Login

russian armor

CoH Korea

20 Oct 2015, 05:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2015, 03:57 AMKeaper!
Could be cool but I don't think it'd be a very good business decision by Relic. Sticking with WWII or venturing into a more tested setting like the modern era would probably be a better bet. I'd personally enjoy it but I don't think a Korean War RTS would attract anyone outside of the rts/coh communities.

there aren't that many korean war RTS games out there considering modern warfare, vietnam and the WW2 are the most commonplace. i feel that korean war era is an untapped market waiting to bust open like a powder keg.
20 Oct 2015, 07:34 AM

You might want to read up on your history you can have up to 6 different factions, more countries fought in the war than just the united states and Korea/china. Why are you not able to tell a story? its a civil war that lasted 3 years and killed over 2.5 million people, thats a gold mine for a good story.

Well, that's also another factor that why they won't pick Korean war to make a game, because most people don't know about it. Look at WWII, people know a lot of "useless" information about it. By useless I mean the whole "Germans were this and Soviets were that", i.e WWII myths. And well, it was a world war.

Still, your point is valid but as a player, I'm not interested. There also might be political reasons (not likely though). All I'm saying is, there are a lot of subjects in history worth reading, but not worth making a game of. Arab-Israeli wars, Korea War, Chinese civil war (Mao), Mogadishu war, Soviet-Afghan war, Iran-Iraq war (which lasted 8 years), Falkland war, first and second gulf war... (we middle eastern have a great potential :D ).

Another reason, is the perspective. See how pissed off some Russians are because of CoH2? (I'm not gonna argue if they are right or wrong). The same thing will happen, and people will be more furious as you move forward in history. As a westerner, what ever they make people are gonna call them Pro-American developers.

You still might like the idea and you are entitled to your opinion.

20 Oct 2015, 07:36 AM

you think relic will one day make a CoH game based on the Korean War of the 1950's because the korean conflict is a mostly forgotten war much like the WW2 battles Hurtgen Forest and Peleliu. it wud be nice if they step out of the WW2 comfort zone.

That's the reason why it won't happen.
Most people don't even know who fought against which enemy.
Everything people know is that this is what made North Korea the bad guys.

It's not about history or realism it's all about money.
20 Oct 2015, 07:50 AM

Won't happen all of this axis fanboys will get mad that they won't get their tigers and panthers.

:D
20 Oct 2015, 08:10 AM

If they want to tell a new story, better to invent one from scratch than reopening Korea's war wounds. Nobody "lost" or "won" the Korea's war and this war can begin again anytime soon between North and South Korea. that's not something you really want to put in a game.

Same than making Chinese or Russian the bad guys, if it was possible before, market rules say no today. Because you most likely want to sell your product in Russia and China, and making their nation the bad guys isn't going to help you.

WW2 is a secure area, USA/Russia/China/Europe were the good guys and you can definitively define and exclude Nazis from today's German society.

Have a look at the Hollywood action movies, bad guys after having been Russian are now invented from "rogue nations" or terrorist organizations that threaten both USA and Russia/China. Have a look at the recent Mission Impossible, or the last Micheal Bay movie about a Hacker (don't remember the name).

Iranians themselves will probably not be anymore the bad guys in a short term future if the relationship between USA and Iran continue in that way.
20 Oct 2015, 08:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2015, 00:45 AMpigsoup

in western media, relatively.

Certainly not in the western world generally, I can scarcely strike up a conversation these days with someone about the war without being told about just how forgotten the Eastern front is. :sibWaddle:

If you get your only education about the war from Hollywood movies yeah, it's American media so it's gonna be focused predominantly (although not exclusively) on the American experience. There are American films about the Ostfront or the British experience, and there are a lot of foreign films that were shot in other countries but funded / produced or co-produced by American film companies.
21 Oct 2015, 10:50 AM

I myself always thought that CoH3 (or another name for the game mechanics, for that matter) would be situated on Korea. The weapons and tactics were fairly similar, and at the same time some great changes came, such as the jet fighter. You even could easily make 4 factions with the main contenders (China, NK, US, SK), with a 5th right after (UN forces).

I don't think that Korean War is so dead to the market, but it could be very difficult to make single player content to break the sales. There was a great game called People's General, turn-based, that roughly touches this setting (but set during modern days).
21 Oct 2015, 22:05 PM

Korea would be easier to make than a more modern conflict as tanks were still present in decent numbers (unlike say Afghanistan which one poster mentioned) and there were many nations involved: USF, ROK, NORK, Chinese, UN forces (too many to list because I'm lazy).

I would have loved to see COH touch on North Africa because it would be a tactical game player's dream as heavy tanks didn't exist yet like they did in 1944-45 European theater. You would have lots of combined arms, ATG, arty and light/medium armor. Probably thought it wouldn't sell though and they would probably be right.
22 Oct 2015, 02:09 AM

I concur with most of the reasoning above. Korea just doesn't have the resonance to sell well; most of the others don't feature that are reasonably equal in the types of materiel they can field. There is certainly room for games that deal with those topics, but they probably won't be much like CoH.

I think the desert war is a bit of a mixed prospect. Sure it would be interesting, but I'm not really sure it is that tactical, given the lack of terrain features, and even if that could be solved, the units involved would be too early to reasonably be put up against the forces in 'main' CoH2. You'd either have to make these earlier units perform artificially well, or you'd have to split them into a separate scenario, which also splits the player base.

A while back I read that Relic had intended to produce a CoH expansion in Italy, before it was decided to go ahead with CoH2. I would like to see that, but to make a proper expansion would probably require at least one more Axis army, and I struggle to think how this could be done. If it doesn't have an army, then it would be a campaign, which is fine, and some maps, which is great, but it won't materially effect the existing multiplayer scene.

If Relic were to ask me, personally, what kind of game I would like them to make next, I'd suggest something akin to Armageddon Empires. This is a fairly obscure, indie post apocalyptic strategy game that is nevertheless very innovative and well designed. The great thing about the post-apoc genre is that you can plausibly justify just about any mix of politics, systems and technologies that takes your fancy, and yet still have it grounded in reality. However, no fictional setting will never be quite as grabby as real world event.

22 Oct 2015, 04:47 AM
Patrion 28

but it could be called CoH-rea... :megusta:
22 Oct 2015, 06:10 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Why are you not able to tell a story? its a civil war that lasted 3 years and killed over 2.5 million people, thats a gold mine for a good story.

Red Bear is fucking ruthless.
22 Oct 2015, 06:43 AM
Patrion 28

Red Bear is fucking ruthless.

yeah but we haven't even made enough WWII games to account for all the jews who died, never mind the 8 million russian deaths and everyone who lost more then the jews and less then the russians.
22 Oct 2015, 18:49 PM
Senior Editor Badge

yeah but we haven't even made enough WWII games to account for all the jews who died, never mind the 8 million russian deaths and everyone who lost more then the jews and less then the germans.

It was actually the Palestinians. blame them...

anyway, LOL at Netenyahu.
22 Oct 2015, 19:13 PM

Don´t think it would sell well here. The main market for games is the Western hemisphere.

World war 2 was the event that changed Europe once and for all. It affects our thinking even today. The whole concept of a united Europe is the consequence of the insane things most European countries had to go through back then. My grandparents would tell me stories of what happened in the war. Everyone in the "target market" has a connection to it.

Korea on the other hand is some war far away. That does not make it any less important for the people affected by it, but you can´t blame people if they aren´t interested in it as much.
22 Oct 2015, 19:19 PM

Not going to happen. First due to how sensitive this is it in asia and would probably end up being banned in most of asia, and especially in china, which is a very big PC market these days.

And also given how relic handled the campaign of coh 2 i wouldn't be surprised if it would portray north koreans and chinese as baby eaters and US troops as saints.

This is the same reason we dont see games about the far east mostly. The japanese vs china conflict was extremelly brutal and caused about 20 million chinese deaths and it was to the pacific like the eastern front was to the western front.

But because of nationalistic sentiments the game would probably end up being banned in china and japan, and possibly other asian countries as well.

Hearts of Iron series is already banned in china, and that's okay for a niche game like hearts of iron, not okay for a mainstream RTS like coh 2.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★