Login

russian armor

COH2 causing me Migranes?

18 Mar 2014, 13:18 PM

I played a lot of coh2 before christmas, and was getting a lot of migrane style headaches. Then I had a 3 month break and Ive been totally headache free, normal computer use does not bring it on, and I think other games are fine too.

But Ive just started playing coh2 again this week, and even between 1-2 hours of playing is enough to bring on a headache.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Maybe I can adjust my settings to help?

I could do with getting an eye test to make sure its not that.

This totally sucks, it effects me for the rest of my day at work etc.
18 Mar 2014, 13:26 PM

Its a common thing in RTS genre.

You really can't help it, you just suddenly start using your brain to play better subconsciously.

(sorry, had to, it was stronger them me)
18 Mar 2014, 13:29 PM

Make sure you drink a lot of water, and feel free to do some finger exercises, twist a towel now and then.

Are you feeling ladder anxiety?

Whats your mood while playing the game, do you get enraged by RNG ?

There can be many reasons for getting a headache.
18 Mar 2014, 13:30 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I find that after a couple of games that my eyes sting. Only when playing, not when casting. Seems to be worse on winter maps. Dunno tho, may be psychological :P
18 Mar 2014, 13:38 PM

I find that after a couple of games that my eyes sting. Only when playing, not when casting. Seems to be worse on winter maps. Dunno tho, may be psychological :P

That is actually caused by eyes being tired.
Its not caused by staring at screen too long alone, you focus on details/units ect.

You can't really prevent this, but you(well, everyone really) should take a break(doesn't have to be long) to just look at anything other then screen. Focus a bit on window or whatever.

The same applies to headaches, RTS games(or really detailed games) put a strain on the eyes and you have to let the eyes get some rest by looking at something else.

Sounds weird, but its exactly like that, I've got some minor expertise on this field.
18 Mar 2014, 13:58 PM

guess your brain can't take all the RNG
18 Mar 2014, 13:58 PM

Im actually really relaxed, and Ive been winning some easy games comfortably and still getting it. Its hurting me just to look at the screen now.. lol.

18 Mar 2014, 13:59 PM
Donator 11

I think both your problems may be brain freeze - try playing summer maps only
18 Mar 2014, 14:45 PM

Im actually really relaxed, and Ive been winning some easy games comfortably and still getting it. Its hurting me just to look at the screen now.. lol.

Perhaps it could be graphics settings, have you tried lowering them or disabling some extra features?

Could also be the angles, top-down is nice but it's not what our brains are used to.
18 Mar 2014, 14:47 PM
Honorary Member Badge

this means your body is telling you somthing maybe you should listen.

try adjusting bloom or anything lighting related and also explosion maybe.
18 Mar 2014, 14:49 PM

My wife cant even look at 3D games poor girl. She gets sick. Its not unheard of. I would think eye problems/strain combined with a unique setting in COH2 that your other games may not have running.
18 Mar 2014, 16:02 PM

Some people can get motion sickness playing fps games for some reason. Are you able to play other games just fine?
18 Mar 2014, 16:18 PM

Yeah I can play FPS games for ages and ages absolutely fine, well I used to not really any more.

I've already got all settings really low, appart from resolution which is high. I could try tinkering some more maybe:

I do think it has a lot to do with the level of concentration that the game can demand.
18 Mar 2014, 16:25 PM

I think the biggest reason you might be getting headaches after playing the game is when you have to deal with the constant flashing of icons, tons of eye candy, and the two phrases 1 unit will say over and over again over the course of a whole game. I too after a couple of hours of playing start acquiring these low-level migraines.
18 Mar 2014, 18:07 PM

I think the #1 culprit is staring at conscript squads trying to catch the Molotov toss.

I am so bad at it I actually zoom in and that's really headache inducing. So play only Soviets, see how that goes...

18 Mar 2014, 19:16 PM

Is v-sync on or off?

Is it the only game that gives you this headache?
18 Mar 2014, 23:08 PM

I could possibly get a headache eventually playing another game.. but only for quite a long time, which is to be expected for anyone staring at a screen for that length of time.

V-sync is currently On, which I think was default for my hardware. Settings all on medium. Top resolution with 60Htz frequency, only other option for freqency is 59.94Htz.. not sure if that would make any difference.

I will try it without v-sync and see how that is. Its not that it ALWAYS gives me a headache.. but certainly often enough for it to be noticable that it is playing coh that is bringing it on.

EDIT:
Just read up on refresh rates and v-sync (should know all this but forgoten lol). Not really worth turning v-sync off, as it would just allow my card to overwork when my monitor is limited to 60Htz.

Also higher refresh rate is best for less eye strain. Maybe a monitor that could handle 120Htz might help reduce my head aches.. but then Im not very excited at the prospect of buying a new monitor.

Interesting read:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/do-you-need-a-120hz-or-240-hz-monitor/#!AuNOh
18 Mar 2014, 23:39 PM

I'd only play Coh2 at around an hour per go, then take a break and do something else. Never would have the stamina for tourny weekends! :)
19 Mar 2014, 06:30 AM

I doubt you have migrane, it sounds more like tension headache.

Try blinking, don't play in the dark, and try not to have your head 20 cm's from screen for 1 hour constantly. Sit back every time you remember you are to close to the screenhttp

Looking and focusing on spot 20-30 meters away for few seconds every chance you get will do wonders.
19 Mar 2014, 06:50 AM

All these things could cause them --- Stress, not enough sleep, eye strain, dehydration, alcohol and some foods can trigger migraines. I get the odd visual migraine from time to time (think stress triggers mine).

When is the last time you had your eyes checked?

I'll tell you what my wife would say...and she is a doctor.

lol -----Tell him to go see his doctor!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS