Login

russian armor

Random OKW in team games – blood, guts and glory

9 Mar 2021, 09:53 AM

Bad idea because your teammates dont get the extra fuel / muni.
But that could be changed and then the 221 could work as OKW's cache. Would still be a lot more expensive than the other factions chaches and doctrinal. This would make >Elite Armor a lot more attractive for Team Games.

9 Mar 2021, 10:56 AM

Bad idea because your teammates dont get the extra fuel / muni.

Then just spam tanks after your team mates cached half of the map and have nothing to fight with and now you need to hard carry them.
9 Mar 2021, 13:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2021, 09:23 AMEsxile
Let's give cache to OKW, what could go wrong anyway?

OKW has been nerfed in so many ways, it is not, what it was anymore and it lost many of it's former advantages, so it would be just fair. As people stated many times already, it is more likely to have 4 OKW players in a team, than to have 4 USF in one team.
9 Mar 2021, 15:45 PM

Yes OKW should be able to build caches non doctrinally.

Just like USF should get rocket arty, elite infantry, heavy tanks non doctrinally.
9 Mar 2021, 15:59 PM

OKW has been nerfed in so many ways, it is not, what it was anymore and it lost many of it's former advantages, so it would be just fair. As people stated many times already, it is more likely to have 4 OKW players in a team, than to have 4 USF in one team.

Like what? It's biggest advantage is still a stock heavy tank. Min 0 shred machines. Stock rocket arty. Get a big dose of copium because I highly doubt OKW is ever getting caches.
10 Mar 2021, 15:16 PM

That design is long gone and while I am not a friend of caches and their current design, it would add consistency though.

okw still has a number of highly efficient abilities and a non doc heavy tank. Infiltration nades cost the same as molitovs, spec ups sneak'n' sprint costs the same as where tactical movementfor example, they also still have salvage, while it's not a 1 to 1 being able to remove wrecks as cover and destroy team weapons for profit is a nice bonus. All of their vehicles beyond lights also have over 230 armour, being able to speed up acquisition of those themselves would certainly lead to issues...

Randoms can't choose who they play with, and 3v3+ is what they mostly play. And caches in larger modes are dirt cheap for what they bring. Playing with mostly OKW because of pure luck puts you at a disadvantage by default.

You can't pick anything when it's random, that's what random means. You might get hellen Keller playing from Ethiopia as a team mate and no amount of caches will fix that. This is the struggle of Randoms. The best advice I ever got for not being able to pick your team mates is to pick your team mates.
10 Mar 2021, 16:07 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

OKWs general feature of being resource starved is gone. All their abilities and units (including the KT) have since been rebalanced to match their cost and their counterparts of other factions. All those abilities you mention are not comparable to the -25%(? I forgot already, too long ago) resource debuff they got previously.
The core faction of OKW has become very standardized, with some faction gimmicks just like every other faction. But they are far from the original design of resource starvation. While salvage is not useless, it is far from being really useful to generate enough additional income. You'll probably not be able to salvage more than 2-4 wrecks at the very best in a normal game, since not all of them are recoverable.

The early aquisition of OKW tanks does not cause issues, at least there is no reason to believe so. As I already said, OKW tanks have been balanced to their cost already compared to the other factions. Premade teams buils caches and there are no issues, I personally have not seen issues in game and I can't remember when the last serious complaint was that OKW tanks come way too early in team games. I can't even remember the last non-serious one.

Regarding the random teams:
You are missing the point. I have never said that random games will ALWAYS be balanced, what I said is that we could remove one additional layer of pure chance when there is no reason to keep it. If you play OKW, there is a decent chance that there will be no caches. Even if the matchmaking algorithm worked perfectly and you got a balanced match, you are at disadvantage by default. This is completely different from being screwed over by matchmaking because the community is small. Using random matchmaking as an argument is not adding anything to the topic. If it was then there would be no reason to simply delete units from time to time in random games, because accordingly that is what people want from these games or at least what they sign up to: total randomness.
But playing random is not about randomness. It is about having a match that is as fair as possible, with all restraints given the match making system.
10 Mar 2021, 16:51 PM

OKWs general feature of being resource starved is gone. All their abilities and units (including the KT) have since been rebalanced to match their cost and their counterparts of other factions. All those abilities you mention are not comparable to the -25%(? I forgot already, too long ago) resource debuff they got previously.
The core faction of OKW has become very standardized, with some faction gimmicks just like every other faction. But they are far from the original design of resource starvation. While salvage is not useless, it is far from being really useful to generate enough additional income. You'll probably not be able to salvage more than 2-4 wrecks at the very best in a normal game, since not all of them are recoverable.

