Login

russian armor

OKW Unit list

9 Jun 2014, 16:40 PM

Ubersoldaten also means Super Soldiers, she tried to tell me that's the word I was looking for before I explained why I asked.

She have no idea.
9 Jun 2014, 16:54 PM

I know what a Knights Cross is. I was talking about the CoH1 unit though:

I know you were referring to the CoH1 unit. Again, that unit has no specific relationship to the Waffen-SS, which is also clearly shown by some of the distinctive Wehrmacht uniform aspects in that screenshot.
9 Jun 2014, 16:55 PM

I know you were referring to the CoH1 unit. Again, that unit has no specific relationship to the Waffen-SS, which is also clearly shown by some of the distinctive Wehrmacht uniform aspects in that screenshot.

I'm not talking about the Waffen-SS, I don't know why you keep bringing them up.

I'm saying that compared to "Knights Cross Holders", "Obersoldaten" isn't the most unusual thing they've come up with.
9 Jun 2014, 17:06 PM

The use of 'Ober' is similar to the use of 'senior'. Like 'senior sgt' in Red Army.

The user of 'Unter' is same as 'Junior'.

So there are ranks in this order: Senior Sgt., Sgt., Junior Sgt.

I pretty much see obersoldaten as translating into "veteran soldiers" rather than a particular rank.
9 Jun 2014, 19:04 PM
Patrion 14

So it roughly translates to First Class Privates?
9 Jun 2014, 19:10 PM

Who cares what it translates to,what is important is how good these mg 34s are against BARs and dp guards.
9 Jun 2014, 19:32 PM

I'm not talking about the Waffen-SS, I don't know why you keep bringing them up.

I'm saying that compared to "Knights Cross Holders", "Obersoldaten" isn't the most unusual thing they've come up with.

In the context of those posts before you, you seemed to agree with the notion that the name "Obersoldaten" is poorly chosen as it implies Waffen-SS controversies.

Either way, what is in a name? Not much, as long as it does not break any international and/or local laws and does not deviate too much from reality. There weren't any regiments with just KCHs, or just Obersoldaten, or just grenadiers with MG42's etc etc. Yet it is perfectly fine to create a CoH squad out of them for the sake of the game.
9 Jun 2014, 19:39 PM

I have a degree in German, German History and studied the Wehrmacht. My German friends speaks German as a native. We both say it has no direct connection with the SS.

People who don't speak German see "Ober" and decide it's like "UEBER". It's not.

If someone says "I think Obersoldaten is a stupid name" but that peson does not speak German, then that person is stupid. Would anyone agree with me there?
9 Jun 2014, 19:53 PM

I think this is the obersoldaten's autumn camo coat. It is a white/orange reversible:

There is another SS unit in the screenshot with the Jagdtigers. They are wearing the same clothing as SS troops in autumn/winter of 1944 in the west (including Ardennes offensive).

9 Jun 2014, 19:55 PM

I thought it was weird when I put it into Google Translate and got "Top Soldiers" back, but from asking Germans it seems to make more sense with their answers. I asked another person, they said "high rank soldiers" fits it best.
9 Jun 2014, 20:00 PM

Its just a general name for soldiers. Its not like each squad is "5th rifles, Lieutenant **** and co." Its just a summary of what the squad does. Obersoldaten are simply Obersoldaten. Nothing hints their origin or placement, they are just better than troops around them.
9 Jun 2014, 20:07 PM

What rifle is that on the Right?
9 Jun 2014, 20:12 PM

^^

I'm guessing a M1 carbine jacked from US armored cavalry troops.

The illustration is inspired by iconic photos of SS Adolf Hitler's ambush of a US armored Cal unit with Panzer Grenadiers and Jagdpanzer IVs during the first stage of the bulge.

The two men on the right are the same as the two in the photo reel:

9 Jun 2014, 20:55 PM

What rifle is that on the Right?

It is supposed to be a Gewehr 43, it looks a lot like the M1 carbine.
10 Jun 2014, 01:29 AM

^
100% sure it's a carbine:

These are very famous bulge photos (that the illustrator copied) :)

There are two men, one with MP40 and the other with a carbine. G43 rifle is considerably larger and longer.

Overview of the Poteau ambush.:

10 Jun 2014, 06:09 AM

Its about anything SS related(including "just names") is banned in half of europe countries as well as Australia, which would result in game ban in these countries.ause it suited the game better then what original IP offered, I'm talking Force Commander here).

Nazi related materials are *not* banned in Australia. Plenty of games and other media use swastikas and make liberal use of Nazi symbolism including violent videogames (Wolfenstein: TNO came out mere weeks ago and was uncensored in Australia) or comedies (i.e. Iron Sky comes from Australia).

Germany is a fairly large market for PC games and is the main reason behind avoiding the use of Nazi symbols.
10 Jun 2014, 21:57 PM

I am historian and a German native speaker; "Obersoldaten" sounds very alien to say the least and was not used, informally or otherwise, during WW2 or in the Bundeswehr for that matter. "Ober" is indeed used as a prefix to designate certain ranks, ie. "Obergefreiter, Oberschütze", but "Obersoldat" still comes out very odd. If they wanted to go for some teutonic flavour and still avoid the pitfalls of Nazi/SS terminolgy, ie. "Stoßtrupp" (catch-all term for assault group, raiding party etc. which was commonplace in the Heer as well) would have been much better IMO.
10 Jun 2014, 22:02 PM

The problem with that is few people would actually be able to type that due to it containing a letter that doesn't exist in the English language.
10 Jun 2014, 22:05 PM

Why not call them Sturmgrenadiers or something like this?
10 Jun 2014, 22:06 PM

The problem with that is few people would actually be able to type that due to it containing a letter that doesn't exist in the English language.

Stosstrupp?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS