Login

russian armor

Counter the Heavys with USF

3 Aug 2014, 13:30 PM

At the moment everything is good but... In the last games I ever dominated the Okw with my USF but then the Panther rolls out and then the match ever turned... The problem is the USF have no nice At.

The Jackson needs to much attention in fight because you need to stay out of Panthers range because of his poor armour but he is the best at of the USF.
The M10 is cheap but he is only able to kill a panther with 3 of them.
The US pack is nice but she is so fucking fast down. There is one shot of an KT or two of an Pz4 and the Us pack is down... the soviet was much stronger. More over the bazooka is nice but she mostly doesnt penetrate the panthers armour. When the panther was able to get vet five because he ever escaped then it is realy hard to kill him. Then I spotted the KT in Okws base so I prepared for the Kt with 2 Packs and one Jackson and some bazookas. First the Kt shoots my pack down with one shell ( in this time the second pack bounced) then I flanked with the bazookas from the rear but all bounced ???? from rear ?? At the end the KT moves back with 3/4 of HP and both packs where down and the jackson had 1/2 of his Hp left. One of my bazooka shooters get killed too by one shot.. What can I do ? And keep in mind the KT is never alone he is able to turn the whole game like the Tiger Ace
3 Aug 2014, 13:55 PM

You *do* have the tools you need to counter heavy armor, but there's an asymmetry in the amount of skill you need to micro it effectively and what they need to roll in, bust some skulls and then reverse out to repair. Unless you can stand up and force them back, you're probably going to lose a tank or two trying to repel a late game Axis armored push - which means you'll be even weaker the next time they come in. You'll need to practice kiting with the Jacksons to get the best use out of them, but I feel like there is so little margin for error with them. Learning when it's OK to take some losses to secure the destruction of an enemy heavy is something you can only learn through practice yourself. As general advice I would say that you should make sure you're using your abilities to their fullest, it's easy to forget about Sherman smoke dispensers or HVAP rounds in the heat of battle, but they might be what you need to turn the tide. Vet 1 AT guns get APDS rounds too.
3 Aug 2014, 13:55 PM

That's the burden of the USF.
What you lack at micro in the early and mid game you have to compensate in the end game.
3 Aug 2014, 13:58 PM

That's the burden of the USF.
What you lack at micro in the early and mid game you have to compensate in the end game.

Not so easy to pull off in team games against equivalently skilled players - games drag longer and its easier to stall until late. Ergo USF is stronger in 1v1 than it is in 2v2 and higher.
3 Aug 2014, 14:12 PM

I think we all need to have some Panther vs Jackson practice sessions.

Ie., just to practice the range, and getting shots off then running away in time. Vs speedy Panthers that's quite tough. Whilst having to focus solely on that you need to have your infantry doing something that won't result in squad wipes :).

US is probably the toughest but most rewarding faction to play because it's so micro intense...

3 Aug 2014, 14:28 PM

You can try to do the following, uncheck the box in the options that says you want to play with the classic hotkeys, that way you will have reverse on R instead of U which makes all the difference. Countless times I thought I was telling my tanks to back up and I was mistakenly hitting Y or I.

Always have spotter units for your Jackson, either infantry or M20 utility vehicle, Stuart or even M8. Stuarts are nice because they have their stun ability and point blank engine shot but it's dependent on your teching choice. Alternatively you can also place an AT-gun behind your Jackson so that when they push you aggressively with the Panther you can reverse your Jackson out of there and if he gives chase he will drive right into your AT-guns field of fire.

Also, if you are able to close the distance with a couple of riflemen squads and throw the AT-grenade on it, the panther is basically dead in the water once its engine is broken.
3 Aug 2014, 15:00 PM

Not so easy to pull off in team games against equivalently skilled players - games drag longer and its easier to stall until late. Ergo USF is stronger in 1v1 than it is in 2v2 and higher.

That's why USF/SU team up is so powerful right now. US late game support unit is fantastic. T34/IS backed up by Jackson/M8 just crush everything short of KT/Jadgtiger (With marktarget Jackson's 90mm just melt through axis armor like butter + free vision from the plane means even smoke can't save those filthy Tigers/Panthers). For inf, with amubulance/smoke from rifleman your inf is nearly immnuned to squadwipe short of an Sturmtiger shot.
3 Aug 2014, 18:09 PM

To counter heavy armour as USF you need to be massing Shermans and keeping the Shermans alive. Its been confirmed that this is a design choice and this is how you're supposed to play the faction, lol.
3 Aug 2014, 18:13 PM

Just use M26 Pershing
3 Aug 2014, 18:53 PM

I recognized this the first day that WFA came out.

I use 2 squads with 4 bazookas to help out in the AT effort. These are often enough to do damage/delay the panzers long enough to move armor/At guns up.

Use rifle grenades.
3 Aug 2014, 19:44 PM

wait, someone actually buys bazookas?
3 Aug 2014, 20:20 PM

US late game is actually very strong, it's just that it requires VERY intense micro. Jacksons are the best TD in the game pretty much, only downside is low health, shermans are basically a stronger t-34/76 and the m8 scott is great.

Rear echelons with vet 2 become a 5 man squad, so they are very good for carrying bazookas.
3 Aug 2014, 20:24 PM

Heavy tanks are no problem for the USF.

Jackson, as before, is a wonderful tool with a spotting swuad. At vet 1 and above it can solo Tigers with no problems.

Never underestimate the power of your AT gun, either. Vet 1 gives it the range for a one off muni cost and popping the British rounds makes its pen go through the roof (vet 3 + HVAP = reliably pen KT front armour)

Zooks are Zooks, take 'em or leave 'em, but never underestimate the utility of an extra 100/200 damage on a tank from a captain squad mid fight.
3 Aug 2014, 22:06 PM

jackson is viable on about 20% of this game's maps

any time it is forced to be inside of its max firing range it dies

and yea, all of your attention has to go towards microing your jackson, meanwhile your infantry are eating grenades/being flanked because you have to babysit a 640 hp "tank"
3 Aug 2014, 22:43 PM

It really is map dependent that determines whether the jackson is garbage or not.

Honestly, I am tired of the way this game plays out late game. It wasn't fun in COH1 and it isn't fun here either. The whole stall tactic until a ridiculous tank comes out is stupid. This isn't command and conquer or something, but it sure feels like it sometimes.

Blobs, blobs, ridiculous late game heavy tanks. COH is supposed to be a more nuanced and refined game than this crap.
4 Aug 2014, 00:07 AM

Am I crazy or do you get way more fuel than you ever did in CoH1? I tihnk it's something to do with the caches and strat points providing fuel.
4 Aug 2014, 00:19 AM

Have you all forgotten Easy Eight?
4 Aug 2014, 01:02 AM

Am I crazy or do you get way more fuel than you ever did in CoH1? I tihnk it's something to do with the caches and strat points providing fuel.

The economy is very different, more or less fuel doesn't matter because it's not the same game.
4 Aug 2014, 06:01 AM

Just use M26 Pershing

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight