Login

russian armor

Panzer 4 Command Tank is Overperforming

15 Sep 2015, 21:17 PM

It was not a lie and I have instances of a pz4 command tank beating an m4a3 sherman in my broadcasts. I will try to look for it and link it here later.

Must've just been heavy RNG, I once had Conscripts wipe my Sturmpioneers at point-blank range (both units on A-move, met each other at a corner, so there was no closing distance) with 2 casualties. I was flabbergasted, they deserve fuckin' Hero of the Soviet Union for that trick.

But in normal conditions the Panzer IV Command Tank cannot successfully 1v1 anything heavier than a Stuart or SU-76. I once made the mistake of thinking I could chase down an M10 TD with one, did not end well for the P4.
15 Sep 2015, 21:24 PM

So what does 20% less damage actually mean? 20% more health

You are doing a great job at making yourself look incompetent. :loco:

actually it's more like 25% more hp in practice, since 100 /.80 = 125.
15 Sep 2015, 21:25 PM

For the record the exact buff is 20% reduction in damage, which equates to 25% additional effective health. 20% damage reduce does not equal 20% more effective hp.

I'm not really good at stats and math and shit, could you please explain?
15 Sep 2015, 21:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2015, 21:25 PMRMMLz

I'm not really good at stats and math and shit, could you please explain?

1/.80 = 1.25

or to give example.

a 80 hp unit will take 4 shots from a 20 damage gun before dying

the same 80 hp unit will take 5 shots from a 16 (20*.80 = 16) damage bun before dying.

therefore, a .80 received damage increase your hp by 25%.
15 Sep 2015, 21:45 PM

I really like the direction Relic took with the Brit command tank by giving it a 50% speed reduction.

It forces the player to be smart with his positioning. Conversely, a proper flank from the opposing side is also much harder to escape from so good counterplay is rewarded. Win-Win.

I could see a small speed reduction working well on the Ost counterpart. Something around 10%.
16 Sep 2015, 01:25 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Unit is fine.
Synergy is strong, true, but i don't think it merits a nerf.

Removing self buff should be enough.
16 Sep 2015, 01:41 AM

my suggestion on it is move to both T3 and T4, so give OH player a choice, not force to go T3 to have command tank and only P4 in the game. usually in 1v1 OH player need choose between T3 and T4, because they can't afford to have both.
16 Sep 2015, 08:27 AM

1/.80 = 1.25

or to give example.

a 80 hp unit will take 4 shots from a 20 damage gun before dying

the same 80 hp unit will take 5 shots from a 16 (20*.80 = 16) damage bun before dying.

therefore, a .80 received damage increase your hp by 25%.

Thanks.
16 Sep 2015, 08:41 AM

my suggestion on it is move to both T3 and T4, so give OH player a choice, not force to go T3 to have command tank and only P4 in the game. usually in 1v1 OH player need choose between T3 and T4, because they can't afford to have both.

So whats the point locking it behind teching?
The tank cannot fight with other tanks. No one will pull a command panzer as their first vehicle. In practice you choose T3 or T4, build a normal tank, THEN call in a P4 to receive aura boost.
16 Sep 2015, 08:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2015, 08:41 AMRiCE

The tank cannot fight with other tanks. No one will pull a command panzer as their first vehicle. In practice you choose T3 or T4, build a normal tank, THEN call in a P4 to receive aura boost.

actually the command panzer is useful as your first tanks.

the main gun is still useful against any light vehicle and infantry. The extra durability make it useful as meatshield for paks/schrecks, in addition to directly boosting their durability.
16 Sep 2015, 09:07 AM

PIV will need extremely favourable RNG to even make a significant dent into any other medium, let alone kill it, however, I would certainly agree that at present it is op. Tying it to tech without applying the same treatment to all other call ins would be absurd (and fat chance of that happening), instead, I would just tweak the aura bonus downwards.
16 Sep 2015, 09:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2015, 08:41 AMRiCE

Actually, you get pak wall, command tank and stall for T4.
Its extremely old strat that only got more valid with the aura changes.

Command tank ensures your squads won't be one shotted by nades or mortars, your infantry can fend off opponents more easily, your AT guns aren't decrewed easily unless directly hit by some big guns.

So no, it does make perfect sense to get command tank as first armor and it was perfectly valid since forever.
16 Sep 2015, 09:10 AM

actually the command panzer is useful as your first tanks.

the main gun is still useful against any light vehicle and infantry. The extra durability make it useful as meatshield for paks/schrecks, in addition to directly boosting their durability.

It is good against light vehicles and infantry, yes. But is it OP because of that? I dont think so.
Its not harder to deal with than an Ostwind, and 8 CP is around T3 anyway.

I dont think its broken because of this.
16 Sep 2015, 09:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2015, 09:09 AMKatitof

Actually, you get pak wall, command tank and stall for T4.
Its extremely old strat that only got more valid with the aura changes.

Command tank ensures your squads won't be one shotted by nades or mortars, your infantry can fend off opponents more easily, your AT guns aren't decrewed easily unless directly hit by some big guns.

So no, it does make perfect sense to get command tank as first armor and it was perfectly valid since forever.

Okay, you can get it for first unit, but still its 8CP, and fights as an Ostwind. I dont think its hard to be handled because of the self-boost or the doctrinal nature.

Im not sure a PAK wall + CmdP4 is a viable tactic. Maybe in late game, yes, when you got your protection against enemy infantry too, but in early or mid game, almost 1000MP investment on pure AT is a bit too much for me to be viable...

Still, my question is:
Is the Command Panzer4 really broken? and if you think it is, then why?! Because its not locked behind tier?! or because of the +1 shot it can take against 160 damage vehicles?
16 Sep 2015, 09:52 AM

The Command P-IV is perfectly fine. I don´t want it to become a liability again, like it was in the previous patches. It costs as much as a regular P-IV and offers much wore AT capabilities, thus the aura should be effective.
16 Sep 2015, 11:50 AM

The unit is really useful now with the mid game meta. It counter everything on the field at the moment it popup + being extremely resilient to its own counter + let you skip T3 to rush T4. If I had to choose how to reduce its presence, I would make the aura an ability costing ammo with CD. Bringing a bit more decision making in it.
16 Sep 2015, 11:56 AM

It's fine, it should just die in 4 hits like a normal Panzer IV. Either lower his health to 512 or remove the buff on himself.
16 Sep 2015, 12:19 PM

It's fine, it should just die in 4 hits like a normal Panzer IV. Either lower his health to 512 or remove the buff on himself.

You have the very explanation why it doesn't die in 4 hits like a normal P4 in this very thread.
Its effective health is on panther/KV-1 level, it needs 5 penetrating hits from AT gun to die.
16 Sep 2015, 19:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2015, 12:19 PMKatitof

You have the very explanation why it doesn't die in 4 hits like a normal P4 in this very thread.
Its effective health is on panther/KV-1 level, it needs 5 penetrating hits from AT gun to die.
And the T-34/85 which has the same health as a Panther. It´s also a medium tank such as the Panzer IV. Perfectly fine.

Jeez, we are talking about the Panzer IV taking one shot more than a regular Panzer IV. You know what´s a real problem? Emplacements being immmune to their hard counters by pushing a button. But heaven forbid the Panzer IV takes a shot more to kill. For the first time in Coh2 history the vehicle is useful. But we can of course nerf it and switch back to Tiger/ Elefant meta.
16 Sep 2015, 21:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2015, 12:19 PMKatitof

Do you even read the entire post before you respond?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 74
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment