Login

russian armor

Guards should be more viable anti-infantry in the early game

20 Feb 2020, 18:37 PM

Guards should arrive onto the battlefield with only mosins and the PTRS should instead be a free upgrade. Thoughts?
20 Feb 2020, 18:48 PM

Maybe, maybe not.
20 Feb 2020, 18:49 PM

I would really like that actually.
20 Feb 2020, 18:57 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

But, their PTRS are good vs infantry anyways?
20 Feb 2020, 19:01 PM

If you lower the DPS on the move than ok.
20 Feb 2020, 19:13 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Feb 2020, 19:01 PMVipper
If you lower the DPS on the move than ok.

Yep.

People will cry for nerfs on Guards when they are now fine, when they see what they can do without hampering them down with PTRS.
20 Feb 2020, 20:25 PM

Your reasons OP?
I mean to like or wish is ok but in order to push a change you might need a little more
20 Feb 2020, 20:34 PM

Your reasons OP?
I mean to like or wish is ok but in order to push a change you might need a little more

Yeah I guess it's mostly a wish - can't be bothered to actually look up the exact stats, but I believe it would make them a little more viable as elite infantry at 2 CPs - would make them more in line with shock troops and other elite squads, however as someone else pointed out, their moving accuracy profile is insanely good - that should be taken into consideration if this were to be implemented, and nerfed accordingly.
20 Feb 2020, 21:06 PM

I though 6xMN guards will too horrible……it's near the 6 men grenadier
20 Feb 2020, 21:40 PM

Aren't the guards PTRS fairly strong due to some hidden stat or something? That's on top of destroying cover.

Penal SVTs are better than the guards mosin so why not build those instead of making guards a worse clone of penals?
20 Feb 2020, 21:59 PM

Not neccessary really... soviet have enough AI early game and even woth ptrs guards are formidable.
20 Feb 2020, 22:09 PM

Aren't the guards PTRS fairly strong due to some hidden stat or something? That's on top of destroying cover.

Penal SVTs are better than the guards mosin so why not build those instead of making guards a worse clone of penals?

Guards have "Elite" PTRS that are much better than Penal PTRS when it comes to AI if I remember correctly. But I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near Mosin damage. It's an interesting idea but it really gives you no reason not to spam guards when they are already pretty good out the gate at AI since the LMG is usually an instant upgrade.
20 Feb 2020, 22:33 PM

Guards are fine.
20 Feb 2020, 22:43 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Guards have "Elite" PTRS that are much better than Penal PTRS when it comes to AI if I remember correctly. But I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near Mosin damage. It's an interesting idea but it really gives you no reason not to spam guards when they are already pretty good out the gate at AI since the LMG is usually an instant upgrade.

Pretty much. Guards PTRS have way higher accuracy, which gives them a fair chance to hit infantry models while AT performance is basically unchanged compared to normal PTRS.

I'm not sure where OP is going. If I understand it correctly he wants better AI on Guards "to bring them in line with shock troops"?
I think this is a bad idea. SOV already have shocks as elite AI infantry, why make another squad like that? Guards are a hybrid to push you through the early-mid game and can fight off even a Luchs. They save you from buying an AT gun. They even have decent stationary DPS when upgraded. Of course it's not the very top of AI performances, but it's not meant and designed that way, and their current design also works well. They have a decent nade and a semi-snare. They're alright.
20 Feb 2020, 23:12 PM

I was curious about this so I did some cheat mod 2v2 duels i.e. 2 ptrs vs 2 mosins.

Out of 10 duels PTRS squad won 7 of them. I did 5 at close range, and 5 at long range. PTRS won 3 out of the close range, and 4 out of the long range.

As far as I'm concerned the PTRS is at least equivalent, but likely stronger than the mosin. The PTRS doesn't fire on the move so there's a downside there, but neither do DPs.
20 Feb 2020, 23:27 PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Guards are one of the few definitively well balanced elite infantry in this game
21 Feb 2020, 01:45 AM

I really prefer guards being better than shocks, the former at least have a long range and defensive profile. Shocks are utterly annoying but can push like no other squad and thas useful
21 Feb 2020, 01:54 AM

Would be fun just for the sake of variety but I think it's better to just keep them as is
21 Feb 2020, 02:23 AM

They are fine early on, I guess you want something that can beat falls/pgrens. Though I find their late game ai performance vs okw a bit lacking.
21 Feb 2020, 15:05 PM

Sovs already have enough anti infantry options.
Nobody wants more OP units.
Just use the correct counter units. Dont use Guards to counter everything.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 0

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight