Login

russian armor

M26 Pershing

PAGES (9)down
25 Jul 2014, 03:46 AM

Only 20 M26 were deployed to Europe in WW2, compared to 254 M4A3E2's. That's 12 Jumbo's for every Pershing, and Jumbos were sent much earlier. M26's only arrived in 1945.
25 Jul 2014, 03:51 AM

Once again, the history argument doesn't really matter. But for the record it's 20 Pershings that *saw combat*, not 20 deployed. It was closer to 200 deployed, but most of them didn't ever see action.
25 Jul 2014, 03:54 AM

I think it's silly that the USF doesn't have one commander that is heavy armor just because it's "against their faction design"

For one, that is an opinionated statement since you didn't design the faction. In my opinion, if the commander is done properly, it doesn't go against the faction.

For two, it's absurd even if that were true because there's Soviet and OKH commanders that go against faction design and you could argue some OKW ones too

4 tanks come to mind

The pershing is the most obvious followed by the jumbo 75. Jumbo 75 is like a KV1

Jumbo 76 is a "pershinglite". It was really rare but real and it's in MoW AS 2, which is more realistic than CoH 2. Jumbo76 is superior to the Tiger in that game, but inferior to the panther. The m26 should be equal to the panther and slightly superior than the tiger, on paper (sloped armor vs flat, yet similar gun).

The m18 hellcat is the final addition but it might be redundant. It's a faster/weaker m10 but only barely on both
25 Jul 2014, 03:56 AM

I still advocate the M4A3E2 Jumbo as a breakthrough vehicle, rather than the rarer Pershing which wasn't the staple of US Forces in WW2, unlike the Sherman.

The Jadgtiger was even less rare then the Pershing and it's in the game. When every faction has a super heavy breakthrough vehicle the Americans deserve to have one as they are the hardest faction to play atm.
25 Jul 2014, 03:56 AM

I would honestly be okay with a Jumbo Sherman. I guess I just want to see US armor that doesn't have to be spammed to be effective late game.

That and Rangers. Rangers were great.
25 Jul 2014, 04:01 AM

For one, that is an opinionated statement since you didn't design the faction.

for one, that was a relic dev who said it wasnt going to happen. relic did design the faction
25 Jul 2014, 04:03 AM

I wonder how Jumbos would be designed - only one of the two versions being designed - or both as two seperate units - or starting as a 75 and getting an upgrade to a 76 for... 80-120 muni, for instance.
25 Jul 2014, 04:10 AM

I would honestly be okay with a Jumbo Sherman. I guess I just want to see US armor that doesn't have to be spammed to be effective late game.

That and Rangers. Rangers were great.

Rangers would go great with a Jumbo, Assault Infantry with an Assault Tank. Assault Doctrine? :P
25 Jul 2014, 04:22 AM

Rangers would go great with a Jumbo, Assault Infantry with an Assault Tank. Assault Doctrine? :P

"Axis Headache Doctrine"

Ruin the morale of the enemy by fielding slow, heavily armored tanks alongside experienced and well equipped ranger squads.
25 Jul 2014, 05:53 AM

I think it's silly that the USF doesn't have one commander that is heavy armor just because it's "against their faction design"

For one, that is an opinionated statement since you didn't design the faction. In my opinion, if the commander is done properly, it doesn't go against the faction.

For two, it's absurd even if that were true because there's Soviet and OKH commanders that go against faction design and you could argue some OKW ones too

GameSpot: So tell me about the two new factions coming in The Western Front Armies.

Quinn Duffy: We have two new armies that have designed from the ground up, the US Forces and German OberKommando West, so a new American army and a new German army. The American army is very flexible, versatile, and focuses on mobility. They don’t have anything too hard-hitting, but they do have a lot of gameplay elements built around their versatility and mobility. The OKW, on the other hand, are extremely hard-hitting with a lot of veteran infantry units, super heavy tanks, and technological advances--but they're also a hard army to sustain because their economy was under a lot of pressure at this point in the war.

That was our starting point for these armies in terms of making them feel unique compared to the other armies in the game.

USF isn't going to get a heavy tank.
25 Jul 2014, 05:59 AM

I dont see why not. OKW is meant to have Elite units yet they have a doctrine with P4s.

Hint: vet5

Why not a doctrine with the Pershing?

http://blogs.companyofheroes.com/2014/06/13/company-of-heroes-2-the-western-front-armies-tank-audio-recording/

The Chaffee and Pershing tanks weren’t really vehicles that were going to be in our game but we felt they offered a unique recording opportunity. The Chaffee had twin Cadillac engines which were found in various vehicles in the war and the twin turbo of the Pershing we felt might translate well to some of the heavier German tanks.
25 Jul 2014, 05:59 AM

why not...SUPER PERSHING!

25 Jul 2014, 06:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2014, 04:01 AMwooof

for one, that was a relic dev who said it wasnt going to happen. relic did design the faction

I don't see a Relic dev in this thread and I don't see anything definitive. Relic said they weren't really planning on having the m26 in the game. But that doesn't mean they can't change their mind

USF isn't going to get a heavy tank.

Duffy's interview said nothing about having a heavy tank in the future (or not having a heavy tank in the future). AFAWK the door is open, especially given their willingness to experiment.

It's silly to have a faction without a single heavy tank, even if it is the jumbo. Imagine a faction without artillery or elite infantry. USF only have 1 call in doctrinal elite infantry, but they do have it.

I'm not sure a unit that was used only once fits well into this game. That said, the Sturmtiger is close
25 Jul 2014, 06:20 AM

Only if Panzer VIII Maus :D
25 Jul 2014, 06:33 AM

Would be nice if future commanders added a Pershing tank. I don't get why people wouldn't want it in for more variety and play style choices.
25 Jul 2014, 06:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2014, 06:33 AMvarunax
Would be nice if future commanders added a Pershing tank. I don't get why people wouldn't want it in for more variety and play style choices.

This is exactly my point. We could easily have a USF commander that is weak besides the m26, to keep the game balanced.

"Heavy Assault Company" (CP values are relative and made up on the spot)

2 CP: withdraw and refit ability
3 CP: all vehicle crews and vehicles spawn with vet
9 CP: M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman 75mm
10 CP: 76mm Shermans-upgrade individual Shermans to 76mm for 120 ammo each (not the jumbo)
12 CP: M26

It wouldn't be good in 1v1 but it would give the USF a chance in 4v4 if the game lasts to the late game (which is typical of 4v4 games)
25 Jul 2014, 06:41 AM

Don't worry, we have Nazi wunderwaffen like the IR HT and infra red scopes in daytime so we can have the SUPER PERSHING.

Men of War Assault Squad 2 has everything- including the super pershing.

This is exactly my point. We could easily have a USF commander that is weak besides the m26, to keep the game balanced.

"Heavy Assault Company" (CP values are relative and made up on the spot)

2 CP: withdraw and refit ability
3 CP: all vehicle crews and vehicles spawn with vet
9 CP: M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman 75mm
10 CP: 76mm Shermans-upgrade individual Shermans to 76mm for 120 ammo each (not the jumbo)
12 CP: M26

It wouldn't be good in 1v1 but it would give the USF a chance in 4v4 if the game lasts to the late game (which is typical of 4v4 games)

"We can have a weak commander to make it balanced"

*suggests commander with 5 extremely powerful abilities*

Are you serious?

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2014, 06:33 AMvarunax

From experience, it would be abused into teching into tier 1 or 2 (or both) into Pershing. Performance of callins vastly beat that of stock units, so its better to ignore the tank tiers and skip straight into the callin. The Pershing, probably being one of the only tough USF tanks (i can only think of a possible only 3), will suffer the same fate.

Variety is but an excuse.
25 Jul 2014, 06:42 AM

I just don't really get the reasoning that USF is supposed to be a light armored faction that hits and run. If so, the M18 Hellcat should've been in the game considering it's the fastest tank destroyer of WWII.
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS