Login

russian armor

Why is the Maxim so bad?

PAGES (8)down
21 Jun 2022, 16:08 PM

Yeah, but you already mentioned the devs giving pios the extended sight to "encourage combined arms". Which is what *I* was talking about.

It seem that developers do consider the use of an infatry and support weapon as "combined arms".

"Pioneers
Our aim is to encourage positional play and combined arms, which the Wehrmacht faction tends to reply on more than any other faction. With an increase in sight (albeit still lower than pathfinders) we are allowing Pioneers to help spot for their HMGs and other support teams.
Sight increased from 35 to 42"

It could had been even worse if the developers had gone with original idea of giving the extra sight to Grenadiers...
21 Jun 2022, 16:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 14:59 PMKatukov

-you dont need faster setup/pickup, thats the whole point of the mg-42
- "transverse speed" ??? you mean the speed at which it targets units? indistinguishable from any other MG.
-bullshit it damages minute 0 LVs just fine, with the ability it probably kills every LV short of a T-70 or stuart really quick

its the best MG in the game and the only actual weakness is the low squad count, inherent to the faction itself.

so, correct me if im wrong, the moment you get a LV vs Wehrmacht instead of flanking the MG you go face down on it and start shooting from the front? And then complain because it has AT bullets on vet1?

im pretty sure such stupidity was never properly coded in from the devs that's why you make a deal out of it here
21 Jun 2022, 19:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 16:08 PMVipper
It seem that developers do consider the use of an infatry and support weapon as "combined arms".

I'm well aware. Which is why I mentioned it.

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 15:56 PMAlphrum
Ive never had problem with the maxim being able to supress, the only time i find the maxim to be trash is in the late game when there is yellow cover everywhere and squads can literally walk up to you without getting supressed.

Oh maxim suppresses alright, it just doesn't pin within the amount of time that it needs to to keep itself alive. All there needs to be are two panzergrens (or any unit with a deadly grenade), a bit of space between them, and enough munitions to throw one. No matter how you micro the maxim, without Suppressive fire, you're not going to be able to pin both of them before they can get close enough to throw the bundle grenade.

It gets worse the more deadly the opponent is, which is why I said that you need time to ready and pop suppressive fire. Because of the deathloop, if you don't suppress long range blobs quick enough, your MG is dead as soon as the first model drops. This wouldn't be an issue if you could at least retreat it, but unlike the MG42 the gun does not teleport to the next retreating model and instead the surviving members have to run back and pick it back up (this should really either be a feature of all MGs or NO MGs, because as far as I know, teleportation technology hadn't been perfected in the 40's yet. Or in the 2020's, for that matter).
21 Jun 2022, 21:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 16:08 PMVipper

"Pioneers
Our aim is to encourage positional play and combined arms, which the Wehrmacht faction tends to reply on more than any other faction. With an increase in sight (albeit still lower than pathfinders) we are allowing Pioneers to help spot for their HMGs and other support teams.
Sight increased from 35 to 42"

It could had been even worse if the developers had gone with original idea of giving the extra sight to Grenadiers...

After all the balance patches, every single meta build is 1 or 2 mg and AT guns for every single faction minus USF who usually go for multiple MG and zooms unless they back tech. So that statement is no longer makes sense. Hell, OST can get their 6th unit which is usually a 4th Gren before USF gets their 5th unit(either LT or CPT). That MG has all the support and vision it needs without PIO vision.
21 Jun 2022, 21:44 PM

After all the balance patches, every single meta build is 1 or 2 mg and AT guns for every single faction minus USF who usually go for multiple MG and zooms unless they back tech. So that statement is no longer makes sense. Hell, OST can get their 6th unit which is usually a 4th Gren before USF gets their 5th unit(either LT or CPT). That MG has all the support and vision it needs without PIO vision.

Ostheer are meant and do have more cost efficient support weapons so it does make perfect sense.
21 Jun 2022, 22:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 13:46 PMAlphrum

Yes ost NEEDS fast access to Faust or clown car will destroy ost early game. Pio got given sight to spot for mg42s and they work well together and encourages combined arms but i dont find that game breaking at all and wouldn't mind even if it was put behind vet.

Grens vet 3 damage reduction REPLACED the RA they get at vet 3 (-23% Received Accuracy replaced by -20% damage reduction) it essentially makes no difference to grens performance vs small arms fire, it ONLY made them more resistant to explosive damage. ANd it was a necessary change to make them more survivable vs tanks and arty because they are only 4 man and get wiped easily, other solution would have been to make them 5man which would have been way worse.

Allied inf had damage reduction (rangers was it?) + RA protection and with 5 man. to put it simply, you have grens + damage reduction vs rangers + damage reduction + RA protection + 5 man, you srsly want to compare the 2?

Mg42 does seem cheap when you look at other MGS's but these prices shouldn't be compared directly as they come in different factions and have different reasons for ther pricing. in the case of maxim, it costing more has nothing to do with its performance but more to do to deter people from spamming it

I forgot that damage reduction replaced rec acc. So yeah i stand corrected on that.

With the maxims current preformance no1 is going to spamm it. People need to let go of the past. Spamming mg42 is more effective esp with pios close by.
Maxim ok at best currently, all its op stats got nerfed hard, its price should reflect that or the mg42 needs an increase in price.
A nerf so hard and a price increase is just stupid.
21 Jun 2022, 22:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 21:44 PMVipper

Ostheer are meant and do have more cost efficient support weapons so it does make perfect sense.

But the only support weapon that is more cost efficient is the MG42. The Soviet mortar might perform a tiny bit worse but has better durability and flare which is a great ability. The ZIS is straight up the most efficient support unit in the game as it can perform AT and mortar duties along with great durability.

Personally, this is why I believe maxim will stay “bad”. If it were any better, even with a slow start a T2 rush would become unbeatable due to attrition and staying power from merge.
22 Jun 2022, 06:31 AM

so, correct me if im wrong, the moment you get a LV vs Wehrmacht instead of flanking the MG you go face down on it and start shooting from the front? And then complain because it has AT bullets on vet1?

im pretty sure such stupidity was never properly coded in from the devs that's why you make a deal out of it here

I regularly kill Universal Carriers with MG-42 since the Pioneer vision allows me to activate the ability before the enemy can even see where my MG-42 is positioned and the UC gets instant killed. The AT performance for the MG-42 is way out of line even going as far as being able to kill USF AA Halftrack so fast the other play doesn't even have a chance to react. It should not kill light vehicles faster than an AT Gun.

Imagine if any allied MG was able to instant delete any of the Axis vehicles before the player could even react.

Incendiary Rounds (Vet 1 MG-42 ability) grants:
100% increase damage
50% faster reload
+9 Penetration

The MG-42 is strong enough as it is and it simply does not need to be that strong of a counter vs vehicles, especially with free Panzerfaust, earlier Panzer Grenadiers, and early Scout Car available as options. Personally I think the +9 Penetration should be removed and Grenadiers are given the option to get Panzerbüchse 39 (available for Grenadiers in single player) if they feel they need early AT.

22 Jun 2022, 06:55 AM

I regularly kill Universal Carriers with MG-42 since the Pioneer vision allows me to activate the ability before the enemy can even see where my MG-42 is positioned and the UC gets instant killed. The AT performance for the MG-42 is way out of line even going as far as being able to kill USF AA Halftrack so fast the other play doesn't even have a chance to react. It should not kill light vehicles faster than an AT Gun.

Imagine if any allied MG was able to instant delete any of the Axis vehicles before the player could even react.

Incendiary Rounds (Vet 1 MG-42 ability) grants:
100% increase damage
50% faster reload
+9 Penetration

The MG-42 is strong enough as it is and it simply does not need to be that strong of a counter vs vehicles, especially with free Panzerfaust, earlier Panzer Grenadiers, and early Scout Car available as options. Personally I think the +9 Penetration should be removed and Grenadiers are given the option to get Panzerbüchse 39 (available for Grenadiers in single player) if they feel they need early AT.

Have you even seen a kubel take 0.5/Dshk AP rounds?
22 Jun 2022, 07:29 AM

But the only support weapon that is more cost efficient is the MG42. The Soviet mortar might perform a tiny bit worse but has better durability and flare which is a great ability. The ZIS is straight up the most efficient support unit in the game as it can perform AT and mortar duties along with great durability.

Personally, this is why I believe maxim will stay “bad”. If it were any better, even with a slow start a T2 rush would become unbeatable due to attrition and staying power from merge.

Yes the gap between ostheer support weapons and other faction has been reduces.
22 Jun 2022, 15:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2022, 06:55 AMVipper

Have you even seen a kubel take 0.5/Dshk AP rounds?

DSHK is not available at the start of the match like the MG-42 is (depending on the game with Vet bulletins you can hit Vet 1 after the first/second engagement with MG-42 well before 2 CP)

DSHK comes in at 2 CP and why would you need a DSHK vs Kubel? It dies fairly quickly with just a Maxim or anything really especially if you get lucky with RNG and all your hits penetrate the Kubel.

tldr an alliedcuck who impersonates a wehraboo to push his stupid point that ost mgs can nuke almost anything out of existence

tbh this is a sad post

I have around 9-10,000 games played in COH2 with a fairly even rate between all of the factions. I actually have slightly more games with Axis than I do allies and only because I always get invited into premade arranged teams for Axis.

I don't prefer or favor any faction over the other. If is overpowered then I call it like it is.

The simple fact is that the MG-42 has been over performing and is overtuned. Coming from someone who said that the Sturmtiger was never OP you honestly have no place speaking about balance in any way.
22 Jun 2022, 16:26 PM

Imagine if any allied MG was able to instant delete any of the Axis vehicles before the player could even react. ...

DSHK is not available at the start of the match like the MG-42 is (depending on the game with Vet bulletins you can hit Vet 1 after the first/second engagement with MG-42 well before 2 CP)

DSHK comes in at 2 CP and why would you need a DSHK vs Kubel? It dies fairly quickly with just a Maxim or anything really especially if you get lucky with RNG and all your hits penetrate the Kubel.

Yet both of these HMG delete axis light vehicles so there is not need for one to imagine anything.

And both of them do not even need AP round vs kubel since the have higher penetration than the kubel's armor.
22 Jun 2022, 17:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2022, 16:26 PMVipper

Yet both of these HMG delete axis light vehicles so there is not need for one to imagine anything.

And both of them do not even need AP round vs kubel since the have higher penetration than the kubel's armor.

this is a good talking point, axis players simply leave their LVs in narrow MG firing ranges
22 Jun 2022, 18:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2022, 17:48 PMKatukov

this is a good talking point, axis players simply leave their LVs in narrow MG firing ranges

Don't you know that maxim loses frontally to kubel if distracted? :rofl:
23 Jun 2022, 06:32 AM

Don't you know that maxim loses frontally to kubel if distracted? :rofl:

I could almost believe this but it's too good to be true.
23 Jun 2022, 14:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2022, 15:22 PMAlphrum

-you would need faster setup times if you like to reposition ur mg or move when getting flanked. your making it sound like mg42 has 360 view and can see through smoke. Regarding the mg42, i was responding to Kurobane about "mg42 having the best of everything" the Mg can have which is not true. But the mg42 does have the best of many things a MG can have, but not everything (like setup/repack time).

-never said it cant damage early light vehicles, it just doesn't counter those LV;s like clown car and UC effectively, unless it has AP, read my comment properly next time.

-never denied its not the best mg in the game. in fact ive said many times it is the best mg in the game

im not gonna waste my time on this

-that should be the case, it has a wide as fuck firing arc and should thus be prone to flanks by virtue of already being harder to flank than say a maxim

-clown car takes considerable damage from the MG-42 and retreats before being able to make the MG retreat, but the UC does better and can probably even scare off the MG with an upgrade, provided the MG-42 isn't in cover

-it doesn't do literally everything perfectly (setup or tear down), but it's flaws are far outmached by it's strengths and thus they are essentially negligible
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS