Login

russian armor

COH2 & community is rare

17 Feb 2021, 21:30 PM
Donator 11

I have never played a game that continues to have a vibrant and dedicated community for a decade. I have rarely played a game that has had a consistent playerbase throughout a decade.

I think the only games that come close are Garry's Mod, CS:GO, and CS Source. But their community isn't as good as CoH's.

It seems like CoH is very well run by the community.

In comparison, games like Halo and CoD quickly die due to their successors.

What do you think makes CoH 2 like this? It has remained in top steam charts since forever.
17 Feb 2021, 21:32 PM
Donator 11

I think it is because CoH 2 has a monopoly in RTS atm. And also because it has a strong legacy. Also Relic makes great games.

Also because of COH2.org and community who made it (AmiPolizeiFunk, etc.) and those who help run it.
17 Feb 2021, 21:47 PM

This game attracts a certain type of men. People who can take all the salt (RNG) the game throws at them and cope with it. Even if they quit for some time, they will come back nonetheless, ready to take even more. Guess we all are some kind of masochists.

People who cant deal with this, have left the game long time ago or keep playing vs. bots.
17 Feb 2021, 21:56 PM

If Relic was not involved this would be the best game ever hands down. But instead it is a buggy rng-fest piece of hot garbage. About 4 out of 10 games are completely decided by RNG.

#UninstallRelic
17 Feb 2021, 22:09 PM

As NorthWeapon said imo, its the absence of succesful competition or alternatives

17 Feb 2021, 22:21 PM

The game strikes a good balance between micro and macro. I like it better than MOW2 that has too much micro and Steel Division which is more macro, but much slower paced and not as fun.

There really isn't any great competitors to it.
17 Feb 2021, 23:40 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

1- Standing on the shoulders of giants.
This franchise wouldn't be in it's current position without the copious amount of support and dedication from it's community. Many people who already left or are inactive had laid out the foundation upon which others have been able to pick up the torch and continue.

2- RTS players are a different breed of gamers.
The genre requires a good amount of dedication for each specific IP, in order to learns the ins and outs. Compare that to any FPS/Fighting/Sports/Racing/etc game where you can more or less move from title to title with less to little inconvenience.
A big part of the community basically goes for a really long term relationship with each RTS.
Just take a look at how long SC2/AOE2/WC3 had been ongoing.

3- As other mentions lack of successful competitors.

4- Games designed to have long term support vs ones who are designed to expire after 1/2 years.

5- In terms of RTS, COH hits the nail to fulfill 2 specific niches.
WW2 theme on one side. And the design decision of dropping the traditional focus on economic micro to focus more in combat decisions. This heavily drops the requirements in APM in order to perform.
18 Feb 2021, 03:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2021, 21:56 PMRosbone
If Relic was not involved this would be the best game ever hands down. But instead it is a buggy rng-fest piece of hot garbage. About 4 out of 10 games are completely decided by RNG.

#UninstallRelic

What does this even mean? Without Relic CoH2 doesn't exist at all. Besides, Relic's main problem is trying too hard to make things unique, and having a fascination with ze elite germanz causing them to add things like stock Panthers and doctrine Jagdtigers that become painful to balance against T-34-76's and M4A3 Shermans which is why the meta for for Allies to spam Tank Destroyers and Axis to complain about it.
18 Feb 2021, 04:36 AM

Wehraboos. If the balance were changed so that Axis were closer to current Allies and Allies were closer to current Axis the game would lose a large portion of its community.
18 Feb 2021, 05:52 AM

What does this even mean? Without Relic CoH2 doesn't exist at all.

I like to give them a hard time because this game is not getting anywhere near the number of players it should.

It is the perfect RTS. No need to memorize some weird alien units. Every unit in Coh2 makes sense immediately. So the learning curve is faster than any other RTS.

Been saying for years and years, get rid of the bullshit RNG indirect fire and its gold.
18 Feb 2021, 05:53 AM

I think there are several factors here. Excellent gameplay with the right scale of the game, high-quality animation and sound. Great single company (but only in the first part). And of course the lack of competition and alternatives in games with similar gameplay. The only game series that is very similar to CoH is Codename: Panzers (the game mechanics and interface were borrowed for CoH1). But this game series died a long time ago.
18 Feb 2021, 12:34 PM

I think it is because CoH 2 has a monopoly in RTS atm. And also because it has a strong legacy. Also Relic makes great games.

Also because of COH2.org and community who made it (AmiPolizeiFunk, etc.) and those who help run it.

+1
19 Feb 2021, 13:04 PM

Aside from some units balance issues and current bugsplats, CoH2 is a great game.
8 years from its release, it still has Great graphics, Great sounds and music, great gameplay mechanics (except some pathing issues) and great comuunity (sometime toxic but nothing bad at all).
20 Feb 2021, 01:54 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I think it is because CoH 2 has a monopoly in RTS atm.

This is so untrue. The player bases of Age of Empires 2, StarCraft 2, Warcraft 3, and probably StarCraft: Brood War all dwarf that of Company of Heroes 2.

I think Coh2's popularity is there isn't another RTS that delivers the same excitement and fast-paced gameplay without being as challenging and mechanically demanding as the above games. The WW2 setting and nice presentation helps too.
20 Feb 2021, 17:14 PM

Bundle nade goes boooooom!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight