Login

russian armor

This patch killed Katyusha and Werfer

14 May 2014, 12:01 PM

Also there is 25% more incoming accuracy on weapon teams since last patch (MGs, mortars, ZIS and PAKs), who knows does it affect katty?werfer barrages?
14 May 2014, 12:04 PM

Also there is 25% more incoming accuracy on weapon teams since last patch (MGs, mortars, ZIS and PAKs), who knows does it affect katty?werfer barrages?

Indirect weapons don't target entities, but ground, therefore no accuracy bonus other then the scatter on range one applies.

If you want to be deadly and accurate with pwerfer and katy, drive them closer.
At vet2 they are very much usable at max range.
14 May 2014, 14:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 May 2014, 12:04 PMKatitof

Indirect weapons don't target entities, but ground, therefore no accuracy bonus other then the scatter on range one applies.

If you want to be deadly and accurate with pwerfer and katy, drive them closer.
At vet2 they are very much usable at max range.

The problem is keeping them alive till they reach vet 2. Driving a Kat near the engagement area is like asking for a flanking Puma or 222 to kill it. 222 can kill a Kat at 1 burst, puma with 3 shots.
14 May 2014, 14:31 PM

If you're in position where you feel like needing kat/pwerfer, then opponents army comp isn't rather well built for such quick skirsmish but he is rather entrenched with setup weapons and heavier armor.
14 May 2014, 15:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 May 2014, 14:31 PMKatitof
If you're in position where you feel like needing kat/pwerfer, then opponents army comp isn't rather well built for such quick skirsmish but he is rather entrenched with setup weapons and heavier armor.

Kind of...but not completely. If my opponent has a good mix of forces I may need a kat to take out key support teams while my other units move in. Getting it close to the target is simply not an option. Good players are always going to have a very diverse mix of support and frontline units. Frequently I maintain a detached force of 1-3 units that are capable of plugging gaps or exploiting openings rapidly. If someone moved a kat in close these are the units I would use to attack it before it could escape.

More importantly if you run into an elephant and you have no doctrinal arty (which is many commanders), no guards, and need to damage it, the kat is supposed to be able to do some damage to the elephant. In its current state it is simply impotent until vet 2, which means getting vet 2 is hard, which means you never get to use the kat as it is intended.

I was winning a 4v4 yesterday so I only built kats to play with the unit. Even with four firing simultaneously at the same infantry target, at max range they frequently failed to kill it. They did little to no damage to tanks, and were ineffective at decrewing paks. Mg42 teams often took two barrages of four kats at max range to fully decrew.
14 May 2014, 17:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Katy at least has an area denial funtionality. The surprise barrage of the PW generally doesnt pay for itself in time.
14 May 2014, 19:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge

More importantly if you run into an elephant and you have no doctrinal arty (which is many commanders), no guards, and need to damage it, the kat is supposed to be able to do some damage to the elephant.

Um, what?
14 May 2014, 19:36 PM

Here. Even this wouldn't satisfy you guys.

What's the red button on the back of the truck?
14 May 2014, 19:45 PM

Um, what?

I think he don't know that katiusha have worse penetration then PTRS and PTRS will do a whooping nothing to ele.
14 May 2014, 21:41 PM

You can make fun of my comment if you wish, but the Kat is supposed to provide you with a help to defeat the elephant. If you are T4 you need a long range unit to wear down the elephant, the kat can fill that role.

Yes penetration is worse, but they can prevent elephant from being repaired and force it to move. They also let you know where it is in the FOW.
14 May 2014, 21:50 PM

That help doesn't include targeting ele, because it will do a whooping ZERO to it. It might help clearing PaKs or MGs, but if you are T4 against ele, you have lost already anyway.

And regarding your last line, you need to know exactly where it is in the first place.
14 May 2014, 21:59 PM

You can make fun of my comment if you wish, but the Kat is supposed to provide you with a help to defeat the elephant. If you are T4 you need a long range unit to wear down the elephant, the kat can fill that role.

Yes penetration is worse, but they can prevent elephant from being repaired and force it to move. They also let you know where it is in the FOW.

That in black
14 May 2014, 23:27 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post14 May 2014, 09:37 AMPorygon

The purpose of those arty is to clear out your so called ATG and MG walls stalemate, I believe the reason why Relic nerfing the arty just because of these stupid noobs posting nonsense all around the forums.

feel free to link me a video of some topplayer games in coh2 that has ended in stalemate so far.
15 May 2014, 01:23 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

That in black

Theres a difference from what he said on his previous comments.

More importantly if you run into an elephant and you have no doctrinal arty (which is many commanders), no guards, and need to damage it, the kat is supposed to be able to do some damage to the elephant.

15 May 2014, 01:30 AM

Kat never was good, ever. If you were lucky every now and then you could get some decent barrages with it, that doesn't make it a good and reliable unit. Panzerwerfer was very good. I would say it was OP if it wasn't insanely easy to kill. Katyusha just needed better accuracy and faster fire rate to make it more in line with the Panzerwerfer, and maybe both could have used a slight increase to the cooldown.
15 May 2014, 02:17 AM
Patrion 14

then in the same sense, panzerwerfer is soft counter to isu?
15 May 2014, 08:23 AM

I think that the last patch messed basically the german arty units. Soviet ones always sucked. Now they are in the same level. You can still kill units with them but only if the enemy has a lot of units crammed in a close area. Maybe a small buff for both of them would be nice but I really dont want to see the werfer to what it was.
15 May 2014, 09:27 AM
Patrion 14

Kat never was good, ever. If you were lucky every now and then you could get some decent barrages with it, that doesn't make it a good and reliable unit. Panzerwerfer was very good. I would say it was OP if it wasn't insanely easy to kill. Katyusha just needed better accuracy and faster fire rate to make it more in line with the Panzerwerfer, and maybe both could have used a slight increase to the cooldown.

The last patch increased the cooldown for both. The Kat, for the first time in its existence, now reloads faster than the Panzerwerfer, which does compensate for its low accuracy and lower lethality.

Still love the joke in the patch notes: "Katyusha

The increased recharge timer offsets higher than desired artillery saturation. Its recharge is still lower than the Panzerwerfer to better represent its distributed saturation.
Recharge time from 60 to 70"

They seem better balanced than before.
15 May 2014, 18:21 PM

I don't think they're balanced. Last time I used a Katyusha, I tried to use it to counter Assault Grenadier / Panzergrenadier blobbing. Dispite firing into the heart of the mob several times, I ended up with single digit kills.
15 May 2014, 19:56 PM

The last patch increased the cooldown for both.

I know. It did need a slightly increased cooldown, it was increased too much though. And Katyusha is pretty bad, you can barrage directly on a huge blob and get just a few kills like Someguy said. It needs to fire all its rockets in rapid succession, and if its still weak compared to the Panzerfwerfer then it could use a bit of a accuracy buff too.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★