Login

russian armor

(H)MG34

8 Apr 2020, 18:18 PM

MG34
Currently does the least amount of suppression and is not an effective crowd control unit. We’ve decided to increase the suppression so it can fulfill its role as a crowd control unit.
Damage reduced from 4 to 2
Suppression increase by 15%

This change was applied barely before Brits got released and that is the moment when it went into avg territory. Good suppression wise, too much to be desired dmg wise.

Anything before that it was REALLY good.

I really can't agree that 2 per shot made the HMG 'avg' there. It was so bad after that 4->2 patch it should have been a meme.

In any case these are ancient history notes for a version that ceased to be relevant years ago. Topic's about the MG34 today. I shouldn't have engaged with the mention of the early versions.

8 Apr 2020, 18:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The thing is, you don't need dmg on the MG34 when you only need it for suppression and the heavy lifting is been done by the other units on the faction.
8 Apr 2020, 18:37 PM

Yeah that's not true. The mg34 is plenty good at suppressing. It's certainly much better than the Maxim

It's damage is bad but thats not important for an MG... It's only job is to suppress, 34 does that completely fine

This.

The only things I would add is that the MG34 has a huge arc, especially compared to the Maxim, so one of them replaces two Maxims (roughly). Once there is a lot of yellow cover, the Maxim is really ineffective. I'd gladly trade it for a MG34 when playing Soviets.
8 Apr 2020, 19:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I am not sure what you're on about.
Your opening post claimed that the MG34 has poor suppression, and does a bad job at crowd control which would in turn encourage blobbing.

This is just untrue as proven already. It has a similar (or even the same?) firing cone to the MG42 which is unarguably the best MG for area control and suppression. Suppression stats prove it, and if you go in-game and compare both head to head they suppress pretty much the same.
8 Apr 2020, 19:18 PM

It has a similar (or even the same?) firing cone to the MG42

Both have -60/60 firing cone.
8 Apr 2020, 21:05 PM

When one follows history of the changes in the case HMG-34 one has to keep in mind that before December patch HMG-34 had a superior crew and lots of DPS come from the crew. This is change is listed as "bug" change but it effected the balance of the unit:

"Fixed an issue where OKW starting weapon crew stats were superior to other faction weapon crews, and on-par with mainline infantry"
8 Apr 2020, 22:12 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Both have -60/60 firing cone.

Thanks
8 Apr 2020, 22:58 PM

Wide arc, good suppression, access to incendiary rounds and being available no matter what tech you choose make HMG34 a good teamweapon. No buffs are needed.
9 Apr 2020, 00:00 AM

I voted that HMG34 needs no buff. Can you address the issue with it OP? If its a need for better suppression, i can only suggest you pairing it up with a Flak HT

Added: As part of the OKW design, they have great offensive power, often the best (Wstukas and KT) compared the rest standard tools. A reasonable drawback is to have less crowd control or make it harder to achieve, hence the need for 2 HMGs to tackle harder to control infantries.
9 Apr 2020, 03:59 AM

In my opinion the MG34 is fine. The damage is a bit on the low side but incendiary rounds help make up for that. And its suppression is quite decent.

The only buff I could accept would be a small reduction in manpower cost if the price is too high for its performance.
9 Apr 2020, 11:25 AM

I voted that HMG34 needs no buff. Can you address the issue with it OP? If its a need for better suppression, i can only suggest you pairing it up with a Flak HT

Added: As part of the OKW design, they have great offensive power, often the best (Wstukas and KT) compared the rest standard tools. A reasonable drawback is to have less crowd control or make it harder to achieve, hence the need for 2 HMGs to tackle harder to control infantries.

Flak HT has a lifetime of single-digit minutes in 4v4 and limits you to Battlegroup HQ...which may not be the right choice, esp against heavy LV play. I guess I'll just fall back on the tried and tested strat of Fort bunkers/Luft AA emplacements to secure sectors...like I've been doing the past 4 months. Oh well.
9 Apr 2020, 12:00 PM

This has been discussed repeatedly on this board.

I was always of fan of reducing its supression and increasing its damage, since IRL the MG34 had a slower rate of fire compared to the MG42.

It just feels like a crappy MG42.

Instead of incendiary, it could have increased ROF special attack, increasing its suppression to that of an MG42 temporarily. This would make sense in the fact early MG34's had a clockwork adjuster to increase/decrease ROF for an intended purpose.
9 Apr 2020, 14:46 PM

I've been playing 1v1 OKW a fair bit recently and I can't say that I think the HMG34 needs a buff. It has a big arch and suppresses very well. It doesn't have the same Oomph as the MG42, but with OKW I don't find myself lacking in Oomph anyway with Double Obers being fairly easy to acquire, its the crowd control that I am looking for.
10 Apr 2020, 09:40 AM

I've been playing 1v1 OKW a fair bit recently and I can't say that I think the HMG34 needs a buff. It has a big arch and suppresses very well. It doesn't have the same Oomph as the MG42, but with OKW I don't find myself lacking in Oomph anyway with Double Obers being fairly easy to acquire, its the crowd control that I am looking for.

+1
10 Apr 2020, 12:05 PM

IRL the MG34 had a slower rate of fire compared to the MG42.

This is not correct. The lower rate of fire versions of the MG 34 had a lower rate of fire than the MG42. There were 600rpm, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 1800 rpm versions of the 34.

Rate of fire could be altered very simply by manipulating the spring.
10 Apr 2020, 18:38 PM

1800 rpm MG34!!!
Where can i see that in action?
Pleeeeeeeeeeaaasee?
10 Apr 2020, 21:45 PM

1800 rpm MG34!!!
Pleeeeeeeeeeaaasee?

+1
Would also be nice if MG42 was also able to do the same, I would even pay to see that on both, no kidding.
11 Apr 2020, 15:08 PM

1800 rpm MG34!!!
Pleeeeeeeeeeaaasee?

Well, I wouldn't have any idea where to acquire one. If you live in the US, you probably have the best chance at that.

+1
Would also be nice if MG42 was also able to do the same, I would even pay to see that on both, no kidding.

The MG 42 follows the same principle, but was not factory delivered in the same way. There were 1200 and 1500rpm versions of the MG 42 delivered to units. Theoretically, you could also exchange the spring and increase/decrease the firing rate just as you could on the MG 34.

There was also the MG213, which was a 20mm aircraft cannon with a cadence of 1000 rounds per minute. It also existed as 30mm.

Germans were nuts.
11 Apr 2020, 16:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2020, 15:08 PMDomine

Well, I wouldn't have any idea where to acquire one. If you live in the US, you probably have the best chance at that.

The MG 42 follows the same principle, but was not factory delivered in the same way. There were 1200 and 1500rpm versions of the MG 42 delivered to units. Theoretically, you could also exchange the spring and increase/decrease the firing rate just as you could on the MG 34.

There was also the MG213, which was a 20mm aircraft cannon with a cadence of 1000 rounds per minute. It also existed as 30mm.

Germans were nuts.

Looks like germans tried to just fire quickly enough, thinking it does the job. Don't think they ever thought about actually being able to produce it in the same or more quantities than the Allies to do the job done. Why would they ever need these "versions" of MG34 and MG42?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 2
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment