Login

russian armor

AT weapons for OKW

28 Dec 2017, 23:31 PM

This and many other AT gun issues would be solved if AT guns worked like they do in Dawn of War II: each shot snares the enemy armor temporarily (shorter than Panzerfaust snare).

As long as tanks can hard counter their own hard counter, there's generally very little reason to use AT guns, let alone the OKW AT gun that should be able to ambush, snare, and thus truly threaten enemy armor at closer ranges than other AT guns but at the cost of lower damage per shot (which is already present, if I'm not mistaken, or at least present in the form of worse accuracy and performance in general).
29 Dec 2017, 01:14 AM

This and many other AT gun issues would be solved if AT guns worked like they do in Dawn of War II: each shot snares the enemy armor temporarily (shorter than Panzerfaust snare).

As long as tanks can hard counter their own hard counter, there's generally very little reason to use AT guns, let alone the OKW AT gun that should be able to ambush, snare, and thus truly threaten enemy armor at closer ranges than other AT guns but at the cost of lower damage per shot (which is already present, if I'm not mistaken, or at least present in the form of worse accuracy and performance in general).

Hmm, thats a very good idea, unfortunately its kinda late to implement something like this, now.
Certainly something to be included in CoH3 wishlists, though
29 Dec 2017, 09:38 AM

Factions can afford to have gimmicky stuff for flavor, as long as basic utility is covered for elsewhere by other, reliable units.

When OKW had schreckblobs, they had the AT defence department covered. Raketens had the niche of being good at ambushing stuff, but were completely crap at anything else pre-buffs; they had a normal arc of fire and very crappy aiming times.

When schreckblobs got replaced by the current Volks, the raketenwerfer suddenly had to fill the void of covering for the entire AT department. The mistake so far is trying to rely on release-time raketens to fill a normal AT role. The resulting buffs to the Raketenwerfer made the thing despicable by everyone:
- People hate using that thing, because it's so completely unreliable. The squad formation (which we cannot further improve) and short range means it can get one-shot wiped by the tanks it is supposed to defend against (because its role is no longer ambushing stuff)
- People also hate having to fight vs raketens because stealth counters are generally absent in CoH2 (the only things that can detect stealth, allied-side are M3, M20 and UC; and guess what Raketenwerfer should protect OKW against...), and Raketenwerfer also has retreat which makes infantry flanks futile

Instead, OKW needs a normal AT gun that doesn't get wiped by tanks, but can be threatened by infantry to cover the AT department. If preserving raketenwerfer design is desirable for whatever reason, there are options to do so:
- Completely replace raketen with pak40 non-doc, and move raketenwerfer to, e.g., overwatch
- replicate current raketen design to soviet m42 gun (Soviets have a normal AT gun that gets the job done, and m42 could finally find a niche as a gimmick gun)
- Reconstruct raketen as a pak40 clone (i.e., worse reload, worse arc, no retreat, but 60 range and better accuracy) and only carry over the safe gimmicks (e.g., Soviet AT gun-grade camouflage and garrisoning). However, retreat needs to go.

I have a stupid question. Why is the raketen's accuracy bugged in the first place?
29 Dec 2017, 10:15 AM

I have a stupid question. Why is the raketen's accuracy bugged in the first place?

There are 2 issue with RW ability to hit targets.

One is its low accuracy compared with other ATG for the same range.

Two when RW misses the projectile has a low change of colliding with enemy vehicles.

(The changes in the last patch are:
Raketenwerfer
The Raketenwerfer has been adjusted to be less potent at veterancy, but more reliable and more difficult to lockdown by HMGs.
Projectile no longer collides with terrain

Can no longer be suppressed
Veterancy 4 and 5 sight and range bonuses removed
Veterancy 1 camouflaged speed bonus from 100% to 25%)

Instead of these nerfs the unit should become unable to move while cloaked (as many other units) and be buffed (with new vet bonuses) to become more reliable.
29 Dec 2017, 11:31 AM

Also IIRC its max range accuracy was the same as other at guns max range. This means that other 60 range (their max) guns would have a slightly higher accuracy at range 50 than rakkens would have at range 50.

Also it has 0 bonuses to accuracy in its vet (unlike 6lbr and 51mm) which made it more painful to use.
29 Dec 2017, 12:23 PM
Senior Artist Badge

... take it for what it is, but my observation is that at the end of every battle you will find all teams have raketens..just a cheap way to fill the arsenal!:)
29 Dec 2017, 13:04 PM

Also IIRC its max range accuracy was the same as other at guns max range. This means that other 60 range (their max) guns would have a slightly higher accuracy at range 50 than rakkens would have at range 50.

Also it has 0 bonuses to accuracy in its vet (unlike 6lbr and 51mm) which made it more painful to use.

Apart of the fact that it has less chance of scoring a "natural hit" via accuracy it has also has a lower chance of scoring a "collision" hit.

29 Dec 2017, 16:03 PM

I find the raketen to be better than a pak 40 for most of the game. It only becomes worse when theres multiple tanks or allied vehicles that have higher armor values. You can't build 2 at guns and be safe like ostheer, but you do threaten early light vehicles a bit more effectively

I also dont understand the poll but i voted the first b/c i think thats keep it the same?
29 Dec 2017, 22:22 PM

I think okw is already way too similar to ostheer. Giving them pak40 like gun goes a long way into breaking uniqueness of factions even more. Honestly, I would definitely rather come back to shreck blobs with no snare than give okw another ostheer copy paste. There is no point in ballance if all that differs factions is their name.

You can always remake the raketenwerfer into something completely unique that actually complements the faction.

If you completely remove raketen from okw, you have a faction that has no chance toretaliate against early light vehicles. You also get a faction that, if at any point, manages to fall behind on tank trades gets overrun.

None of the above are covered adequately by the current raketen. Instead the unit is optimised for cheesy artillery unit kills, as well as mocing and retreating in blobs when critical mass has been reached. For everything else, it's unreliable, and 1 raketen is functionally equivalent to 0 raketens.

So, if the raketen is meant to be unique for a reason, I fail to see the reason have any relevance post-schreckblob removal.
29 Dec 2017, 22:46 PM
Donator 11

You can always remake the raketenwerfer into something completely unique that actually complements the faction.

If you completely remove raketen from okw, you have a faction that has no chance toretaliate against early light vehicles. You also get a faction that, if at any point, manages to fall behind on tank trades gets overrun.

None of the above are covered adequately by the current raketen. Instead the unit is optimised for cheesy artillery unit kills, as well as mocing and retreating in blobs when critical mass has been reached. For everything else, it's unreliable, and 1 raketen is functionally equivalent to 0 raketens.

So, if the raketen is meant to be unique for a reason, I fail to see the reason have any relevance post-schreckblob removal.

I think raketen fills most of its roles rather nicely. It can easily kill snared LV with its DPS and it can contribute in killing mediums and heavies in the late game with its high pen. The problem lies in the mid game when okw is reliant on raketens as their primary AT.

That is why I think we should consider moving the JP4 back to lower tiers. Its a good unit that is rarely build becouse it has been put in too high of a tier and with the help of snare or a single raketen it can fight allied armour on its own.
29 Dec 2017, 22:46 PM

Oh, cmon, you are writing about shrek blobs, but you forgot why it was OP.
It was OP because they can kill anything, includes all tanks and inf.
Time since the removal of shrek blobs volks was nerfed few times and now they with StG44 are worse than most of basically allies inf squads (includes cons with PPSH-41, ofc). So if you give them shrek again, it will be not the same shrek volks what you remember. Now they totally cant do something against vet3 allies inf, so with a shrek instead StG44 they will be just a AT squad with a bit of a AI potential.
IMO, standard OKW design was much better than what we have now. It just required a balanced improvements with attributes of a units, weapons and abilities, not total reworking, which was done.

P.S. You can see how small changes in the attributes affect the game, for example conscripts, which only slightly improved the accuracy and changed the veterancy a bit, are now OP.
29 Dec 2017, 22:57 PM
Donator 11

I don't agree with russianhamster in many points but I must say that I truly enjoyed okw much more before the unfortunate redesign it got, with most interesting features removed.
31 Dec 2017, 16:08 PM

And nobody will see raketen ever since. It's just Soviet ver2, instead of Zig and M42 we have pak and raketen.

Honestly, have you ever encountered m42? Below panzer, it work barely. And anything above that, it's useless. I'd rather having current raketen than another m42 clone

Or the coh1 pak38 clone. The gun does not have much damage or penetration, and relies to its first (three) shots out of ambush.
And while balancing gun, please remove camouflage while moving, I really hate stealth capping from raketen.

You say this like it's a bad thing. Nobody would miss the Raketen. It belongs in some BS commander like Overwatch. I'd like a regular Pak. The short range of the Raketen really makes it get wiped a lot in larger team games, much more than any 60-range AT gun.

COH1 had a mechanic that didn't allow capping by cloaked units. COH2 could probably implement the same.

Raketens shouldn't being able to move in open ground while cloaked. It allows the mechanic of sneaking two around and occasionally being able to snipe vehicles up to a Sherman, while always being able to retreat and not really risking anything.
31 Dec 2017, 17:10 PM

As allies player I beg to give OKW PAK 40 because it allows me:

1) Use Ambulance in the mid of the map.
2) build and use light vehicles more aggresive
3) much higher possibilities to capture PAK 40 for my own possation
4) to use mediums (t34 and Shermans) with higher chance to surrvive coz of calculated risk
5) using Rocket arty and mortars on PAK40 for higher chance to wipe it
6) No threat to my Katyushas or Ambulance on my own territory

Please dear Santa Give OKW PAK 40 as present for me!

PS You already game me small present no FRP for OKW thank you very much.
5 Jan 2018, 11:26 AM

Give it incentive to properly ambush. Instead of "creep into enemy territory to wipe out katys and ambulances while cloaked" make it imobile but with longer range and maybe at vet 1 guaranteed to hit when in ambush mode. Why is premeditation and planning SOOOO frowned upon by the devs? Use its vet to make it better at its ambush role, hell allow it more durability coming out of ambush mode even!
8 Jan 2018, 14:40 PM

it is not only it has paar surviveability...it has the very little range, which allows a enemy tank to drive out of its after the first shot...other AT guns can do 1 or 2 more shoots because of their good range.

means u need 3 raketen to destroy a tank ...this means a loot of micro, a loot of MP (and MP bleed) and high risk to lose them--because of one shootet by tanks
8 Jan 2018, 14:58 PM

means u need 3 raketen to destroy a tank ...this means a loot of micro, a loot of MP (and MP bleed) and high risk to lose them--because of one shootet by tanks

Oddly enough the RW become more susceptible to fire with the last patch, because their TS was increased to 1.
8 Jan 2018, 15:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jan 2018, 14:58 PMVipper

Oddly enough the RW become more susceptible to fire with the last patch, because their TS was increased to 1.

because they buffed it arc of fire and fire through teran..which made it to the good at /ironyoff
8 Jan 2018, 15:15 PM

because they buffed it arc of fire and fire through teran..which made it to the good at /ironyoff

Actually from patch notes:
Raketenwerfer
The Raketenwerfer has been adjusted to be less potent at veterancy, but more reliable and more difficult to lockdown by HMGs.

Veterancy 1 camouflaged speed bonus from 100% to 25%

(and the target size/DPS chance under "BUG FIXES & QUALITY OF LIFE")
8 Jan 2018, 15:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jan 2018, 15:15 PMVipper

Actually from patch notes:
Raketenwerfer

Veterancy 1 camouflaged speed bonus from 100% to 25%

(and the target size/DPS chance under "BUG FIXES & QUALITY OF LIFE")

sure? i thought i read that they buiffed the arc and it can now shoot thorugh teran...was that revertet?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★