The early aquisition of OKW tanks does not cause issues, at least there is no reason to believe so. As I already said, OKW tanks have been balanced to their cost already compared to the other factions. Premade teams buils caches and there are no issues, I personally have not seen issues in game and I can't remember when the last serious complaint was that OKW tanks come way too early in team games. I can't even remember the last non-serious one.

Regarding the random teams:
You are missing the point. I have never said that random games will ALWAYS be balanced, what I said is that we could remove one additional layer of pure chance when there is no reason to keep it. If you play OKW, there is a decent chance that there will be no caches. Even if the matchmaking algorithm worked perfectly and you got a balanced match, you are at disadvantage by default. This is completely different from being screwed over by matchmaking because the community is small. Using random matchmaking as an argument is not adding anything to the topic. If it was then there would be no reason to simply delete units from time to time in random games, because accordingly that is what people want from these games or at least what they sign up to: total randomness.
But playing random is not about randomness. It is about having a match that is as fair as possible, with all restraints given the match making system.

Why is no resource cache not viewed as asymmetric balance? I keep asking for more non doc tools for USF as well but keep being told its asymmetric balance. In fact, like you said, OKW no longer has the original design they did on wfa release, resource starved, late war faction. So if thats not the case anymore, isnt that more support evidence they dont need caches?
Pip
10 Mar 2021, 17:12 PM

Why is no resource cache not viewed as asymmetric balance? I keep asking for more non doc tools for USF as well but keep being told its asymmetric balance. In fact, like you said, OKW no longer has the original design they did on wfa release, resource starved, late war faction. So if thats not the case anymore, isnt that more support evidence they dont need caches?

Why does any faction need Caches, in that case?

It isnt considered "Asymmetrical balance", as they can still benefit from an OST teammate's caches, the only thing it does is put additional strain on OSTheer teammates, inexplicably punish "all OKW" teams in a way that literally no other mono-faction team is, and mean OKW has nothing at all to spend excess MP on.

They didn't have Caches, in part, because they originally had a really poorly designed resource-diversion mechanic that let them convert between Muni and Fuel.

There's nothing inherent in the faction that corresponds to their lack of Caches, in most cases Salvage is primarily a tool to delete team weapons and wrecks (Both of which are done equally well by other factions simply using an AT gun), not really one that provides more than an incredibly negligible amount of resources. If you'd like to argue they should lose Salvage in order to gain Caches, fine, though it's a bit of a petty thing to mandate.

"In fact, like you said, OKW no longer has the original design they did on wfa release, resource starved, late war faction. So if thats not the case anymore, isnt that more support evidence they dont need caches?" is perhaps the least logical shitpost I've read in a while, by the way. The conclusion simply doesn't follow the "argument". "They're no longer resource starved so they should have less access to resources than other factions"
10 Mar 2021, 17:13 PM

At minimum schwerer would have to go, being able to plant your schwerer and then build cache under its protection would be problematic on map where you can already put your schwerer close to your base, protecting the cutoff and some of your mun/fuel/VP. Then their premium tanks would have to be toned down to non-premium level because their highest price and no-cache balance out their superior power out of the box. We already see how it goes on large teamgame and we don't want the same on small scale games. So Pz4 to be aligned to Ostheer's one and Panther pushed further back in a new tech level or even made doctrinal.

Vet5 should also go because and all benefices given with taken out. HMG34 and rak could also left the HQ and join OKW tiers, no reason anymore to have easy access to tools to maintain you field presence at cost of not being able to build caches.

