Login

russian armor

Self-Imposed thread blackout?

26 Jul 2023, 18:53 PM

If CoH 3 did anything to this site, it most assuredly killed the threads. Everyone's talking in the shoutbox now.

So that's it? Everyone's so confident that everything that needed to be said about CoH 3 has been said? Everything else is just screaming into the void and not even worth dignifying with a post? Am I the only one who comprehends how depressing this is?
26 Jul 2023, 18:56 PM

Is this the sunset for CoH2.org? Are these the twilight hours while the wick burns down to the base of the candle? Fighting for air with the hot wax that's closing in on all sides?

Is it too late to rebrand the site? Lmfao.
26 Jul 2023, 19:22 PM

Until ppl give a shit about coh3 balance, yeah its crickets here

I was kinda late to this forum during coh2 hayday, but pretty sure the balance convos were most of its activity then

Might make a balance thread one of these days, but need to play more. Assuming my pc can handle whatever relic just did in the patch
26 Jul 2023, 19:23 PM

It is what it is.
26 Jul 2023, 19:52 PM

i can remember like 30 Balance threads about penal battalion from people with no clue about the game. this way it's way more tidy

also it could be a hint that the overall balance of coh3 is good
26 Jul 2023, 20:15 PM

It's hard to even get at the balance of the game when so many other aspects of it are broken. My impression seems to be that, with the veritable mountain of other issues aside, the game falls into the pretty standard RTS model of having only one or two viable strategies per faction - I'm sure the majority of people don't really care about this too much. Any RTS game (or competitive activity, for that matter) will have a meta, the nuance comes in how defined or restrictive that meta is. Company of Heroes 2 had major problems with this from its early days, but the community balance patches introduced an environment where you could get away with odd or unconventional strategies, and for the most part, you weren't restricted to a well-defined build order.

Company of Heroes 3, in this respect, is just plain boring. The reduction of individual squad modularity in favour of reintroducing global upgrades was a major step backwards, and combat overall feels very dull. The dust hasn't settled from release yet so there are still cases where an outlier unit is defining a faction's response to a number of threats and leading to scenarios where some units never see the light of day. No lessons were learned, apparently, nor was pre-release feedback taken into account.

The real reason, though, that I think these forums are somewhat dead is that the game is mostly dead. The release drove away a large portion of the long-time members of the community, and the continued poor quality of the patch efforts hasn't exactly encouraged others to stick around. It's very quickly dwindling to a small number of sycophants and a deluded few who think that Relic is going to pull a miracle out of their ass. I would love to be proven absolutely wrong, but I think that's just not going to happen. Either way, there's not really much to talk about, other than the fact that the game is circling the drain. Those watching a car crash don't usually have much to say in the moment either.
26 Jul 2023, 20:28 PM

On top of that, there still is no replay or obs mode to see any cool strats from the competetive environment, even though AE is pouring his heart into it.

Sure there is the potato workaround, but it sucks and I dont watch that shit.

There is just nothing to talk about anymore except that Relic is incompetent and managed to completly disregard any learned lessons and trying to appeal to new markets with the focus on tactical pause, 2 half assed campaigns, gutted Team game MP experience (the core audience), a scummy console release and lack in direction
26 Jul 2023, 22:47 PM

Until ppl give a shit about coh3 balance, yeah its crickets here

It's always gonna be crickets here, because as I've said before, traditional gaming forums are
D E A D, why do you not realize this? Gaming forums have this 2000's vibe, everybody moved to Discord or Reddit by now. It's also why nobody bothered to make a coh3.org.

It's crazy how there is people who think the lack of activity on this site has anything to do with CoH3 or how bad it is :rofl: If the game is bad, then there would be MUCH activity, not few. Because then there is MUCH to complain about.

The official CoH3 discord alone had over 500 new messages in the last 30 minutes. So yeah, coh2.org surely must be dead because nobody cares about CoH3. That's the reason :rolleyes:
27 Jul 2023, 00:20 AM

Thing about Discord and Reddit is it's a lot easier to moderate and control the narrative. Take a look at some of the bullshit posts on Reddit and the official forums for reference. So naturally there's going to be a drive for developers to communicate on those platforms where they can be reasonably certain that they're on home ground.

That being said, if we're talking coh2.org specifically, yes, there's been a downtick in activity pretty much since the last Company of Heroes 2 balance patch. But you have your head in the sand if you think the current state of affairs is at all unrelated to the state of Company of Heroes 3. The drop-off has been pretty noticeable, hence the thread.

I dunno why you keep making these gaslight-y posts where you keep repeating the same tired stuff about how this was the same as Company of Heroes 2's launch. A lot of us were there for that launch - most people, I think, aren't so deluded that they can't see the difference right there in front of them.
27 Jul 2023, 01:41 AM

It's crazy how there is people who think the lack of activity on this site has anything to do with CoH3 or how bad it is :rofl: If the game is bad, then there would be MUCH activity, not few. Because then there is MUCH to complain about.

The official CoH3 discord alone had over 500 new messages in the last 30 minutes. So yeah, coh2.org surely must be dead because nobody cares about CoH3. That's the reason :rolleyes:

Dude that is not at all what i meant. I didnt say ppl dont care about coh3..... I literally care about coh3.... I'm talking balance discussions specifically

I meant that coh2.orgs popularity was directly related to balance convos (that could be wrong, i wasnt here for most of coh2), and I think that coh 3 is so incomplete that balance is only a partial concern right now. As opposed to coh2 where the biggest problem was dlc commanders breaking the balance every few months. That problem is a distant future for coh3 at best

And I think discord and reddit are better for lots of things, but organized balance convos isnt one of them. Are ppl having balance discussions there? Dont rly use reddit much but i use discord quite often. Tracking a balance convo in a discord server sounds impossible
27 Jul 2023, 04:17 AM

Uhh... I was on the official Discord for like two days. I was going back in forth with what I would describe as a potato. Literally a person without enough brain power to make rational thoughts. And the mods were giving me shit because I was like "Dude just give one single argument that defends your position... you can do it. I have faith in ya little buddy." he could not do it. Drooling protozoa have more intelligence. I left that Discord. No intelligent life there at all.
27 Jul 2023, 04:24 AM

Thing about Discord and Reddit is it's a lot easier to moderate and control the narrative. Take a look at some of the bullshit posts on Reddit and the official forums for reference. So naturally there's going to be a drive for developers to communicate on those platforms where they can be reasonably certain that they're on home ground.

^ This All the normies want to talk to the community managers and pretend they are friends. No real talk going to happen there.

That being said, if we're talking coh2.org specifically, yes, there's been a downtick in activity pretty much since the last Company of Heroes 2 balance patch.

A lot of the people that come here knew Coh3 was coming and stopped caring about Coh2. Once Coh3 was officially announced, there was no reason to come here and talk about Coh2. So the site dwindled down. Coh3 is not the best right now so there is nothing to talk about.

I still feel ORG is hands down the best place to chat Coh. The less normies/goons/donkeys we get here the better.
27 Jul 2023, 04:32 AM

And I think discord and reddit are better for lots of things, but organized balance convos isnt one of them. Are ppl having balance discussions there? Dont rly use reddit much but i use discord quite often. Tracking a balance convo in a discord server sounds impossible

I can agree to this to some extent. Every time I use Reddit, I question the intelligence of humanity. Reddit sucks balls. People that like Reddit probably like Home Depot(US). Its like rummaging around in some old guys garage and you cant find anything.

Discord can be a decent place since you can branch off discussions. But it turns to spaghetti real fast. Couple things Discord has over ORG is copy paste media and up-vote/down-vote. The donkeys love pasting their gifs, etc.

but I still lean towards ORG as the best place to have long convos about a topic such as balance.
27 Jul 2023, 04:34 AM

And what to discuss CoH3? There is nothing to discuss, the game is boring and not interesting. And I will not stop saying the obvious thing - balance is not equal to interest and fun.

In CoH2, people were very interested and enthusiastic about the game, constantly offering ideas, commanders, etc. But Relic was either deaf or unable to do anything. Then Relic just gave up on the game and allowed to make small patches. Enthusiasm vanished, faith in Relic waned as well, and a failed DoW3 cemented Relic's reputation.
27 Jul 2023, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

To be honest, I guess it's a mix of CoH3 not being interesting and the community here aging. I guess the majority here was in their teens to twenties when CoH2 released. Back then you just had time to fuck around half the day. Add ten years, you're working a 40h week, have responsibilities, family to take care of. Obviously activity here and gaming time will go down, especially if the 'new CoH' just doesn't live up to the expectations.

This forum has lived off of balance discussions and other platforms don't even come close. Reddit threads are short lived by design and discord is a mess if you jam a couple of hundred people into the same server. This forum was decently active up to the very last patch for CoH2 and has outlived many other traditional forums. The fact that this thread got quite some responses within half a day shows that people are still lurking.

But take CoH2 not being supported (so balance discussions being pointless), an maturing community, Relic losing trust and CoH3 being uninteresting together, it shouldn't surprise anyone that there is relatively little in depth discussion anymore.
27 Jul 2023, 08:36 AM

To be honest, I guess it's a mix of CoH3 not being interesting and the community here aging. I guess the majority here was in their teens to twenties when CoH2 released. Back then you just had time to fuck around half the day. Add ten years, you're working a 40h week, have responsibilities, family to take care of. Obviously activity here and gaming time will go down, especially if the 'new CoH' just doesn't live up to the expectations.

This forum has lived off of balance discussions and other platforms don't even come close. Reddit threads are short lived by design and discord is a mess if you jam a couple of hundred people into the same server. This forum was decently active up to the very last patch for CoH2 and has outlived many other traditional forums. The fact that this thread got quite some responses within half a day shows that people are still lurking.

But take CoH2 not being supported (so balance discussions being pointless), an maturing community, Relic losing trust and CoH3 being uninteresting together, it shouldn't surprise anyone that there is relatively little in depth discussion anymore.

Very well put, and a good addition to what Aerafield said. Even though the playernumbers a dwindling, there are new people to the coh-franchise because of coh3 and its very likely they are younger and thus prefer to use mediums such as reddit & discord.

That said, you cant have a meaningful discussion on those platforms because the hivemind will forget about it within hours as threads either dont exist or fissle out due to how the platform functions. On top of that reddit is just a mess with people not understanding what the up and downvotes are for.
Resulting in: Funny = upvoted to heaven, a well thoughtout comment will a medium amount of text = some upvotes, comments that are simply against the grain = downvote to hell.
27 Jul 2023, 08:48 AM

There isn't really any pressing balance issue to rage about endlessly as balance is pretty damn solid and 100% of threads certain vocal individual engages with gets locked due to him arguing with everyone for the sake of arguing alone, hence not many threads.
27 Jul 2023, 09:23 AM

Well its never going to be like their official forums, but 18 posts deep in a relatively short space of time would suggest that the forum isn't quite dead yet.

Plus Basedsecretary doesn't really post anymore. He was responsible for quite a lot of traffic I think.
27 Jul 2023, 12:03 PM

It's hard to even get at the balance of the game when so many other aspects of it are broken. My impression seems to be that, with the veritable mountain of other issues aside, the game falls into the pretty standard RTS model of having only one or two viable strategies per faction - I'm sure the majority of people don't really care about this too much. Any RTS game (or competitive activity, for that matter) will have a meta, the nuance comes in how defined or restrictive that meta is. Company of Heroes 2 had major problems with this from its early days, but the community balance patches introduced an environment where you could get away with odd or unconventional strategies, and for the most part, you weren't restricted to a well-defined build order.

Company of Heroes 3, in this respect, is just plain boring. The reduction of individual squad modularity in favour of reintroducing global upgrades was a major step backwards, and combat overall feels very dull. The dust hasn't settled from release yet so there are still cases where an outlier unit is defining a faction's response to a number of threats and leading to scenarios where some units never see the light of day. No lessons were learned, apparently, nor was pre-release feedback taken into account.

The real reason, though, that I think these forums are somewhat dead is that the game is mostly dead. The release drove away a large portion of the long-time members of the community, and the continued poor quality of the patch efforts hasn't exactly encouraged others to stick around. It's very quickly dwindling to a small number of sycophants and a deluded few who think that Relic is going to pull a miracle out of their ass. I would love to be proven absolutely wrong, but I think that's just not going to happen. Either way, there's not really much to talk about, other than the fact that the game is circling the drain. Those watching a car crash don't usually have much to say in the moment either.

We get it. You don't like it. You've been going on about it for almost half a year.

Good grief man. Get over it. At this point despite some valid points that are painfully obvious, it's becoming quite clear that your many of your observations that you're throwing out are just uneducated blathering about something you clearly don't own.

I can't imagine if you did spend a dime. Everyone in a 100km radius around you would develop cancer.
27 Jul 2023, 12:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2023, 12:03 PMKoRneY

We get it. You don't like it. You've been going on about it for almost half a year.

As far as I can tell, neither him nor Crecer have chosen to spent any money on the game because they hate it. But boy oh boy do they love to tell people about it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 52
South Africa 1
Germany 769
Peru 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %