Login

russian armor

Company of Heroes III - Your expectations

PAGES (12)down
26 Dec 2017, 02:31 AM

Is that a Smoking Gun I see your in pocket, or are you just please to post this? ;)

I have no idea what that idiom means, assuming it's an idiom...
26 Dec 2017, 08:43 AM
Donator 11

Smoking gun is a company which several of the original coh1 devs formed after leaving Relic. I think they mostly made mobile games
26 Dec 2017, 09:37 AM

26 Dec 2017, 09:45 AM

I wish another developer makes this game not Relic because they clearly have shown they are unable to make a proper strategy game with Warhammer III and Crap of Hoes 2

If someone wants to be successful they should accept criticism and from day 1, the developers of coh2 were ban hammering anyone on official forums talking against the gameplay design with anger. We all had the right to be angry because they showed us a totally different game in Beta and Alpha and the release date was something else. It had nothing to do with what they showed us. Snow storm was removed + DLC commanders from week 1 in a competitive game + 10-20FPS gameplay + Horrible faction design. And look now and see it took them 5 years to fix MAXIM MG insta deployment and pinning infantry while everyone was crying about it from day 1 with so many other issues. I won't be surprised if next patch brings the pop cap style like COH1 and capture points like COH1 (Well this is relic and it is expected lol) In fact I wont be even surprised if th next patch makes this game FPS instead of RTS!

They should just hire back the original COH1 team before Quinn duffy ruined the game with expansions.

Things which ruined COH 1:

COH1 was mainly designed for one offensive play (American) and one defensive play (Wehrmacht) and each faction was amazingly designed for its goal. You were forced to use skill and flanking tactics to get through MGs.

How Quinn Duffy ruined COH1:
For some reason this guy (With all respect) has no idea how an RTS game works, he introduced mobile bunker units from C&C games to a game which was only based on flanking so if there was an MG just load up your troops to a Bren carrier or PE halftruck and go behind it and kill it then capture it. and in COH2 you see nearly all factions have a unit like this from start, specially the soviet clown car.

Another thing this guy did was designing 2 new armies which had no gameplay resemblance to original gameplay. The game was about starting with super weak units (Engineers) and then moving the fight to more combat troops to capture and hold points (Rifles and volks later). What do you see in COH OF factions and COH2 expansion pack factions is armies are starting with the best Combat unit they can offer (PG and Infantry section and Sturmpioneers) which for me kills the early game feeling completely. All factions should start with engineer which has to build barracks and then go for capturing and fighting not directly moving to capture and fight with no fear.

DLC commanders and game optimisation is another big problem that still with my machine which runs almost any new game on 144FPS I can hardly run COH2 on 50FPS and on snow maps if the fight lasts for more than 30 minutes my FPS drops down to even 10 or 8 on ultra settings.

But anyway the question is if anyone is going to read and take this notes serious or just put another "lock or ban" hammer on the thread because it was not pleasing for staff members to read. And with respect to EVERYONE on this website, I think it was better if COH2 had stayed on Gamereplays.org because the replay system there was way better than here.

AND one special thing you need to know: IF coh2 has more players than many RTS games on steam at the moment it does not mean it is a good game, keep in mind how many times it was given out for free on various websites or being sold for under $10
26 Dec 2017, 12:42 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

*sobs*

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2017, 08:43 AMArray

Smoking gun is a company which several of the original coh1 devs formed after leaving Relic. I think they mostly made mobile games

link
26 Dec 2017, 15:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2017, 08:43 AMArray

link

Oh. I didn't know that.

Last I heard quite a few of those guys went to Blizzard actually.
28 Dec 2017, 15:00 PM

What i expect and what it will be.
Mostly fears.
I want a better looking more packed CoH set on a different front.
But i'm not going to deep on this topic.
DoW3 left a burning Moba shaped hole in my heart.
DoW3 ruined the chance of me preordering any Relic game.
*cries while playing coh2 cause dow3 sucks*
29 Dec 2017, 00:00 AM

Gameplay

Learn from the disaster of Dawn of War III and double down on tactical gameplay rather than falling back to mindless unit swarming.

Also make sure every single faction's units feel threatening in certain ways, to avoid the constant lack of threat Allied factions experience in CoH2 from Axis units, while many Axis units scream and run at mere sight of certain Allied units/weapons.

Content

Single player/online co-op campaign play with at least 20 hours of gameplay, for Axis too, not just Allies.

Technical stuff / Engine

Focus on audio. G43s in CoH2 still sound better than in literally any other WWII game to ever exist.

Community

Instead of leaderboards, create a grand strategy mode where literally every multiplayer match anyone plays contributes to the war on a grand scale, with maps being designed to be generic representations of things such as Western European City, Eastern European Village, European Forest, Russian Wetlands, etc.
31 Dec 2017, 17:50 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

"After it is more or less clear that the time has come where CoH2 won't get anymore (large) content updates from Relic, we can start looking at the future. How would your personal dream Company of Heroes III look like?"

* = Must haves

Gameplay
-- Slightly longer range of weapons, higher damage.
-- Bigger squads (depending on unit type.)
-- Better Command AI.*
-- Better Squad-AI.*
-- More cover types.
-- More fleshed out armor and penetration system.*
-- More interactive ambient mechanics (Wounded soldiers, environmental features, etc.)*

Content
-- More map objects/details.
-- More maps in general.
-- More maps with special features/objectives (Big capturable gun, Repair depot, etc.)
-- Better unit variety, more units in general.*
-- More lengthy and varied campaign (The good kind of length, not artificial difficulty.)*
-- More voice-lines/chatter (COH1 has nearly double the amount of lines as COH2.)*
-- More Easter Eggs.
-- Better theatre of war, like a mini-campaign for factions that dont get the full spotlight rather than a bunch of fancy AI battles.

Technical stuff / Engine
-- Better rendering.
-- Better FX.
-- Less bugs.*
-- Better optimization.
-- Can still run on Windows 7.*

Community
-- More modding features/support.*
-- Integrated statistics.

Thats my requirements for a good game, and Im guessing most people can agree. If it is set in the Cold-War era, there will have to be some changes to the core gameplay, especially firefights and gunplay, hence the increased range.
31 Dec 2017, 18:37 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2017, 17:50 PMLugie

Technical stuff / Engine
-- Better rendering.
-- Better FX.
-- Can still run on Windows 7.

Its probably either better gfx or old OS support as they will probably use newest directx if they prioritise creating new, nice looking and performant engine instead of just altering the old one.

Also, the game realease will probably be dated similarly to the end of support for windows 7 which is 2019 or 2020.
17 Jan 2018, 15:10 PM

Ok, people might disagree here, but I really think they should make base rushing a bit more viable. It takes FAR too long to seal the deal against a bad opponent and even if they're frickin AFK it takes too long to destroy their base to close the game, being that you have to tech and get vehicles out that can effectively put some hurt on the base structures.

17 Jan 2018, 15:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2017, 17:50 PMLugie

-- More interactive ambient mechanics (Wounded soldiers, environmental features, etc.)*

Not to be rude but getting rid of the main environmental feature CoH2 offered was the best thing they ever did (Blizzards).
17 Jan 2018, 15:35 PM

Not to be rude but getting rid of the main environmental feature CoH2 offered was the best thing they ever did (Blizzards).

To be fair, removal of blizzards appeared to be the best option. There was ample opportunity to make it a meaningful, dynamic, and fun mechanic. Once it was clear no effort would be spent on fixing it, removal of cold tech was kind of one of two options: the other being leaving it in as it was.

17 Jan 2018, 16:50 PM

Please make coldwar not WW2 . It will be fun than WW2 .

yeah i would like to see a cold war coh3 as well. Because you can mix so many equipment and vehicles since the cold war lastet for a long time. And teirs could be based on years of production like say a t1 building had stuff from 1940's to 50's t2 from 60-70's etc.

17 Jan 2018, 17:34 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I respectfully disagree. It was the deep snow mechanic which I disliked. Blizzards could be dealt with. BTW, I accept all cold tech made the 1v1 game less e-sports friendly

To be fair, removal of blizzards appeared to be the best option. There was ample opportunity to make it a meaningful, dynamic, and fun mechanic. Once it was clear no effort would be spent on fixing it, removal of cold tech was kind of one of two options: the other being leaving it in as it was.

But if the deep snow were turned into ice, as it is now, does the Blizzard mechanic still remain lame? (I had not realised OKW got the deep snow manouevarability advantage you mention).

17 Jan 2018, 18:03 PM

I liked the cold system, it added more life and interest to the game. Instead of removing it, we had to redo it, removing this system is a lazy way.
17 Jan 2018, 18:08 PM

I respectfully disagree. It was the deep snow mechanic which I disliked. Blizzards could be dealt with. BTW, I accept all cold tech made the 1v1 game less e-sports friendly

But if the deep snow were turned into ice, as it is now, does the Blizzard mechanic still remain lame? (I had not realised OKW got the deep snow manouevarability advantage you mention).

The deep snow mechanic is cool and a decent idea. But slowing your units to a crawl = dead units since you cannot easily discern where the deep snow is. It is also a problem for inexperienced mappers because they put heavy snow in well traveled areas >:( I think RHZEV winter(worst map in the game) still has heavy snow in well traveled places >:(.

Blizzards kill your FPS and make Esports boring. But is really cool for the single player or AI experience.

I keep leaning towards slight mods to the Automatch portion of the game. It should be split into:
MODE 1: Campaign+AI fights
- More maps to play on. Not necessarily balanced but more fun oriented.
- Blizzards, deep snow, etc
- Could add stuff like:
-- A) Vehicles speed changes.
-- B) Vehicles take damage from hitting things.
-- C) Vehicles could use fuel to move.
-- D) etc

MODE 2: Automatch
- Reduced RNG.
- Reduced map list.
- Reduced call in garbage like planes that kill everything and require no micro.

I fear what COH3 will be because they tried to make COH2 bigger and better than COH1. And instead turned into stupid no skill slaughterfests. Too many units are all OP or require little skill. I would like to see it get back to being a little more even balanced and have more meaningful engagements. Not I upgraded my blob so now it mows down units so fast if there is any lag at all the users micro will still not save the unit. Lets get back to what made COH1 fun.
17 Jan 2018, 19:32 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2016, 08:34 AMKatitof
I got this bad feeling that after DoW3, relic will only diminish into a shadow of itself and won't be able to produce anything meaningful.

I'd like to be wrong though, for they are pretty much the last bastion of RTS gaming that isn't just copy pasting 20 year old formulas.

My thoughts exactly especially in reference to the most recent TW games (Rome II onwards).
My CoH expectations are simply a heightened focus on good multiplayer content. Good maps, balance, depth, and creativity.

The commanders have already proved to give us a fair bit of ways to play CoH2 so maybe an expansion on that formula so as custom commanders (as broken as it might be) or a meld of the commander system of Coh1 but maybe an extra commander so 4 instead of 3.

As far as community goes, I hope we focus more on being more inclusive (as hard as that can be) with new players and try and calm down on the salt we put into game that really digs the knife in. Report function in multiplayer for cheese such as a teammate killing your base b/c you wont give up is simply something childish and shouldn't be allowed.

In multiplayer I would like to see more of a larger aspect, maybe some sort of meta game that gives out weekly or monthly rewards based on who is winning a sort of meta campaign if you will. Clan support would be nice to have with leader boards as well as clan stats. Ways to organize tournaments in game might also be a nice addition with custom rule sets and maybe even map lists.

Single-player I know there are those out there who enjoy CoH for its single-player and I'd hope a larger version of Ardenns assault comes with coh 3. Addition of air units, navel, or campaign map weather elements would make the single-player unique. Would also be nice to see the game kind of go in a Attack-Defend game play where each turn the AI will either sit tight and build up strength or you are attacking.

Cosmetics While I know we don't like DLC as a community (no one does) it wouldn't be bad to expand the system already in place from CoH 2 with the Relic Bucks. Most stuff should be purchasable with in game currency that can be fairly earned overtime. Possible additions to cosmetics might be simple boxes and bushes/camo you could add to tanks, emblems, or even being able to paint your tanks (not pink ofc) would all add some nice personal look to your units.

FinallyFuture way of patching Finally I'd like to address the way Relic as a company address bug fixes and balance patches. While I will credit Relic for keeping into the long tail-end of their product by releasing more patches, I will say it would be nice to have a bug fix patch once a week and then a balance thrown in somewhere in between (much like what Starcraft does). Not only would it help clean up the product but might keep balance issues lower as a result of cleaner house.

TLDR: Just make CoH2 But bigger, better, and stronger than ever b4. :snfQuinn:

17 Jan 2018, 20:43 PM

I do believe issues with deep snow, ice, and blizzards were conflated and removed by association. I agree that the bigger issue was deep snow and map design.

But, as far as ice is concerned, it's heavily flawed: all ice is the same, whereas there is water that is shallow enough to cross with units. Since there's no differentiation of depth for ice, you have tanks phasing through solid ground because the front tracks were on 1 inch deep ice. This is still actually a problem and wasn't fixed by removing cold tech.

Also I don't remember now if volks schrecks allowed for volks to move through deep snow (I think just sturm pios aren't slowed by terrain type, and even them I think it really only affects water, not deep snow.) I think the immunity was from losing temperature in deep snow.

Gad it's been a while since that time.
17 Jan 2018, 21:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

snip

I do believe issues with deep snow, ice, and blizzards were conflated and removed by association. I agree that the bigger issue was deep snow and map design.

But, as far as ice is concerned, it's heavily flawed: all ice is the same, whereas there is water that is shallow enough to cross with units. Since there's no differentiation of depth for ice, you have tanks phasing through solid ground because the front tracks were on 1 inch deep ice. This is still actually a problem and wasn't fixed by removing cold tech.

Also I don't remember now if volks schrecks allowed for volks to move through deep snow (I think just sturm pios aren't slowed by terrain type, and even them I think it really only affects water, not deep snow.) I think the immunity was from losing temperature in deep snow.

Gad it's been a while since that time.

+1

Volks schreck upgrade gave cold immunity not slow effects. I think SP were immune to both.

There were several problems with Blizzard and Cold Tech and basically no effort/resources to balance it for multiplayer therefore removing it was easier.

1- There's no interaction between blizzards and environment besides your units dying if left on the cold.
2- The high risk of going through ice with units has no equivalent reward.
3- No practical way to interact with deep snow. No benefit nor way to clear it.
4- Bonfire/firepits costing mp.
5- Random duration and appearance.
6- Only certain commander abilities were disabled (IIRC you could cast something just right before the blizzard arrived and it would be active).

Some solutions to make it kinda appealing:

-Units don't die of cold (because losing units on retreat was bad). They get a debuff to offensive combat skills or in the extreme of been freezed and on deep snow, maybe they could lose HP but not kill models (in a slow way such as white phosporous).
-Ice get's more resilient during blizzards, taking more damage before it breaks down. Water patches forms ice faster as well.
-Deep snow can be cleared by more means: explosives, vehicles, fire. It comes back during Blizzards. Unit on retreat ignore deep snow slow penalties.
-Deep snow provides camo for units remaining still on it (hold fire on every unit?). This is to give it some kind of role.
-Remove xp (yeah there was) on bonfires and mp cost. Give it a cooldown instead.
-Give it a 2 min warning before appearing. Disable offmaps 1 min prior to appearing (so you couldn't just call abilities before it happened and give it time for others to end). Normalise duration and appearance.

All of this is dandy, but this doesn't fix one of the biggest detractors for many. PERFORMANCE.

PAGES (12)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 61
Germany 21
unknown 19

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %