Login

russian armor

Port of hamburg

6 Jun 2019, 20:55 PM

The team with most mortars win, prove me wrong.
6 Jun 2019, 22:05 PM
Donator 11

Thats not rly constructive.
The map has a fair amount of faults if we had an honest discussion.
The hard shot blockers (concrete walls/shipping containers), narrow lanes, and open areas with little routs for flanking lends this map to Mortar and heavy MG play.

Outside of this the river section that divides the map on both sides make it hard to push without a significant numbers advantage (that goes for both axis and allies).
6 Jun 2019, 22:07 PM

Maps like Hamburg and Ettelbruck station are very poorly designed in my personal opinion... but somehow they are also pretty popular (veto-rate is not high) so I guess we will never see those removed :guyokay:
6 Jun 2019, 22:15 PM

Maps like Hamburg and Ettelbruck station are very poorly designed in my personal opinion... but somehow they are also pretty popular (veto-rate is not high) so I guess we will never see those removed :guyokay:

I have no idea why Hamburg needs to have those canals that throw any flanking possibilities out the window. The routes and the space is there, but there's nowhere to cross. I guess the lower ranked players just like to sit at a bridge/chokepoint or throw units at it. Perhaps it's The Scheldt syndrome.
6 Jun 2019, 22:21 PM

I have no idea why Hamburg needs to have those canals that throw any flanking possibilities out the window. The routes and the space is there, but there's nowhere to cross. I guess the lower ranked players just like to sit at a bridge/chokepoint or throw units at it. Perhaps it's The Scheldt syndrome.

Yup I agree but why are such maps in automatch? Imagine the riot if they would have added scheldt to coh1 automatch :rofl: Map diversity is a good thing but these scheldt style maps just dont belong into ranked automatch.

Hamburg would be so much better if all these stupid chokepoints would be gone. And I guess ettelbruck is just lost beyond a possible save, this map is just straight dumb in its entire concept. It's small, narrow, campstyle and, to top it all off, clusterfuck style due to narrow roads, houses and tiny paths
6 Jun 2019, 22:25 PM

- Move top center canal to the left (keep the map's aesthetics)
- Fill up top center canal so the fuel/VP can be attacked from all sides and to open up a flanking route all the way up north
- Fill up the lower right canal so the middle and lower right halfs of the map are actually connected
- Open up some space in the factory at the very bottom to upen up an additional flanking route for vehicles
- bottom and top fuel/VP can now actually be contested from multiple sides by mobile forces rather than being a chokepoint lane that promotes camping and mortar/arty spam

This would make the map not perfect, but 10x better than what it is at the moment imo.
6 Jun 2019, 22:26 PM

This would make the map not perfect, but 10x better than what it is at the moment imo.

+1
6 Jun 2019, 23:07 PM
Senior Editor Badge

6 Jun 2019, 23:47 PM

I love this map :) It is also the most popular 4v4 map at the moment I believe.

Just a reminder the middle above the VP was opened up a while ago with Capiquas version (which was great). And last patch the center bridge was hardened and a foot bridge was added to aid flanking.

Personally I like making big changes to a map. But in this case I dont know if that is the right move. This is a favorite for many players.

I would rather see some new 4v4 maps added. Relic announced one in the works. Maybe we can talk them into adding a couple others :)
7 Jun 2019, 00:40 AM

Personally I like making big changes to a map. But in this case I dont know if that is the right move. This is a favorite for many players.

Would you mind making a quick WIP version that fills up the canals next to the top and bottom victory points and fuels? I think that'd make the map much, much better to play and I'd love to try it out.
7 Jun 2019, 05:06 AM

Would you mind making a quick WIP version that fills up the canals next to the top and bottom victory points and fuels? I think that'd make the map much, much better to play and I'd love to try it out.

I will give it a try.

Take a look at Capiquas version also. I know he made several versions.

STEAM
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796850717

You can check all of his maps here:
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007538824/myworkshopfiles/?appid=231430&p=1

Maps like Hamburg, Redball, etc are the very popular because you get a lot of man fighting right away and you can play defensively with MGs etc. So if we make it wide open it will lose that charm. And then it becomes a blobfest. Like Steppes 3v3 :sibToxic:
7 Jun 2019, 05:50 AM

I love this map :) It is also the most popular 4v4 map at the moment I believe.

Just a reminder the middle above the VP was opened up a while ago with Capiquas version (which was great). And last patch the center bridge was hardened and a foot bridge was added to aid flanking.

I would rather see some new 4v4 maps added. Relic announced one in the works. Maybe we can talk them into adding a couple others :)
+
7 Jun 2019, 06:19 AM

People like such a map, because on it you can make a reliable front line, instead of having many holes like on other maps. And I personally like this card and I do not find any problems for me to play from any side.
7 Jun 2019, 06:53 AM

Vetoed it long ago, it's super axis favored in all stages of the game.
Cant really flank dedicated MG42 spammers due to chokepoint design of the map which leads to mortar spam which favors in-your-face OKW trucks that reinforce leigs/mortars.
In late game once elefant/JT are out you cant realistically take north or mid as flanking isnt possible
Even Red Ball is better than this as you can use lanes you have control of to flank enemy
7 Jun 2019, 06:57 AM

I have it all done. I just need to make a minimap somehow. I will post it late today for you :)
7 Jun 2019, 08:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2019, 06:53 AMKirrik
Vetoed it long ago, it's super axis favored in all stages of the game.
Cant really flank dedicated MG42 spammers due to chokepoint design of the map which leads to mortar spam which favors in-your-face OKW trucks that reinforce leigs/mortars.
In late game once elefant/JT are out you cant realistically take north or mid as flanking isnt possible
Even Red Ball is better than this as you can use lanes you have control of to flank enemy

Invest in more artillery.

No, more.

Even more.

More than that.

Keep going.

Ele / JT don't do anything if all the infantry is a fine red mist.

It's always a duel of artillery, and IMO allies have a slight advantage there. But it is super restrictive for commanders. You NEED heavy artillery. Ideally a few mortar halftracks (one usf player can supply everyone). A recon + offmap combo to remove fixed guns.
7 Jun 2019, 11:10 AM

Invest in more artillery.

No, more.

Even more.

More than that.

Keep going.

Ele / JT don't do anything if all the infantry is a fine red mist.

It's always a duel of artillery, and IMO allies have a slight advantage there. But it is super restrictive for commanders. You NEED heavy artillery. Ideally a few mortar halftracks (one usf player can supply everyone). A recon + offmap combo to remove fixed guns.

And axis players cant invest in Stukas and Werfers LeFHs?, right? Because only allies have acess to artillery.
7 Jun 2019, 11:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2019, 11:10 AMKirrik

And axis players cant invest in Stukas and Werfers LeFHs?, right? Because only allies have acess to artillery.

They absolutely can.

I said I believe the allies have a slight advantage in the arty game and I stand by that.
7 Jun 2019, 11:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2019, 11:10 AMKirrik

Continuous howitzer fire into chokepoints is usually more effective than a rocket barrage every now and then. Stukas and PWerfers will die to single random howitzer shots. LeFHs will get killed by the motorized howitzers or offmaps. In turn, Stukas/PWerfers/LeFH have very little chance to kill a motorized howitzer and motorized howitzers have a good chance to survive or evade offmaps.

On top of that USF mortar halftrack is much better than the Ostheer mortar halftrack.

So while yes, the Axis have good artillery too, SeductiveCardbordBox is right that the Allies do have an advantage. Assuming the cost difference is negligible with the resource inflation 4v4s usually have.
7 Jun 2019, 11:52 AM

Continuous howitzer fire into chokepoints is usually more effective than a rocket barrage every now and then. Stukas and PWerfers will die to single random howitzer shots. LeFHs will get killed by the motorized howitzers or offmaps. In turn, Stukas/PWerfers/LeFH have very little chance to kill a motorized howitzer and motorized howitzers have a good chance to survive or evade offmaps.

On top of that USF mortar halftrack is much better than the Ostheer mortar halftrack.

So while yes, the Axis have good artillery too, SeductiveCardbordBox is right that the Allies do have an advantage. Assuming the cost difference is negligible with the resource inflation 4v4s usually have.

And that rises the question why the USF MHT was buffed recently.

USF mortar is slightly weaker than Ostheer, Pack howitzer is very good.
Why should USF in addition have superior doctrinal options, especially since USF have superior infatry.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★