Login

russian armor

A flame problem

21 Mar 2014, 00:04 AM

Like Aero said, get some indirect fire, even just a mortar will bait the KV-8 in, try to have a tellar ready on approach and a Stug, use target weak point with your Stug AND Pak... having two lots of target weak point, and hopefully a tellar hit, should allow the Stug to finish it.

Its key to draw the KV8 just slightly out of protection of the ZiS, which indirect fire is a perfect bait and Stug has nice range, so can sit waaay back from ZiS fire.
21 Mar 2014, 00:09 AM

Charlie...I was being a wise ass (hint hint Panther)
21 Mar 2014, 02:26 AM

RNG baby. I have 0 problems with clearing out even multiple Paks with a KV8.

Now if only there were an always available counter to the KV8.....

Elefant :P

Nah but really Elefant and Pak 43 are the only things likely to hurt it even half as fast as it will hurt you. High health, high armour, high DPS. If you don't have very heavy AT (Pak 43) or strong vehicle based AT (Panther or Elefant), you're in for a bad time.
21 Mar 2014, 19:34 PM

Elefant :P

Nah but really Elefant and Pak 43 are the only things likely to hurt it even half as fast as it will hurt you. High health, high armour, high DPS. If you don't have very heavy AT (Pak 43) or strong vehicle based AT (Panther or Elefant), you're in for a bad time.

Got any good replays of the Elephant just owning anything? Because all the hubub and QQ about it and in EVERY 2v2 I have faced the Ele I just LOLd the crap out of that thing.

And I am about middle skill level. Panther < Elephant IMHO.

Hell last game I made it run home with its Tail between its legs because of Partisan Tank Hunters of all things....
21 Mar 2014, 22:58 PM

And in theory, Shock Troops can lose to Grenadiers. Shocktroops UP?

The probability of a Pak beating a KV-8 is less than a Panzer IV beating a T-34/85, or an IS-2 beating a Tiger.

For a KV-8 to lose point blank to a Pak 40 (assuming you aren't jerking us around with vague language again), the least resistance would be for the Pak to penetrate every shot, while the Flamethrower registers nearly every tick as a 'miss', for dozens of seconds in a row.

Put the crack down, it makes you see things that aren't there and are arguing yourself here.

I've said it happened, absolutely nothing more, the rest is your imagination that your getting so worked out for.
22 Mar 2014, 02:30 AM

Got any good replays of the Elephant just owning anything? Because all the hubub and QQ about it and in EVERY 2v2 I have faced the Ele I just LOLd the crap out of that thing.

I don't, I was just making a joke. The Elefant does 320 damage, so it's one of the few things that can scare away the 960HP KV-8, if it can penetrate it.

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Mar 2014, 22:58 PMKatitof
I've said it happened, absolutely nothing more

Then why did you even bring it up if you knew it wasn't relevant in any way? It's not a valid concern, you just said so yourself. So why bring it up?
22 Mar 2014, 09:06 AM

But the KV8 has very short range, so get it fuasted, then keep the fk away with Inf, while using tanks, preferably a stug, to chip away at it, use target weak point and mines.. use its slow speed and short range against it.
22 Mar 2014, 13:55 PM

But the KV8 has very short range, so get it fuasted, then keep the fk away with Inf, while using tanks, preferably a stug, to chip away at it, use target weak point and mines.. use its slow speed and short range against it.

Charlie it actually has a decent chance to bounce a faust frontally. That not to say that I havent had bad RNG and had mine fausted every 5 mins but wow what happens to the poor patriotic digital soldier with the faust....
22 Mar 2014, 18:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Unless you use disposable Osstruppen, you dont want to send vet2/3 grens against a KV8
22 Mar 2014, 18:46 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Unless you use disposable Osstruppen, you dont want to send vet2/3 grens against a KV8
24 Mar 2014, 04:56 AM

Osttruppen will die much much faster, you'll probably lose the entire squad and be lucky if the 'faust even gets fired.
25 Mar 2014, 09:08 AM

My opinion is that its a flame tank that in my experience comes out about the same time as a P4... and the P4 is far better at destroying a KV-8 than a KV-8 is of killing a P4. So it's not like a Flame HT which is capable of arrive before the Soviet player has any effective AT.
So, it's ability to annihilate infantry squads is okay... in that what else is it good for? FWIW the Elefant is in a similar role and we don't have too many complaints about it annihilating Soviet Vet armour... (if there is any). The problem is as we see that vet German infantry gets annihilated (possibly) in a single burst from the KV-8 if things go badly.
The problem as I see it with the KV-8 is that it's the CoH2 equivalent of a suicide bomber. It has massive damage to certain units and its health and armour allows it to take massive damage from its equivalent counters and it comes before larger counters such as Panthers/Elefants etc. There's very little (apart from a riegel mine) which is guaranteed of stopping it and those which can do so too late to prevent full retreats or squad wipes. Basically the KV-8 is the ultimate breakthrough weapon because its able to charge and throw the whole German's line into disarray.
The problem with the KV-8 and any nerfs or buffs to it is that it is very delicate. Too good and we need only look a this thread. Too weak, and it goes the way of Penals and the like. Indeed, Penals are a pretty decent infantry equivalent to a KV-8...
Honestly, I don't know what can be done to fix the KV-8. German squad size changes might be an option, but that's a bit much just for one unit. Flame Weapon mechanics changes could render it to uselessness as well... Probably, as with so many other units and abilities in the game, it just needs to be taken away and something actually balanced and useful (SU-100, ISU-122, KV-85, IS-85, T-35 (now that would be awesome!)) can be put in the game instead...
For the moment, it'll have to come down to the balls of the German commander to stop it... Teller/Rigel Mines, Target Weakpoint, even panzershreks (which have the same range as a tank gun it appears) should do the trick, the shreks are a bit dicey even so...
25 Mar 2014, 09:17 AM

My opinion is that its a flame tank that in my experience comes out about the same time as a P4

You're slow to build P4s then if you can not get one sooner then 16th minute of the game.
Not addressing the rest as this was the most noticable 'mistake' you've made.
25 Mar 2014, 10:13 AM

hello,
i tried kv8 once it was enough
http://youtu.be/ALkaTm-pae8?t=1m
25 Mar 2014, 11:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2014, 09:17 AMKatitof

You're slow to build P4s then if you can not get one sooner then 16th minute of the game.
Not addressing the rest as this was the most noticable 'mistake' you've made.

Mere details, do the points I've made still stand even if I got that detail incorrect? Of course they do.
25 Mar 2014, 13:01 PM

Mere details, do the points I've made still stand even if I got that detail incorrect? Of course they do.

Some of your other comments are OK, and you're warning that nerfing the KV8 could relegate them to Penal statis is true, but you are badly incorrect about P4 and that is a critical point.

Also FHT should arrive at around same time as guards or certainly after you have AT nades on conscripts. You can also place mines immediately as soviets to try to catch one as well.

Flames are hard to balance because of the flame crits they can inflict randomly. Without a steady stream of damage flames will always be able to randomly light a vet 3 squad up on the first burst. This is really a core issue.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 85
Poland 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment