Login

russian armor

How to nerf blobing WITHOUT punishing individual squads

9 Apr 2023, 17:44 PM

We already have (or had) the "incremental_target_table" accuracy bonus, which purported to increase accuracy against enemies in the scatter radius of the machine gun at certain ranges. Unfortunately nobody seems to know if it works like it is supposed to, or how it works if the documentation is wrong. There's a few hints it doesn't work (from the Attribute Editor: "effective area for machine gun projectile scatter is still in projectileext
" - meanwhile MGs have no projectile or anything pointing to something like one)

Assuming it is implemented in CoH3 - and it actually works - it could probably be rather easily utilized to increase accuracy against clumped targets, without any weird aura or proximity checks being fired every frame.
12 Apr 2023, 22:02 PM

Stopping bitching about blob control units being potent vs single squads as well would be a first step.
Stubby stug, 105 sherman, wehr command P4/brummbar, that weird brit one from armored bg.

These do the job well, unless its AT blob.

Agreed, dealing with blobs in COH3 is not that hard. Personally I don't think the balance is that bad, the bigger issues with the game are :

Poor Unit Responsiveness
-Dodging a Grenade for example is significantly harder than in COH2, the servers seem to be down graded from COH2

Horrendous Pathfinding
The pathfinding in this game is rage inducing. It is complete and utter shite. This should be a priority before adding a store or balance changes

Trash UI
The UI is still trash and an overall downgrade from COH2. The Main Menu is extremely bootleg as if it was made by a modding team rather than a serious company. At the very least they could add a COH2 Hotkeys option.

Significantly Worse Unit Animations
The ART team in COH3 is full of fail

Maps are complete ass
Map design is terrible. I would take a deep snow map or a mud map full of mud (COH2) over these trash maps in COH3

VP Tick Rate
It is way too fast now and doesn't allow people to come back from a loss early on.
13 Apr 2023, 02:40 AM

Why not just make any additional squads of a certain type beyond a certain number cost more, ie: after 4 infantry squads, the 5th costs 20mp more, then 30, etc...
13 Apr 2023, 14:59 PM

Why not just make any additional squads of a certain type beyond a certain number cost more, ie: after 4 infantry squads, the 5th costs 20mp more, then 30, etc...

It was stupid idea in CoH2 when it was suggested, its still stupid idea now.
13 Apr 2023, 18:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2023, 14:59 PMKatitof

It was stupid idea in CoH2 when it was suggested, its still stupid idea now.

why is it stupid ?
13 Apr 2023, 21:32 PM

Honestly i would see a bit new mechanic similar to cover system. Whenever you have 3 or more squad close to eachother then it drops those units get reduce reciving accuracy. Bigger the blob bigger the debuff. So imagine you move with few squad on area without cover it would work as you were on red, negative cover all the time.

It has a logical understanding that it's easiler to hit 12 enemies moving at you than 5. Mg's or rifle squads behind cover could do way more damage to charging blob and therefore drain blober manpower.

Extra suppression would be good too but mgs can be smoked, can be force to move and then that 4 squad blob is destroying everything. Firing back with 1 or 2 squad is pointless but after this mechanic you could pick few squads in return.

Kinda trading manpower for force retreat.
14 Apr 2023, 10:33 AM

why is it stupid ?

Because player should not be punished for opponent playing stupidly and not building proper counter units.

Should your tanks armor drop to 10 when opponent does not have any AT and you got 4 of them?
Should your units suddenly get weaker or more expensive, because opponent is in denial about green cover, high ground and HMGs?
15 Apr 2023, 20:55 PM

Stopping bitching about blob control units being potent vs single squads as well would be a first step.
Stubby stug, 105 sherman, wehr command P4/brummbar, that weird brit one from armored bg.

These do the job well, unless its AT blob.

LOL so u mean unless its the blob that everyone is using right now....

Coh3s meta is god awful atm. THere's a reason coh2 is averaging more players already
15 Apr 2023, 21:31 PM

This is one of those weird things about Coh in general. Coh is a simulation of real world battles but it handles the minutia of engagements so well that we expect it to be very real.

So what we see on screen is a 36 unit human ball tripping over each other in a manic Zerg blob. Or in Coh3's case with longer TTK, we have squads touching tips for 2 minutes and no one gets killed.

From a simulation/concept point of view, a blob would be several squads spread out over a large area. And units in close quarters would actually be much further away, etc. So the unit stats are designed to represent this simulation, not as we see it in game.

Of course none of that matters, it just needs to play well.

I just think that is what makes Coh really fun for me. Its ability to make you feel like you are in the fight. Making a ball and A-moving it takes that feeling away and makes Coh3 not fun to play.

So I think anything that returns that strategic immersion/feedback will greatly improve the feeling in game.

Coh2's answer was good MGs, indirect, etc. So I see alot of these options presented as things that would debuff the blobbing without making those two annoying mechanics op.
16 Apr 2023, 07:25 AM

Coh3s meta is god awful atm. THere's a reason coh2 is averaging more players already

Yeah, short range AT vehicles aren't the best counters to concentration of AT that can easily fire in any direction.

And AT blob doesn't fare all too well vs MGs, unless its pjager cancer which also gets smoke because relic.
16 Apr 2023, 10:16 AM

Then it is not a problem of blob but rather AT infantry. I think almost everyone agree they are problematic.
16 Apr 2023, 15:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Apr 2023, 21:31 PMRosbone
Coh2's answer was good MGs, indirect, etc. So I see alot of these options presented as things that would debuff the blobbing without making those two annoying mechanics op.

Bingo! People chose the burst damage options because they were efficient and dealt massive damage. Now, indirects and MGs aren't what they used to be, due to how the devs want to balance the game. I keep coming out with this debuff VS. blobs because it's an alternative to buffing burst damage weapons like indirects and rocket artillery and putting them right back into the "necessary to build or you die" territory WITHOUT affecting 1v1 gameplay or the other mechanics of the game.

I think the game actually plays very well, mechanically. The only issue I have is that the "slow TTK" design vision of the devs is completely negated by blob tactics (which is why people do it, of course). If blobs recieve more sustained damage from all small arms sources, then that would be a massive equalizer in the TTK disparity.
16 Apr 2023, 18:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2023, 07:25 AMKatitof

Yeah, short range AT vehicles aren't the best counters to concentration of AT that can easily fire in any direction.

Short range AT vehicles???

U were talking about dozer, snub stug, brumbarr, etc.

Im not complaining that a chafee gets killed by shrecks Katitof....
20 Apr 2023, 23:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2023, 10:33 AMKatitof

Because player should not be punished for opponent playing stupidly and not building proper counter units.

Should your tanks armor drop to 10 when opponent does not have any AT and you got 4 of them?
Should your units suddenly get weaker or more expensive, because opponent is in denial about green cover, high ground and HMGs?

A large part of this discussion revolves around blobs owning everything DESPITE using counter units, high ground, etc...
22 Apr 2023, 15:39 PM

Well...has the most recent balance patched help dramatically with giving the player tools to handle blobbing? MG suppression? Ability of LV to kite AT blobs?
22 Apr 2023, 20:37 PM

Well...has the most recent balance patched help dramatically with giving the player tools to handle blobbing? MG suppression? Ability of LV to kite AT blobs?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: MG suppression has made it perhaps almost too easy to shut down a blob now. You frontally charge one with a blob now and can expect to get suppresspinned quickly.

StuG III D can more plausibly get into range to take a shot without being hit before even aiming. Achtrad is very good against the ATblob now that they don't reinforce as fast as you drop models. Generally speaking, the AT boys blob is no longer able to so easily A-move through entire armies. A lot of skill micro is required. I did not know about the frankly insane scaling they used to get from the training centre, explains why fighting them always felt like OKW vs UKF again.

Schreckjaegers took quite a hit to their general power and specifically anti-inf firepower. Prob much harder to pull off that blob successfully now.

Seen a lot of players now struggle to handle grenadier x2 openers, now that combat reinforce time is rightfully loooong. Even with a reinforcement truck parked near the front, the pressure generated is a small fraction of what it used to be IMHO.

One concern is BAR rifle blobs. I did see a lot of those before the patch and used them myself too. The buffs have made them a very formidable squad overall. But LVs will chop them up easily.
22 Apr 2023, 22:08 PM

MG suppression has made it perhaps almost too easy to shut down a blob now. You frontally charge one with a blob now and can expect to get suppresspinned quickly.

Won't someone think of the children? How are they supposed to play 4v4 now?
23 Apr 2023, 15:19 PM

Short range AT vehicles???

U were talking about dozer, snub stug, brumbarr, etc.

Im not complaining that a chafee gets killed by shrecks Katitof....

Force of habit, meant to write AI.
23 Apr 2023, 15:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2023, 15:19 PMKatitof

Force of habit, meant to write AI.

Makes more sense now, but still

Do u think AT blobs should do well against Dozer/Brum? Cuz i dont. AT guns and generalist/AT tanks already counter those well enough

Infantry AT should dominate light vehicles, do decently well against standard mediums, but fall off hard against final tier dedicated AI vehicles imo
23 Apr 2023, 18:19 PM

Makes more sense now, but still

Do u think AT blobs should do well against Dozer/Brum? Cuz i dont. AT guns and generalist/AT tanks already counter those well enough

Infantry AT should dominate light vehicles, do decently well against standard mediums, but fall off hard against final tier dedicated AI vehicles imo

Unstoppable force vs immovable object situation.

Whoever shots first, wins, both rely on alpha strike to deal their damage.

And I don't agree that infantry AT should dominate LVs, this is not CoH2, LVs play much more important role in CoH3 and single AT squad should not make them irrelevant, especially since we have a faction where LVs are not optional and are required for faction to not bleed to death.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★