Login

russian armor

Are mines almost useless on the new beta patch?

6 May 2016, 02:57 AM

Hey guys, after playing some matches using the May Beta Balance Patch, and with the recent nerfs to the 30 ammo mines (which includes Soviets and OKW), I'm beginning to think they are a bit weak and useless against infantry.

I understand Relic wants to avoid full health squads getting wiped by a 30 ammo mine, but they way it is now is not very effective, If a full health squad steps on a mine they will not lose one single model, also if one or two models of a 5 man squad (for example) steps on one mine, the squad's health will drop only a bit.

If they want to keep this damage profile for mines, maybe they should consider adding suppresion to them, just like it was on Company of Heroes 1, squad models were not guaranteed to die, but at least stepping on a mine helped to slow them, making mines more effective against blobs of infantry clumped together, and helping to secure flanks against fast attacks.

What do you guys think?
aaa
6 May 2016, 03:19 AM

mines are garbage
6 May 2016, 03:24 AM

They are already causing suppression to the infantry that stepped on the mine, however from my testing the amount of the suppression is just too small...sometime it doesn't trigger the infantry to be suppressed at all, even it does, the infantry can get up in a very minimal delay like 1 sec.

Maybe increase the inflicting suppression and it would be fine, at least delay the infantry that triggered the mine for like 3-4 sec, maybe even pin the squad while stepped.

additional to that I personally would like to see the cost is tuned down to 25 munition, as it no longer wipe the squad at alpha and no longer causing engine destroyed, also promoting more use of the mine.
aaa
6 May 2016, 03:25 AM

making mines more effective against blobs of infantry clumped together, and helping to secure flanks against fast attacks.

What do you guys think?

for me thats insanity. Unfortunately this is the direction game is going. No flanks no mobility no micro no unit control. Sit at the position and indirects of all kind decide the winner. This game lacks flank attacks and skill in general .
Mines must kill. notjing else
6 May 2016, 04:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2016, 03:25 AMaaa

for me thats insanity. Unfortunately this is the direction game is going. No flanks no mobility no micro no unit control. Sit at the position and indirects of all kind decide the winner. This game lacks flank attacks and skill in general .

So you're saying you want your opponent to grow balls and attack you instead of hiding his balls and making you do stupid shit? hide and go fucking seek is a wonderful strat.

Also nice signature my max 1v1 was rank 40.
6 May 2016, 05:03 AM

well to be fair relic decided that even clicking "U" to reverse is far to much to ask so now we have tank crews that cant seem to decide if they are attacking the enemy or preparing to be sodomized

this is what happens when building counters is hard...
6 May 2016, 05:08 AM
Senior Editor Badge

well to be fair relic decided that even clicking "U" to reverse is far to much to ask so know we have tank crews that cant seem to decide if they are attacking the enemy or preparing to be sodomized

this is what happens when building counters is hard...

That's worded quite well m8.
6 May 2016, 06:48 AM

Mine should pin for 2 sec then suppress
6 May 2016, 09:52 AM
Donator 11

for me thats insanity. Unfortunately this is the direction game is going. No flanks no mobility no micro no unit control. Sit at the position and indirects of all kind decide the winner. This game lacks flank attacks and skill in general.

lol. have you played coh1? mines did suppress there. and yes, the game had a ton of flanks. i think suppression is a beautiful method to increase the number of flanks, because before blobbing was very effective and with this change one mg and a well placed mine can stop a blob, especially considering the fact that grenades now have a decreased range under supression.
anyway, if your enemy has a position secured with a ton of mines and has invested heavily there, you maybe should minesweep before attacking :D

Mine should pin for 2 sec then suppress

nah, that is too hard. they would take ages to get to normal speed again.

i havent tested the new mines yet, but i believe they favor people who have some kind of healing, which i dont like. it think the "does not kill" change is a sorry excuse for bad squad spacing, because that was really broken. mines killing people never was the problem...

btw: can a german sniper now trigger a mine without dying? OP OP if so

6 May 2016, 09:59 AM

Needs suppression buff.
6 May 2016, 10:14 AM

Fix squad formations and revert changes to mines.
6 May 2016, 10:18 AM

First i havent played the preview mod yet.
But i definitely appreciate the changes as they promote flanks.Just that they should increase suppression and maybe lower the cost by a small amount.Mines on red cover still do a good amount of dmg btw (+50 %).
6 May 2016, 11:33 AM

Mines definitely aren't useless in the new patch, but they are different. You can't just dump spare munis into mines and bleed your opponent dry anymore, and in my book that's a good thing. Now, they are for protecting your flanks. A flanking unit that runs into a mine will be pinned, forcing them to wait, and lose so much health the won't be in fighting shape. It's a change that encourages tactical use of mines rather than spam. Personally, I would like it if mines were coded to always kill exactly one model to add some MP bleed and make it seem a bit more realistic. But that's just me. In any case, the important thing is that you can't get free wipes by luck, or planting mines on doorways.
6 May 2016, 13:59 PM
Senior Editor Badge

6 May 2016, 14:03 PM

Ever considered bringing a minesweeper with your flanking attacks? I build one every game to ensure i'm not getting screwed by mines or demos.

Mines definitely aren't useless in the new patch, but they are different. You can't just dump spare munis into mines and bleed your opponent dry anymore, and in my book that's a good thing. Now, they are for protecting your flanks. A flanking unit that runs into a mine will be pinned, forcing them to wait, and lose so much health the won't be in fighting shape. It's a change that encourages tactical use of mines rather than spam. Personally, I would like it if mines were coded to always kill exactly one model to add some MP bleed and make it seem a bit more realistic. But that's just me. In any case, the important thing is that you can't get free wipes by luck, or planting mines on doorways.

But the way it is now they are not suppressing, I think the suppress rate of mines is way too low.

Last night I saw infantry walking through 30 ammo mines like they were nothing, the health pool went down a bit and they weren't suppressed or pinned.

I agree with you that mines should kill a model of the squad at least.

The way I see it, 30 ammo mines are useful against vehicles and that's it.
6 May 2016, 15:41 PM

You all do realize that a squad not at full health will still drop models not at 100% and conceivably even wipe a low-health squad when it hits a Mine right? Yes you'll still get some "dud" mines - but that happens now anyway where sometimes a mine will only kill one model due to spacing. It would be nice if they always killed one model but eh, they still have a lot of utility.

It's like Kalli said- important thing is that they aren't RNG/Cheese squad wipers anymore.
7 May 2016, 11:27 AM

The optimal solution in my opinion would be that exactly one entity is killed (hard coded) and in addition the squad receives a substancial suppression amount for going prone while being shocked and confused for a certain time.
7 May 2016, 11:38 AM

Mines should kill. Vet 3 volks, inf sections and elite infantry don't give a *** about mines, not to mention you can just retreat with no losses, what i am paying for? For nothing.
7 May 2016, 12:04 PM

Can anyone tell me do s-mines suppress infantry in the preview?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★