Login

russian armor

Skill planes

24 Apr 2020, 19:17 PM

Maybe the russian one is similar, I am not sure but fuck me is that ability strong. The planes arrive very quickly and if pathing decides to do its usuall "Fuck you im going this way" or a simple faust, its a dead tank.

Isn't it a little bit TOO powerful? Comparing it to other AT abilities, does it over perform or is it similar?
24 Apr 2020, 19:21 PM

Pretty sure it's extremely similar to the P47 rocket strafe.

Tbh I think all planes are fine since you can get AA. The real problem is the Soviet AT Overwatch which you get rekt by if you get snared or rammed.
24 Apr 2020, 19:32 PM

The only issue with being able to get AA to counter an offmap is that AA costs popcap and all the rest whilst an offmap is only costing muni.

I could get a centaur for example but unless I am active with it which is rather hard since its quite squishy, Im wasting popcap mp and fuel to hopefully counter planes, or, I could get a bofors but then that locks out AEC and is static so it has to be placed in the correct area.

My problem with it isnt that its an offmap or any other abilities like it despite what it may sound like, its just with how fast they kill and how much damage they do to tanks
24 Apr 2020, 19:37 PM

you only start anti axis threads dont you
24 Apr 2020, 19:47 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Hard to write anti-allies threads when you've never played against them before.
24 Apr 2020, 20:29 PM

Nope, anything that seems broken or unfair I will post about, as I mainly play UKF I am faced mainly with Axis units, so :thumb:

Compare it to the vanguard strafing support and the damage that the rockets to do tanks, they are worlds apart, abilites should be a threat, but downright killing tanks after a faust is a bit much don't you think? They should have to at least make some effort to finish off tanks or combine a push with the abilityies like this and not just use the ability.
24 Apr 2020, 21:02 PM

Well, its definitely the strongest skill-plane ability, far better than rocket runs (Soviet one excluded but thats a strafe, not skillplane/loiter)

The raw damage wouldnt be problematic if it wasnt so good at chasing
24 Apr 2020, 21:15 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

The UKF planes ain't exactly any less oppressive. The one that comes on the forward base is pretty strong and can wipe full support teams.

Anyways, build a centaur. The centaur and the ostwind are the most capable lategame units which are also good at AA.
24 Apr 2020, 21:44 PM

The UKF planes ain't exactly any less oppressive. The one that comes on the forward base is pretty strong and can wipe full support teams.

Anyways, build a centaur. The centaur and the ostwind are the most capable lategame units which are also good at AA.

I dont want this to become a "But X has it too!" back and forth, if a mod could change the title to "Skill Planes" it might clear some things up.

No skill plane should be aple to fully wipe something that is trying to get away, unless of course they are on low health, a faust + an AT strafe is a dead tank and its very silly (there maybe other combos from allies side equally as similar).

I get that I can get an AA unit and stop it but its never just as easy as that, this could be late game where popcap is so tight, you can't afford an AA unit, until of course, the skill planes wipes one of your tanks :lolol:

In my ideal solution the AT strafe and similar would be targeted similar to the walking Stuka so you have to predict the path of the tank with 1 pass, if the tank is in that and doesnt move, by all means kill it, its deserved, just to make things less click and win.
24 Apr 2020, 22:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2020, 20:29 PMLatch
Nope, anything that seems broken or unfair I will post about, as I mainly play UKF I am faced mainly with Axis units, so :thumb:

Have you ever considered though that only ever being on the receiving end of something might cloud your judgement?
24 Apr 2020, 23:12 PM

Have you ever considered though that only ever being on the receiving end of something might cloud your judgement?

It can do I agree but when you try to get a fausted tank outside of the area where an AT strafe is coming in and it simply kills the tank, I dont think anything is being clouded here.
25 Apr 2020, 03:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2020, 21:44 PMLatch

I dont want this to become a "But X has it too!" back and forth, if a mod could change the title to "Skill Planes" it might clear some things up.

No skill plane should be aple to fully wipe something that is trying to get away, unless of course they are on low health, a faust + an AT strafe is a dead tank and its very silly (there maybe other combos from allies side equally as similar).

I get that I can get an AA unit and stop it but its never just as easy as that, this could be late game where popcap is so tight, you can't afford an AA unit, until of course, the skill planes wipes one of your tanks :lolol:

In my ideal solution the AT strafe and similar would be targeted similar to the walking Stuka so you have to predict the path of the tank with 1 pass, if the tank is in that and doesnt move, by all means kill it, its deserved, just to make things less click and win.

It didn't simply kill the tank though. I placed the CAS behind you because you dived so deep, so it was impossible to escape only because you were inside the circle the whole duration. AND I maintained vision throughout almost the whole duration. It was pretty easy, but you're certainly omitting lots of information from the equation.

CAS is pretty BS but let's not pretend it was a "click-and-win". I was floating mountains of MP, fuel, and muni and had arguably already won by the 15 minute mark. It's only on Angoville that you could have survived that long since few other maps are as conducive to turtling.
25 Apr 2020, 03:23 AM

"SKILLPLANES! TAKE COVER!" - :sibHyena:
AA and skillplanes is down.
25 Apr 2020, 04:23 AM

Prepare AA

No problem
25 Apr 2020, 05:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2020, 04:23 AMblancat
Prepare AA

No problem

"SKILLPLANES! TAKE COVER!" - :sibHyena:
AA and skillplanes is down.

I would reccomend reading more than just my first post... :loco:
25 Apr 2020, 06:14 AM

I think non-recon loiters in general aren't a great idea. They can be a colossal waste of munitions, or they can be completely devastating

Which one it is usually has little to do with skill. It's usually just is the AA close enough to where the player just decided to call in the ability
25 Apr 2020, 08:30 AM

It's too late for CoH2, but I think CoH3 should have a permanent, all-time ban on skill planes. Yes, even when the paid commanders roll out.

The patch a while back that made AA actually semi-consistent was a godsend, that improved a lot and made AA defense actually viable, but I agree with SkysTheLimit, it's still too RNG what happens when someone calls in skill planes, especially in the first few seconds.

It's obvious common knowledge but any automatic area-effect ability for any faction, just goes against the game design. Look at the original plane abilities, that do tiny little strafes, and give a warning and time to react. The new ones instantly performs AI and AT attacks over a large area (party cover, skill planes), and stays there for a long time.

Sorry but there's a reason it's called "Skill" planes, it's the only abilities in the game that I actually refuse to use, as any faction, because it just makes me feel embarrassed at how incredibly noobish and low-skill / high-reward they are.
25 Apr 2020, 15:13 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

My view on skillplanes for CoH3 would be to make them loiter around first during the map on approach and then let the player have X number of times to allow them to manually strafe something.
25 Apr 2020, 15:28 PM

My view on skillplanes for CoH3 would be to make them loiter around first during the map on approach and then let the player have X number of times to allow them to manually strafe something.

That's a good idea
25 Apr 2020, 15:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

While we're at it turning this thread into a CoH3 wishlist:
I would love to see CoH3 have buyable planes. You buy one like a normal unit and then call it in like an off-map.

You could even potentially pay mun for each run, or pay mun if you want to change weapons from AI cannons to AT rockets or something, and the player has to manually target units. The plane then has a timer after which it goes back to base if it did not get shot down.

This would of course mean that the whole game design must incorporate AA better than CoH2 did
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★