Login

russian armor

Volks /grens

23 Jun 2016, 18:28 PM

The problem with Grens is that, in CoH1 terms, are just 4 man volks squads that can only be upgraded with the LMG that no one ever used. An army based on volks was not a good strategy in CoH1. (You at least needed medic necromancy to turn them into Grens. ;) ) As such, armies based on Grens aren't that strong.

I mean, they're balanced with conscripts.

Panzergrenadiers would've taken the role of CoH1 grenadiers but they come with StGs already which makes them unreliable at range, which drops the burden back down on Grenadiers. It makes me wish the stats and upgrades of panzergrenadiers and stormtroopers were swapped, save for the camo. I'd gladly pay for StGs if I wasn't always forced to close distances with the squad. Once they got their vet and became a bit more durable I could THEN make them take on an assault role.

This is one of the more intelligent posts I've seen regarding the Ost infantry dilemma.

IMO PzGrens should have been a hardy 3 man G43 unit with smoke/stick grenades that can repair vehicles, and there should have been a 250 Halftrack in their tier. (Or 251 should've been open top.)
23 Jun 2016, 21:31 PM

Panzergrenadiers would've taken the role of CoH1 grenadiers but they come with StGs already which makes them unreliable at range, which drops the burden back down on Grenadiers.

Panzergrenadiers actually have higher DPS than Grenadiers at range, though the LMG 42 gives the range advantage back to Grenadiers.
23 Jun 2016, 21:33 PM

Panzergrenadiers actually have higher DPS than Grenadiers at range, though the LMG 42 gives the range advantage back to Grenadiers.

7,4 is greater then 9,4 how exactly?
Because that is DPS of PGs and grens with no upgrades.
23 Jun 2016, 21:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jun 2016, 21:33 PMKatitof
7,4 is greater then 9,4 how exactly?
Because that is DPS of PGs and grens with no upgrades.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm going off year old information from memory. Have Grenadiers or Panzergrenadiers DPS changed since then?
23 Jun 2016, 21:47 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

You'll have to forgive me, I'm going off year old information from memory. Have Grenadiers or Panzergrenadiers DPS changed since then?

I thought PGs were inferior at long-range since the March Deployment years back. Nonetheless, they definitely are now, which is the topic. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOYMDi_XR7rILsk6HbAZqGihsk22t-45C_6NbQEP-m0/edit#gid=0
23 Jun 2016, 22:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jun 2016, 21:47 PMVuther
I thought PGs were inferior at long-range since the March Deployment years back. Nonetheless, they definitely are now, which is the topic. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOYMDi_XR7rILsk6HbAZqGihsk22t-45C_6NbQEP-m0/edit#gid=0

Okay so technically Grenadiers have a higher DPS rating for 3 meters near max range, but Panzergrenadiers are still better the other 32 meters. I feel we're more or less arguing semantics when you say Grenadiers are better at range. It's not technically incorrect, but that 0.8 DPS difference at max range is negligible...
23 Jun 2016, 22:08 PM

PGs are inferior to grens at long range ever since first vet revamp almost 3 years ago.
23 Jun 2016, 22:49 PM

But arent they inferior only at 30-35range?

Some time ago when I was checking, I could swear that LMG Grens were superior but only at the end of the range..
23 Jun 2016, 22:53 PM

I already mentioned this, and it was 4x MP40s in CoH, since one of the models, presumably their NCO/Squad leader, had an StG 44.

5xmp40 not 4x.

Their squad leader carries mp44 when not upgrade. But it acts like a better rifle, not a smg.
23 Jun 2016, 23:43 PM

But arent they inferior only at 30-35range?

Some time ago when I was checking, I could swear that LMG Grens were superior but only at the end of the range..

From the DPS spreadsheet, a squad of Panzergrenadiers is superior to a squad of LMG Grenadiers up to range 25, have roughly 80% of the DPS at range 30, and roughly 36% of the DPS at range 35.
24 Jun 2016, 00:05 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Okay so technically Grenadiers have a higher DPS rating for 3 meters near max range, but Panzergrenadiers are still better the other 32 meters. I feel we're more or less arguing semantics when you say Grenadiers are better at range. It's not technically incorrect, but that 0.8 DPS difference at max range is negligible...

That's per man though, so at max range an entire squad of Grens are going to be better by 3.2 DPS, which is basically the DPS of 4 Conscripts at max range ( :foreveralone: ), so ya know, comparatively, it's not nothing in practice (understandable, it definitely feels hard to understand how Combat Engineers kill anything at all with like 3.3 DPS at max range, but they technically do!)
24 Jun 2016, 01:53 AM

Well, a lot of that has to do with them not dealing damage per second, but randomly hitting 80 health entities with bullets that deal 16 damage. (This is for grens, combat engies, and conscripts, not WFA soldiers or LMGs)

They have to hit an entity five times. This will likely take a while at range, but unless there's green cover, it's still just five hits on an entity.

A good/bad roll and those conscripts drop a model in one volley.
24 Jun 2016, 02:05 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Well, a lot of that has to do with them not dealing damage per second, but randomly hitting 80 health entities with bullets that deal 16 damage. (This is for grens, combat engies, and conscripts, not WFA soldiers or LMGs)

They have to hit an entity five times. This will likely take a while at range, but unless there's green cover, it's still just five hits on an entity.

A good/bad roll and those conscripts drop a model in one volley.

Indeed, the bolt-action rifles tend to spend an instant firing and then around 4 or 5 seconds not firing. If they fired every second and hit every time, they'd have SMG DPS! Averages just tend to be small in this game, unlike say, World of Warcraft, so the scale of them is as well.
26 Jun 2016, 12:32 PM

man,in late game when you have 4 volks over vet 3 and you fight in cover,medium range vs usf,with stg volks struggle so much,i find pre patch volks better than upgraded volks with stg.I think their stg don't receive volks bonus got from veterancy
26 Jun 2016, 13:36 PM

man,in late game when you have 4 volks over vet 3 and you fight in cover,medium range vs usf,with stg volks struggle so much,i find pre patch volks better than upgraded volks with stg.I think their stg don't receive volks bonus got from veterancy

They don't snipe infantry with Shrecks anymore. That's why you think they are worse.
26 Jun 2016, 19:27 PM

Grenadiers damage is great but survivability
Is obectively god awful. Even against soviets they get creamed late game. 5 man squads are a must, and a marginal boost to received accuracy increasing their effective health with veterancy just makes sense. The squad wipes with grenadiers are constant, even with early retreats. They do not stand a chance against their rival units once veterancy comes into play and stand to get wiped easily even before then - this has been a longstanding issue ever since the advent of rifleblob spam and introduction of new units in general. During vanilla game they would also get constantly dumpstered bunching up on mines, getting 120mm mortared, and isu'ed.
26 Jun 2016, 21:12 PM

OH grens where designed to fight a 6 man squad.

Cons- larger squad Size but lacks firepower

Then the introduction of WFA changed everything to fighting

Riflemen- larger squad size and has firepower

Then now with the release of British, the allies in general now have so much "insta wipe" tools that grens haven't been updated with.

Keeping volks grens alive is never an issue, even when they lack the firepower.

Keeping a squishy 4 man gren squad is now extreamly difficult in late game.. not to mention re crewing weapons is terrible for OH. And WFA armies have FRP that adds insult to injury..
27 Jun 2016, 02:13 AM

I have no issue keeping my infantry alive as Wehrmacht, maybe it's an issue on your end. Try verifying the game cache?
27 Jun 2016, 04:17 AM

I have no issue keeping my infantry alive as Wehrmacht, maybe it's an issue on your end. Try verifying the game cache?

Thats not an argument, weak troll attempt. Sad!
27 Jun 2016, 04:53 AM

You're joking right?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS