I personally think the KT's general performance right now is pretty balanced, but it gets countered too easily by the much cheaper tank destroyers. One of the biggest problems is that tank destroyers can just kite it at max range, leaving the KT completely helpless because of its lesser range and slow speed.
Instead of buffing its damage output (potentially increasing the wiping potential again) there are two options readily available. The first would be to buff its armor, giving it much better protection against tank destroyers at max range. This would however create similar problems as before when the KT was invulnerable at range and would even bounce a lot at close range.
Therefore I would propose another solution: giving it smoke launchers as a standard ability. It could be similar to the Wehrmacht's doctrinal smoke launchers, although a bigger cloud wouldn't hurt because of its slow speed. A smoke screen would allow the KT to retreat in situations it would otherwise get eaten alive by TDs. Yet with the attack attack ground mechanics, it would still be somewhat counterable for the Allies.
Also lowering its vet requirement wouldn't hurt because it can barely get past vet2-3 because it arrives so late.
What do you guys think?
Several different proposals:
- add smoke launchers ability to increase survivability
- decrease veterancy requirements because it arrives so late it generally can't get past vet2-3.
Other reasonable proposals suggested by others:
- increase damage output consistancy similar to the recent Brumbar changes. Better accuracy/scatter for the main gun but the aeo damage being spread out over a larger area. This would decrease full squad wiping potential and instead deal consistant health and model damage to infantry.
- decrease far range penetration of AT guns and TDs now that the Panther's armor has been nerfed in the recent patch. This would increase the KT's frontal protection at long range and leave it less vulnerable/helpless against max range kiting TDs. (Simply increasing the KT's armor could cause problems for all AT weapons chance to penetrate?)
- add heavy tank trait to KT (and all other heavies) that snares to the front armor can not do engine criticals. Only rear armor hit snares would have a chance to do engine critical.
- keep performance the same but decrease the cost and popcap to make it more accessable.
- move Spearhead ability to vet 1