Login

russian armor

Pak 43 shooting through elevations/houses

8 Nov 2020, 19:25 PM

Pretty self explinatory. I have noticed the pak43 regularly shoots through buildings, if sight is given. Is that on purpose? Often enough, placing pak43 behind a taller building will render it immune to all but vertical offmap, since the house in front can soak up all the arty from your base or the front lines. Not to say that they have the same range as Scott. Makes it really hard to dislodge without a support from calliope doctrine for USF (or rushing major in and hoping the shells land on it).
Also, on maps like Hill400 pak43 bullets will regularly phase through the ground (as opposed to connecting like from all other tanks). Is that intended or is pak43 (and maybe 17pounder, haven't tested it) bugged?
8 Nov 2020, 19:33 PM

Pretty self explinatory. I have noticed the pak43 regularly shoots through buildings, if sight is given. Is that on purpose? Often enough, placing pak43 behind a taller building will render it immune to all but vertical offmap, since the house in front can soak up all the arty from your base or the front lines. Not to say that they have the same range as Scott. Makes it really hard to dislodge without a support from calliope doctrine for USF (or rushing major in and hoping the shells land on it).
Also, on maps like Hill400 pak43 bullets will regularly phase through the ground (as opposed to connecting like from all other tanks). Is that intended or is pak43 (and maybe 17pounder, haven't tested it) bugged?

They're intentionally designed to pierce all obstacles and slam into their targets or near the target. This is probably due to the lack of BRACE and how easy PaK 43s are to kill (Very easy). Yes, intelligent placement can make it harder to kill the gun but its not like it can MOVE and shoot your face off outside its fire range.

Hill 400 is the Allied Arty players' dream map where the Axis base can be bombarded into rubble by SPG spam. No PaK 43 will last long there.

17 pounder cannot normally shoot through obstacles but they do have a piercing shot ability that temporarily can, like the Jagdtiger. 17 pounder can brace but is also a meme emplacement.

Easy counters: Any arty call-in. Skill Howie. IL-2zzzzzzzzzz. CalliOP. Any squad up close with a gun. Tanks up close and circle-kiting. And so on.
8 Nov 2020, 19:36 PM

They're intentionally designed to pierce all obstacles and slam into their targets or near the target. This is probably due to the lack of BRACE and how easy PaK 43s are to kill (Very easy). Yes, intelligent placement can make it harder to kill the gun but its not like it can MOVE and shoot your face off outside its fire range.

Hill 400 is the Allied Arty players' dream map where the Axis base can be bombarded into rubble. No PaK 43 will last long there.

17 pounder cannot normally shoot through obstacles but they do have a piercing shot ability that temporarily can, like the Jagdtiger. 17 pounder can brace but is also a meme emplacement.

Well, I also had my base bombarded by LeFHs that seemed to survive most of the arty. Probably due to the intelligent placement of reinforce bunker from OST. Not 10 minutes ago, a pak43 survived 2 scotts firing at it and major arty, may he rest in pieces for that brave sprint, getting nuked into orbit by stuka.
8 Nov 2020, 19:38 PM

Hill 400 is the Allied Arty players' dream map where the Axis base can be bombarded into rubble by SPG spam. No PaK 43 will last long there.

Easy counters: Any arty call-in. Skill Howie. IL-2zzzzzzzzzz. CalliOP. Any squad up close with a gun. Tanks up close and circle-kiting. And so on.

This. There is no brace mechanic for pak43 so it is intentionally designed to pierce all obstacles. Otherwise going pak43 will be braindead.
8 Nov 2020, 19:39 PM

Well, I also had my base bombarded by LeFHs that seemed to survive most of the arty. Probably due to the intelligent placement of reinforce bunker from OST. Not 10 minutes ago, a pak43 survived 2 scotts firing at it and major arty, may he rest in pieces for that brave sprint, getting nuked into orbit by stuka.

No idea why you're firing at that thing with Scotts, it'll just blow your head off. Major arty should have flattened the gun iirc.

Assuming this is Hill 400:
Sounds like your team dropped the ball. No LEFH should have lasted long with SPGs in range constantly. That or they had one madman spamming LEFHs like no tomorrow or something like that. The reinforcement bunker indicates a high skilled enemy team which was prob why you found yourself in that situation.

And that's without the usual counter used of Recon + IL-2 bombing run

EDIT: In 4v4s I routinely shrug off the loss of 1 or even 2 LEFHs to enemy call-ins/SPGs so don't be surprised if they stick at it too.
8 Nov 2020, 19:41 PM

I think they should give the pak43 brace and remove auto-attack through obstacles. Allow both the 17ber and pak43 to always pierce obstacles, but make it require attack ground to do so
8 Nov 2020, 20:09 PM

I'd argue shooting through buildings >> Brace. You can brace but you can not fire. Brace is useful on the mortar pit since it's further behind. 17 Pounder needs to be on the frontlines even more so than the Pak43. Of course, arranged team will always beat random teams that I play. Flare + pak43 = secured VP from tanks. Introduce the randomness of offmap arty which will either completely destroy the pak43 (can not recrew) or barely do any dmg. I really had a hard time dislodging it as USF since I didn't go for Calliope in 3v3. My brit ally tossed arty from IS, house blocked shells. I used scotts, one smokes, other barrages, did 0 dmg. Then I tried with pak howi, it got dislodged by either Stuka or LeFH counter. In the end the major vet3 arty didn't dislodge it (it was reinforcing as it was getting barraged). I only managed to kill it after I smoked the whole map around it with scotts and rushed 3 rifles to it to nade it. It survived all 3 nades but in the end BARs killed it. A minute later, another one popped up in it's place xD.
8 Nov 2020, 20:22 PM

Yes shooting through obstacles is intentional.

