Login

russian armor

Overwatch flare ability

18 Feb 2019, 12:27 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any particular reasons for this ability to be entirely free
  • free from any setup time
  • free from any resource cost

I can understand why something like sandbags are free as they require some time to install but I fail to find a logical reason for the Overwatch flares and huge vision provided by them every time you enter a flag circle to cost nothing.
Yes because it is not even only about capping, sometime you just want to reach a point being enemy lines and you trigger the flare because a model walks into the circle.
It also happen that you trigger the flare, walk outside and then walk again inside and re-trigger the flare that is installed automatically (magically) again. I had a situation when I was uncapping a point and my opponent probably pickup Overwatch at that time and the flare setup while the point was already neutral (but maybe it is a bug or already been corrected, it was some weeks ago).

I any way Intelligence is important in the game and I don't see any reason to have this ability providing a lot of vision does not require at least micro and time to be setup as for sandbags. This should be at least the minimum even if I personally think that this ability should also have a munition fee. I'm maybe wrong but I can't see any other free vision ability given from commanders. Or it cost munition like other kind of flares or plane loiters/run or it cost to call a unit on the field with increase range sigh.
18 Feb 2019, 12:32 PM

Im in for removing/replacing every flare ability. Just sucks to have un-counterable vision over your units.
18 Feb 2019, 13:13 PM

or it should be something like 59 muni plantable instead of just doing thing you are supposed to do called cap.
18 Feb 2019, 14:06 PM

or it should be something like 59 muni plantable instead of just doing thing you are supposed to do called cap.

59 monkaS
18 Feb 2019, 14:19 PM

You could ditch it at this point: Jaegers provide sight. You wouldn't even need to refill the ability slot given its bundled with the Goliath.
18 Feb 2019, 14:32 PM

Overwatch flares can easily be countered by minesweepers plus its been like this every since the commander release and now after revamp players now notice and make a comment about it even though the only change it has been was being bundled with the goliath.
18 Feb 2019, 14:32 PM

The ability could have a cooldown.
18 Feb 2019, 15:12 PM

The best way in my opinion is to give infantrie the ability to lay down the trap, like tripwire flare from conscripts. For free or maybe 5 mun
18 Feb 2019, 15:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Because at the moment that the ability was introduced, utility/intelligence tools were far too low in the power scale of the game.

This used to be the main selling point of the commander. Free vision.

If you ask me how would i change it, it would cost 5 muni and it would work like booby trap from the Soviet commanders. Select an owned territory to put a flare on it.
18 Feb 2019, 15:22 PM

Did you all forget the FREE Recon Run the brits had for 2 years?
18 Feb 2019, 15:52 PM

We didn't, but that doesn't mean OKW need free recon.
18 Feb 2019, 15:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2019, 15:52 PMKharn
We didn't, but that doesn't mean OKW need free recon.
they are very different 1 was free permanent

the other only works 1 time on capped territory
ddd
18 Feb 2019, 16:39 PM

Overwatch flares can easily be countered by minesweepers plus its been like this every since the commander release and now after revamp players now notice and make a comment about it even though the only change it has been was being bundled with the goliath.

Yeah lets just forget that this commander also got overpowered Jaegers and busted Stuka loiter. Oh and how nice of balance team to bundle 3 abilities into one slot (forward receivers, goliath, flares). Totally not biased btw.
18 Feb 2019, 16:41 PM

I've been quietly complaining about it for a long time now.

It's not a hard fix. Make it the same type of triggered ability than the Soviet booby trap used to be. 10 munitions, click on a point, it arms over a couple of seconds.

It now requires micro to use and sweeping them pays a small dividend.
18 Feb 2019, 17:39 PM

Did you all forget the FREE Recon Run the brits had for 2 years?
o shiet i remember that so what we do now? I got it guys just replace flares with legalhack ir halftruck and we gut
18 Feb 2019, 17:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2019, 16:39 PMddd

Yeah lets just forget that this commander also got overpowered Jaegers and busted Stuka loiter. Oh and how nice of balance team to bundle 3 abilities into one slot (forward receivers, goliath, flares). Totally not biased btw.

Don't forget the Howitzer that is safely covered by the retreat point and the flak.
18 Feb 2019, 17:47 PM

they are very different 1 was free permanent

the other only works 1 time on capped territory

As I said, trigger the flare, walk out of the circle, come back and the flare is triggered a new time.

18 Feb 2019, 18:40 PM

I definitely wouldn't want them to be have to be build by Engineers- it's simply too micro taxing and would never be used. I suppose another option would be to change them into a version of Anvil's Early Warning where points just have a larger LOS.
18 Feb 2019, 18:43 PM

I definitely wouldn't want them to be have to be build by Engineers- it's simply too micro taxing and would never be used. I suppose another option would be to change them into a version of Anvil's Early Warning where points just have a larger LOS.

We already have an engineer-less point-embellishment.

The Soviet booby trap is right there in the game files and should be an easy swap for a flare. Click on commander ability like a call in, pay muni, click on point, watch it arm.
18 Feb 2019, 19:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2019, 17:47 PMEsxile

As I said, trigger the flare, walk out of the circle, come back and the flare is triggered a new time.

add a longer CD for the flares ?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS