Login

russian armor

The Cancer That Is Soviet Field HQ

PAGES (7)down
7 Jan 2020, 14:32 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

there is picking and counterpicking in coh2. Its the same with howitzers... dont cry about howitzer spam if nobody in your team has a doctrine with offmap strikes to destroy them.

If not, well then the person didnt think their loadout through enough or didnt pay attention to the enemy commanders in load screen. And about newer players: Im sure one mortar halftrack doc is part of the free basekit for Wehrmacht

While I agree that countering a doctrine with another doctrine is a decent enough game design, the fact that urban defense is an attempt at cheeseing your opponent out early, but still has the security of lategame with the KV-2 is rather toxic. If firestorm had a lategame callin (and no the hetzer isn't counting) then I'd say it be equally offensive.
7 Jan 2020, 14:33 PM

That only works when both doctrines are viable. Picking OKW Firestorm just to counter Soviet HQ is never gonna work because the doctrine is so vastly inferior to Urban Defence that you are never gonna win anyway unless the opponent is way worse than you. But then again OKW has basically only one or two viable doctrines anyway.

There’s other OKW doctrines:

Overwatch - Goliaths and arty
Scavenge - Call in arty
Elite Armoured - ST
Fortifications - Arty
Breakthrough - JT
7 Jan 2020, 14:43 PM

While I agree that countering a doctrine with another doctrine is a decent enough game design, the fact that urban defense is an attempt at cheeseing your opponent out early, but still has the security of lategame with the KV-2 is rather toxic. If firestorm had a lategame callin (and no the hetzer isn't counting) then I'd say it be equally offensive.

Thats a completely different topic. During the feedback phase of the commander revamp more than a year ago I pointed out multiple times that this doctrine does not need a lategame KV2
7 Jan 2020, 14:55 PM

the problem is that flamer now do no damage to buildings, u can't destroy big houses now
7 Jan 2020, 14:59 PM

KV8 would be a way better thematic fit to Urban defense than KV2 but unfortunately there’s terror and anti infantry doctrines so no reason to have a 3rd one with the Shocks&KV8 combo. Or 4th if you count shock frontline.

If I could replace the KV2 in urban defense I’d sub in the partisan network, which would be very useful as well as a thematic fit since you’re defending a city with partisans who can give you intel. This would also be a pretty hefty nerf to the doctrine so some more shifting around would have to be done.
7 Jan 2020, 15:09 PM

Thats a completely different topic. During the feedback phase of the commander revamp more than a year ago I pointed out multiple times that this doctrine does not need a lategame KV2

and me too...

7 Jan 2020, 15:35 PM

There’s other OKW doctrines:

Overwatch - Goliaths and arty
Scavenge - Call in arty
Elite Armoured - ST
Fortifications - Arty
Breakthrough - JT

I know there are other OKW doctrines. But none of them is viable in 1v1 and 2v2.

It's all about the Tiger to have a chance in late-game against current power levels of Soviets and USF (to an lesser extent).
7 Jan 2020, 16:23 PM

I think the problem was the commander runs out of steam once LEFH is on the field and we see this in every 3 v 3 and 4 v 4 games. The majority of the abilities in the old version of the commander helped early/mid game and was meh late game.
7 Jan 2020, 17:08 PM

I think the problem was the commander runs out of steam once LEFH is on the field and we see this in every 3 v 3 and 4 v 4 games. The majority of the abilities in the old version of the commander helped early/mid game and was meh late game.

which is arguably much better design. You had insanely strong early and mid game if you executed it correctly but if your opponent played smart and survives long enough you were kinda screwed.

This is better design than this "oh great I have a swiss knife commander during the whole game now" like we see on some other docs like Jaeger Armor for wehrmacht
7 Jan 2020, 17:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

which is arguably much better design. You had insanely strong early and mid game if you executed it correctly but if your opponent played smart and survives long enough you were kinda screwed.

This is better design than this "oh great I have a swiss knife commander during the whole game now" like we see on some other docs like Jaeger Armor for wehrmacht

The problem is that with that in mind, you can't really nerf it if all it is on the commander was cheese on and win in less than 20 mins.

The problem has always been stone strong buildings, not the ability per se.

Setting building on flames have never been properly addressed.
Not giving all factions flame weapons of some kind by default has just PARTIALLY been addressed.
7 Jan 2020, 17:32 PM

If you hate the FHQ that much just make sure you brought the one click counter buttons. Is that so hard?

Firesturm and any doctrine with a MHT. If you can't get your hands on either, well. Welcome to micro transactions
7 Jan 2020, 18:31 PM

The problem has always been stone strong buildings, not the ability per se.

Setting building on flames have never been properly addressed.
Not giving all factions flame weapons of some kind by default has just PARTIALLY been addressed.

This.

In general, the ability isn't all that "strong" (gameplay wise), and since most buildings come pre-damaged, or just don't have that much HP to begin with, they often aren't all that resilient, either. However, on some maps, crucial buildings are instead massive stone bunkers with absurd amounts of HP. This is fine when trying to counter the units inside, since flamers and the like still do tons of damage to the units and force the building to be neutral again; the problem is when one team can make the building itself join their team. This pretty much invalidates that part the map design, since the other players can no longer interact with that important building other than by destroying it.

Take, for example, the "train station" buildings on a bunch of medium/large maps, like Ettelbruck or Lienne. They're important aspects of the center of the map, but are essentially impossible to demolish early on.

I would suggest any of the following changes:

• Add a "neutralize" ability which takes 10-15 seconds. This resets the building.
  • Disallow FHQ'ing buildings over a certain garrison size, and/or material type.
  • Make FHQ's harder to build: Must be in territory, AND have a long "setup" time that can be cancelled/interrupted.

7 Jan 2020, 21:09 PM

If it can be neutralized in 15 seconds the price is going to have to go WAY down. Comparable cost would be getting next to a okw med truck and it dissolving. Now that the aura isn't a passive and it requires being in supply to convert I don't see it as nearly the same cheese it used to be.
7 Jan 2020, 22:36 PM

If it can be neutralized in 15 seconds the price is going to have to go WAY down. Comparable cost would be getting next to a okw med truck and it dissolving. Now that the aura isn't a passive and it requires being in supply to convert I don't see it as nearly the same cheese it used to be.

The price is already WAY down for what it is. Costing only 10- fuel more than a Wehr scout car that dies in seconds.

A decap option would be helpful but it is literally just pasting a band aid over the problem and hoping for the best without fully addressing it properly. As I said before there is no way to balance field hq other than fully removing convertible buildings completely from the game. No side for any reason should be able to claim ambient buildings for their side for the entire game. It just helps breed cancer and cheese which we as the player base want to keep far away from..
7 Jan 2020, 22:36 PM

Firstly, the 15-sec decap should be similar to repairing - i.e. the squad can't fight AND takes extra damage while doing it. Alternatively, taking damage could cancel the progress. This would pretty much prevent any kind of abuse in front-line situations, and in back-line situations, it would really be the Sov's players fault for not paying attention (similar to territory cut-offs, losing arty to stealth units, etc.).

Secondly, it's not really comparable to any of OKW's trucks. OKW trucks have to arrive to the setup location (and are super vulnerable), while the FHQ is a 1-click ability. OKW trucks have a long setup time, while the FHQ doesn't. OKW trucks can't permanently block key game-play areas such as buildings, while FHQs can. Lastly, losing an OKW truck means losing tech, access to units, and even core abilities (i.e. healing), whereas losing an FHQ doesn't really set back the Sov player at all, tech-wise.

7 Jan 2020, 22:42 PM

8 Jan 2020, 08:19 AM

In coh1 they were also dirt cheap and non doctrinal.
Up for that as well?

Well yes they was cheap but really easy so destroy the only thing that can counter tanks from it if they make an at gun

Edit they could just make them only commander

Edit 2 in COH1 they didnt have abilities other then reinforce and build units
8 Jan 2020, 08:23 AM

Well yes they was cheap but really easy so destroy the only thing that can counter tanks from it if they make an at gun

Edit they could just make them only commander

They were decappable yes, but first you had to get rid of enemy around it, which OP, as he describes, is incapable of.

FHQ could be a dog kennel made out of paper and OP still wouldn't know how to advance on whatever defending them, repeating bullshit about indirect not working.
8 Jan 2020, 11:49 AM

They were decappable yes, but first you had to get rid of enemy around it, which OP, as he describes, is incapable of.

FHQ could be a dog kennel made out of paper and OP still wouldn't know how to advance on whatever defending them, repeating bullshit about indirect not working.

Well i must say that its op when you think about it can make troops and that would be super op if that would happen. They should atleast give them to brits if anyone should have it.
9 Jan 2020, 03:19 AM

Buildings seem incredibly hard to destroy in this game. There are only a handfull of abilities in this game that will level buildings and they're all pretty late abilities.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS