20:41 PM

Permanently Banned

Man, this thread was make some smurf for troll and some axis fanboys.
Vaz
12 Apr 2017, 21:24 PM

There are plenty of counters for penals, but yea you might struggle if you limit yourself to grens and volks. MG's, light vehicles, and elite infantry still do well.
12 Apr 2017, 23:55 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2017, 21:24 PMVaz
There are plenty of counters for penals, but yea you might struggle if you limit yourself to grens and volks. MG's, light vehicles, and elite infantry still do well.

I think the main issue is that people either
A) get beat by players better than them
B) don't know how new patches change things, so aren't used to dealing with them initially.

But this thread is kind of funny because Penals got nerfed vs. infantry due to no flamethrower and addition of PTRS (I don't remember what, if any, stats were changed) so light vehicles are now less effective at countering them than before.

Just get 1-2 MGs, maybe a sniper. If you're OKW maybe get a second sturmpio after Volks for extra mid-close damage. Double ISGs can be good too, to keep the penals moving and to get lucky hits, but really, Volks w/ 2x StG. 44 should do well against penals at mid range. Pfusiliers w/ G43s are good too. Fallschirmjäger are good too I dunno. people get outplayed.
13 Apr 2017, 00:29 AM

I think the main issue is that people either
A) get beat by players better than them
B) don't know how new patches change things, so aren't used to dealing with them initially.

But this thread is kind of funny because Penals got nerfed vs. infantry due to no flamethrower and addition of PTRS (I don't remember what, if any, stats were changed) so light vehicles are now less effective at countering them than before.

Just get 1-2 MGs, maybe a sniper. If you're OKW maybe get a second sturmpio after Volks for extra mid-close damage. Double ISGs can be good too, to keep the penals moving and to get lucky hits, but really, Volks w/ 2x StG. 44 should do well against penals at mid range. Pfusiliers w/ G43s are good too. Fallschirmjäger are good too I dunno. people get outplayed.

they lost like 7% accuracy also on top of the flame loss on top of oh rah loss
13 Apr 2017, 00:52 AM

i ask myself everyday why in the hell are penals (strafnikis) and unexpierenced USF trainees better than german troops which fought since years on all fronts...

The US had experience in Africa, Italy, and France. But many US Troops fighting into Germany were veterans of previous campaigns. Yeah there were new guys too, but many of them were well trained new guys, and they had the veterans around to offer advice that training doesn't cover. Penals I would agree with, but I've long supported rebranding them as the general infantry unit.

the german soldier was a well trained and experienced soldier.

In 1941. Of course being at war for half a decade does things to your army. One of those things is that all your great soldiers are injured or killed over time, and the quality of replacements declines until the final months where they were conscripting teenagers and anyone else available (which is not portrayed in this game).

sovjets didnt trained their soldiers in most cases...they get a hat, jacket, shoes and maybe a weapon

This is a myth that has come from Western media. While there was a period during the Battle of Moscow and Battle of Stalingrad where the Soviet Union was particularly desperate, that is not the case in a game based mostly around late war.

The thing with CoH2 is it doesn't have a specified time-frame other than just "late-war". The original Eastern factions are mostly based around early 1944, the Western factions are based around late 1944, and the British Forces are based around 1945.
13 Apr 2017, 00:54 AM

Well thank crap this game is not historically accurate or the German heavy tanks would be breaking down every twenty minutes =(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagdtiger
13 Apr 2017, 07:52 AM

I'd encourage Ullumulu to read the following:

1. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
2. Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar

But as he won't, this advice will be ignored. As a result he will fail to improve himself and, therefore, remain useless to this board and to broader humanity at large (in this regard, at least).

13 Apr 2017, 09:16 AM

Their base accuracy/damage value is still a bit high for a T1 unit. 222/Luchs/AAHT? Well there is their AT super nade. They beat upgraded grens (60Munis/240MP/30MP Reinforce cost)and panzergrenadiers. And OKW is doomed against th SOVS anyway.

Their nade should be unlocked once they upgrade to PTRS. Also their accuracy/damage or ROF should be reduced.

replay,
playercard,
map,
matchup,
gamemode

pls
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L