Login

russian armor

Another Axis Faction?

10 Jan 2019, 07:44 AM

I am sorry if this has been discussed before, I wasn't able to find anything on it.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on how others felt about this.

I generally find that from 3v3 upwards games can become quite unbalanced if you have all 3 Allied factions and only 1/2 Axis factions.

Firstly I believe there aren't enough OKW players, including myself. And secondly there's only so much variation you can get from commander choices for Ostheer.

Maybe another Axis faction might add a little more variety to the Axis side? Just my 2 cents.

:)
10 Jan 2019, 08:05 AM

Dream on.

At least I tried to make it real.
10 Jan 2019, 08:05 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Hey! At this stage in the game it's probably unlikely. But among the people I interact with, there's a potential for a variety of factions in the next CoH... which is based on some surveys that Relic sent out to coh2 players sometime in the last 18-30 months which was focused, I think, on a potential Mediterranean theater.

Also, Relic is working on Age of Empires 4, too, so they definitely have their hands full!
10 Jan 2019, 08:53 AM

a potential Mediterranean theater.

If it's either North Africa or Italy (or Both) I guess it would be Germany/Italy vs Britain/USA? I wonder how they would approach Italian design. I guess if they focus on early war stuff, which also opens possibility of a French faction.

However, "early war stuff" is really weird already in Coh2, where supposedly USSR is using early stuff with commanders unlocking later improved tech, while Wehrmacht gets MG42, Stg44, PIV Ausf G and Panther which is quite far from early war stuff.
10 Jan 2019, 10:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2019, 08:53 AMWiking

If it's either North Africa or Italy (or Both) I guess it would be Germany/Italy vs Britain/USA? I wonder how they would approach Italian design. I guess if they focus on early war stuff, which also opens possibility of a French faction.

However, "early war stuff" is really weird already in Coh2, where supposedly USSR is using early stuff with commanders unlocking later improved tech, while Wehrmacht gets MG42, Stg44, PIV Ausf G and Panther which is quite far from early war stuff.

Both independent french and Italian factions seem extremely unlikely. But I could imagine some auxiliary doctrinal choices of units, armor and support abilities with a French, Italian or Polish input.
10 Jan 2019, 10:56 AM

Alternatively we could remake the Panzer Elite.
10 Jan 2019, 15:04 PM

The Italian army would not offer enough for an independent faction but could offer very interesting supplement stuff to a mixed german / italian faction = Panzergruppe Afrika
Keep also in mind that only 4 german divisions fought at and on the way to El Alamein but 190 divisions were deployed at the eastern front. That would mean for me that the majority of infantry should be from the italian army, tanks like the Fiant M13/40 and the Semovente 75/18 were at least for some periods valuable. The italian para divison "Folgore" fought exceptionally well and could also offer at least enough ideas for an own commander.
I would like to see the mixed german-italian faction which would concentrate on mobility and early war stuff (early / midgame dominant)and the other axis faction (Heeresgruppe Süd) should have more mid/late war equipment.

10 Jan 2019, 15:40 PM

Small copy-paste with changes. Hungary would be a perfect 3rd faction. These are not successive Germans, but there are many things that people love.
- armored car: 39M Csába

- light tanks: 38M Toldi, can get anti-tank missiles.

- medium tanks: 40M Turán I / II
from 74 to 84 PzKpfw IV Ausf.F1, Ausf.F2, Ausf.H and Ausf.J
captured T-34-76

- self-propelled guns: Marder II
43.M Zríni
Hetzer, Hungary received 75 Hetzer.

- Anti-aircraft tank: 40M Nimród

- Armored personnel carrier: 43M Lehel, used as an ambulance.

- Heavy Tank: Tiger, Hungary received 13 Tiger tank.
German King Tiger support.

The Hungarians had 44M grenade launchers and anti-tank missiles.

- Artillery:80mm Bofors / MAVAG 29M anti-aircraft gun
150mm howitzer 31M
leFH 18
Sorozatveto 43.М - licensed copy of Nebelwerfer
10 Jan 2019, 16:03 PM

I thought I was accidentally reading an old thread when you said "there aren't enough OKW players".

I feel like I see OKW 3x as often as Wehrmacht when I play, to the point that I've actually switched to playing Wehrmacht.

As to topic, I'd be genuinely into getting more armies for each side but I can't imagine it going through.
10 Jan 2019, 16:05 PM

Alternatively we could remake the Panzer Elite.

But OKW feels so similar to Panzer Elite, good infantry, interesting light vehicles and limited number of late armors.
10 Jan 2019, 16:06 PM

I don't think there will be another faction/army added by relic.

The only hope there is, is relic releasing full mod tools.
10 Jan 2019, 18:21 PM

In COH3, I would rather see Japan than useless Italy lol.
10 Jan 2019, 18:49 PM

I want french. They just surrender their base at game minute 5 and transfer their sectors to axis.
Then then they can call in La Resistance squads, run around in axis HQ sectors and blow stuff up.
10 Jan 2019, 19:20 PM

But OKW feels so similar to Panzer Elite, good infantry, interesting light vehicles and limited number of late armors.

It is the laziest and easiest option for a 3rd Axis Army tho right now.
10 Jan 2019, 19:55 PM

They shouldnt make a complete country as a faction. There is nothing wrong with seperate factions per country like "Russian Armored Army", "Russian Paratrooper Army"
10 Jan 2019, 20:24 PM

They shouldnt make a complete country as a faction. There is nothing wrong with seperate factions per country like "Russian Armored Army", "Russian Paratrooper Army"

I think splitting is reasonable. For the USSR, you can make at least 2 more factions:
- Guards Army in Europe, there are still many Soviet tanks that are not yet involved in the game:motorcycle with mortar or DP-27, GAZ-AAA with 25 anti-aircraft gun, BA-64,T-37/38/40/41 amphibious tanks (used by paratroopers), T-60, T-80, T-34-57 (43), T-34-76 with additional armor, T-34-85 with mesh screens, SU-76I, SG-122, SU-122, KV-85, IS-1, ISU-122, SU-100.
many infantry units that have not yet been used: paratroopers, marines, scouts.
- Trans-Baikal group of troops, mix pre-war and modern equipment and tanks

But there is about the "Russian paratroopers" - I thought it would be cool if you take this commander, the engineers and conscripts skins are replaced with different skins of paratroopers. I read the memoirs of the Soviet engineer paratroopers - they could do everything that infantry engineers did and Soviet paratroopers also had flamethrowers.
10 Jan 2019, 20:28 PM

and whose going to successfully balance all this? not relic
10 Jan 2019, 22:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2019, 20:28 PMBaba
and whose going to successfully balance all this? not relic

Whose going to code, develop, model, etc. all this? Not Relic.

They are already too busy with AoE4
10 Jan 2019, 23:57 PM

they better make sure to get it right ^^
11 Jan 2019, 00:34 AM

They should add mexican forces
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %