Login

russian armor

Just bring us old Stug III!

12 Nov 2014, 02:59 AM

When the stug was changed from 95 to 80 fuel, p4s were only 115 fuel, so there was alot of overlap between the two. Additionally Is2 armor was lower, ISUs were used less often and t4 was the least viable its ever been so i enjoyed getting them.

Now however their penetration is far too low to make them effective even compared to similarly priced units their pen sucks and they have no turret I think s simple penetration buff will make them worth it again so you can use them vs units like IS2s and shermans/t3476s

Mabye like ~180-140 pen? since pumas and m10s have 160-80/180-140 respectively while both cost the same fuel
Vaz
12 Nov 2014, 03:17 AM

give it tank destroyer range, which is 60, leave everything else alone.
12 Nov 2014, 03:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2014, 02:31 AMCabreza
For the price I think the StuG III performs fairly well, it's just that P4s do almost everything better. Choosing between a StuG and a P4 is like choosing between a T70 and a T34. The tank has an identity crisis in that it tries to be an all purpose assault gun in a tier that already contains a better all purpose medium tank.

Exactly.

The issue isn't so much with the StuG itself so much as it is with how it becomes available and when.
12 Nov 2014, 21:46 PM

Exactly.

The issue isn't so much with the StuG itself so much as it is with how it becomes available and when.

This is a big part of it. The StuG is actually pretty good for 80 fuel. It has 10 more pen than a P4 and shoots a lot faster, resulting in almost 10 more dps at equal ranges, plus it also has a great vet ability and bonuses that make it even more deadly, not to mention 10 more range than a P4. Just like an su-85 though, you have to baby sit it a bit and make sure it has support.
12 Nov 2014, 22:10 PM

It´s only performing somewhat adequate with the doctrinal scopes. In the days of Tiger call in being the choice for competitive gaming, scopes are non existent. The StuG doesn´t excel at anything. It´s - as others have already stated - a cheaper generalist vehicle fulfilling no specific role.

The other problem is the health. I´ve had StuGs being tackled by lone T-34/85s that just parked in front of it and won. It´s just three shots. The 50 range is pretty lame too as the gap is closed very fast by tanks pursuing it. So if the StuG is really supposed to be a glass cannon, give it 60 range.
12 Nov 2014, 22:18 PM

StuG is fine. It's supposed to be used in support not as a standalone weapon.
12 Nov 2014, 22:23 PM

i think stug should get a minor buff but not a lot because its almost at the point where it should be , perhaps some more health and a little bit better mobility but nothing else
12 Nov 2014, 22:25 PM

I'd like to see it be more of a TD again. There's too much overlap with the P4 atm
13 Nov 2014, 01:26 AM

I find it funny how the 2 original assault guns, the SU-76 and stug III, are both overshadowed by other units

I would rather not give it a penetration buff, as allied armor is already made of paper and there are already enough counters. An armor buff I think would be the best, being an assault gun an all.
14 Nov 2014, 16:21 PM

It's not only about how the StuG performs against allied armor of the same tier / game period. What if I want to use Tier 3 and the StuGs instead of the Panther? I should be able to have this option, with corresponding pros and cons: my armor would lack mobility but would be (especially if vetted) effective in defence. Currently -- especially in team games -- you are forced to go Tier 4 at all times. It is more understandable in the case of P4 / Panther -- as they are both medium tanks coming at different stages -- but the StuG fulfils a different role, so should maintain its efficiency in late-game.

This also goes for other lower-tier units, so is part of a bigger discussion on whether we need various playstyles to be viable in late-game, but buffing the StuG penetration would not break T3 balance but still allow them to be used later in game.
14 Nov 2014, 16:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2014, 02:44 AMspajn

"good" argument, conscripts are better than grenadiers then because for the same price they have more combined health.

It got most firepower as well from all the units around that price you know...

Why would I pay 80 fuel for a assault gun that does the same job as pz4 only with less health and no turret? This unit is only for fanboys of the stug or for the vet ability.

Ever considered the possibility of.... getting one of each instead of mindlessly spamming just one as if other two were magically locked forever after choosing just one?

Question should be, why would not NOT get one when you already have P4 on field?
Its still much more potent AT then P4 and yes, vet ability is still great.

I wish soviets could have that kind of synergy without resorting to doctrine reliance again.
14 Nov 2014, 16:58 PM

I think STUG is in a fine spot right now. It's assault gun role is pretty dope, and the low cost allows you to use combined arms with it without dedicating all of your resources towards tanks. Yeah alone it's not very good, but with a strong T1-T2 showing STUGs can be great. Target Weakpoint + PaKs allows you to kill even Soviet heavies into late game with just STUGs and PaKs.

Besides, they want to distinguish the roles of assault guns in this game. Jagdpanzer is already a armored dedicated anti-tank destroyer. Giving that role to the STUG as well would be a little redundant.
14 Nov 2014, 20:46 PM

Besides, they want to distinguish the roles of assault guns in this game. Jagdpanzer is already a armored dedicated anti-tank destroyer. Giving that role to the STUG as well would be a little redundant.

Except the Jagdpanzer is in a different faction, in a tier that's not meta friendly, and itself is not all that great due to it having very limited sight and mediocre accuracy.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★