It would be interesting to include some stats from OKW tourney / showmatch success in teamgames played during the recent patches since they include some of the best players / players of equal skill. There faction synergy also comes to play which is relevant in 75% of the game modes.
At least the showmatch from last weekend was a very pleasing experience to watch due to the historically accurate outcome
Profile of SweetrollNearTheDoor
Game Name: SweetrollWerfingNearTheDoor
Game Name: SweetrollWerfingNearTheDoor
Post History of SweetrollNearTheDoor
Thread: OKW needs redesign?15 Oct 2020, 08:13 AM
Thread: For Siberian27 Sep 2020, 16:43 PM
Witness the fun that happens in a usual 4v4 with "top players"
Thread: Bring back Sniper in an M315 Sep 2020, 09:44 AM
Drunk Von for Head of balance team
Thread: AVRE vs SturmTiger 23 Jul 2020, 17:40 PM
21 Jul 2020, 18:48 PMSander93
This answer raises several concerns.
Clearly the issue of the status quo inconsistencies between AVRE and Sturmtiger balance treatment has been acknowledged by the balance team and in addition players of all skill levels have expressed discontent for the current situation. (So far I've seen 0 rational explanations for why one of the two units in identical roles is a pile of hot garbage compared to the other.)
Several fact based and easily verifiable claims have been made in this thread. These include but are not limited to:
1. AVRE reload timer oversight which makes AVRE reload cooldown start before it has even fired giving it unfair advantage.
2. The absolutely butchered AoE of the Sturmtiger makes it regularly fail to wipe squads even on 100% accurate direct hits. Especially 6 man soviet teams regularly survive a pinpoint rocket hit whereas AVRE's AoE guarantees much more reliable squad wipes even at the edges of the explosion. In addition the smaller axis squad sizes don't exactly help with them surviving but thats an issue for another day.
3. The patch notes clearly state that the reason behind the Sturmtiger adjustments was to prevent easy full squad wipes. Meanwhile collective amnesia must have occurred since AVRE to this day does the exactly same thing and that seems to be perfectly fine while AVRE's veterancy is 100% offensive instead of giving the unit gimmick vet 1 mechanics to compensate for its unreliability in its primary role.
4. Veterancy and power level disparity. As I previously mentioned the AVRE gets its power level spike at vet 1 while Sturmtiger only get's it at vet 3. Also the automatic free crit repair of the AVRE at vet 3 makes it considerably less risky to use.
5. Several smaller adjustments have been suggested in this thread and in the past that would make these units to perform in a role that would still be relevant and less cancerous. (For example a small time penalty if an AVRE shot is cancelled before firing. That would reduce the forced retreats by Axis players assuming AVRE is about to fire - something something no firing animation for a 1 shot wipe (similar to the B4 firing time penalty if the shot is cancelled mid firing animation)
6. The recent 2v2 tourney and facts available make it obvious that an AVRE is a very potent unit. So far no justification has been provided why the Sturmtiger performing in an identical role is irredeemable and is deemed to be worthy only for casual play.
So far none of these points have been properly addressed. (facts don't care about feelings)
Neither me nor the community cannot demand the balance team to provide an explanation to the status quo but the radio silence / avoiding the facts of the matter raises several theories that can be supported with the information that is currently available.
1. At one point in time the scope (tm) has failed to account for the bigger picture focusing solely on readjusting the Sturmtiger while letting the AVRE escape the nerf hammer (readjustment hammer) scot-free.
2. Double standards have been used when adjusting the Sturmtiger.
3. The community sentiment (discontent for the status quo) is not taken into account sufficiently in the balance changes. This creates concerns that balance changes are driven by feels instead of facts and community sentiment.
I hope this comment is not regarded as hostile since all the issues listed are based on facts. I can however understand why the seeming radio silence might lead to more negative backlash from the community since people might think legitimate concerns are being outright ignored.
Thread: AVRE vs SturmTiger 21 Jul 2020, 17:30 PM
I made a thread about this a while back.
There are also several other factors that make the Sturmtiger an inferior counterpart and a brilliant attempt to throw the match.
For example the AVRE reload timer starts when the firing animation cycle starts so the reload timer is ticking before the AVRE has even fired
The biggest power spikes for the units happen when they get a reload time reduction. For AVRE that is vet 1 and is acquired very fast with as little as 2 good hits. As for the ST vet 3 gives similar reload time bonuses so the AVRE power spike happens 2 vet levels earlier.
Also the AVRE vet 3 crit repair is just ridiculous. Even in combat a Vet 3 AVRE is able to repair any engine damaged critical within 15 seconds (for free and automatically) making getting snared much less risky compared to any other non-churchill tank in the entire game.
I did quite a few tests and found out that due to the absolutely garbage AoE damage of the sturmtiger even pinpoint bullseye hits on support weapon teams left the gun and crew alive. This was the case especially with 6 men soviet squads. Meanwhile blind eye has been turned to the AVRE's ability to delete squads much more reliably with its superior AoE profile.
TLDR: Double standards have been applied when these units have been adjusted in the patches (aka AVRE has never been touched )
Thread: Other games18 Jul 2020, 14:43 PM
There is potential in Iron harvest and I'm pretty sure you can still get into the beta if you pre-order.
Just don't expect such a polished experience as in CoH2 but the basic concepts of CoH such as cover combat and unit specialization are there. In addition theres "Hero units" similar to Warcraft 3 and an overarching campaign with 3 factions that should be fully available when the game releases later this year.
In: Other Games
Thread: Sander's personal balance changes6 Jul 2020, 13:58 PM
Sander's changes would probably solve (at least) 90% of the current gripes that affect the balance and improve the overall fun factor while making every faction more enjoyable and rewarding to play.
However these changes present an opportunity for some alternative solutions.
Indirect fire cooldown vet bonus removal
Would it be worth looking at adding a new vet ability like "Extra munitions"? Since there are a lot of howizer doctrines with only a few tools to utilize munition float on I think it would be an interesting change to make it possible for players to exchange munitions for faster barrages making on-map arty work like off-map clicks. The players would still be able to use the free barrages if they don't want to sacrifice their munitions but then again players who decide to invest their munitions to barrages would get more bang for their buck on their initial investment before the howi gets one-clicked.
AEC tread break
Nowadays brits have several snares and temporary stuns. The AEC tread break is a relic of a bygone era when this was not the case and currently its one of the most punishing snares especially after vet 1. It feels kinda ridiculous that a light vehicle is able to completely cripple a full health Heavy tank or Heavy tank destroyer from such a long range. The combination of smoke, speed and the range of the tread shot make it an unreasonably high threat to late game armor. Is it possible to add a health threshold for the cripple or make it less punishing for Heavies. (I don't think it is intended/good design for an AEC to be able to present such a significant threat to end game armor but maybe its just me)
Rapid conscription / relief infantry
I like the idea of trading munitions to recover manpower from losses but would it be overpowered if the ability still provided Prostruppen/Conscripts if full squads were wiped during the activation of this ability? I don't think it would cause big issues since it would be an extremely bad trade to sacrifice vetted up and upgraded squads to get fresh replacements at later stages of the game. The replacement squads would still make it easier to recover from all in pushes and to regain map control more quickly for example while preserving the original characteristics of the abilities.
Thread: Fix walking stuka 0 damage hits5 Jul 2020, 13:18 PM
5 Jul 2020, 10:31 AMMr. Someguy
The reality is often disappointing
Anyhow - the elephant in the room is still the fact that one particular rocket artillery is extremely unreliable on direct hits and the issue should be fixed. I know there are other pressing matters such as "hotfixing" the infrared HT with 2 popcap adjustment after burying the unit in a shallow grave in the previous patch but the Stuka issue should not be ignored.
Thread: Fix walking stuka 0 damage hits5 Jul 2020, 10:08 AM
5 Jul 2020, 09:22 AMFire and Terror
This is due to the problem that the rockets have 0 pen, so they practically bounce if it is a direct hit. But if they dont hit drectly its AOE actaully deals more dmg since it ignores penetration .
Oh so that's what causes it
So in theory - since shocks still have body armor, right - is it possible for a shock squad to bounce a direct stuka rocket hit ?
If the pen valua change would be the fix I'm all for it especially when it affects such a mainstream and vital unit - there is no justification for a unit to randomly be able to kill even Priests or Sextons and sometimes fail to kill an Ambo ona direct hit. Improving consistency would be a good change for both sides.
Thread: Fix walking stuka 0 damage hits5 Jul 2020, 08:11 AM
I think most people have seen or experienced the following scenario:
You or your opponent lands a perfect hit on a Katy for example with a walking stuka barrage.
Then one of 2 things will happen:
It either gets yeeted into oblivion or the bullseye pinpoint rocket hit does 0 damage meaning you wasted a barrage that should have been deadly and rewarded the players good accuracy.
Since OKW seems to be not in a very good spot right now (tm) at least fix this inconsistency/unpredictability with stuka rocket damage that has no reason to exist. It is especially frustrating when the Stuka is such a large investment for OKW and it is often required to counter allied rocket artillery or retreat points.
Big brain fix suggestions: Either normalize the rocket damage so it does reliable damage like other rocket arty / indirect fire or remove the Stuka entirely and be done with the problem while improving the historically accurate balance
Latest replays uploaded by SweetrollNearTheDoor
Ladders Top 10