Login

russian armor

USF Sherman 76 mm - Who needs it?

2 Sep 2019, 00:16 AM

- If I order a standard Sherman 75 mm, I take it against the infantry, because it has high-explosive shells.

- If I want a more armored tank and a universal tank - I take Sherman E8.

- If I want to play against panther and tigers, I take Jackson.

- If I see Ferdinand or Jagdtiger on the battlefield, I prepare myself for defeat.

The question is, why do we need a Sherman 76mm? Moreover, it is a doctrine. Does it have more armor and health compared to a standard Sherman? - not. The difference in gun penetration is very slight. Why do I need it if I can take Jackson?

The role of this tank is very ambiguous. And it is still honorably in doctrine.

More and more convinced that the design of the USF faction, and the design of the commanders is some kind of joke.
ddd
2 Sep 2019, 00:44 AM

76 was first designed as a medium tank without tech requirement for soviets. As such it didnt need to be very good, no tech was enough. Then they bound it to tech and it was pretty clear this tank sucks. And THEN they added it to the reworked mechanized company and now we pretend its a good unit.
2 Sep 2019, 01:29 AM

The higher pen still doesn't enable it to compete with real tanks since it still has no armor and 640 hp. It's never worth the fuel premium over the standard Sherman.
2 Sep 2019, 01:55 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

HE sherman = godlike for price

Jackson = godlike for price

EZ8 = pretty damn amazing for price

Sherman 76 = actually pretty decent for price

Yeah! so why isn't my Sherman 76 godlike like all my other USF vehicles! It needs to be godlike!

That's literally what I'm reading.
2 Sep 2019, 06:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2019, 00:44 AMddd
76 was first designed as a medium tank without tech requirement for soviets. As such it didnt need to be very good, no tech was enough. Then they bound it to tech and it was pretty clear this tank sucks. And THEN they added it to the reworked mechanized company and now we pretend its a good unit.

But the balance team is not so concerned about the USF faction. They carefully monitor the popularity of such units as the StuG, Ostwind, and kubel.
ddd
2 Sep 2019, 08:00 AM

Look at poster above you listing every single usf unit as "godlike". Thats probably what balance team thinks too. They are not concerned about usf having terrible results in tournaments or being meme faction among team players. 76 and easy8 will suck and it seems pershing will join them soon.
2 Sep 2019, 08:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2019, 08:00 AMddd
Look at poster above you listing every single usf unit as "godlike". Thats probably what balance team thinks too. They are not concerned about usf having terrible results in tournaments or being meme faction among team players. 76 and easy8 will suck and it seems pershing will join them soon.

Recently, I played a lot of the USA and in my experience I can say for sure: 75-mm Sherman is the best
non doc medium tank of the Allies in terms of efficiency / ability to price ratio.
2 Sep 2019, 08:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2019, 00:16 AMRiley
The question is, why do we need a Sherman 76mm? Moreover, it is a doctrine. Does it have more armor and health compared to a standard Sherman? - not. The difference in gun penetration is very slight. Why do I need it if I can take Jackson?

The 76mm is a 75mm that swaps the 75mm's incredible HE rounds for HVAP rounds. HVAP rounds have a penetration of 220/180/165, which is on par with a Jagdpanzer IV. A pair of 76mms can take down a Panther, a boast the 75mm can't make.

The 76mm is a good tank, and definitely worth picking up with you're playing Soviet Lend Lease.

But if you're playing Mechanized? Not so much.

As a generalist, it faces stiff competition from the Dozer upgrade (which gives the Sherman 75 the durability stats of an Easy Eight) and as dedicated AT it's outclassed by the Jackson.

I think you'd see more of it if you moved the Bulldozer upgrade to another commander. Reserve Armour has a weird antisynergy with itself.
2 Sep 2019, 09:59 AM

Last thing it does is suck. Its issue is that its half way between jackson and 75, holding some qualities if the 2 without being too amazing at them (you cant have both). It is meant to be versatile medium eith slightly better performance vs armour. I personally quite like it, its decent when im not sure can i capitalize 75 against infantry before seeing okw p4 or panther.
2 Sep 2019, 11:31 AM

Try a vetted Sherman 76mm with radio net bonuses. The unit is borderline broken.

