Login

russian armor

Brit (non-doc) tools to delete OKW HQs are ridiculous

29 Apr 2020, 13:36 PM

To this day I still ask myself, why you can manually aim with the bofors, but not with the OKW flak.

One is a unit with pop cap, cost, needs to be built manually, gets vet.

Other is a tech structure with a bonus.
29 Apr 2020, 13:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2020, 13:24 PMVipper

Smoke is 25
Barrage is 45
gammon is 50

I have to point out thou that you are comparing a stock option with an commander ability.

IL-2 does not 1 shoot trucks.

Thank you! Yeah it was prob the one time I looked away and my truck got deleted, but I think there was some damage already so misjudged the ability's damage.
29 Apr 2020, 13:40 PM

With OKW, I've always tended to be careful with my trucks; keep the main buildings at spawn, and occasionally Panzer Command protecting my cutoff.

OKW has flak guns everywhere at spawn. Come in with satchels if you like.
29 Apr 2020, 13:47 PM

Air Supremacy Operation will one shot trucks 80% of the time but thats 250 muni and has a high CP requirement.
29 Apr 2020, 14:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2020, 13:36 PMKatitof

One is a unit with pop cap, cost, needs to be built manually, gets vet.

Other is a tech structure with a bonus.

Alright, let's say you build all of them in the base, OKW would lose some of their advantages, as they're kinda supposed to build them outside of the base. Otherwise it would be just unfair because of their high costs. I'd also prefer a medic truck like USF has it. So I'd say OP has a point, on the other hand I'm an axis fanboy, so my opinion might not be too valid.
29 Apr 2020, 15:19 PM

Couldn't you just attack ground into the smoke with Schwer to slow down the attack? Then bring infantry to counter.

You can't prevent smoke and gammon bombs. They are being used as intended. You can position your Schwer better in a safer position to avoid being smoke gammon bombed. Or just kill his mortar pit, those are insanely easy targets for stuka.

Not to pudding on OP but this seems like a l2p positioning issue rather than a gameplay mechanic issue/abuse.

Not to be big brain but if you take a look at my match history you will see a plethora of allied brit games I've done - I'll let your imagination decide what big brain stuff I've been doing/testing in those recently.

For example mortar pit on Across the Rhine build in the fuel will be in smoke barrage range of axis base territory and i was able to just walk over there by chaining smoke and gib a truck in HQ sector. There is little you can do to prevent that if you don't know what cheese is coming and you only need to do one bad retreat for your truck to be sentenced to death. (Safest truck positioning in base confirmed L2P issue :romeoMug: ?) Also its not a big investment for the brit player, at worst a bit of manpower bleed and a retreat for a failed attempt. (If you have to retreat with the 2 demo team tommies just go for 5+ section build to maintain map presence :snfPeter: )

The mortar pit needs to be up about a minute so it can fire enough smoke so that stuka counter better be damn speedy in KOing the pit in that time frame. After that the pit has served its purpose and payed for itself so it matters little if it dies.
29 Apr 2020, 16:28 PM

Build Schwehr HQ in the base if you don't think you can defend it.
29 Apr 2020, 18:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Build Schwehr HQ in the base if you don't think you can defend it.

Yep.

UKF ridiculous ability was the offmap artillery which would 1 shot any OKW truck (it was nerfed). Any combination of abilities which led to a death truck is fair game.

If you want the Flak HQ to be more resilient to anything else or give it more flexibility in it usage there is plenty of changes that need to be done.
For once, the cannon upgrade should not be tied to the Panzer Authorization and be a separate upgrade (just like medics and mechanics). Then you can let it be aimed, be stronger, give it popcap, brace, etc. This would be specially good because now you can make PA a one time tech research.
1 May 2020, 13:21 PM

Found this old replay with the same strat happening back in Dec 2018 with a little teamwork.

https://youtu.be/Xqn0hu2A9ug?t=1458
1 May 2020, 13:24 PM

Found this old replay with the same strat happening back in Dec 2018 with a little teamwork.

https://youtu.be/Xqn0hu2A9ug?t=1458

See, its fun and balanced back then, because IS had 15% less moving accuracy then they have now.
Now its overpowered and unacceptable, because combined arms shouldn't be a thing in this game, also overpowered on the move accuracy of every single other rifle squad.
1 May 2020, 19:20 PM

Alright, let's say you build all of them in the base, OKW would lose some of their advantages, as they're kinda supposed to build them outside of the base. Otherwise it would be just unfair because of their high costs. I'd also prefer a medic truck like USF has it. So I'd say OP has a point, on the other hand I'm an axis fanboy, so my opinion might not be too valid.

I am confused. By OKW flak did you mean the truck or the emplacement that sturmpios build?
1 May 2020, 19:31 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

It'd be better if they removed the ability to place trucks forward and just made the trucks refund on setup. Forward trucks have always been cheesey gimmicks.
2 May 2020, 05:25 AM

Replace everything you said with emplacements, also if its that easy to smoke and walk into someones base, why has it never in my thousands of hours playng, happened to me? Because it doesnt work.

Its a L2P issue im affraid.
2 May 2020, 06:55 AM

In general, I'd say trucks are fine; but it could be interesting to add a copy of UKF's "brace" to them. Emplacements and trucks are relatively similar in terms of 'damage dealing' and utility, and they're both static structures - might as well even it out a bit.

It'd be better if they removed the ability to place trucks forward and just made the trucks refund on setup. Forward trucks have always been cheesey gimmicks.

The flack truck, maybe; but the rest, no. The only way this could happen is if all FHQ healing/reinforcing structures/abilities were removed. The Mech-Truck is the only source of non-engineer repairing for the entire Axis side (compared to Sov repair stations and UKF forward assembly), and the med-truck is the only non-muni based healing source for Axis (except the 251 and Vet), compared to USF's Ambulance, Sov's FHQ, and UKF's Forward Assembly + Medics. It's also the only source of 'out-of-base' reinforcement for OKW.

Removing the Med/Mech trucks from the field would severely impact Axis' ability to keep up map pressure, especially in larger team games.
2 May 2020, 07:09 AM

To this day I still ask myself, why you can manually aim with the bofors, but not with the OKW flak.

Give a "free" Bofors to UKF and then it will happen. Jokes aside, OKW HQ should act same as bofors.
2 May 2020, 09:09 AM

I am confused. By OKW flak did you mean the truck or the emplacement that sturmpios build?

I'm talking about the truck Panzer HQ.
2 May 2020, 11:39 AM

Mech-Truck is the only source of non-engineer repairing for the entire Axis side

what about concret bunker ?
2 May 2020, 14:57 PM

See, its fun and balanced back then, because IS had 15% less moving accuracy then they have now.
Now its overpowered and unacceptable, because combined arms shouldn't be a thing in this game, also overpowered on the move accuracy of every single other rifle squad.

For this you need to take a big brain look at how the game has changed over the last patches. If you want the status quo to remain feel free to but there is no need to twist and ignore reality to try and rationalize it.

Similar thing happened with Ram. It’s been unchanged for years, but the addition of Rocket Strafe made the synergy between the abilities very problematic & big brain and sparked a lot of warranted discussion.

Now that the Brit faction is viable to play in most skill levels certain combos naturally also become more popular and attractive to use. Therefore this thread exists now.

I appreciate the entertainment value in repeating that 2-3 Tommies moving under smoke uncountered is big brain micro or combined arms but the joke gets old quickly when it’s repeated every other sentence – even jesters needs to update their material every once in a while.
2 May 2020, 14:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 May 2020, 05:25 AMLatch
Replace everything you said with emplacements, also if its that easy to smoke and walk into someones base, why has it never in my thousands of hours playng, happened to me? Because it doesnt work.

Its a L2P issue im affraid.

Let me bury that anecdotal evidence real quick with actual replay proof that it happens :romeoMug: (You actually need to play at minimum one single round of OKW for your truck to have a statistical chance to be gammoned so I guess it’s a valid point if it hasn’t happened to you personally)

As for emplacements on most maps emplacements in base sector are utterly useless and on maps where they are positioned near base sector like Crossing they do get smoke creeped (considerably harder without creeping smoke) but at least they have brace to prevent an instant wipe so you have at least 20 seconds to react and start gathering units for defence.
When creeping smoke barrage starts and sections advance upon an OKW truck its dead unless the Brit player messes up.

When I have more time to play I will be happy to provide more higher quality replay proof of how Creeping Smoke + uncounterable Gammons take away from the overall enjoyment of the game and cause an unnecessary source of frustration for the Axis players that they can do very little about :snfPeter:

2 May 2020, 15:14 PM

Not to be big brain but if you take a look at my match history you will see a plethora of allied brit games I've done - I'll let your imagination decide what big brain stuff I've been doing/testing in those recently.

For example mortar pit on Across the Rhine build in the fuel will be in smoke barrage range of axis base territory and i was able to just walk over there by chaining smoke and gib a truck in HQ sector. There is little you can do to prevent that if you don't know what cheese is coming and you only need to do one bad retreat for your truck to be sentenced to death. (Safest truck positioning in base confirmed L2P issue :romeoMug: ?) Also its not a big investment for the brit player, at worst a bit of manpower bleed and a retreat for a failed attempt. (If you have to retreat with the 2 demo team tommies just go for 5+ section build to maintain map presence :snfPeter: )

The mortar pit needs to be up about a minute so it can fire enough smoke so that stuka counter better be damn speedy in KOing the pit in that time frame. After that the pit has served its purpose and payed for itself so it matters little if it dies.

If you were able to put up a mortar pit by the fuel in Across the Rhine, and keep it from being destroyed, then the game wasn't competitive at all. In games like that, you can do anything you want and it doesn't prove anything. One of my teammates, who plays UKF, will build 5 snipers and go big game (Puma) hunting in those games. It doesn't prove anything beyond the fact that there were too few people searching to make a good match.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 25
Peru 19
unknown 7
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %