Login

russian armor

Maxim Sustained Fire

11 Dec 2019, 13:31 PM

That's not an easy alternative at all.

My main issue is that Maxims need a 6 men crew for the deathloop issue and are therefor very durable, while also being available right at the start of a game (unlike the M2HB and DshK, that can have better stats to compensate for the deathloop instead because they come a lot later), while also having a faster reposition time than the other T0 HMGs, which means it can't have good stock stats because then 2-3 Maxims would quite easily shut OKW down completely on corridor or urban maps (like Red Ball Express or Lienne Forest) right from the start because OKW does not have anything in T0 that could counter it (USF had a T0 mortar added to deal with early HMG 42s for a reason) besides flanking/overwhelming with infantry, which isn't possible in corridors or against garrisons.

Besides that, there's always the risk of enabling the infamous Maxim spam again, which is something I'm sure everyone would like to avoid.

At the time, conscripts were awful, the maxim span on a dime and set up near instantly, and they capped at normal speed.

At the time, maxims cost 240. At the time, maxims were strictly better than conscripts in every way.

The context that allowed maxim spam to reign supreme is no longer the reality of 2019 CoH2. A decent maxim would do little to nothing more than what MG42 spam can do to UKF, SU or USF.
11 Dec 2019, 13:36 PM

There are ways around that. What if you increased Maxim cost to 280, doubled its build time and narrowed its cone of fire a bit? That way spamming them would be very difficult, especially at the start, and you could then improve the Maxim as a machine gun to do its job.

Maybe then it’s easier to remove Maxim? This is a rather ridiculous proposal, Make the unit more expensive and reduce the characteristics. No, Maxim should cost as much as machine guns of other factions and have similar performance for the same price.
11 Dec 2019, 13:40 PM

3 types. You forgot those that lived through it but won't let ptsd get in the way of balance. The game has changed A LOT in the last 5 years. I wish there was a mod that had all the original stats and design so we can be reminded how far the game has come. Just because the maxim used to be oppressive doesn't mean it's not underwhelming now and has room to improve. Obviously we don't want maxim spam to return but using maxim spam as justification for no improvement ever is silly.

I was talking about significant buffs, and he clearly stated that he wants the maxim suppression stats to be on the level of all the other MGs.... which would make it completely OP again
11 Dec 2019, 13:41 PM

Maybe then it’s easier to remove Maxim? This is a rather ridiculous proposal, Make the unit more expensive and reduce the characteristics. No, Maxim should cost as much as machine guns of other factions and have similar performance for the same price.

I think I'd rather make it function and balance its price and build time based on that performance (taking into account the large crew) than try and make it fit into the price point and siny not function properly as a result
11 Dec 2019, 13:43 PM

A decent maxim would do little to nothing more than what MG42 spam can do to UKF, SU or USF.

I just explained how that is not true. Soviets have the M3 flamer or the mortar available right at the start. USF has a T0 mortar. UKF has the UC Vickers to deal with HMG 42s in the open. Only UKF struggles against HMG 42s in a garrisons until they get T1 and the Wasp or the mortar pit, but "the other guys are having a bad time too" is not a reason to make things worse for OKW.

OKW on the other hand has nothing at T0 except infantry spam. On maps where they can't flank, they need either a Luchs or an LeIG to counter Maxim spam effectively (especially if Maxims would get buffed), which don't come until 4-6 minutes into the game, which would mean early Maxim spam on certain teamgames maps could push OKW off the resources quite easily and right at the start of the match.
11 Dec 2019, 13:46 PM

I was talking about significant buffs, and he clearly stated that he wants the maxim suppression stats to be on the level of all the other MGs.... which would make it completely OP again
see my previous post, I think it applies well enough. There are ways to balance the maxim even with working stats. Price and build time are factors, cap speed could also factor in. Set up time, ramping Supression, incremental stats, abilities... The list goes on.
11 Dec 2019, 13:48 PM

I think I'd rather make it function and balance its price and build time based on that performance (taking into account the large crew) than try and make it fit into the price point and siny not function properly as a result

And I think that the cost directly affects the timing in the game. Make Maxim "balanced" and for example a 300mp machine gun. I will never build it: because for a lower price other fractions will have a machine gun with similar characteristics or even better, and some also have a machine gun in T0. Build T2 + hypotical 300mp? No thanks, I'm going to T1.
11 Dec 2019, 13:50 PM

OKW on the other hand has nothing at T0 except infantry spam. On maps where they can't flank

That's not entirely true. They could walk at it, head on and throw a flame nade which will force it to retreat if not induce a death loop. Works more often than not...
11 Dec 2019, 13:53 PM

And I think that the cost directly affects the timing in the game. Make Maxim "balanced" and for example a 300mp machine gun. I will never build it: because for a lower price other fractions will have a machine gun with similar characteristics or even better, and some also have a machine gun in T0. Build T2 + hypotical 300mp? No thanks, I'm going to T1.

300mp for ~ and mg34 with a 6 man crew however might be worth while. Of course the cost of t2 is a big factor. I personally feel like cons should be a bit cheaper to make up but with the new 7 man cons later it might not be a great idea. Maybe gating a cost decrease with t2? Might be a bit convoluted
11 Dec 2019, 14:01 PM

Please leave the Maxim as it is right now! We dont need to buff the Maxim where it would completely shut down OKW early game.
11 Dec 2019, 14:14 PM

That would only make be "balanced" if countering hmgs was equally easy for all factions. It is not.
11 Dec 2019, 14:23 PM

That's not entirely true. They could walk at it, head on and throw a flame nade which will force it to retreat if not induce a death loop. Works more often than not...

excatly. and later on as the game continues two fussies with g43 touching each other can frontaly deathloop it to death from full heatlh without using nades.

The maxim is that good..... so worth 260 mp.
11 Dec 2019, 14:24 PM

That only works on Maxims that aren't properly supported. If they have another unit spotting for it so they can fire from max range, Volks get pinned before they get close enough. Or when they have max sight range when they're in a garrison. Even when not supported, Maxims will pin Volks before they get close enough, unless there was some sight blocker or light cover involved.

Only sending multiple squads at once might work if the Soviet player isn't quick enough to re-target, but usually there's a Maxim covering a Maxim, so that often leads nowhere. With 6 men durability, Maxims can usually reposition after taking a flame grenade with still 4-5 models left anyway. It's far from a guaranteed wipe or retreat.

Now imagine Maxims with buffed suppression, and even multiple squads won't be able to even get close.
11 Dec 2019, 15:19 PM

Only sending multiple squads at once might work if the Soviet player isn't quick enough to re-target, but usually there's a Maxim covering a Maxim, so that often leads nowhere. With 6 men durability, Maxims can usually reposition after taking a flame grenade with still 4-5 models left anyway. It's far from a guaranteed wipe or retreat.

If there is a maxim covering a maxim in the early game then the soviet player has forfeited map control elsewhere. You deal with a maxim covering a maxim in the same way you would deal with an mg42 covering an mg42.
11 Dec 2019, 16:03 PM

Maxims are only decent in lane style team games. In any other situation they are bad.

In 1v1 you are always better off going 4 cons or T1 instead of getting an early maxim. The T2 tech is not affordable early game and unlike T1 there is no unit in it powerful enough to reclaim the map control that you lost by getting early tech. Making the maxim even more expensive and take longer to build makes the unit useless in the 1 game mode where it is currently somewhat worth getting.

11 Dec 2019, 16:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2019, 15:19 PMSerrith
If there is a maxim covering a maxim in the early game then the soviet player has forfeited map control elsewhere.

If you read carefully, you'll see that I was talking exclusively about teamgames corridor maps, such as Red Ball Express, where there are only a handful of frontline territories to fight over and where forfeiting map control is not a thing.
11 Dec 2019, 16:31 PM

If you read carefully, you'll see that I was talking exclusively about teamgames corridor maps, such as Red Ball Express, where there are only a handful of frontline territories to fight over and where forfeiting map control is not a thing.

This was not specified in the quoted post, but even so, its not as if double MG42s doesn't give brits a hard time in a corridor either.
11 Dec 2019, 16:49 PM

The T2 tech is not affordable early game and unlike T1 there is no unit in it powerful enough to reclaim the map control that you lost by getting early tech. Making the maxim even more expensive and take longer to build makes the unit useless in the 1 game mode where it is currently somewhat worth getting.

That’s already the case. My suggestion prevents the Maxim from being spammed, but allows the balance team to make it actually do its job.
aaa
11 Dec 2019, 16:58 PM

They better adjust other mgs to the level of maxim. Not vice versa
11 Dec 2019, 16:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2019, 16:31 PMSerrith
This was not specified in the quoted post, but even so, its not as if double MG42s doesn't give brits a hard time in a corridor either.

Brits at least have the Vickers UC to contest HMG 42s out in the open. HMG 42s are easier to flank because of lower durability, slower traverse and a slower redeploy time too. But that doesn't really matter, as I've already said before, UKF with their lack of T0 indirect having trouble with early game HMG spam does not mean we should make it even harder for OKW too. This is not about "them versus us", this is about making sure we keep early game HMG spam effectiveness to a minimum.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★