The issue has nothing to do with unit itself and its cost efficiency but with USF faction design.
Units like the Easy8, 76mm and after the patch 105mm are destined to see little action not because they are not cost efficient but because their more cost efficient options.

2 Sep 2019, 12:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2019, 11:31 AMVipper
Try a vetted Sherman 76mm with radio net bonuses. The unit is borderline broken.

The issue has nothing to do with unit itself and its cost efficiency but with USF faction design.
Units like the Easy8, 76mm and after the patch 105mm are destined to see little action not because they are not cost efficient but because their more cost efficient options.

Sherman 75 mm and E8 also have radio net bonuses. Why i need chose the special doctrine for Sherman 76 mm?
2 Sep 2019, 12:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2019, 12:16 PMRiley

Sherman 75 mm and E8 also have radio net bonuses. Why i need chose the special doctrine for Sherman 76 mm?

Because 76mm has broken vet bonuses. The 76mm's ROF with vet bonuses and radio net is broken.
2 Sep 2019, 21:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2019, 00:16 AMRiley
- If I order a standard Sherman 75 mm, I take it against the infantry, because it has high-explosive shells.

- If I want a more armored tank and a universal tank - I take Sherman E8.

- If I want to play against panther and tigers, I take Jackson.

- If I see Ferdinand or Jagdtiger on the battlefield, I prepare myself for defeat.

The role of this tank is very ambiguous. And it is still honorably in doctrine.

More and more convinced that the design of the USF faction, and the design of the commanders is some kind of joke.

LOL I'm no Axis fanboy but a Ferdinand or Jagtigers is incredibly easy to flank and kill with any Sherman variant playing 1v1.

The Sherman 76 for USF is pretty good because its in a really good doctrine and its a reasonably priced vehicle that can go toe to toe pretty well against either model of Panzer IV.
2 Sep 2019, 22:55 PM

Yeah! so why isn't my Sherman 76 godlike like all my other USF vehicles! It needs to be godlike!

It’s pretty fuckin godlike to me

1.5 second faster reload that allows it to win 1v1s with all other mediums & gets better with radio net? 33% better moving accuracy for chasing enemy tanks? With 3 MGs and main gun AOE to kill infantry? With smoke to cover retreat?

Idk what you’re complaining about it’s amazing

Although the Sherman dozer is better because the dozer combos better with a Jackson than the 76 does, and the dozer has HE shells.
2 Sep 2019, 22:58 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

It’s pretty fuckin godlike to me

1.5 second faster reload that allows it to win 1v1s with all other mediums & gets better with radio net? 33% better moving accuracy for chasing enemy tanks? With 3 MGs and main gun AOE to kill infantry? With smoke to cover retreat?

Idk what you’re complaining about it’s amazing

It's sarcasm. Often hard to tell through text so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know its good, it just gets outshined most of the time.
2 Sep 2019, 22:59 PM

It's sarcasm. Often hard to tell through text so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know its good, it just gets outshined most of the time.

Ah. When I’m sarcastic I’m like

PleAsE NerF cOmeT sO Op
3 Sep 2019, 01:51 AM

HVAP shells on the 76 are pretty great. Allows it reliably engage with okw p4, something m4a3 can struggle with
3 Sep 2019, 03:18 AM

Against OST I would agree it's totally pointless, especially now that Panzershrek spam is in style, but versus OKW it can be somewhat more efficient than getting a M36, since it can still perform reasonably well versus infantry with its MGs and will perform better versus armor. The AP shells aren't terrible versus infantry either, though the special shells are for sure.

So with the AP shells, use it like you would a beefier T-34/76, and with the HVAP use it like a slower and far less durable Panther.

Basically a more cautious approach to USF armor.
3 Sep 2019, 06:03 AM

i guess u are not very satisfied with modteam work

True is for teamgames only Jackson is viable because Axis spam panters i dont remember my last time when i use sherman but yeah for you i know its Simple jackson need to be trash then people will make shermans 76 or e8 wow genius
Dont buff cons just nerf penals
ddd
3 Sep 2019, 08:00 AM

Yeah just nerf panzer grenadiers instead of buffing grens. 4Head balancing by axis bois.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 72
unknown 16
unknown 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak