Login

russian armor

COH3 is going to be a massive flop

14 Jan 2023, 10:56 AM

I don't know how you can have a opinion so adamant on this game. I have 17 hours on it and I'm still seeing new things every game, understanding how each faction works, getting wrecked by a new strats and doing them myself the next game. Some time I just zoom in around my units during, or after, a fight to see how it goes and that simply pretty.

Graphics are fine, I'll only ask for a bit more zoom out and yes there are some bugs around but so far nothing really special from what we're used to see at majority of game's release. They should also upgrade the house/church model.
I'm playing on medium graphic on a computer having 3/4 years old and the game runs perfectly, I experienced 2 crashes so far which is very low comparing to other games at the same stage. I could even play on higher graphics but I wanted to have better FPS. Graphics are pretty, the world environment is well done, many details, destructible.

Units texture are without skin so it is difficult to make myself a good idea of what it will be, but since it will be there selling point in the future I guess they're going to be more than fine.

Sound can be improved but for instance I was watching @A_E video on some units differences between each game iteration and the only sound that I found on over the top of everything else is the Coh1 Pz4 clinking sound when moving, completely baffling. The rest is different but I wouldn't consider it as bad.

I really appreciate Relic took more time to design a tactical strategic game than a shiny over beautiful but empty game. We have 4 factions that play differently and that are quite balanced at release. For sure we will see unbalanced stuff the more we learn to play it but those 17 hours on the game have been marked with the Fun seal of approval.

I was, before playing it, more on the no-buy it side and the fact we're still having random vs team annoy me to the maximum level but aside from it, everything else tells me buy it and enjoy the fun they put inside.

As conclusion I'll say don't pay much attention to what's written on Reddit or here or the official forum, the real feedback is from their number and the survey they asked us to fill, there everybody that like the game will respond as much as people who disliked it.
From those post of dislike popping here and there, they'll surely take the information seriously that graphics and sound still need improvement but certainly not making the game a flop.

So I'm considering buying it finally.
14 Jan 2023, 12:09 PM

I was on the bandwagon of hating on coh3 with the previous versions we got to play, but I have to say so far I am positivly suprised. The game so far has been fun to play, there are definetly balance concerns but that is rather a secondary objective of this test.

As many have said before there needs to be improvement on several things before launch:
- UI
Especially feedback of your own actions among many other things which have been said before
- Sounds
Hit and miss sounds of weapons and explosions, bad and missleading sound level differences between sounds from afar and nearby, good voice acting.
- Graphics
In general I am okay with the graphics considering its an play test release. Things definently need to be more polished.
Tanks dont give the impression of hunk of metal plowing through the terrain, while also looking a little bit like plastic.
Infantry really easily blends in with the environment and dont stick out on the default graphic settings (AA high, 50% brightness). AA on low/off aswell as 15% brightness helps alot imo.
Certain effects look way more bombastic than others while sometimes haveing a bigger visual effect than actual effect on the target.
14 Jan 2023, 12:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2023, 10:56 AMEsxile
I don't know how you can have a opinion so adamant on this game. I have 17 hours on it and I'm still seeing new things every game, understanding how each faction works, getting wrecked by a new strats and doing them myself the next game. Some time I just zoom in around my units during, or after, a fight to see how it goes and that simply pretty.

Graphics are fine, I'll only ask for a bit more zoom out and yes there are some bugs around but so far nothing really special from what we're used to see at majority of game's release. They should also upgrade the house/church model.
I'm playing on medium graphic on a computer having 3/4 years old and the game runs perfectly, I experienced 2 crashes so far which is very low comparing to other games at the same stage. I could even play on higher graphics but I wanted to have better FPS. Graphics are pretty, the world environment is well done, many details, destructible.

Units texture are without skin so it is difficult to make myself a good idea of what it will be, but since it will be there selling point in the future I guess they're going to be more than fine.

Sound can be improved but for instance I was watching @A_E video on some units differences between each game iteration and the only sound that I found on over the top of everything else is the Coh1 Pz4 clinking sound when moving, completely baffling. The rest is different but I wouldn't consider it as bad.

I really appreciate Relic took more time to design a tactical strategic game than a shiny over beautiful but empty game. We have 4 factions that play differently and that are quite balanced at release. For sure we will see unbalanced stuff the more we learn to play it but those 17 hours on the game have been marked with the Fun seal of approval.

I was, before playing it, more on the no-buy it side and the fact we're still having random vs team annoy me to the maximum level but aside from it, everything else tells me buy it and enjoy the fun they put inside.

As conclusion I'll say don't pay much attention to what's written on Reddit or here or the official forum, the real feedback is from their number and the survey they asked us to fill, there everybody that like the game will respond as much as people who disliked it.
From those post of dislike popping here and there, they'll surely take the information seriously that graphics and sound still need improvement but certainly not making the game a flop.

So I'm considering buying it finally.

Not sure how you can say grahpics are fine. I mean, what are the standards here? It`s 2023 and the game looks worse than COH2.

Just look at Youtube videos like this one from tightrope and read the comments:

The reactions are very negative all over the board. Not just in forums.

Also this screenshot shows pretty well how big this problem actually is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/10aszz8/reic_this_is_inacceptable_there_are_4_squads_and/

I am not sure how this can be considered fine, not even 2 months away from release. It`s simply ugly. Which might be fine for hardcore COH(1)-fans but in order for this to be a commercial success casual players need to be won over and with looks like that this won`t happen.

This is a great example of what I mean as well. This channel has 300.000 subscribers and the first impression of COH3 is just bad because of the graphics.
14 Jan 2023, 13:27 PM

I like how theoretically if you go infantry support company as US you could only build infantry and just outmaneuver the enemy with sheer numbers. I played axis and just the sheer amount and quality of US troops shredded my non elite infantry and made my tanks vulnerable. Don't sleep on the infantry company...

Also, playing air support company + airborne commander... absolutely my favorite combo in the game. It's basicaly CoH2 wehr CAS doctrine but way better.

If you set it up right you can get
1. Smoke drop OR Recon loiter
2. 160 manpower for 80 muni + healing crates supply drop (dont have to tech medical at base)
3. FREE Recon overflight that gives sight when upgraded
4. P47 strafing run
5. 60 muni stuka (p47) dive bomb
6. P47 AT Rocket Strafe OR Carpet bombing run

American air support is amazing.

I guess u quoted the wrong post, but yes, US airsupport is absolutely badass

Speaking of airborne, being able to drop a crewed MG onto VPs 30 seconds into the match is rather spicy
14 Jan 2023, 13:41 PM

I guess u quoted the wrong post, but yes, US airsupport is absolutely badass

Speaking of airborne, being able to drop a crewed MG onto VPs 30 seconds into the match is rather spicy

Nah mate quoted you because I am also on the hopium.
14 Jan 2023, 15:04 PM

it's because of the letmezoomout-crying in the forums and candy crush mobile gamers

14 Jan 2023, 15:57 PM

Not sure how you can say grahpics are fine. I mean, what are the standards here? It`s 2023 and the game looks worse than COH2.

Just look at Youtube videos like this one from tightrope and read the comments:

The reactions are very negative all over the board. Not just in forums.

Also this screenshot shows pretty well how big this problem actually is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/10aszz8/reic_this_is_inacceptable_there_are_4_squads_and/

I am not sure how this can be considered fine, not even 2 months away from release. It`s simply ugly. Which might be fine for hardcore COH(1)-fans but in order for this to be a commercial success casual players need to be won over and with looks like that this won`t happen.

This is a great example of what I mean as well. This channel has 300.000 subscribers and the first impression of COH3 is just bad because of the graphics.

1- What I'm supposed to see in Tighrope's video? I'm not watching an hour long video to understand what you can't explain in two lines.

2- Hot reactions are always negatives, people enjoying the game are actually playing it.

3- Your screenshot shows a bug, cool bro, sure there are many bug still in game and for sure even after release. Shall we say coh2 is shit atm because we still have the Unit command UI bug on some maps?

4- Don't know who's doing this preview but -Oh it's horrible, look at it, how horrible it is. Cool bro, what an analysis.

5- At release Coh2 was way worst, people were complaining that the graphical thematic was bad compared to coh1, and today with coh3 we see the same discussion with the same arguments.

At the end, you don't like it, fair enough it's your opinion, you don't like its graphics, fair enough it's your taste, but that don't go further.
14 Jan 2023, 17:36 PM

I still cant believe this is how Coh3 will look when released. I wont believe it. As I stated, if it looks like this on release Relic should die as a company.

The textures themselves look much better than Coh1 or 2. Much more detail and variety. Object variety looks better. All of the things that will make this game pop much more to everyone playing it.

The limiting factor is the washed out renderings and the horrible color choices.

As I stated above, the graphics look like they are being heavily fogged. So all colors are being blended to the fog color. So everything pixel on the terrain is a version of RGB(128,128,128). This makes it very hard to make out units and everything lacks punch.

There is also a whole part of the rendering pipeline missing: Specular. This is the thing that adds shine to reflective objects. I have only noticed Specular highlights on windows in Coh3. This is why all of the vehicles look like dust covered plastic.

I think when the final version appears, Relic will turn off the fogging and add the specular back in. And when they do things will look glorious.

If I still see ugly green text on the points when released I will have to assume the company has been taken over by 3 year olds who are just learning colors. And no one should buy the game. That is the canary in the coal mine.

EDIT: Note that both the Fog and Specular are things that are edited on a per map basis in the worldbuilder. At a minimum, custom made maps have the chance of looking good.
14 Jan 2023, 17:56 PM

Relic doesn't care about multiplayer on PC

They are all focus on console release

We can just hope it will be a fail, but many people seems enthusiasts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cagsy3jUGFg
14 Jan 2023, 19:55 PM

This is the very same thread we hat at release/open beta of CoH2.

14 Jan 2023, 23:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2023, 19:55 PMKatitof
This is the very same thread we hat at release/open beta of CoH2.

Hits the nail on the head.
No joke, i remember the very similar threads over 9 years ago.

"coh 2 is such a shame." "They had so much time for a part 2 and then it's just a bad copy of coh1." "Coh1 looks better with mods than coh2." "coh2 will have no playerbase and die soon and people will come back to coh1." "Coh2 has a lousy balance, is full of bugs and is no fun." "The sound in coh2 is so crappy, mg42 sounds like plastic, every mod in coh1 has better sounds than coh2" .... "modders from coh1 could have made a better coh2" .... and many such complaints. Even serious accusations that every idea for coh2 was stolen from the eastern front mod in coh1 ^^

Daily greets the groundhog? I don't understand the excitement. Who wants a new game and loves the variety will be happy. If you love coh2, you can continue to enjoy the game as before.

I am glad about coh3. It's not quite my desired setting - but coh2 has become more than predictable and boring after over 9 years.
The large selection of different skills, ways to tech, units and possible strategies is simply a joy compared to coh2.

Same as in the threads back in 2013 ... dont know why people hope and wish that a game will be a flop. And at the end i saw this players in coh2 with 1000 - 2000 hours ingame :DDDD
15 Jan 2023, 00:47 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

It is happening again. But at the same time, if I look past the visual side and audio, the game mechanics are spot on for me. I've spent over 20hours and really enjoyed my time.

Here's hoping they can fix the visuals and audio after release.

15 Jan 2023, 01:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2023, 15:57 PMEsxile

1- What I'm supposed to see in Tighrope's video? I'm not watching an hour long video to understand what you can't explain in two lines.

2- Hot reactions are always negatives, people enjoying the game are actually playing it.

3- Your screenshot shows a bug, cool bro, sure there are many bug still in game and for sure even after release. Shall we say coh2 is shit atm because we still have the Unit command UI bug on some maps?

4- Don't know who's doing this preview but -Oh it's horrible, look at it, how horrible it is. Cool bro, what an analysis.

5- At release Coh2 was way worst, people were complaining that the graphical thematic was bad compared to coh1, and today with coh3 we see the same discussion with the same arguments.

At the end, you don't like it, fair enough it's your opinion, you don't like its graphics, fair enough it's your taste, but that don't go further.

The comments to tightrope`s video show the negative impression most casual players have of COH3. I clearly said that in the previous post.

The other YouTube channel is another example of this. These are the types of people COH3 needs to win over but with graphics and sounds that bad it`s not going to happen.

The screenshot just shows how insanely hard it is to see units without the UI symbols around them. They blend in way too much still.
15 Jan 2023, 02:38 AM

Its a bit of joke that COH1 was lightyears ahead of its time with the graphics and COH3 doesn't look much better than COH2 10 years later.

Gameplay wise COH3 is looking really damn good. The way the factions (and doctrines) are designed is a massive step up from COH2. Gone are the days of having early game AT units that can carry you 30 minutes in to the game and deciding between buying vehicle A or vehicle B. Now you have all kinds of things to spend that fuel on, and if you make bad teching choices you're going to open yourself up to nasty counter play options that you can't really defend against. People that only played COH2 never knew what it was like to get stomped out by T3 rush because you fucked up and don't have enough fuel to field AT guns 8 minutes in to the game.
15 Jan 2023, 03:18 AM

I've been thinking a lot about the game during the tech test, changed my mind a few times and IMHO it's a bit early to say whether the game will succeed/fail. Long term support will be crucial in any case.

I will say that the extra time they had shows up well in this version, when compared to an earlier test. For regular COH2 players it is quite easy to get into the factions, once you are familiarised with the hybridised (COH1 + COH2) tech structure. I seriously doubt many ppl missed having to send engineers back to base just to build tech buildings, esp backteching SOV T2.

Yes the balance is all over the place, but this is to be expected for a brand new game. There are many familiar problem units, but they're in a sea of new units who have balancing problems of their own. "Everything is OP" indeed.

Maybe COH3'll work out great, maybe not. But I do know one thing for certain, I wouldn't want to be senior management for a project like this. The pressure must be immense.
15 Jan 2023, 04:33 AM

Guastatori: "Guastatori! Conquistare quel punto!"

The two MGs I set up to cover the victory point:

15 Jan 2023, 05:04 AM

if you make bad teching choices you're going to open yourself up to nasty counter play options that you can't really defend against.

Can you expand on this?

This is why I never play 1v1. You just want to have fun and pick a fun commander, but instead you get punked because you didn't try to guess what the enemy was going to pick and pick to counter it. So you get stuck playing some lame commander you don't want to play at all.

That is the opposite of fun to me personally. I can see the benefit of it in a 1v1 chess match though.
15 Jan 2023, 05:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2023, 05:04 AMRosbone

Can you expand on this?

This is why I never play 1v1. You just want to have fun and pick a fun commander, but instead you get punked because you didn't try to guess what the enemy was going to pick and pick to counter it. So you get stuck playing some lame commander you don't want to play at all.

That is the opposite of fun to me personally. I can see the benefit of it in a 1v1 chess match though.

What I meant was spending too much fuel on the wrong things at the wrong times setting you up for a bad mid/late game as the tech progresses. So for example you spend a bunch of resources on infantry upgrades but never managed to make much of an impact with those, you're now behind on fuel and get punished by someone that rushes fast mid game vehicles. Or if someone is going very infantry heavy and is managing to do some damage, you need to slow down and spend that fuel on upgrades that will keep you in the game instead of holding on too long for late tech.

What you're saying about commanders I totally agree with. Interesting counter choices should revolve around decisions made during the game, not which commanders happened to be brought in.
15 Jan 2023, 07:21 AM

Sounds good, thanks.
15 Jan 2023, 08:28 AM

Its a bit of joke that COH1 was lightyears ahead of its time with the graphics and COH3 doesn't look much better than COH2 10 years later.

You can't really do groundbreaking invention with every iteration of the game. New sub genre can appear only once, unless you want to drop all the players enjoying it, you pretty have to have to make it again on follow up titles with improvements.

Unless you want to innovate forcefully and end up with DoW3 again.

And if graphics are problem and don't look great for you, well, upgrade.
Its rather obvious that graphics in modern times will not have as leaping jumps as it had 10-15 years ago as we're reaching rapidly cap of what current technology can produce.

Its astonishing seeing amount of people not understanding that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS