Login

russian armor

Flak emplacement thoughts

23 Jun 2021, 22:43 PM

Now that the flak emplacement cannot be decrewed at all (and used against you!), I think it's time to take another look at the unit and use it again in automatch.

What are people's thoughts on these things? At 200 MP, 20 FU they are more expensive than a bunker's 150 MP, 60 Muni but provide a major punch in a 360 degree & 20-35 pen autocannon that rapidly pins down any infantry. 470hp and 35 armour present a bulletproof target but can still be taken out with a single satchel...assuming you can get that close. Past AA testing revealed a lackluster capability in that regard, two barely equal to the recon downing potential of a flak HT.

EDIT: I had some success putting one down on a VP with many shot/sight blockers and preventing a cap by surprise.
23 Jun 2021, 23:07 PM

I think it depends, when I play soviet T1 it is hard as hell to get rid of unless I commit to an assault where I most likely will loss more than I gain. However it is 20 fuel which can really mess up timings if the opponent is able to bypass it until it becomes more manageable to destroy.
23 Jun 2021, 23:35 PM

They are fine when used defensively or behind shot blockers, but imo, bunker is some what supperior option because of 2 key factors

1) Bunker will always suppress and deal damage, regardless of terrain, while flak is terrain and shotblokers dependant, thats why sometimes you can destoy it frontally by satchels. Its low profile also means that its hard to find a good possition for it.
2) The most importand one, it takes pop-cap. This is a huge drawback.
24 Jun 2021, 03:03 AM

for all of u that dont use this unit, yea u might want to start becuz its really good for its cost not saying it op cuz i dont think it is. just really good
24 Jun 2021, 07:25 AM

brits get for only 10 more fuel (which is nothing) a nondoc unit call bofors. which is insanely strong and in all department compared to the flak emplacement.
Pip
24 Jun 2021, 13:52 PM

brits get for only 10 more fuel (which is nothing) a nondoc unit call bofors. which is insanely strong and in all department compared to the flak emplacement.

The Bofors is larger (and therefore harder to place/hide), and costs more population though, doesn't it? 10 fuel isnt really Negligible, either.
24 Jun 2021, 15:54 PM

And the weird bonus fuel to unlock it.
24 Jun 2021, 16:16 PM

Personally I always felt that all of the emplacements for British should be moved to Advanced Emplacement Regiment and adjusted accordingly or either ANVIL unlocked and be made into something viable and worth Using (like significantly reduced pop cap) as counters would be made available at that stage of the game. Bofors could also be reduced in size because it being almost as big as a heavy tank doesn't make sense especially when compared to the OKW Flak.

The OKW Flak Emplacement isn't bad but it has terrible AOE Suppression and could use some vet on it. Though a Bunker is a much better and cheaper option especially since it doesn't cost fuel. You kind of need to spam tank traps and sand bags in front of the Flak emplacement so that it can actually survive so its also more of a commitment as well when your units could be doing other things.

Its not just 10 fuel, you have to also factor in the research upgrade as well which is 20-30 fuel (Don't remember as I don't usually build Bofors when playing British)
25 Jun 2021, 07:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jun 2021, 13:52 PMPip

The Bofors is larger (and therefore harder to place/hide), and costs more population though, doesn't it? 10 fuel isnt really Negligible, either.

compared to the intial cost for okw...which means to need a specific commander...and it is really easy to destroy compared to bofors...totally ok
25 Jun 2021, 08:02 AM

Its not just 10 fuel, you have to also factor in the research upgrade as well which is 20-30 fuel (Don't remember as I don't usually build Bofors when playing British)

15 fuel tech
25 Jun 2021, 09:55 AM

if you have excess fuel and can afford to delay p4 on okw then sure build it.
25 Jun 2021, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

One question:
Why is it that the emplacement never suffers damage on the first 2-3 shots?
It's like a second health bar that is not repairable.
26 Jun 2021, 21:24 PM

Thanks for all the contributions people, might try an early placement and see if that's reliable for delaying the enemy. Bofors does overshadow it admittedly quite a bit.

One question:

It does? Is that a bug? Never noticed it myself.
26 Jun 2021, 21:51 PM

One question:

It always takes damage it just doesn't show sometimes to the opposing player (players who dont own the FLAK)

26 Jun 2021, 22:01 PM

It always takes damage it just doesn't show sometimes to the opposing player (players who dont own the FLAK)

The health bar on it seems bugged.

I'm not a fan of it. It costs about a little over half of a bofors for something that often repels one attack and then gets wiped as soon as the other side knows wehr it's located.
26 Jun 2021, 22:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2021, 22:01 PMGrumpy

wehr it's located.

coh is in your blood now 😂
27 Jun 2021, 01:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2021, 22:23 PMKoRneY

coh is in your blood now 😂
Yes, the addiction started slowly, with just Soviets. It then spread to Americans......After a couple of years, it included Ost and OKW....Then, I even tried UKF, but it made me feel dirty. After a few months of not playing that abomination, I feel like I'm on the road to recovery....
MMX
27 Jun 2021, 06:16 AM

i've seen tightrope using the flak emplacement quite regularly in his streams... with, uhm, mixed results at best. it's arguably quite good for locking down a sector of interest for some time, especially if you can make shot/sight blockers work to your advantage on certain maps. but as others have said already, as soon as the opponent knows where it is it'll usually die very quickly. maybe the flak could use a slightly smaller collision box to make ground-attacking AT guns a bit less effective in taking it out?
27 Jun 2021, 14:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2021, 06:16 AMMMX
i've seen tightrope using the flak emplacement quite regularly in his streams... with, uhm, mixed results at best.

They are always useless
27 Jun 2021, 14:47 PM

They are always useless

Flak Emplacements are one of the cheapest ways to get good anti-air in the game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★