Login

russian armor

I wish there was a 'vaulting move' option for squads.

27 Apr 2015, 22:00 PM

...and that you no longer had to manually click on an object to vault over it.

Not because I'm lazy and don't want to micro squads, it's because I am so incredibly tired of accidentally having my squads vault over cover instead of using it.

Putting squads into cover behind walls and fences can be such an infuriating pitfall. I can't be the only one driven mad by this.

I know about clicking and dragging for directional cover, but I swear a lot of the time the squads still end up hopping the fence anyway.

And hey, if I am the only one, at least I'll feel better in knowing I'm special.
27 Apr 2015, 22:11 PM

When they first announced vaulting I figured it would be implemented directly into the pathfinding. To be honest, I think it was a bit lazy not to.
27 Apr 2015, 22:24 PM

you can always uise shift button to move, whats the problem?
27 Apr 2015, 23:44 PM

I just wish the hit box was a little larger. It can be difficult sometimes to get the order right.
Neo
27 Apr 2015, 23:47 PM

+1 to OP.
28 Apr 2015, 01:15 AM
Patrion 28

I just wish the hit box was a little larger. It can be difficult sometimes to get the order right.

yeah... i often get pissed off the opposite way though, trying to put a squad into cover behind a fence and i keep clicking the fence... it basically does the opposite of what i want to do.
28 Apr 2015, 01:19 AM

yeah... i often get pissed off the opposite way though, trying to put a squad into cover behind a fence and i keep clicking the fence... it basically does the opposite of what i want to do.

i could see how that would be an annoyance. personally, i got into the habit of click-dragging into cover in coh1 just to make sure facings were right, so i don't suffer from that as much as others probably do.
28 Apr 2015, 02:14 AM

i could see how that would be an annoyance. personally, i got into the habit of click-dragging into cover in coh1 just to make sure facings were right, so i don't suffer from that as much as others probably do.

+1 on this
i always use direction thing now because it keep jump over fence but i do feel units got into cover slower than just click behind cover for 1-2secs.
28 Apr 2015, 04:39 AM

- Vault move hotkey
- "Ignore Vaulting" button to hold so that you take cover, rather than vault (sometimes the game gets confused as to which one you want to do).
28 Apr 2015, 04:50 AM

I actually had no clue about clicking and dragging for taking cover; I always thought that it was intuitive enough with just right clicking. I'm probably just wasting too much time that could be spent microing better I guess?

I've never had the problem with vaulting described here. You don't need to click that close to fences to get into cover by them. Though I have had the problem where I tell my unit to vault and they go to the other side of the fence and vault back to where they began.
28 Apr 2015, 06:40 AM

It should have been included in the pathfinding. I lost at least a hundred troops because the decided to run around a fence into the enemy's army instead of just hopping over it.

If not in regular pathfinding itself, it should have been at least in the retreat pathfinding.
28 Apr 2015, 08:31 AM

Not because I'm lazy and don't want to micro squads, it's because I am so incredibly tired of accidentally having my squads vault over cover instead of using it.

Putting squads into cover behind walls and fences can be such an infuriating pitfall. I can't be the only one driven mad by this.

I know about clicking and dragging for directional cover, but I swear a lot of the time the squads still end up hopping the fence anyway.

And hey, if I am the only one, at least I'll feel better in knowing I'm special.

I agree! Can be really annoying, happens to me in hectic situations where I'm are already busy microing like crazy. Then, when I just want to quickly send a squad behind cover they jump over it.

I feel like it happens most often when the cover runs 'parallel' to the player's view, which makes it difficult to click exactly behind the cover without making the squad jump it... and if you click a little further behind the cover, often the members of the squad don't really get in the cover.

This is probably a player-specific problem, but I feel like Relic could also really improve the vaulting system to make it more intuitive and less annoying.
28 Apr 2015, 08:48 AM

inb4

omg whhy u wont two mek the gaem less m1cr0 u n33d to b3 l337 two plai dis gaem my sc2 skillz shud beat you !!!1!11!eleven

28 Apr 2015, 09:54 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I know this isn't a complete fix for your issue but there is a way of dealing with this if you can handle the extra hotkey.

Press & hold alt to change the camera view to birdseye when you are placing on walls and cover objects. This will give you much greater accuracy in placing the squad dots in perfect position and also allow you to choose direction without vaulting. When your done, double tap backspace to go back to original camera position. This will stop you from vaulting things by accident again! :)

Hope that helps
28 Apr 2015, 10:30 AM

I wish you could toggle it as well. That would stop some stupid retreat paths as well.
28 Apr 2015, 13:07 PM

I think the idea is to reward better micro and map knowlege etc etc.
29 Apr 2015, 12:16 PM

Dragging? I often rotate camera to make it work when taking cover coming from above.
29 Apr 2015, 15:14 PM

silly, that require a lot of effort, and testing for very little gain. Especially when player could easily input the a queue of commands with shift click.

Tho i always wonder why my infantry needs to run across the fence when they could jump across a waist height wooden fence on retreat.
29 Apr 2015, 15:17 PM

It should have been included in the pathfinding. I lost at least a hundred troops because the decided to run around a fence into the enemy's army instead of just hopping over it.

If not in regular pathfinding itself, it should have been at least in the retreat pathfinding.

+1

I'd put more value in it for retreating than moving.
29 Apr 2015, 15:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think the idea is to reward better micro and map knowlege etc etc.

If you want to retreat through a fence, jump first and then retreat.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★