On the other hand UKF can clear allot of obstacles with sappers.

There is not need to change either design.
8 Nov 2020, 20:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'd rather have the PaK43 not shoot through obstacles if I could choose. It would need other buffs, but shooting through walls and even terrain by default is everything but intuitive. Especially since all other units's projectiles collide with terrain.
8 Nov 2020, 20:32 PM

Pak43 needs nerf? Wot?
8 Nov 2020, 21:43 PM

I'd rather have the PaK43 not shoot through obstacles if I could choose. It would need other buffs, but shooting through walls and even terrain by default is everything but intuitive.

I think if it didn't auto-attack through obstacles it would be fine. It would still need some buffs to compensate but you should at least have to use some skill when it's shooting through a building

Especially since all other units's projectiles collide with terrain.

As stationary AT guns with no defense against infantry I feel like they are unique enough to have a perk like that
8 Nov 2020, 21:50 PM

if you use the tacmap abuse you can pretty much one shot a pak43 using tank hunters, it's even easier with SU85, that is why you need to put behind shotblockers
8 Nov 2020, 22:20 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think if it didn't auto-attack through obstacles it would be fine. It would still need some buffs to compensate but you should at least have to use some skill when it's shooting through a building

As stationary AT guns with no defense against infantry I feel like they are unique enough to have a perk like that

My point is not balance wise, but that this feature is unintuitive and nonsensical. I know it is a game, but for me personally that stretches the suspension of disbelief that I can give a bit too far at least when it comes to shooting through terrain.
8 Nov 2020, 22:52 PM

if you use the tacmap abuse you can pretty much one shot a pak43 using tank hunters, it's even easier with SU85, that is why you need to put behind shotblockers

Hardly. It's got 80 range and 320 dmg and 3.5 (+2 sec wind down). Provided that you hit it (A HUGE IF), it will still kill you. It's got 470hp (the gun itself). Pak43 is not OP. Not in the literal sense. It's just situational cancer to play against. Truth be told, even when playing with axis I don't usually go for pak43s since I hate being static but having played against ton of them by sim city players, it can be cancerous. 17 pounder can be cancerous if you're trying to destroy it and then it braces and is left with a tiny portion of HP, also can be cancerous, but still less cancerous (for me at least) to play against. And the 17pdr is kinda meme since it needs perfect positioning (easy to pull of on some 3v3+ maps).

I mean, 3-4 months ago I played against 3 OST on angermuende. It was against arranged team so they were well coordinated plugging the holes of friends so a guy placed 3 pak43s around 2 VPs (middle/bot). Those massive f****** were shooting through 2-4 buildings. Every time we managed to dislodge it, the pios that were hiding in the building during the strafing runs would just pop out and recrew it with the reinforce bunker nearby. Calliope did 0 against it since it was hitting the building constantly until it went down and even then it pretty much missed since you need to fire at the gun from a distance (80+) which is quite inaccurate. Only thing that 90% of time did the trick was recon + offmap arty. 80-90% of time it would dislodge AND destroy it (pretty important to destroy it).

All in all, on some maps you will need to spend 150-250 munitions to kill it, and on some you will need to spend 500+ munitions + manpower to kill it. It's not OP, UP. It's just situationally cancerous ONLY because of that phasing.

Anyway, all I wanted to know was whether that was a balance thing or a bug thing and I got the answer. Doesn't make sense but it is what it is.
9 Nov 2020, 07:39 AM

No idea why you're firing at that thing with Scotts, it'll just blow your head off. Major arty should have flattened the gun iirc.

Assuming this is Hill 400:
Sounds like your team dropped the ball. No LEFH should have lasted long with SPGs in range constantly. That or they had one madman spamming LEFHs like no tomorrow or something like that. The reinforcement bunker indicates a high skilled enemy team which was prob why you found yourself in that situation.

And that's without the usual counter used of Recon + IL-2 bombing run

EDIT: In 4v4s I routinely shrug off the loss of 1 or even 2 LEFHs to enemy call-ins/SPGs so don't be surprised if they stick at it too.
shorter answer is that the allied team might have picked commanders with no direct strikes or arty to counter them.
9 Nov 2020, 08:21 AM

Shooting through buildings by default is pretty annoying, I think I would make that a manual ability if anything. Everything else though (trees, terrain) is necessary to make up for it's weaknesses.
9 Nov 2020, 08:38 AM

Yeah lets...make this thing used... even less than now
9 Nov 2020, 11:13 AM

shorter answer is that the allied team might have picked commanders with no direct strikes or arty to counter them.

Yes, they're noobed then. I'd go as far to say that the Allied late game 4v4 is carried by arty, as without it superior Axis armour and infantry are just too much in the end.
9 Nov 2020, 11:26 AM

I am under the immersion that the shooting through obstacles thing is a lesson form COH1 where the 88 there was some difficult to use since in many cases it would not have a clear line of fire.

The same issue is less of problem for the UKF since their sapper can clear allot of world objects and create a clear line of fire.

If one removed the ability to fire through objects for the Pzk43 one would probably have to provide the commander with pak43 the ability to clear obstacle.
9 Nov 2020, 11:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Nov 2020, 11:26 AMVipper
I am under the immersion that the shooting through obstacles thing is a lesson form COH1 where the 88 there was some difficult to use since in many cases it would not have a clear line of fire.

The same issue is less of problem for the UKF since their sapper can clear allot of world objects and create a clear line of fire.

If one removed the ability to fire through objects for the Pzk43 one would probably have to provide the commander with pak43 the ability to clear obstacle.

Wouldn't this be a better option? Also, what kind of clear obstacle do Sappers have?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★