And so on etc...
10 Mar 2021, 17:13 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I mean, this "feature" - let's just call it that way - can 100% be implemented as asymmetric balance. I'll phrase it in a very general way now since there otherwise is no way to get it right:
The only question is how much can the CoH2 community afford. Getting asymmetric balance right is difficult and requires a lot of changes, surveillance of the meta and therefore work/manpower. We have a team of community patchers and testers that have - although being very dedicated - limited resources. At this point every change has be be checked if it is really worth it. The current status quo is very well playable, large changes are risky.

I don't know what exactly you are asking for for USF. If it is say non-doc Calliope, this might be a big change since it fills a whole in the rooster of USF that is at least partially filled with other units (like HE Sherman, Scott, Howitzer etc). Adding the Calliope non-doc would need a rebalance of all these other stock units so that USF does not become OP. Additionally, this is true for all modes.

So, is it worth it adding the Calliope? USF will get better, less dependent on commanders, but potentially OP. And we might not have the time to patch it back properly.

What has happened for the most part now is instead of depriving factions from core mechanics handing out OP ones to make up for it (see UKF snare, OKW healing accessibility, USF tech rework etc), they get most/all of the tools but with different mechanics to keep some form of flavour. Is that better flavour-wise? No, surely not. But way easier to balance with limited resources. So overall likely a benefit for the game.

Coming back to caches:
Resource starvation was one form of asymmetry, OKW had salvage but it is not working very well. The balancing is done mostly towards 1v1 and a bit of 2v2, in these modes caches are non existant/not as important. This topic only targets 3v3+, and here only the random ones. Premades can communicate better who build a cache and when, and most importantly make sure they have at least one OST player. Randoms can't, that was my whole point. And due to restriction in map design leading to resource inflation, team games are heavily decided by who can generate more of those. So no, I would not say that OKW becoming standardized towards performance in 1v1/2v2 is good evidence that they don't need caches in 3v3+.
10 Mar 2021, 17:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2021, 17:12 PMPip

It isnt considered "Asymmetrical balance", as they can still benefit from an OST teammate's caches, the only thing it does is put additional strain on OSTheer teammates, inexplicably punish "all OKW" teams in a way that literally no other mono-faction team is, and mean OKW has nothing at all to spend excess MP on.

Thats weird because when I complain about the lack of rocket arty non doctrinally, im told i can rely on my Soviets Katy, which by your logic creates additional strain on teammates, inexplicably punish "all USF teams". If what I said isn't true, than its also not true for OKW caches. Faction A doesnt have x, Faction B has x, and therefore Faction A doesnt need x has always been the argument from balance team. Why would it suddenly change for OKW?

Its the same argument thats been around(and is totally faulty) for awhile. Give OKW caches and give factions missing tools the opportunity to use them non doctrinally. Or give no one caches non doc and put them behind commanders.

"In fact, like you said, OKW no longer has the original design they did on wfa release, resource starved, late war faction. So if thats not the case anymore, isnt that more support evidence they dont need caches?" is perhaps the least logical shitpost I've read in a while, by the way. The conclusion simply doesn't follow the "argument". "They're no longer resource starved so they should have less access to resources than other factions"

So if the fact theyre no longer resource starved is a nonsensical reason to not give someone caches, why the hell would it be a sensible argument to give them caches? Theyre no longer penalized so give them further increased performance? Because their default resource penalties would be greater evidence to give them supplemental income somewhere else.
10 Mar 2021, 17:22 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2021, 17:13 PMEsxile

At minimum schwerer would have to go, being able to plant your schwerer and then build cache under its protection would be problematic on map where you can already put your schwerer close to your base, protecting the cutoff and some of your mun/fuel/VP. Then their premium tanks would have to be toned down to non-premium level because their highest price and no-cache balance out their superior power out of the box. We already see how it goes on large teamgame and we don't want the same on small scale games. So Pz4 to be aligned to Ostheer's one and Panther pushed further back in a new tech level or even made doctrinal.

Vet5 should also go because and all benefices given with taken out. HMG34 and rak could also left the HQ and join OKW tiers, no reason anymore to have easy access to tools to maintain you field presence at cost of not being able to build caches.

And so on etc...

I actually don't really think so. Maybe some tweaks, but I would even go as far to say that there don't need to be any tweaks on the defensive part. I am talking about 3v3+ however.

We see OKW being supplied with caches already in large team games, the burden of building them is just shifted to OST players. Are OKW tanks a big issue in these modes? I wouldn't say so actually.
Does Schwerer Gun need to go? Here I would also say no. First, points and resources in general are rather safe. In large games (at least on my scrub rank), players don't put their HQ to the front line because it will get deleted by artillery. Especially since there will be 1-2 Sextons for every Brit player. Schwerer near the front lines is very very risky, so best is usually to put it further back where usually none of the fighting takes place anyway.
Same goes for cache building. Can you protect a cache with Schwerer? Absolutely. However, 3v3+ maps are so large that you usually have 2-3 points that are so far back that the enemy will not reach them. Even if they did, they won't have time to destroy the cache. Schwerer at the front line is a bad idea as I just described, and securing a cache that usually does not see any action anyway won't be a huge issue.

No don't get me wrong: I am not saying that there will 100% be no issues, but I think all of those are manageable without too much work. The small modes, where cache protecting could be an issue usually don't have (many) caches. And in the large modes where we have caches their protection would no cause an issue since they are already gated off by map design. Overall, I assume 2v2 will be "hit" the hardest. But as I said, in a premade team we can already see all of this. And none of it has caused the huge issues you're describing
10 Mar 2021, 17:24 PM

Snip

Thats a whole lot of false equivalencies and trying to explain away why the exact same scenario shouldnt be given thought to while the other should.

Either all factions get caches or none of them do. Pretending the game will be balanced otherwise is bad faith delusion. If thats how you prefer the game to be than fine, but dont insult my intelligence by trying to hold the same argument two different ways.

The bottom line: There is no reason why OKW should have caches. There is also no reason why they shouldnt have caches. The only thing thats holding OKW back from having them is outdated design philosophy just like other factions missing unit types that are basically necessary in team games or factions like brits that are just a box of gimmicks because relic was taking the piss when making them.
Pip
10 Mar 2021, 17:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2021, 17:13 PMEsxile

And so on etc...

I'm not really following the argument for the Schwerer. It can't stop an AT gun or a Tank or whatever from destroying a cache. It's already not something you particularly see

You usually can't afford to have the Schwerer too forward, in any case, because losing the thing (Which isnt hard, some callin abilities are guaranteed to kill it) is absolutely crippling.

OKW tanks (The P4 is the only one) are already balanced for their better out-of-the-box performance by being more expensive, as you say. Though the Panther is the same between the factions, in ability and cost. (Other than "Blitzkrieg tactics" vs "Combat Blitz", and the OKW panther's vet 4 and 5)

I'm not really seeing what the HMG34 and Rak being in the HQ has to do with Caches, by the way.
10 Mar 2021, 17:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2021, 17:12 PMPip

There's nothing inherent in the faction that corresponds to their lack of Caches, in most cases Salvage is primarily a tool to delete team weapons and wrecks (Both of which are done equally well by other factions simply using an AT gun), not really one that provides more than an incredibly negligible amount of resources. If you'd like to argue they should lose Salvage in order to gain Caches, fine, though it's a bit of a petty thing to mandate.

I'm curious, why in your mind is that a petty thing to mandate? The issue is OKW doesnt have caches right? But they do have another resource income ability that is a bit micro intensive but pretty useful, especially team games. Why should OKW be redesigned to have no resource penalties, given caches that breaks your favored asymmetric balance paradigm, while also keeping salvage? Just because you want it?

What I'm getting at is this game fosters these unproductive arguments around balance because the WFA were so poorly designed from the jump and because of this, you feel the need to protect your favorite mechanics or unique items instead of just saying "you know what we should all have caches because its a basic mechanic at the core of the game and that would also mean we shouldnt additional resource bonuses other factions do becuase its a basic mechanic at the core of the game."

You seem to understand the first part well, "we need this because its core game mechanic" but you're not understanding the second part so well, especially considering balance is a give and take, but youre not a huge fan of the take part.
Pip
10 Mar 2021, 17:35 PM

Thats weird because when I complain about the lack of rocket arty non doctrinally, im told i can rely on my Soviets Katy, which by your logic creates additional strain on teammates, inexplicably punish "all USF teams". If what I said isn't true, than its also not true for OKW caches. Faction A doesnt have x, Faction B has x, and therefore Faction A doesnt need x has always been the argument from balance team. Why would it suddenly change for OKW?

Its the same argument thats been around(and is totally faulty) for awhile. Give OKW caches and give factions missing tools the opportunity to use them non doctrinally. Or give no one caches non doc and put them behind commanders

I guess that depends, can your Soviet teammate build Katyushas that you can then use? Do you not have access to Rocket Artillery in doctrines? Do you not have nondoctrinal "Artillery" units (Pack Howitzer and Scott) in exchange for lack of rocket artillery? I'm not really seeing how you think this is the same situation, except through wilful ignorance.

So if the fact theyre no longer resource starved is a nonsensical reason to not give someone caches, why the hell would it be a sensible argument to give them caches? Theyre no longer penalized so give them further increased performance? Because their default resource penalties would be greater evidence to give them supplemental income somewhere else.

Your "logic" here would make sense if Caches weren't a standard thing other factions had, rather it was something specifically made for OKW to give them "more resources" over other factions. The fact they're not designed as, or balanced around being, a faction that "Lacks resources" is indeed a reason they shouldn't lack resources. They have none of the mechanics that previously justified a lack of caches, and their vehicles/tech/etc is now priced relative to its performance.

What is the reasoning behind them still not having caches, from your perspective? Please, do enlighten us all.
10 Mar 2021, 17:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2021, 17:35 PMPip

What is the reasoning behind them still not having caches, from your perspective? Please, do enlighten us all.

If you could actually comprehend the strange squiggles on your screen, you'd understand I support OKW getting caches like every other faction has because its a piss poor design decision. What I've been trying to show you is that broken logic extends to several other facets of balance that are affected by legacy relic stupidity and should be fixed. Just like massive holes in factions rosters for non doc units, leading to knock on balance problems.

But you can comprehend those strange squiggles so you wrote that long comment thinking it was a gotcha.
Pip
10 Mar 2021, 17:39 PM

I'm curious, why in your mind is that a petty thing to mandate? The issue is OKW doesnt have caches right? But they do have another resource income ability that is a bit micro intensive but pretty useful, especially team games. Why should OKW be redesigned to have no resource penalties, given caches that breaks your favored asymmetric balance paradigm, while also keeping salvage? Just because you want it?

What I'm getting at is this game fosters these unproductive arguments around balance because the WFA were so poorly designed from the jump and because of this, you feel the need to protect your favorite mechanics or unique items instead of just saying "you know what we should all have caches because its a basic mechanic at the core of the game and that would also mean we shouldnt additional resource bonuses other factions do becuase its a basic mechanic at the core of the game."

You seem to understand the first part well, "we need this because its core game mechanic" but you're not understanding the second part so well, especially considering balance is a give and take, but youre not a huge fan of the take part.

Then go ahead and remove it, if you care so much about that particular ability. Salvage isnt a core part of OKW, and it being gone isnt going to cause a particularly big change in their efficacy, not when compared to having caches.
Pip
10 Mar 2021, 17:42 PM

If you could actually comprehend the strange squiggles on your screen, you'd understand I support OKW getting caches like every other faction has because its a piss poor design decision. What I've been trying to show you is that broken logic extends to several other facets of balance that are affected by legacy relic stupidity and should be fixed. Just like massive holes in factions rosters for non doc units, leading to knock on balance problems.

But you can comprehend those strange squiggles so you wrote that long comment thinking it was a gotcha.

Every post you make seems to be an attempt at a "gotcha".

A thread about OKW and their lack of caches and you chime in with "AHA! IF OKW WERE TO GET CACHES WHY SHOULDNT MY PET FACTION USF HAVE THE CALLIOPE NONDOCTRINALLY? THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION IN MY MIND"

Make an argument actually specifically supporting your desire for particular units nondoctrinally in the USF, rather than piggybacking off of unrelated topic, and maybe you'll have a better time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 20
South Africa 2
unknown 10
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %