Login

russian armor

Strongest Faction?

8 Jun 2018, 11:30 AM

If two players have exactly the same skill level then what?

As I literally just said, it's entirely dependent on what that equal skill level is.

You see a lot more Ostheer now than OKW at higher levels, indicating Ostheer is generally considered the stronger pick by the players that are best at the game.

With some 1v1 map OKW will capture 80% of the map before CP3 when soviets can bring Ppsh. Soviet MG just cannot stop Volks and Strums. Sniper is too costly and risky. CP only advances if there is a fight or upgrade. So necessarily some conscripts have to be sacrificed and it makes the OKW units veteran quicker. Then it becomes even more harder to fight back a veteran Volks or Strum.

Again, only true at lower levels. By Rank 400 you've got competent sniper micro and once you get to the top ranks sniper use becomes so good it can decide entire matches. The Maxim has a fast setup time which makes it quite strong offensively but its smaller arc demands a higher level of micro to use effectively. Maxim spam was a viable strategy before SBP revived OKW Mechanized tier. Conscripts beat both Volksgrenadiers and Sturmpioneers early on if they have the favourable position and vice versa.
8 Jun 2018, 13:50 PM

Matchups For example:
In 2v2 Brits can stomp OKW. Infantry is similar situationally and has MGs and UCs and then AEC. Raketens suck balls and need to be removed from the game.

Brits "can" stomp OKW. Just like any other faction "can" stomp every other faction.

If Brits go MG and UC vs OKW they have zero capping power. AEC delays real tanks a lot and should generally only be used to counter LV play. Raketenwerfer is actually my favourite AT-gun. Make two, use them together to ambush tanks. Cheesy but effective. OKW can just spam units early game and outcap Brits. Brits suck at holding down 2-3 key positions due to their lack of unit quantity. Then you can also just go heavy into Mech and get Luchs + Puma. Brits are weak vs any sort of good vehicle play while you can just snare AEC if it chases you. Or you go straight for double Obersoldaten + P4, this is especially effective if UKF player went AEC before you build a LV. You will get your P4 way earlier than he can get a Cromwell.

Brits are still strong vs OKW in team games but I feel like it´s a pretty balanced, fair match-up now. Unlike in the past, UKF used to just rape OKW on most maps.
8 Jun 2018, 13:54 PM

ok so 8 rank 1000+ axis-only players voted for brits already, noice :)
8 Jun 2018, 15:31 PM

ok so 8 rank 1000+ axis-only players voted for brits already, noice :)

Nope :) but 18 idiots voted okw (not surprising considering there is only 2 axis factions to 3 allies) Usf isn't the worst faction either way...

8 Jun 2018, 15:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2018, 11:30 AMLago

Again, only true at lower levels. By Rank 400 you've got competent sniper micro and once you get to the top ranks sniper use becomes so good it can decide entire matches. The Maxim has a fast setup time which makes it quite strong offensively but its smaller arc demands a higher level of micro to use effectively. Maxim spam was a viable strategy before SBP revived OKW Mechanized tier. Conscripts beat both Volksgrenadiers and Sturmpioneers early on if they have the favourable position and vice versa.

Sniper is risky. If you have a small 1v1 dark map then sniper could easily get killed and its basically game over then. Sometimes one shot is enough to kill a sniper. Soviet player shouldn't have to come back in the game with a better skill. Here it should be considered that both player has exactly the same skill.

Maxim sometimes suppresses quickly but sometimes doesn't do anything if two or more units come. Then you have no option but to retreat it.

When you consider Conscripts vs Volks or Strums, you have to talk about situations when both are in equal positions. Of course favorable positions have advantages, but that is true for OKW player as well. Then what about the situation when Volks and Strums have got into favorable position? It will make OKW player even stronger. When discussing faction strength you have to assume every condition like position/cover is equal.
8 Jun 2018, 15:40 PM

Raketens suck balls and need to be removed from the game.

Rakettens are high risk high reward units, use a pair of them and put them in unexpected locations and they become extremely effective at ambushing tanks. Of course this does make them vulnerable to get stumbled upon by infantry or getting killed while retreating from a forward position. They don't really work like regular AT guns but they can still be very effective in their own way.
8 Jun 2018, 15:49 PM

You just have look at faction representation in the top level metagame. Thanks to a certain purple-hued tournament the SBP meta is being solved very quickly. OST and SOV are by far the most common picks amongst top players trying their utmost to win.

The balance is in a pretty good state so USF and OKW aren't that far behind and even UKF has its moments. But OST and SOV are emerging as the go-to factions for GCS2.
8 Jun 2018, 15:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2018, 15:31 PMCon!

Nope :) but 18 idiots voted okw (not surprising considering there is only 2 axis factions to 3 allies) Usf isn't the worst faction either way...

That's probably because its true in 2v2.

Dual OKW can steamroll you early game and overpower late game due to fuel advantage.
8 Jun 2018, 15:57 PM

Dual OKW can steamroll you early game and overpower late game due to fuel advantage.

Dont like dual OKW as much as Ost/ OKW, since if you can communicate with a non mentally retarded team mate the Ost guy can just be on lock down duties.

OKW can get Puma out, freeing Ost for a non mobile defence doctrine as well.
8 Jun 2018, 16:02 PM

Could you please tell me how dual OKW is supposed to get fuel advantage without having cachees(without you completely losing in early game)?
8 Jun 2018, 16:06 PM

Could you please tell me how dual OKW is supposed to get fuel advantage without having cachees(without you completely losing in early game)?

Think his idea is "OKW OP CAN DOMINATE EARLY GAME FOR FUEL" ))))
8 Jun 2018, 16:19 PM

Rakettens are high risk high reward units, use a pair of them and put them in unexpected locations and they become extremely effective at ambushing tanks. Of course this does make them vulnerable to get stumbled upon by infantry or getting killed while retreating from a forward position. They don't really work like regular AT guns but they can still be very effective in their own way.

Yes, they are OP when in pairs/vetted up but completly useless before either.

Guess what hurts okw the most in early game and starts with an M?

8 Jun 2018, 17:15 PM

Brits "can" stomp OKW. Just like any other faction "can" stomp every other faction.

If Brits go MG and UC vs OKW they have zero capping power. AEC delays real tanks a lot and should generally only be used to counter LV play. Raketenwerfer is actually my favourite AT-gun. Make two, use them together to ambush tanks. Cheesy but effective. OKW can just spam units early game and outcap Brits. Brits suck at holding down 2-3 key positions due to their lack of unit quantity. Then you can also just go heavy into Mech and get Luchs + Puma. Brits are weak vs any sort of good vehicle play while you can just snare AEC if it chases you. Or you go straight for double Obersoldaten + P4, this is especially effective if UKF player went AEC before you build a LV. You will get your P4 way earlier than he can get a Cromwell.

Brits are still strong vs OKW in team games but I feel like it´s a pretty balanced, fair match-up now. Unlike in the past, UKF used to just rape OKW on most maps.

Yes, my statement was for 2v2 (and 4v4 as well) where capping is not a priority. Brits can push OKW off the map early game. And the OKW player will not be capping much if he has to get two Raks to stop the UC fury. And of course, AEC is the LV response team. In a 1v1 brits could get stomped due to factors like you stated: no capping ability, no snares, etc. It is one of those harsh examples of the 1v1 game balance structure in a team game environment.

Cheers
8 Jun 2018, 17:16 PM

I don't need to tell you.
Go to replay section, watch replays from last 2v2 tournament.
Watch how double OKW steamrolled some of best players in a matter of minutes.
8 Jun 2018, 17:23 PM

I don't need to tell you.
Go to replay section, watch replays from last 2v2 tournament.
Watch how double OKW steamrolled some of best players in a matter of minutes.

Then probably because they were better ?
8 Jun 2018, 17:24 PM

Map control.

Something that's often forgotten is that if you take a point from your opponent that's connected to your territory the resource swing is doubled. They lose the resources and you gain them.

A cache costs 250 MP and boosts your income by +5 munitions or +3 fuel. If you spend that manpower on an extra unit and that translates into holding just one extra strategic point then that's a +10 munition and +6 fuel swing in your side's favour.

Territory points >>> caches. Caches only get good when more units ceases to translate into more map control or if you approach popcap.
8 Jun 2018, 17:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2018, 17:24 PMLago

Map control.

Something that's often forgotten is that if you take a point from your opponent that's connected to your territory the resource swing is doubled. They lose the resources and you gain them.

A cache costs 250 MP and boosts your income by +5 munitions or +3 fuel. If you spend that manpower on an extra unit and that translates into holding just one extra strategic point then that's a +10 munition and +6 fuel swing in your side's favour.

Territory points >>> caches. Caches only get good when more units ceases to translate into more map control or if you approach popcap.

But every other fraction can cut enemy territory of too (OKW might have a slight advantage here due the Kübel)
8 Jun 2018, 18:02 PM

But every other fraction can cut enemy territory of too (OKW might have a slight advantage here due the Kübel)

OKW can play a much more aggressive early game than OST. Double OKW doubles down on that.

Early caches are a terrible idea against double OKW. You risk giving them an even greater resource advantage because you've got fewer units with which to contest the map. Taking and holding one strategic point from the enemy is worth four caches worth of resources.
8 Jun 2018, 18:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2018, 18:02 PMLago

OKW can play a much more aggressive early game than OST. Double OKW doubles down on that.

Early caches are a terrible idea against double OKW. You risk giving them an even greater resource advantage because you've got fewer units with which to contest the map. Taking and holding one strategic point from the enemy is worth four caches worth of resources.

When I was mentioning the cachees I was thinking about a match where both sides pretty much have the same amount of territories and also I wasn't talking about building them in the beginning(didn't made that clear tho)
8 Jun 2018, 19:09 PM

When I was mentioning the cachees I was thinking about a match where both sides pretty much have the same amount of territories and also I wasn't talking about building them in the beginning(didn't made that clear tho)

A successful Double OKW team uses their very strong early game to gain a fuel lead, which they attempt to ride to victory.

If they fail to snowball their early advantage into an early win and it turns into a 50/50 map control late game stalemate then yes, OKW's lack of caches starts to bite. But the idea of Double OKW is not to end up there in the first place.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 95
unknown 5
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak