Iron Harvest MP demo today

16 Jun 2020, 11:13 AM

16 Jun 2020, 11:51 AM
Donator 11

Will be on Steam released at 2pm CEST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3W2y5G4tw

thank you!
17 Jun 2020, 03:50 AM

tiny tech trees with very few units, super small unit number, terrible performance, feels even more sluggish and indirect than CoH. Kinda reminds of that vikings game (something something Ancestors) and I'm 90% sure its gonna flop.

Edit: Mirror matches with small tech trees like this lead to both players using the exact same units with the same timing which is extremely boring.
17 Jun 2020, 07:48 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

I won't download this then, sounds like a waste of time. Thanks for your opinion bruh.
17 Jun 2020, 10:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jun 2020, 07:48 AMSpanky

I won't download this then, sounds like a waste of time. Thanks for your opinion bruh.

Yeah don't download it. It's not very good at this point. I hope they postpone the release and keep working on it because if they release it as it is it's going to be a flop which is sad considering the scenario and artworks are really nice.
17 Jun 2020, 11:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jun 2020, 03:50 AMGiaA
tiny tech trees with very few units, super small unit number, terrible performance, feels even more sluggish and indirect than CoH. Kinda reminds of that vikings game (something something Ancestors) and I'm 90% sure its gonna flop.

Edit: Mirror matches with small tech trees like this lead to both players using the exact same units with the same timing which is extremely boring.

BUTBUTBUT...

its the great COH killer

at least that's what this forum told 4 years ago!!!!
17 Jun 2020, 13:01 PM

Did anyone really expect even CoH1 levels of polish and unit feedback? Especially from a virgin company with no experience

Even men of war feels unpolished, and those games are great with an experienced team.
17 Jun 2020, 13:18 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

game is equal or worser than dow 3

or like this game Ancestors Legacy....

--> waiting for AoE IV and then lets hope somewhen coh3 will come maybe
17 Jun 2020, 15:37 PM

I feel sorry for them i guess i am forced to stay with coh2 for another 5 years
17 Jun 2020, 18:38 PM
Donator 22

I feel sorry for them i guess i am forced to stay with coh2 for another 5 years

same here.
My only hope is: coh2 felt pretty meh in the beginning as well
17 Jun 2020, 21:09 PM

I'm seeing a lot of people trashing Ancestors Legacy, but apart from some balance issues relating to the DLC faction I'd honestly rather play it than CoH2 if there were more people playing it. It has a good variation on the standard CoH mechanics, it plays really smoothly and all the game's systems work together well.

The same cannot be said for Iron Harvest sadly. It feels like a budget version of CoH, the core mechanics are there but they're all so janky, infantry and tanks are unresponsive, cover barely works and vehicle fights feel really weird. I had high hopes for this one but I don't see it improving much between here and release.
18 Jun 2020, 03:11 AM

I'm seeing a lot of people trashing Ancestors Legacy, but apart from some balance issues relating to the DLC faction I'd honestly rather play it than CoH2 if there were more people playing it. It has a good variation on the standard CoH mechanics, it plays really smoothly and all the game's systems work together well.

The same cannot be said for Iron Harvest sadly. It feels like a budget version of CoH, the core mechanics are there but they're all so janky, infantry and tanks are unresponsive, cover barely works and vehicle fights feel really weird. I had high hopes for this one but I don't see it improving much between here and release.

Ancestors felt way more polished than Iron Harvest and it looked great. Problem is it lacked any kind of depth. It's a good game but not a game you play for more than 50 hours. I think Iron Harvest has more potential than Ancestors but it also has more glaring problems. I still consider buying it just to support this kind of game. And it's probably worth a couple of hours of fun. Did the same with ancestors.
18 Jun 2020, 04:41 AM

What "depth" does Ancestors Legacy lack that this game has? You had a good variety of strategies available to all factions, the melee combat rewarded good micro, the veterancy system was way better than this game, resource production was more than just "hold this territory" and could be disrupted by playing smart with hit and run tactics... I could go on. As I said, I would much rather that game have a thriving online community than this one, but sadly the multiplayer died off quickly as is the case for most RTS games these days without any "legacy" title backing them up.
18 Jun 2020, 08:02 AM

What "depth" does Ancestors Legacy lack that this game has? You had a good variety of strategies available to all factions, the melee combat rewarded good micro, the veterancy system was way better than this game, resource production was more than just "hold this territory" and could be disrupted by playing smart with hit and run tactics... I could go on. As I said, I would much rather that game have a thriving online community than this one, but sadly the multiplayer died off quickly as is the case for most RTS games these days without any "legacy" title backing them up.

no suppression, no cover, no tank/infantry dynamics, viability of 1 unit spam armies
18 Jun 2020, 10:39 AM

It is a shame if the demo doesn't showcase some of the campaign missions that are already implemented with cutscenes and hero unit backgrounds.

As for the multiplayer aspect only time will tell what kind of a community / playerbase it will have but I definitely will feel that I've gotten my moneys worth if the rest of the campaign is well made. Since its a small team I know not to expect Starcraft / Warcraft campaign quality but nowadays there are so few RTS games with a story I hope it will succeed commercially so the devs can improve upon their initial concept.

Much like vCoH had a ton of issues many of them were ironed out and the key gameplay mechanics were improved in CoH2 and I hope that is the case for Iron harvest as well.

Balance wise I'm not too concerned since C&C Remaster proved that even completely imbalanced and wonky games can still be a ton of fun to play if they are properly supported with modding, terrific soundtrack and good interaction between the developers and the community.
18 Jun 2020, 12:33 PM

Iron Harvest needs a lot of changes, but I actually think it has potential and it's not in as bad a state as people describe it.

Changes it needs ASAP are:
Fix the hotkeys mess. Make a grid 3x3 or 4x4 and have grid keys that are also more visible.
Remove the delay from orders
Remove the delay from pressing the tactical map, it takes like 0.5 secs
Allow hotkeys to be used while in tac map
QoL changes to tac map since you have a very small area to click on points to cap
More yellow and red cover
Better squad AI
Better squad responsiveness to orders
Remove pop cap from mines
Add a seperate resource to fuel mines, cover, wires, abilities
More unit abilities
Remove kits that can be picked up or make them upgrades or add a salvage mechanic
UI improvements
Allow pressing ESC to deselect a unit
More buildings instead of just upgrading existing ones.
No instant reinforcing and healing.
Separate reinforcing and healing.
100 pop cap for everyone, the CoH1 system is bad.
18 Jun 2020, 13:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2020, 08:02 AMGiaA

no suppression, no cover, no tank/infantry dynamics, viability of 1 unit spam armies

I realize I'm going off topic but I really don't miss suppression and I'd honestly rather it be gone. It's an awful mechanic when you get down to it and Ancestors doesn't need it with melee fights being locked in until someone retreats or dies.

There is actually cover, there are terrain features that obscure your units and reduce ranged accuracy, but for a mechanic which approximates cover in an infantry fight you have the charge vs. melee defence stance dynamic.

1-unit spam armies are also not viable, I really don't know how much multiplayer you played. The Germans have some trouble in that they lack a hard melee counter to spears but their spearmen are superior and they have enough tools to deal with it otherwise.

There's no tanks, obviously, and it's stupid to expect them but cavalry fill that role nicely with an insanely powerful charge, but they also interact with other units much more nicely than tanks in CoH.
18 Jun 2020, 17:21 PM

The first minute I played this I shift-clicked a squad and they did some weird stuff like partially fall back 20m and then move to the right spot. Then I just messed around and said "No way this is worth $50" and deleted.

Since it is a small download, I tried it again for about 2 minutes. I put a squad in cover against another squad and clicked the enemy squad. My squad turned into a fog of gnats, just tripping over each other doing some weird barn dance and never fired a shot.

It is so close to COH that I think it ruins the experience for COH players. We expect much better...uhhhh...everything than this game has. That is why I said if you just play it for what it is (and dont compare to COH) it may fun to play?

Like I have always said COH2 is the best RTS game ever. 85% of it is perfect, 15% of it is the worst game ever made. And the 15% is fixable, it just never will be fixed. Mainly the RNG is way too high. Makes it more of a realistic simulation, but it decides Win/Loss too much. Cut RNG by about 40-60% maybe the game becomes valid?

19 Jun 2020, 01:24 AM

I was never interested in the game because of the aesthetic.

Well, I tried it, and glaring above all of this game's other faults is the UI. It's a war crime.
19 Jun 2020, 17:30 PM

its weird to play, not units UI on the right side, they jump out of the cover regularly, they no feedback that you are on a greenvoer now...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★