Login

russian armor

The worst enemy in the game: Pathfinding

6 Aug 2014, 13:53 PM

I find that the most frustrating experience in COH2 isn't some overly powerful unit, but the pathfinding of the units in general. Especially the vehicles are bad, but since the USF was introduced, the infantry suffers more than it used to, too.
1) Vehicles tend to turn on the sport or bounce off invisible obstacles, completely stopping in the process. I lose more vehicles to bad pathing than to positioning or being outflanked.
2) Especially US infantry tends to get lost in the HQ, because the space between the buildings is very small and the models are blocking themselves. I had several second delays until the last retreating model finally found his way to the correct building and the squad was commandable, and gearing up your units in maps where you start at the bottom is a nightmare.

As with my other complaint about artillery, I'm perfectly aware of the possibility that it's just my micro that sucks and that there is some super-effective way of handling vehicles correctly to avoid the problem. If so, please tell me, because I don't want to be frustrated quite that often playing the game anymore.
6 Aug 2014, 13:58 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Yep, it's pretty atrocious.
6 Aug 2014, 14:20 PM

Especially the late tank game could be so much fun with USF ... a Sherman / Jakson group against the heavy German tanks!
if only ... if only the biggest enemy was not there....pathfinding:(

6 Aug 2014, 16:09 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

my favorite is when you give a reverse order on the other side of a gap that is not quite wide enough for your tank to go through.

Solution? Rotate 180 degrees in place, exposing your rear to the enemy. Then, reverse toward the enemy to take a suicidal detour around whatever obstacle is in the way.
6 Aug 2014, 16:16 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Pathfinders OP, plz nerf.

For the moment, i just want the "go forward then reverse" bug.
6 Aug 2014, 16:24 PM

yea the pathfinding needs ALOT or work. also maybe a hold fire for all tanks if they are going to be this stupid and shoot at infantry when you are trying to line up a shot on a tank. the fucking kubel is the drunkest of them all. he is so drunk that the driving has made me not build him anymore. kingtigers will sometimes stop and turn its REAR to the enemies when you press reverse because of a log or stick or hole. RELIC GET TO WORK ON THIS CRAP. oh, yea the american base is a maze for your rifles, its working as intended.
6 Aug 2014, 16:28 PM

When I command soldiers into green cover, I often get a response like this, "Hah, what are they gonna do? Shoot me?"

Thus ending the life of one of my shot soldiers who ran out of cover.
6 Aug 2014, 16:39 PM

Another enemy of tanks is the points, if the tank reverse paths collide with a flag point, it just become stuck there waiting to get zooked in the face, like this
6 Aug 2014, 16:40 PM

Thats true. yesterday I played coh1 and the pathfinding was much better.... the back gear is great but mostly the tanks do what they want. Driving around a tree can need 5 sec.
6 Aug 2014, 16:42 PM

Another enemy of tanks is the points, if the tank reverse paths collide with a flag point, it just become stuck there waiting to get zooked in the face, like this

fuck i thought i just had bad luck the one time i reversed into a point. only i was running from jackson and t34's with a kingtiger. lets just say i now avoid points with tanks.
Hux
6 Aug 2014, 16:43 PM
Patrion 14

I have myself encountered laughable instances where you have a tank that takes a hit after which you order a quick reverse move, nothing happens so you issue a forward move command to get out of dodge before it dies only for the tank to start reversing, at which point you try to order another reverse move to continue and the damn thing starts to move forward.. then gets wasted..

You know it's a sad state of affairs when the units aren't keeping up with my micro...

I'd really love to see some of that WFA profit go into paying some of the programmers some overtime to get these issues fixed. That would be nice.
6 Aug 2014, 16:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2014, 16:09 PMRomeo
my favorite is when you give a reverse order on the other side of a gap that is not quite wide enough for your tank to go through.

Solution? Rotate 180 degrees in place, exposing your rear to the enemy. Then, reverse toward the enemy to take a suicidal detour around whatever obstacle is in the way.

meh i have noticed that kingtigers just rotate 180 degress because of shell holes or part of tree that usually units just push, but no, the 70 ton kingtiger CANNOT push it. it must go around the log. so very frustrating.

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2014, 16:43 PMHux

I'd really love to see some of that WFA profit go into paying some of the programmers some overtime to get these issues fixed. That would be nice.

i got banned from the official forums for saying they needed to work overtime to fix the lag and connection issues of pvp when coh2 very first came out and it was lag fest. be careful what you say. but i totally agree that relic should be putting in more than 8 hour days to fix the huge amount of bugs, drops that are now happening since wf release, and pathfinding. instead they will work those 8 hours to make new commanders with new bugs and new vehicles with even worse pathfinding.
7 Aug 2014, 03:27 AM

Pumas make me lol they spin on the spot haha.

yeah the tanks are bad I mean wtf ive lost so many tanks to the pathing I dunno how cant fix this lol.
7 Aug 2014, 03:43 AM

For me it seems tanks only obey the reverse command if they feel like it. Several times I had them sloooowly turn around and expose their rear, usually getting turned to scrap as a result. Especially when trying to micro extremely fragile things like the Jackson, or ponderous behemoths like the ISU or Tiger, it's endlessly annoying.
7 Aug 2014, 04:24 AM

There have been several occasions when I've accidentally hit the "evacuate crwe from vehicle" hotkey instead of the "Reverse" hotkey.
7 Aug 2014, 04:39 AM

The pathfinding in this game is EASILY both the worst and most frustrating thing about this game.

nee
7 Aug 2014, 05:28 AM

I agree: I find that ever since June 24th my vehicles have a ridiculously short threshhold for reverse. Six feet behind you does not warrant turn the entire vehicle around.

Even the USF HMG guy runs a very wide turning radius when retreating.
7 Aug 2014, 05:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Aug 2014, 05:28 AMnee
Even the USF HMG guy runs a very wide turning radius when retreating.

I think he's actually "pushing" an invisible HMG around, which is why he does that. It's also possibly why the M2 sets up and packs up so fast. I never thought to try and rotate it though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★