Login

russian armor

Counter the Heavys with USF

4 Aug 2014, 15:03 PM

Am I crazy or do you get way more fuel than you ever did in CoH1? I tihnk it's something to do with the caches and strat points providing fuel.

Teching happens way faster. In vCoH you wouldn't start seeing tanks until the 25m mark, since they were all tucked in their faction's T4 which was expensive. The only one was the Stug in Whermacht's T3. In CoH2 it's not uncommon to see them at the 15m mark (or earlier for Soviets sometimes) because teching is so much cheaper and you have higher fuel income via strat points giving you some.

This is also magnified in WFA since OKW can get an armored TD or a puma out of one of its starting tiers, and USA can beeline to tanks with a mere 140 fuel spent.

Anyway, I still feel US late game is way too dependent on the Jackson, which is very good but so incredibly fragile one misclick = dead. Basically, you often win or lose your late game based largely on how you micro your Jacksons and how much the map allows you to do so. Apart from that their AT options are very lackluster sans E8. They really need some sort of meatshield tank, or at least for bazookas not to suck, especially considering they cost fuel to get. Or maybe a heavy AT gun, did they US deploy some of those? A stolen Flak 88 :P?
4 Aug 2014, 15:17 PM

Just use M26 Pershing
yeah i tried with 2 of then, i get fucked up they cant penetrate ze Kt :rofl:
4 Aug 2014, 16:51 PM

Apart from that their AT options are very lackluster sans E8. They really need some sort of meatshield tank, or at least for bazookas not to suck, especially considering they cost fuel to get. Or maybe a heavy AT gun, did they US deploy some of those? A stolen Flak 88 :P?

A meatshield tank for the USF would certainly make things easier. In the absence of those, it seems you have to make do with M23 Smoke Grenades and the Stuart's abilities to hold enemy tanks in place and prevent them from returning fire.

As for heavier AT guns: the US employed the 90mm M2 dual-purpose gun. It was quite similar to the famed German 88m Flak 36 gun. I could see it as a doctrinal emplacement in the future.

There was also the M5 Anti-Tank gun, which was based on a 3" anti-aircraft gun and started seeing deployment in 1943. It's basically the same gun that was used on the M10, however.

They didn't use anything heavier than that, so... maybe a reverse-lend leased 17pdr gun? Again, would be conceivable as a doctrinal emplacement, like the Brits had in vCoH or the Pak43 that's in the game now.

Edit: There was also the experimental 105mm T8 gun, which could penetrate 210mm of armour at 1000 yards, but weighed 8 tons (definitely not movable by the crew) and came too late to see action in WW2.
4 Aug 2014, 17:11 PM

Edit: There was also the experimental 105mm T8 gun, which could penetrate 210mm of armour at 1000 yards, but weighed 8 tons (definitely not movable by the crew) and came too late to see action in WW2.

Nah it's cool, timelines and common sense don't matter. We've got "obersoldaten" with FLIR, Ostwinds and ICBM Launcher aka Stuka.
Hux
4 Aug 2014, 17:27 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2014, 20:20 PMBurts

Rear echelons with vet 2 become a 5 man squad, so they are very good for carrying bazookas.

This.

REs with that 5th man become a really nice AT utility squad late on in the game. By keeping them at least somewhat near a jackson you can use them as both a spotting unit as well as a light AT deterrent and against armour that 5 man just adds that extra safety net against being wiped.

if you do this, you can give your rifles BARS/1919s and make them dedicated AI to run interference with anything that might want to harm your REs. It's a nice combined arms approach.

also, Dem Vet 1 57mms <444>3
4 Aug 2014, 17:31 PM

@Katitiof
That 350 pentration also has drop off. If it follows the normal drop of the Jackson's penetration, it will STILL have 330 penetration at long range. Eat that, Tiger Tank.

@Chris
I've solo'd King Tigers with Vet 2 Jacksons (which is hardly difficult to get with the plethora of German armor). The Vet 1 HVAP Rounds ability is a necessity for it, but once you get that, it's very easy to kill King Tigers with 1 or 2 Jacksons.

Then you had a noob as opponent because my Kts are never allone and covered by shrecks
4 Aug 2014, 17:58 PM

@Chris
That 60 range the Jackson has isn't there for nothing. The HVAP Rounds penetration is still good enough to penetrate a King Tiger at max range reliably.
4 Aug 2014, 18:03 PM

As for heavier AT guns: the US employed the 90mm M2 dual-purpose gun. It was quite similar to the famed German 88m Flak 36 gun. I could see it as a doctrinal emplacement in the future.

There was also the M5 Anti-Tank gun, which was based on a 3" anti-aircraft gun and started seeing deployment in 1943. It's basically the same gun that was used on the M10, however.

They didn't use anything heavier than that, so... maybe a reverse-lend leased 17pdr gun? Again, would be conceivable as a doctrinal emplacement, like the Brits had in vCoH or the Pak43 that's in the game now.

Sweet, so there's a historical justification for it. I'd say put in the 90mm, but instead of an emplacement, to reflect US mobility, I think it should be a deployable unit. As in, the gun itself can be moved around slowly, but cannot fire in that state at all. If you want to fire it, you need to deploy it and it takes 10-15 seconds. So it's a much more inflexible weapon than a normal AT gun, but still allows you some leeway. Make it both weaker and (maybe) more expensive than a PaK 43 to compensate. That should give a backbone to US AT. As for how to access it, I doubt Relic will ever a unit to a faction's normal roster, so obviously it would be a new commander.
4 Aug 2014, 18:11 PM

wait, someone actually buys bazookas?
I love US players that don't Enjoy losing your bar/30cal blob and AA HT to my Luchs :)
4 Aug 2014, 19:17 PM

Sweet, so there's a historical justification for it. I'd say put in the 90mm, but instead of an emplacement, to reflect US mobility, I think it should be a deployable unit. As in, the gun itself can be moved around slowly, but cannot fire in that state at all. If you want to fire it, you need to deploy it and it takes 10-15 seconds. So it's a much more inflexible weapon than a normal AT gun, but still allows you some leeway. Make it both weaker and (maybe) more expensive than a PaK 43 to compensate. That should give a backbone to US AT. As for how to access it, I doubt Relic will ever a unit to a faction's normal roster, so obviously it would be a new commander.

Here's a picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_90_mm_gun_1.jpg

The thing to consider here is that it's basically the same gun that was used on the M36 Jackson so it wouldn't really an improvement in firepower, and a definite decrease in mobility. You might gain some improvement in durability, maybe, but... I think I'd rather have an emplacement.

And honestly, with the Stuart and Smoke Nade to stun, and the super-longranged AT gun and the Jackson, i'm not sure it's even necessary.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★