Login

russian armor

What was, bar none, THE most busted unit in CoH2 history?

PAGES (8)down
12 May 2022, 02:08 AM

either: "not working properly, glitchy, etc." or you can take it to mean "batshit OP, so poorly balanced it's absurd, etc."

It's this. By a long shot.
The USF minigun tanks glitch

This was so incredibly broken that it made the game basically unplayable in all modes until it was fixed. Unless you could somehow win before any USF player could rush a tank, you would lose. Not only that, it wasn't just the Sherman that could do it - the bug was (iirc) a buff stacking when crews re-entered their vehicle - so it worked with Shermans, Scotts, Stuarts, M18s, and I think even Calliopes as they still had crews. The Sherman was just the obvious choice as it was relatively cheap, had high HP, and both decent AT and AI stats - so when it switched to full auto, it tended to delete everything.

Other notable "OP/Broken" things:

1. UKF at launch. As others have said, everything in their kit was incredibly strong. Additionally, structures could brace indefinitely (the duration was longer than the cool-down), and they could be repaired at full speed while braced. As a result, picking the "Advanced Emplacement" doc meant having basically indestructible emplacements. As OST, you were effectively required to have a Mortar Halftrack in one of your docs, exclusively for the incendiary barrage. Team games were really, really bad at this time.

2. Soviet "Hit The Dirt" at (or around?) launch made units effectively immortal.

3. Soviet "Sniper Clown Car". At launch and for a while after, you could put a sniper in the scout car. The sniper was immune to counter-snipers while garrisoned, but could fire at full accuracy while the scout car was moving. This basically removed any downsides of having a sniper, while giving it incredible mobility. Your only hope (as OST) was a lucky mine, or rushing a 222/Pak.

4. OST "Laser Guided" mortar. At one point, the OST mortar was much more accurate than all other mortars in the game. This could be boosted further with various bulletins, making it effectively 'laser guided'. Any sort of support unit play was effectively impossible, and counter mortars didn't work as OST had counter-barrage on theirs.

5. OST "Jaeger Armor" Elefant stacking buffs. At one point, you could give the Elefant spotting scopes, which buffed it's LOS to something like 85. In team games, you could park an OKW Command Panther and OST Command P4 beside it to buff it even more. I believe at its worst, the Ele had something like 100 LOS, and massively increased armor.

6. OST PaK43 "Wall Hack". Early on it ignored collision, buildings, terrain - everything really. If the unit was in range, it could hit it. As a result, everyone build them right behind walls or other shot-blockers, creating "1-way force fields".

12 May 2022, 02:23 AM

...And on the flip side the original defensive commanders which were "community designed" and completely terrible...

What were they originally?
12 May 2022, 02:36 AM

6. OST PaK43 "Wall Hack". Early on it ignored collision, buildings, terrain - everything really. If the unit was in range, it could hit it. As a result, everyone build them right behind walls or other shot-blockers, creating "1-way force fields".

It still does... do you mean the British version?
12 May 2022, 04:22 AM

Huh... I was sure that had been moved to a timed ability. Guess I was mistaken; not sure what I was thinking of.
12 May 2022, 04:51 AM

Flare tripwire in every door.
12 May 2022, 07:49 AM

Nobody mentioned the old Obersoldaten that was literally SS Rambo Ubermensch.
12 May 2022, 08:20 AM

Huh... I was sure that had been moved to a timed ability. Guess I was mistaken; not sure what I was thinking of.

Well the 16 pounder has a timed ability that lets it pierce world objects snd buildings. Maybe that's what you mean?
12 May 2022, 10:07 AM

Someone remembers the patch where they made all flame weapons totally OP?

- flame nades/molotovs and wasp UC with then 35 range killed a fullhealth squad in 3 seconds. 251 flamer and Crocodile in 1 second

- all handheld flamethrowers left "lava" on the ground like bigger flamethrowers still do. Penal and USF riflemen flamer spam was almost unbeatable

- soviet doctrinal flame barrage deleted whole screen in seconds
12 May 2022, 10:23 AM

Thats the only one i actualy purposly abused against spawning elite inf behind my lines and wrecking face. I loved that it one shotted jeagers or falls etc
12 May 2022, 12:27 PM

- flame nades/molotovs and wasp UC with then 35 range killed a fullhealth squad in 3 seconds. 251 flamer and Crocodile in 1 second

- all handheld flamethrowers left "lava" on the ground like bigger flamethrowers still do. Penal and USF riflemen flamer spam was almost unbeatable

wasp UC has been dead since. It did need a nerf but they butchered the wasp UC into the ground.

The other stuff though was pure cancer, it was like the flame would touch your squad for 0.1 seconds and then it would start a chain reaction of flame criticals and death loops making the maxim death loop look like a king tiger in comparison

12 May 2022, 12:39 PM

If anyone was around for the brit-alpha. The panzer 4 lost to the valentine head on, the airlanding officer destroyed obers without losing models. There was global abilities that put everything on cooldown and were absurdly strong.

Raid gave all your infantry nade throwing automatically for 30 seconds while giving them sprint. This meant all squads got deleted.

Airbombing strike (the commando one) hit you with IL2 style strafes and rockets before bombarding the entire area with the current bombing run.
12 May 2022, 12:58 PM

honestly the molotov throwing animation for conscripts is dreadfully slow, so i can see a benefit to having the fire, you know, SET PEOPLE ON FIRE

i wonder if there was the flamethrower ability in multiplayer where you spend muni to instakill anything that was targeted
12 May 2022, 13:06 PM

It's this. By a long shot.

This was so incredibly broken that it made the game basically unplayable in all modes until it was fixed. Unless you could somehow win before any USF player could rush a tank, you would lose. Not only that, it wasn't just the Sherman that could do it - the bug was (iirc) a buff stacking when crews re-entered their vehicle - so it worked with Shermans, Scotts, Stuarts, M18s, and I think even Calliopes as they still had crews. The Sherman was just the obvious choice as it was relatively cheap, had high HP, and both decent AT and AI stats - so when it switched to full auto, it tended to delete everything.

Other notable "OP/Broken" things:

1. UKF at launch. As others have said, everything in their kit was incredibly strong. Additionally, structures could brace indefinitely (the duration was longer than the cool-down), and they could be repaired at full speed while braced. As a result, picking the "Advanced Emplacement" doc meant having basically indestructible emplacements. As OST, you were effectively required to have a Mortar Halftrack in one of your docs, exclusively for the incendiary barrage. Team games were really, really bad at this time.

2. Soviet "Hit The Dirt" at (or around?) launch made units effectively immortal.

4. OST "Laser Guided" mortar. At one point, the OST mortar was much more accurate than all other mortars in the game. This could be boosted further with various bulletins, making it effectively 'laser guided'. Any sort of support unit play was effectively impossible, and counter mortars didn't work as OST had counter-barrage on theirs.

5. OST "Jaeger Armor" Elefant stacking buffs. At one point, you could give the Elefant spotting scopes, which buffed it's LOS to something like 85. In team games, you could park an OKW Command Panther and OST Command P4 beside it to buff it even more. I believe at its worst, the Ele had something like 100 LOS, and massively increased armor.

1- then they nerfed that and then they nerfed ukf until death, the end

2- honestly its rather too weak nowadays, sounds funny though

4- so you're saying that this still isn't the case?

5- jaeger armor removing the spotting scope on the elefant is a placebo nerf - it doesn't do anything because you can do the exact same strategy with another vehicle sitting next to the elefant. You might as well not suicide that 222 and instead use it to spot half the map for your elefant

6- this...is still in the game, don't you know? any pak-43 in both factions can shoot through smoke and walls
12 May 2022, 13:07 PM

If anyone was around for the brit-alpha. The panzer 4 lost to the valentine head on,

That's bonkers.
12 May 2022, 13:09 PM

planting a tripwire + democharge on every building, the moment you see stormtroopers appear
12 May 2022, 13:34 PM

wasp UC has been dead since. It did need a nerf but they butchered the wasp UC into the ground.

Nah not true, wasp UC still very strong & required on maps that are filled with powerful green cover spots
12 May 2022, 14:50 PM

I've seen a massive increase in the number of people using the Pak43 recently. Did a streamer make a video on it or something?

For 350mp and 45 fuel (I think) the pak43 is insane value.
12 May 2022, 15:15 PM

If anyone was around for the brit-alpha. The panzer 4 lost to the valentine head on, the airlanding officer destroyed obers without losing models. There was global abilities that put everything on cooldown and were absurdly strong.

Raid gave all your infantry nade throwing automatically for 30 seconds while giving them sprint. This meant all squads got deleted.

Airbombing strike (the commando one) hit you with IL2 style strafes and rockets before bombarding the entire area with the current bombing run.

Oh and now i recall the vickers bug patch, i think if you had vet 1 you got increased range, but there was a bug where you could enter and leave a trench over and over and it would increase the range essentially every time so it got to the point where it could see into bases and pin everything. Actually insane.
12 May 2022, 15:55 PM
Honorary Member Badge

What were they originally?

I can't find the original German one but here is the Soviet one.

Note that none of this is more than 2CP, you have nothing to spend munitions on and none of it scales into the late game

Soviet Defensive Tactics
2CP-DSHK Heavy Machinegun

The DSHK heavy machinegun can be deployed to the battlefield. Effective vs. infantry and lightly armored vehicles.
2CP-PMD-6 Mine

These light mines can be constructed by combat engineers. They are cheap, and powerful vs. infantry when planted in clusters.

2CP-HM-38 120mm Mortar

Call in a 120mm Mortar from off-map. It has a better range than its smaller counterpart, the standard PM-41 82mm Mortar. The 120mm rounds will put fear into your enemies’ soldiers.

2CP-Tank Traps

Allows Combat Engineers to build tank traps. These obstacles will deter any tank from moving in your territory, and can be used to funnel enemy assaults.

2CP-M42 45mm light AT gun

This light AT gun makes up for power with its low cost and high rate of fire. Very effective vs. light vehicles, and even mediums when placed on flanks.

12 May 2022, 16:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2022, 07:49 AMJilet
Nobody mentioned the old Obersoldaten that was literally SS Rambo Ubermensch.

I thought about mentioning them, but they had a few problems.
a) Came too late and volks had like 23MP(?) reinforce costs, 250MP squad cost + -29% RA at vet V + schreck
b) Stolen LMG34 was one of the most terrifying things you ever saw outside of bugs
c) No anti-vehicle capability.

But overall they were indeed the "SS Rambo Ubermensch" you described them to be.

At vet IV they used to get an additional -29% RA, making them well...err...ultra terminators?
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS