Login

russian armor

(H)MG34

7 Apr 2020, 21:43 PM

It also ignores more or less suppression, battles in green-cover to green-cover are easy-wins. Vickers is desinged to perform best as garrison. So why it gets the mechanics?

Go un-scrub yourself and learn how green cover works.....

Like why brits were able to use grenades without min. range? (before I request with full heart to patch) and still don't have the suppression range nerf if suppressed?

Which HMG throws nades now?
7 Apr 2020, 21:43 PM

Go un-scrub yourself and learn how green cover works.....

Which HMG throws nades now?

Do you have a brain?

Edit: Can we please stop to have these narrow-minded conversations? There are more units in that game.

HMG34 only looks kind of bad, because it has same mechanism as HMG42, so it stopps shooting if suppressed. While other HMGs nearly ignores that (Maxim is best). + playing versus smaller squads.

That is as stupid as Soviets can have 6men crews on other captured weapons like PaK40, HMG42, HMG34, Mortars etc.

Edit: And we can have a nice conversation about that. But as it feels ingame you need some ingame examples to refute.

Edit of Edit of Edit:

I would be fine if Vickers has stats of HMG34 :P
7 Apr 2020, 21:55 PM

Yes that's exactly my point. This is why MG damage doesn't really matter, regardless of which MG you're talking about

If anything it's one of the few (maybe only?) negative things about larger squad sizes, so you could definitely say it benefits MG34 against soviets for example

IIRC the Blitzkrieg Mod from CoH1 offered a solution for this. If someone blobbed, the blob received a malus against MGs. So therefore MGs were fine against single units, and strong against a heavy blob because the blob received more damage.

It was explained with that more Infantry assaulting it would be easier to hit with sustained fire some infantry or something like that.
Maybe this would help to punish blobs and forces the player to go more fore combined arms, flanking etc
7 Apr 2020, 21:56 PM

CoH1 Vanilla also has suppression for tanks sec. MG. So infantry gets worse without cover P.S. bad movement.
7 Apr 2020, 22:25 PM

Volks cannot push BAR'd rifles or 7 man cons. Not unless you're blobbing up to the cover and pray he doesn't dodge a flamenade.

I meant in support of the HMG 34. A flamenade will force any infantry away from the heavy cover and the HMG 34 will suppress them the moment they do, unless you get unlucky with the burst/reload timing etc.

OKW has plenty of good cost effective mobile infantry to deal the damage, and a mainline that can deny the enemy cover. They don't need a high DPS HMG. The HMG 34 does what it needs to do (suppress) just fine and there's no reason to change this dynamic.
7 Apr 2020, 22:30 PM

A flamenade will force any infantry away from the heavy cover

Maybe, but it doesn't punish while having a timer. Like say... molotov.
7 Apr 2020, 22:36 PM

Maybe, but it doesn't punish while having a timer. Like say... molotov.

It also doesn't have near melee range, like molotov, nor does it have extremely long throw animation, like molotov...

Quite the BS, you're as clueless as it gets.
7 Apr 2020, 22:41 PM

It also doesn't have near melee range, like molotov, nor does it have extremely long throw animation, like molotov...

So, does the US-Clone have that too? hmm...
7 Apr 2020, 23:33 PM

So, does the US-Clone have that too? hmm...

>1 doctrinal ability in single off meta commander is a global balance issue
8 Apr 2020, 01:17 AM

mg34 is pretty tough to vet up. I know this has been tinkered with but unless you get in inc rounds off on a vehicle it takes a really long time.

8 Apr 2020, 01:32 AM

It has very good suppression, only slightly worse than the HMG 42. IIRC it suppresses squads at medium range in neutral cover in ~1,3s while the HMG 42 does it in ~1.2s.

It has lackluster damage but that's not what you get an HMG for anyway.

Addressing the suppression, others addressed the damage - getting very tired of seeing squads run through the arcs unsuppressed on the other side, which wouldn't happen to the same time vs an MG42. No one would expect a shock squad to go and run towards an MG42, and then crawl close enough to toss a frag nade. You'll just get pinned. Essentially forces a smoke before that happens. With an MG34 I've seen shocks do the frag and not get pinned.

It has that already in the form of incendiary rounds.

I'd point out that is like saying that the M1 57mm is the best AT gun in the game if you spend 30 muni on it every time you want it to shoot. Or the Maxim is a great MG if you have Sustained Fire constantly active. No one would seriously argue the maxim is a good MG, practically only remains used much due to OKW inf blobs.

Yes, I am. It's asymetrical balance that works fine in my opinion. A vetted up vickers becomes more difficult to deal with, AP rounds on axis MGs turns them into temporary beast mode MGs.

The Vickers in this scenario is both self-spotting and has good suppression/damage. A IAP MG34 still cannot self-spot any further than normal (not counting the vet V here, that's unrealistic to get it) AND you must also pre-load the gun to be effective. Which means you need a spotter between the MG and the squads coming somehow. Pressing IAP while they're in range is a frequent death sentence for the crew.
8 Apr 2020, 01:36 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

I meant in support of the HMG 34. A flamenade will force any infantry away from the heavy cover and the HMG 34 will suppress them the moment they do, unless you get unlucky with the burst/reload timing etc.

OKW has plenty of good cost effective mobile infantry to deal the damage, and a mainline that can deny the enemy cover. They don't need a high DPS HMG. The HMG 34 does what it needs to do (suppress) just fine and there's no reason to change this dynamic.

I'd say this is more of a skill as opposed to luck. If you're watching the engagement it isn't exactly hard to wait for bursts to end to give yourself an extra second of no suppression. OKW has great cost efficient infantry in blobs. Try taking 1v1 engangements though and volks lose to literally everything except unupgraded cons. Their support teams are still good, but everything they do is far better in groups. ISGs by schwer, MG34s, raketen blobs. The whole faction just doesn't play the combined arms way and just cheeses the entire game through blobs, schwer HQ, and stuka zu fuss. If that's the way they're designed, then yes the MG34 works as intended.
8 Apr 2020, 01:37 AM

I'd point out that is like saying that the M1 57mm is the best AT gun in the game if you spend 30 muni on it every time you want it to shoot. Or the Maxim is a great MG if you have Sustained Fire constantly active. No one would seriously argue the maxim is a good MG, practically only remains used much due to OKW inf blobs.

I have seen plenty of people argue that the USF at gun is very good due to its ability.
8 Apr 2020, 02:22 AM

I'd point out that is like saying that the M1 57mm is the best AT gun in the game if you spend 30 muni on it every time you want it to shoot.

Sabot rounds comes with the AT gun though. It's not a vet 1 ability. That's an important difference

Or the Maxim is a great MG if you have Sustained Fire constantly active. No one would seriously argue the maxim is a good MG, practically only remains used much due to OKW inf blobs.

Sustained fire allows the maxim to actually do it's job. AP rounds on the mg34 is not necessary for it to do it's job, it's more of a bonus
8 Apr 2020, 03:52 AM

So you're comparing an active ability that requires premptive use to a vickers passive one like 55 range and 50 sight in buildings? Doesn't seem to fair.

Have you ever tested a max range Vickers vs a squad at max range in green cover? You'll be waiting a long time.

Sure you can make the argument other MGs do extra DPS, retreating through a Vickers at close to mid range is painful. But Vickers DPS vs green cover is pitiful.

That's the role of building green cover. But the 34 has a nifty ability to destroy sandbags and light vehicles
8 Apr 2020, 03:56 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Have you ever tested a max range Vickers vs a squad at max range in green cover? You'll be waiting a long time.

Sure you can make the argument other MGs do extra DPS, retreating through a Vickers at close to mid range is painful. But Vickers DPS vs green cover is pitiful.

That's the role of building green cover. But the 34 has a nifty ability to destroy sandbags and light vehicles

Pitiful is still apparently better than any other HMG. I don't expect it to rival vet 5 obers with an LMG34, but it doesn't take 5+ minutes to make a squad move like the HMG34.
8 Apr 2020, 04:01 AM

Yes, but only if the Maxim and Vickers get something as well.
8 Apr 2020, 08:58 AM

Pitiful is still apparently better than any other HMG. I don't expect it to rival vet 5 obers with an LMG34, but it doesn't take 5+ minutes to make a squad move like the HMG34.

If you want to make a squad move out of cover, use the ISG. You're trying to peel potatoes with a fork here.
8 Apr 2020, 09:27 AM

I'd be happy to swap the stats of the Maxim and MG34 and call it a day.
8 Apr 2020, 09:45 AM

Sabot rounds comes with the AT gun though. It's not a vet 1 ability. That's an important difference

Sustained fire allows the maxim to actually do it's job. AP rounds on the mg34 is not necessary for it to do it's job, it's more of a bonus

The whole point of my bringing this thread is that the MG34 barely does its job even on a good day.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Apr 2020, 09:27 AMGrim
I'd be happy to swap the stats of the Maxim and MG34 and call it a day.

Not trying to steal someone else's MG here. Maxim I'll leave to someone else to deal with. Would like the 50 cal to be looked at over its rather blantant overperformance that allows it to just A-move and insta suppress. But that's not why I brought this topic up.

A point I think has slipped people's minds and my own yesterday - the MG34 comes later than the 42, Vickers and Maxim yet is worse than all of them. Doesn't seem right for a tech structure at all. It's actually penalising combined arms play. I could it understand it being on par, due to the strength of OKW infantry overall then (StG44) but it doesn't even reach that. Don't even try MG-MG building shootouts with it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★